2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Since you are close to Detroit, go see Evola Pianos. I had the opportunity to visit two of their locations when I was in the market - Jim Evola was extremely helpful. Maybe you have already been there - they carry Estonia.

Jonathan

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
If you like it, there shouldnt be any reason you shouldn't buy it. The PianoCD system, well, if it's an old model, it's not worth very much at all. It's not going to be any use to you, if your kids are going to be playing the piano.

Have you played many other brands/models? Do you like any others? I agree with MrMagic on this one, brand name doesnt matter much (except in resale), and it should come down to whether or not you like a individual piano.

1942 Baldwin M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
We played a bunch: Kawai, Yamaha, Baldwin, Boston, etc... But of course brand names do matter as they do tend to have distinct characteristics, even though it is also true that pianos within each brand could have their individualities. We liked CW very much. My kids also liked an Estonia (6'3") and the used Schimmel. The problem is that there isn't one (yet) that makes us think that "this is it!", even though we know that everyone of these would be a fine choice...

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Yes!! That is more what I mean. The brand matters to some extent, because one manufacturer will have some kind of tone that is related to the manufacturer, but the individual piano's sound is more important. And I do know what you mean when you say you haven't seen/played a piano that says "this is it"... wink

1942 Baldwin M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I think I will make a trip to Walter factory.

If anyone has experience or advice on buying piano directly from the factories, would you mind sharing? What are things to watch out for that are unique to buying from factory?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
During my own grand piano shopping, I stopped by the CW factory in Elkhart (for a second time) this past summer. You will at least meet Richard (a son-in-law and engineer by training, if memory serves me correctly). At the time, they had 4 new model 175's on their floor in various finishes and a new polished mahogany 190.

They also had a used 190 or two for sale that were priced pretty well. I believe they are dealers for a couple of other brands too-- I seem to recall a new M&H model A on the floor and a partially restored Steinway grand too.

This is a very small operation, so I would suggest calling ahead to make an appointment to both tour the factory and have 2-3 of the pianos you're most interested in ready to show. At the time of my visit, Richard offered to have a technician (another family member, I believe) come by and tweak the instrument to my liking, if I decided to choose one of their pianos from the factory. Pricing was certainly competitive (although I have found this to be the case with the Walter pianos from their dealers too). Nice folks, and a nice piano.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission