Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#179911 - 05/18/08 12:14 AM Kawai KG-3D
doglover Offline

Loc: Midwest
I am considering trading in my 1998 Kawai upright for a grand. I am finding piano shopping terribly confusing. I saw a Kawai KG-3D today for a little under $15,000. It was made in 1985. Any thoughts?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#179912 - 05/18/08 01:22 AM Re: Kawai KG-3D
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Kick in a little more dinero $ and get a brand new Kawai RX2 or even an RX3. Is that including your Kawai uprt.as a trade in.? If you do that deal the salesmen will be high fiveing each other after hitting a home run at yor expense! The KG series was not apart of Kawai's artist series back than (mid 80's)(6'). The GS30,GS40,CA40 or NX40A is what you should be considering as to Kawai's artist level 6'1" grand. Don't make their day...much less their month ;\)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#179913 - 05/18/08 01:35 AM Re: Kawai KG-3D
doglover Offline

Thanks for your reply. No, my upright is not included. If I trade it in they will give me $4000 for it, so the grand would end up costing $11,000. I just had a tuning done on my upright and my tech said not to take less than $4000 on a trade in. I thought the price seemed high for the grand, but I wanted some opinions. I am really confused by this whole piano shopping experience. As some have said here, it's worse than buying a car!

#179914 - 05/18/08 12:09 PM Re: Kawai KG-3D
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's very simple. Sample the wares of various piano dealers and private parties (different makes and mdls.). Find a piano that personally and subjectively floats your boat. Post the various mdls.and pricepoints and the resident pros will advice you accordingly. What mdl.is your uprt.? A dealer may very well agree to give 4K for your uprt.but as you can see they can pad the price on the other end.
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145

#179915 - 05/18/08 01:30 PM Re: Kawai KG-3D
doglover Offline

My upright is a CX-21D. According to the Kawai website serial number reference it was made in Japan in 1998. I bought it used from a piano store in 1999 and had a damp chaser installed right away. I've taken very good care of it and I've had it serviced regularly. It has had what I would consider light use since I've had it and there have been some years when it wasn't played much at all. It has the polished ebony finish, which is also in very good shape.

As for my personal taste and preference, I really haven't tried enough pianos yet. I can tell you that I dislike the sharp, bright sound that a lot of pianos seem to have. I like a more mellow, but not muddy sound.

#179916 - 05/18/08 01:54 PM Re: Kawai KG-3D
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

To be quite honest with you the CX21D was Kawai's 48" uprt.though manufactured in the Japanese factory was not of their artist series. At that era the 49" NS20A was their better artist uprt. though more pricey than the CX21D. Not knowing actual discount policy as for dealers in your venue,"fair market value" may vary. On the west coast one could have purchased your piano "brand new" for not much more than what your tech assessed the value at for trade in purposes.
You have to realize a dealer buys wholesale therefore principal sake,they are not gonna allow more $ than what they could have purchased the piano brand new. Again they make their margin on the back end as in your case. Only persons that actually SELL pianos on a full time basis can actually assess true market value in that they are the ones that know what the market will bear. ;\) Make sense?
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145

#179917 - 05/18/08 02:07 PM Re: Kawai KG-3D
doglover Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
To be quite honest with you the CX21D was Kawai's 48" uprt.though manufactured in the Japanese factory was not of their artist series. At that era the 49" NS20A was their better artist uprt. though more pricey than the CX21D. Not knowing actual discount policy as for dealers in your venue,"fair market value" may vary. On the west coast one could have purchased your piano "brand new" for not much more than what your tech assessed the value at for trade in purposes.
You have to realize a dealer buys wholesale therefore principal sake,they are not gonna allow more $ than what they could have purchased the piano brand new. Again they make their margin on the back end as in your case. Only persons that actually SELL pianos on a full time basis can actually assess true market value in that they are the ones that know what the market will bear. ;\) Make sense? [/b]
I think so? Do you think I would be better off selling my piano privately rather than trying to trade it in?

#179918 - 05/18/08 02:07 PM Re: Kawai KG-3D
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Price is too high on the KG3. $4k for your trade is a retail (high blue book) expectation and a high one at that. True wholesale value to a dealer (low blue book) should be about $1600-$1800 at best.

#179919 - 05/18/08 02:52 PM Re: Kawai KG-3D
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Of course, Seems like good preowned pianos are a rare commodity in certain parts of the country so therefore as for "supply and demand" You can most likely get close to that 4K mark in that new pianos may be expensive as for dealer discounting in your area. Good luck! One always does better selling outright if the piano is a good late mdl.
In most cases one trades in out of convienience or because nobody wants it at any price. Now a new Steinway, a trade up might be an exception \:D
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
74 registered (BB Player, 36251, ARamadan, Auver, Banshee, 19 invisible), 1088 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327456 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission