2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Don J Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys-
I'm sure this question has been asked but I'd love to get an updated opinion. I'm a huge fan of the beautiful piano sound from my FP-7f but after using some friends amps at recent gigs, I have yet to be happy with the sound if it isn't coming out of my speakers.
I'm not really all that savvy on technical stuff... I'm more of a trained classical pianist who is starting to get into the electronic side of things, so the more details the better.
Thanks!

Don Jones
The Studios Brookhaven
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
EDIT: Some text removed because I didn't understand the question

Getting speakers that sound awesome with a digital piano is quite a challenging task. Depends on how big a space you want to fill and other things as well. I'll be interested to hear what you and the forum come up with.

Last edited by gvfarns; 11/27/11 02:14 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Donny J
Hey guys-
I'm sure this question has been asked but I'd love to get an updated opinion. I'm a huge fan of the beautiful piano sound from my FP-7f but after using some friends amps at recent gigs, I have yet to be happy with the sound if it isn't coming out of my speakers.
I'm not really all that savvy on technical stuff... I'm more of a trained classical pianist who is starting to get into the electronic side of things, so the more details the better.
Thanks!

Your piano plays in Stereo therefore you need two speakers ( PA monitors such as the QSC K12's , Yamaha DSR115's or JBL EON515's come to mind of the top of my head) or a stereo keyboard amp (The Traynor K4, Roland K-880 or the best option the Motion Sound KP-500SN)

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dr P, is the the Roland KC-880 significantly better than the KC-550 or KC-350?

I use these for band practises and occasionally live gigs with my NE3, but the acoustic pianos always sound brittle and nasally.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The KC-550 and 350 are mono so you need to use two of them with stereo link between them to get anything like a half decent sound.
All Roland KC's are pretty much rubbish although 2 KC-880's linked sound ok. None of them are very good for acoustic pianos really. If you want nice pianos you need 2 x PA monitors like the QSC K12's or the Motion Sound KP-500SN (which I've always liked ...others opinions differ but its certainly got the balls for great AP's) Any way you look at it it requires careful choice of the speakers/amp system you monitor on stage with.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
If the purpose is to play at live gigs, stereo is not necessarily required. (That's a whole thread by itself.) You could certainly start with one and add a second later.

I think the aforementioned EV ZXa1 does sound better than the QSC (I've only heard the K8) or the RCF 410A, though it will not play as loud as those do. I don't think you can beat that EV anywhere near the price, size, or weight. In a bigger speaker, I'm impressed with the JBL PRX625 (the only JBL I've heard in the PRX series), and its handles are well placed so that it's not as hard to move as its 60 pound weight might indicate. Nicely, you can sit it right on the floor, which also saves you the nuisance of dealing with the speaker stand you would need for the others.

Edit: To clarify, these are all self-contained amplifier-and-speaker units.

Last edited by anotherscott; 11/27/11 05:42 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just bought a Hartke KM60 and as far as amps go, I think it sounds pretty good. It's been a while since I sold my previous KC350, but I don't remember it sounding as warm as the Hartke. It also includes a 7-band EQ which, while small, really helps fine tune the sound.

Les C Deal

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Donny J
Hey guys-
Thanks!

It is not 100% clear what you are asking for. Some people call a box with electronics and a speaker an "amp". ut technically the "mp" is electronics and the "spears is the round thing that makes noise that is likely housed in a box.

You say you have speakers? So all you need is the amp. First question is the form factor. Does this need t mount into a rack. What are the specs on the speakers and how large is the venue. Rack mount amplifiers are not hard to buy and they have gotten cheap, even for big ones. The hardest part to buy is always the speakers and you say you have some you like already.

I think, in order to get meaningful advice you are going to have to supply some more details.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have used or owned just about every keyboard amp in the past, including Motion Sound, Roland KC500, Peavy, and find that they all are less than ideal. The Motion Sound was the worst, had to replace all the pots after just a year, even those I pretty much never turned.

The repair guy said they were cheap junk to start with. And the sound was ok, but not worth the $$$ and the weight, IMHO.

What works best for me is a PA setup, either a powered head with passive speakers, or Powered speakers w/a small mixer, such as a Peavy PV6. Currently I use Mackie SRM 450s and a small mixer, and it sounds great. I use only one Mackie when gigging w/o the clonewheel organ.

The sound is cleaner, and the control you have over it is greater.

As for needing stereo amps because the piano is sampled in stereo, or else the sound is terrible, that I have never seen in many years of gigging with top quality keyboards, including Roland, Kurzweil, and Yamaha. Maybe it is with certain keyboards, but I have never seen it.

Stereo, however, is a big benefit, almost a must, if you have a clonewheel organ. I have a Nord electro, and the Leslie effect is much more effective with two amps. With mono, it is there, but much less.

But for a good acoustic piano output, it is an urban myth that stereo is necessary for good sound, but that is just my opinion.

Keep in mind that when you listen to a real acoustic piano, say a grand, because that is what is commonly sampled, you are not hearing it in true stereo.

If sitting at the keys, you are hearing a mono mix, because the sound is primarily going out sideways from the curved side of the piano, reflected to your right by the propped lid. You are also hearing it bounce off the floor.

If the music desk is up, that masks the sound even more. If the lid is closed you are getting it mostly bounced off the floor from the soundboard. That too is mixed by the time you hear it.

If sitting in the audience, the sound also is mono mixed, because the sound is coming out sideways, basically. The bass is further away from the audience than the treble, so the sounds come to you not left and right, but mixed.

BTW, the piano on my CD is recorded in stereo in the studio, but the live cuts are mono, and the piano sounds basically the same, not degraded because it is in mono.

And all these pianos have a "mono out" jack, which means the manufacturer designed it so that it would sound good in mono.

Just my 2 cents.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
The Roland KC-350/KC-550 have stereo (separate left and right) inputs, yet the amp itself consists of a single speaker. Is there any benefit in connecting both inputs if the result sound is just summed to mono?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission