2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Santa told me he's NOT bringing me the Galaxy Vienna Grand for Christmas, so I bought it for myself. Christmas arrived on Nov 29 this year.

This is presumably their Bösendorfer sampler. I liked Ivory's version of the Bosie, but this one is even better.

And, as much as I like the Galaxy Vintage D, I have to say that the Galaxy Vienna has a better and more distinctive clarity of tone (as did Ivory's Bosie). And it has that wonderful Bosie bass that Steinway can't touch. smile

The only downside is ... I seem to have become infected by Gear Acquisition Syndrome. frown

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The only downside is ... I seem to have become infected by Gear Acquisition Syndrome. frown

It is futile to resist. A terminal illness that is has only one treatment. You must buy all your friends on PW, gear. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
And it has that wonderful Bosie bass that Steinway can't touch. smile
3hearts

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
C
C
Santa told me he's NOT bringing me the Galaxy Vienna Grand for Christmas, so I bought it for myself.

Do you mean this version?

I am asking because the Galaxypianos homepage says that the single instruments are only available as "reduced Download Editions", however, the page I linked above says "NOW AS FULL DOWNLOAD VERSION!". (But then it also lists a 20 EUR item "update from DE"... so I don't get it.)

Could you please explain the system of the currently available versions? (Or at east what you have got smile

Thank you:

Kristof

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Santa told me he's NOT bringing me the Galaxy Vienna Grand for Christmas, so I bought it for myself. Christmas arrived on Nov 29 this year.

Good for you!

I never trusted that fat bastard who encourages little kids to sit in his lap ... and what's the deal with those elves?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
B
I too like the Vienna Grand more than the Vintage D. Glad I'm not the only one, as everyone is raving about the Vintage D...what's going on?! What's interesting for me is that there are other Steinway software pianos out there that sound more or less 'acceptable', but that's not the case with Boese. Almost all sampled Boeses I've listened to sound synthetic. The Galaxy Vienna Grand is not perfect, but better [read more organic, richer] than the competition [in my humble opinion, ofc :P].

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
MacMacMac:

Did you download it or get it in a box ?

And ... Once you have it, Do you just install it and it shows up as an option along with Galaxy Vintage D inside the Kontakt player ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
B
B
The only cure for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is to switch to an acoustic piano. One sound only, and no amount of gadgetry can change it (a piano tech doesn't count as 'gadget'....).

On the other hand, you can paint more coats of lacquer on it, decorate it in Christmassy colors, even buy a red drape or a small Christmas tree (real pianists would of course prefer a bust of Chopin or Liszt) to put on it.

Or upgrade to a Steinway D/Fazioli F308/Bösendorfer Imperial.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
G
G
as a fellow GASer (that sounds horrible!), I've been looking at this too. Does a typical modern laptop offer enough power to run this software at max capabilities? Is there any noticeable lag between keystrike and sound out of the speaker with this additional transfer/process?

Thanks smile

OP Offline
bennevis: Regarding GAS ... Would GasX or Beano help? smile

Gomer: I've successfully run Ivory 1.5 (under asHost) and Galaxy Vintage D and Galaxy Vienna Grand (under Kontakt 5). My laptop is a five-year-old Dell, dual core, 1.7 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP. This was a low or middle-of-the-road laptop in 2006, yet it's quite adequate. Any newer computer should do at least as well.

Latency might be an issue on any computer unless you use a suitable sound card to replace the original, built-in card. My laptop would NOT be suitable without such a replacement. That's probably true of newer computers, too.

There has been plenty of discussion here about sound cards. I have a Presonus. Someone else here recently bought a Focusrite. There's also a suitable box from M-Audio. They're easy to use.

G
G
Thanks. I'll have to look into this more (only looked at Galaxy on the surface and not sure where Kontakt 5 and the soundcard requirements fit into the puzzle especially if sending the laptop digital out to a standalone DAQ). For me, it'd either be a new laptop, or re-omission my MBP for this
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP541

J
J
MacMacMac-Which version did you get Boxed Or Download and from where?

In Advance

Thanks

Jack

J
J
Mac-you out there-just received Galaxy D & I am interested in getting the Vienna Grand so please let me know which version & where--

In advance Much appreciated!!!!

Great Day!

Jack

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission