2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1798762 12/01/11 08:10 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I got a project in school to compose 24 Preludes for solo piano and im supposed to be done by march.
Havent had any teacher or so, maybe i could get some opinion? Just for fun then. If someone would like to follow the project then I have got a Youtube channel where i will upload the pieces. I have only got some midi files up right now, but i will start uploading myself playing soon.
I always write down the piecers after that i have composed them, so that i can play them before i write them down. I have composed 13 of them, but I have only uploaded 2 this far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHdGXG13K8&feature=relmfu

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What class is this project for? I find it very interesting that you have a serious project like this but then said "I havent had any teacher".

Kudos to you for taking on this mountain of a project. I think the problem I would have is making sure that each piece was seperate in its own right and not too related to any of the others.

As for giving an opinion, I would hesitate in giving direct specifics because then the pieces are no longer yours but the persons' who are giving the suggestions.

Something I have started doing is listen to a piece and trying to get an idea of the chord progression/structure. Then I go back and listen to how the composer embelished the chord structure to give it an identity, how they developed the melody. This has helped me to better identify the composer I am listening to because they like to use the same "embelishments" often and it helps add more tricks and tools to my own bag of skills as a composer (as new as I am to this stuff).

Hope this helps.

BTW, I like what I am hearing from you so far.

Last edited by D4v3; 12/01/11 11:05 AM.

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are you going to do a prelude in each key? (that seems to be the tradition with such projects amongst composers)

They sound good. smile I think you should have a go at actually playing some of them and recording them - it makes the music far more interesting than the midi output.

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
P
OP Offline
P
Well to be honest, I dont know wich key is which, havent had any music theory or such.. so i dont think i will be able to do one in each key.
Thanks! smile I should have all of them recorded within 3month.
I am not in any music class or so, Its just that in my school you have to plan a project wich can involve many things. Im studying media and communication and have choosen to compose these 24 preludes and then record them, trying to think new and find my own style. Thanks for the nice words, the next ones I upload will be real performances.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think you really should try and get Music theory lessons, or at least get a book on the basics, or look here on the internet. Knowing the basics of how to put together chords and progressions and such will help you immeasurably when composing.

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think it's rather difficult (or even impossible), to come up with your 'own style' if you actually do not know what's out there in the first place!

The works are not that imaginative, to be honest (sorry to be harsh). The fact that most composers go for 24 (or 12) preludes has its roots in the fact that we have 12 tones and with the major/minor distinction you end up with 24! If you do not follow that with your key signatures, there's no other reason to go for 24, apart from tradition.

Will the teacher check the recording, or a score? Because in both cases you could use some further polishing up, though it might be difficult to do so at this stage (already having 13 done).

P
OP Offline
P
Well I am going to get some music theory lessons, but right now there is so much with the school and such.
I will need to finish school first before i can put more time on theory and stuff like that.
Have only written down 6 of the preludes, so i can still improve in writing them down.
I can not read sheet music, so it doesent help me very much to do so anyway, but im supposed to have all of them written down by april.

They wont judge on how bad or good the music is, just judge how i have planned and such, they are not music teachers so.
Doesent matter really what anyone thinks about it, it is just fun to hear what other people says. I compose it the way i want it to sound and feel like

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
If not music theory, what is the class?

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
P
OP Offline
P
I am studying Media and communication as i said

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

Yes, but, but....

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Bart Kinlein

Yes, but, but....

But? :S Its a project that can involve almost anything, it is obligatory to plan a project in my school. It is not for a particular class or anything

Last edited by pianoniklas; 12/11/11 06:06 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Why would you want to pick a project that you have zero experience on?

As an outsider I would see something like that and think that "A" you either REALLY love music so much that you are doing this or that "B" you REALLY don't understand music and think that composing is a mere practice of spewing ink on paper or that "C" you saw this as an easy way to do a difficult project.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be C

Some of my compositions
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by D4v3
Why would you want to pick a project that you have zero experience on?

As an outsider I would see something like that and think that "A" you either REALLY love music so much that you are doing this or that "B" you REALLY don't understand music and think that composing is a mere practice of spewing ink on paper or that "C" you saw this as an easy way to do a difficult project.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be C

Well I really do love music and its something that I would like to keep doing, both writing and playing. Many people in my school use the obligatory project to try something new, as a way of developing in something they like or are interested in. There is people writing books, some who design things and people who analyze poems etc. I wanted to compose music, and compose it the way I feel like. Maybe some people thinks that the pieces I am working on is spewed ink on paper, but atleast they mean something to me. I compose all of my music directly at the keyboard from the top of my head, and I have it finished before I even begin to write it down, so it is not like I write down random patterns or such.. I put a lot of time into it, and I am supposed to have put atleast 80hours in less than a year on the project, but I am very likely to exceed that. I hope I answeared your question

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You did, its answer A then. I wish you well and hope this isn't the last thing you write.

Some of my compositions
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks, I will keep writing music as long i feel happy doing so

So what kind of style are you going for?

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by SealedSage
So what kind of style are you going for?

Classical I think

P
OP Offline
P
Hey, I written down all of the 24 now. I will have them all recorded in a couple of weeks, hopefully. If someone wants to see some sheets or midi file i can send it. Send a message if you are intrested.

P
OP Offline
P
I have uploaded a real performance of me playing prelude no 19.

http://youtu.be/W_R5xftPk58

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Number 19 has some interesting spots. Better yet, while it's grand in nature you didn't make it too long. I appreciated your restraint. When it was over my first thought was that in composing a piece there often comes a time when the easy ideas run out and you have to be more creative. To me one of the biggest lessons as a composer is to get past the easy ideas quickly and only use the most essential, then make the rest of the piece an exercise in creativity. That increases the density of creativity in the music and to me that's a good thing.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission