Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, A Guy, ajames, 34 invisible), 1700 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1799765 - 12/03/11 12:26 AM Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano
GoodTimes Offline

Loc: Texas
I have no idea if this video has been posted before. If so, I apologize. Anyways, looking up videos for the Yamaha P155 and found this.

I listened with Sennheiser 595 headphones. I did turn the volume up some when the digital piano version was played.

You know, I remember when the four function calculator came out. WOW!I thought. Heck, I still have a sliderule packed away someplace. Amazing what technology has brought us.

I suppose a digital grand piano will never replace the real thing. But I am impressed with what these digital piano manufacturers have given us.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickaboo13?blend=21&ob=5#p/u/1/1JpKjNLA0eI

Les

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1799772 - 12/03/11 12:47 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Great video. Thanks for sharing. I recently got in an argument with someone who was saying no one should learn on a digital because they sound too different from acoustics. I think people like that need to play some modern digitals, or at least watch this type of video.

#1799777 - 12/03/11 12:51 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
The reason the two sound alike is because you are hearing BOTH over speakers.

If you were to listen to the grand piano live and then the P155 live you'd find a huge difference. But if you compare recordings the differences is smaller.

I have a P155 and I've played a grand piano. When you are there in person it is dead obvious which is which.

This person who made the video did a very good job. Most times I've seen people try this the grand piano sound poorer than the DP because most people don't have the ability to make good home recordings. It looks like he has a pair of mics inside the piano and from the sound of the recording he knows how to master audio for youtube. That P155 sounds better than just a straight audio dump from the line-out .

Edited by ChrisA (12/03/11 12:59 AM)

#1799779 - 12/03/11 01:03 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Certainly true. Digitals are limited by speakers in a home live setting and acoustics are limited by mics in a typical home recorded setting. The P155 was sampled from a far better piano, in far better tune and condition, using far better mics, in a far better room, so it would be strange if the acoustic sounded better in the recording.

Still, I thought the P155 sounded good, considering what it is.

Edited by gvfarns (12/03/11 01:33 AM)

#1799801 - 12/03/11 03:23 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I agree - both sound very good indeed. I noticed the looping in the digital near the end, when he holds a chord for a long time, though. A piano-worlder posted a Yamaha DP recording a few weeks ago and I really liked it too.

Greg.

#1799824 - 12/03/11 04:37 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: ChrisA]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
The reason the two sound alike is because you are hearing BOTH over speakers.

If you were to listen to the grand piano live and then the P155 live you'd find a huge difference. But if you compare recordings the differences is smaller.

I have a P155 and I've played a grand piano. When you are there in person it is dead obvious which is which.

+10!

There is no way the real physical experience would come close, at least in a 'silent' setting, i.e. both played solo without other (amplified) sounds in the room. However, you can make any acoustic sound bad by recording it inappropriately. In fact, in a loud band context where an acoustic gets mic'ed and amplified as well, the differences to a good digital may be much smaller (out in the room at least).

I've never played an Avant Grand with a wooden resonance board so I don't know whether these come closer to the real thing...

#1799833 - 12/03/11 05:33 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Look in recordings and live music in a band situation you really can't tell if its real or not ...but
Putting ANY DP up against my CF6 in a solo live setting ...well there is no comparison.

#1799847 - 12/03/11 06:21 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Next to each other in a room the choice will be obvious, on a recording less so. I practice mostly with headphones and it is an extremely satisfying experience.

I vaguely remember the first or one of the first piano modules, I believe it was a Roland. That sounded pretty good back then though a sound system. That must have been around 30 years ago.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1799860 - 12/03/11 07:09 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Great video. Thanks for sharing!!

#1799876 - 12/03/11 08:30 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

It's a shame that someone with such a beautiful piano doesn't keep it tuned... but I've been guilty of the same!

But more to the point, I'm very surprised at all these comments agreeing that, in this context, they sound much alike... I don't think they sound alike at all. I mean really, not even close. Throughout, the P155 does not have the fullness and warmth of the acoustic at all, I think that's partly in the tone itself and partly in the weaker/absent string and body resonances. And the P155's sustains sound are lifeless compared to the acoustic. If it isn't obvious by itself, listen specifically at 3:15 where he switches from one piano to the other, first one channel, and then the other.

#1799880 - 12/03/11 08:47 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
anotherscott, professional headphones make a big difference in the sound.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1799883 - 12/03/11 08:49 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think the DP sounds a bit one dimensional but at least it is in tune! I disagree with those above that say the DP is being played over speakers...to me this sounds like line out + reverb (onboard or external reverb), nothing more. There are no speakers or mics involved in the recording of this guy's P155. The AP is horrible because it is out of tune. DP's decay at the end is totally static and boring but Yamaha's decays are the worst for this, other DPs do that a bit better usually.

#1799888 - 12/03/11 09:02 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

@EssBrace - I think ChrisA simply meant that WE are listening to this recording with speakers and/or headphones. ;^) I.e - it is impossible for us to hear what the player experienced when he was actually sitting at the piano.

RE: the static decay of the DP - I suspect that's due to looping. That's what I meant when I said I could hear the looping, anyhow. (i.e - I could not hear noticable repetitive warbling or anything like that - it's just an unnaturally static decay)

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (12/03/11 09:04 AM)

#1799894 - 12/03/11 09:18 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
2000 Post Club Member

Doh! Yes I see what he means. But ChrisA did say: "That P155 sounds better than just a straight audio dump from the line-out". I'm saying that is exactly what it is - straight from line out.

Yes, it's Yamaha's looping that is to blame for the lifeless decay; for some reason they use tiny little loops rather than long wobbly ones (like Nord).

#1799895 - 12/03/11 09:28 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, I had forgotten about that comment about the line-outs. (I have no idea about that)

I really only noticed the static decay when he holds that very long chord near the end. (I have only listened once, though)

Greg.

#1799900 - 12/03/11 09:46 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Dave Horne]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
anotherscott, professional headphones make a big difference in the sound.

The difference was obvious with my lame built-in laptop speakers, but yeah, the differences were even more clear with my good phones.

#1799913 - 12/03/11 10:14 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Late to this fun party, thanks for posting that interesting video!

I can hear most difference when he switches to the DP (duh!) - the tone changes of course, but as anotherscott says the rich sympathetic resonances are obviously missing. The beginning lower notes on the AP even with light playing ring on for quite a while, doing the same on a DP gives anemic sound with shorter audibly looped decay. The attacks of the higher notes on the DP also sound somehow too uniform regardless of velocity.

The AP being somewhat out of tune is a dead giveaway, I wish I could adjust the individual unison strings on our NX to achieve this effect (the individual note tunings themselves are adjustable however).

The first Ludovico Einaudi CD I heard was "Stanze" which is all performed on harp. I think I prefer Einaudi's style of music on harp rather than piano.

#1800735 - 12/05/11 09:14 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: dewster]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
I can hear most difference when he switches to the DP (duh!) - the tone changes of course, but as anotherscott says the rich sympathetic resonances are obviously missing. The beginning lower notes on the AP even with light playing ring on for quite a while, doing the same on a DP gives anemic sound with shorter audibly looped decay. The attacks of the higher notes on the DP also sound somehow too uniform regardless of velocity.

The AP being somewhat out of tune is a dead giveaway, I wish I could adjust the individual unison strings on our NX to achieve this effect (the individual note tunings themselves are adjustable however).

The first Ludovico Einaudi CD I heard was "Stanze" which is all performed on harp. I think I prefer Einaudi's style of music on harp rather than piano.

As far as I know, the only DPs on which you can adjust the tuning of individual unison strings is the V-Piano/Grand which also gives the sound that extra realism, if not all the notes are detuned the same amount. The DP's sound on that extract is lacking in lots of resonances, giving a sterile effect.

The only recording on a DP by a well-known classical pianist I've ever heard (- quite a few big-name classical pianists endorse and praise a certain model of DP but you won't find them willing to commit to putting out a recording......) sounded so sterile and artificial that I wonder how much he was paid to play it.

#1800746 - 12/05/11 09:44 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'd rather hear an in-tune DP than an out-of-tune acoustic. Otherwise the digitals (good ones) are fine but most certainly do not sound the same, live and in person. But which is better is a question of taste.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1800749 - 12/05/11 10:04 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I hear a big difference, with the AP being the better of the two. One of the main things I notice is the attack. On the AP there is a definite percussive beginning to each note and with the DP I hear more of a "start" to the note, if that makes sense. Also lots more overtones on the AP. The DP sounds fine, but not as good as the AP here. I'm not too finicky about pitch so the out-of-tune issues of the AP didn't really bother me.

#1800992 - 12/05/11 05:23 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Tim W Offline

I do a lot of recording from a home studio, and I don't own a Grand. I use a soft-synth from Propellerheads Software called Reason and use the Pianos Refill. There's a complete explanation here: http://www.propellerheads.se/products/refills/rpi/

This gives you the option of controlling the software (running on your controller) with a midi controller (a keyboard with midi out)

The refill which with the software costs around $500, has hyper samples of 3 pianos. The Steinway K upright, The Steinway D, and the Yamaha C7. Many of the samples even capture the pads as they come down when you lift the key or sustain pedal. Also, unlike what someone noted above, the samples are true length samples, meaning that when you hit a key and sustain, the sample is an actual sample at that velocity that will ring until the string stops... not a loop.

That said, these samples are very large and require a fairly recent computer if you don't want to choke the computer for power.

This refill is hyper sampled, meaning that there are multiple samples from separate microphones in different locations, that can be custom mixed, depending on where you want the listener to be located in the room, relative to the piano.

I know, sounds complicated, but the results are amazing, and you can literally use a setup that compliments the piece you are trying to play. There's a set of close-up top mics for a intimate, bright sound. A set of close up bottom mics for a darker intimate sound. There's a set of Stereo Room mics that give the piano more space, and there's a monophonic Ribbon mic that has a classic sound, all its own.

The software allows you to select from the different mics and even has the ability to use multiple sets of mic mixed the way you want them.

Of course, to simplify things, there are different presets that you can choose between.

I like this program, especially because it gives you a wide variety to choose from and opens your options in the future, should technologies improve, allowing you to use your existing midi keyboard controller for another program or sound module.

It should be noted that the Reason program also is a recording package that allows you to record your performance and even play a duet with yourself by playing back your performance and adding a second part. You can also record vocals and other instruments, as well as select from many synthesized sounds in the software (strings, brass, and every conceivable wild sound you can think of.. : )

Hope this helps.

#1801009 - 12/05/11 06:01 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
David Sprunger Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Les - cool concept for the video comparison. But it's not an apples/apples comparison especially because the acoustic piano is so out of tune. Doesn't sound like the temperament is way off, but the unison strings are really beating each other up.
David Sprunger - Learn to play piano by ear using the revolutionary technique of "Rhythmic Patterns". Piano Lessons Homepage here - includes library of piano lessons for beginners through advanced piano and keyboard players.

#1801056 - 12/05/11 08:12 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: David Sprunger]
GoodTimes Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: David Sprunger
Les - cool concept for the video comparison. But it's not an apples/apples comparison especially because the acoustic piano is so out of tune. Doesn't sound like the temperament is way off, but the unison strings are really beating each other up.

Thanks David and others for your replies.

I suppose I was not clear as to the reason for this post. It was not meant to indicate that...well, here is an example of a digital piano on a par with a real grand piano.

It was to illustrate what technology has given us - with a mid-level digital piano. With what it has given us the ability to do; to learn to play, the joy of playing this instrument, in a form factor that is portable, convenient, play privately if need be, cost effective, and all with a good sound. We would have , most likely, far fewer of us enjoying this fine instrument if it were not for the digital piano.

The fella in the video loves to play on the real grand piano -when he can. Most of us (I'm assuming) don't have the opportunity to play a real grand. Or any real piano.

That fella had this to say about his digital piano.

"Now that I am on the move, I got a Yamaha P-155 digital piano. The realistic sound and feel of this instrument has me truly passionate about practicing/playing."

I can't wait till Christmas and get my digital piano. I don't know how to play it. At all! I hope I have half of that fella's passion to practice and play because I've got a lot to learn over the next several years. Of course, I'm assuming again - I hope to be around in several years' time.

Les

#1801322 - 12/06/11 11:15 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GoodTimes
I suppose I was not clear as to the reason for this post. It was not meant to indicate that...well, here is an example of a digital piano on a par with a real grand piano.

It was to illustrate what technology has given us - with a mid-level digital piano. With what it has given us the ability to do; to learn to play, the joy of playing this instrument, in a form factor that is portable, convenient, play privately if need be, cost effective, and all with a good sound. We would have , most likely, far fewer of us enjoying this fine instrument if it were not for the digital piano.

Maybe I'm one of those glass-half-empty people, but to me this video presents the DP as something that is tantalizingly close to an acoustic piano, yet frustratingly miles away from where it technically should be. The portability of DPs is probably their strongest suit, realistic decay and sympathetic resonance their weakest.

#1801329 - 12/06/11 11:32 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm with dewster, if you need portability then nowadays you can get some mighty nice digital pianos (although in my opinion the ones that qualify as "mighty nice" are also "might pricey"). But it is best not to A-B such instruments with a decent, in-tune acoustic piano because it simply makes it impossible for most of us to mentally filter out the quite obvious shortcomings in the sound of most DP implementations.

I'm frankly a bit amazed that for a couple thousand dollars, there are not DP's on the market which, through headphones, are indistinguishable from an excellent recording of a fine piano. I have yet to hear any that are even remotely in the ballpark. It sure seems doable at the price points you're talking about for a performance-grade DP.

My theory is that so many of these are used in circumstances where they can't be heard clearly that there just isn't a market demand for realistic sound quality.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1801333 - 12/06/11 11:40 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Brent H]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brent H
I'm frankly a bit amazed that for a couple thousand dollars, there are not DP's on the market which, through headphones, are indistinguishable from an excellent recording of a fine piano.

I think there are - as a stand alone solution any Roland with the Supernatural sound engine can make good that particular illusion. And for less than $2000 you could equip yourself with a decent weighted hammer action keyboard and play any number of software pianos that would sound just as good as a recording of a fine piano (because that is what they are).

Getting a DP to sound like "an excellent recording of a fine piano" is the easy bit. Sitting down at one and hearing and feeling like you are playing a fine piano there in the room with you is the difficult bit.

#1801348 - 12/06/11 12:13 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: EssBrace]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I'm frankly a bit amazed that for a couple thousand dollars, there are not DP's on the market which, through headphones, are indistinguishable from an excellent recording of a fine piano.

I think there are - as a stand alone solution any Roland with the Supernatural sound engine can make good that particular illusion.

I disagree. Or, I guess I should say, at least so far, I have not heard anything from a Roland that I would consider indistinguishable from a real piano when recorded.

#1801351 - 12/06/11 12:23 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
2000 Post Club Member

But indistinguishable from which real piano? They're all different. A properly tweaked RD-700GX or equivalent can sound like a real piano in my opinion.

#1801389 - 12/06/11 01:18 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: EssBrace]
3000 Post Club Member

But indistinguishable from which real piano? They're all different. A properly tweaked RD-700GX or equivalent can sound like a real piano in my opinion.

As different as real pianos are from one another, they all sound like real pianos... I did not find the Rolands to be convincing, though they can certainly be nice and pleasing to play. For one thing, the difference in brightness between soft and loud velocities was more exaggerated than I think any real piano would be.

#1801405 - 12/06/11 01:31 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I will say the Roland I auditioned at a local dealer (FP7F of something like that) when played through its speakers sounded indistinguishable from how a recording of a real piano played through a similar set of speakers might sound. And for an awful lot of purposes that's plenty good enough. Recorded or with the player wearing headphones the simulacrum is not quite as convincing.

At least the better Roland models' sustain doesn't seem to have that uncanny effect where it sounds very like a piano for the first three quarters of a second and then exactly like someone turning down a volume knob as it decays. I hear that in recordings and just can't get past the mental volume-knob image it elicits. But the basic attack envelop and timbre do get pretty good on some DP's.

The problem is, I can pay a few hundred bucks for a software piano to run on a PC costing at most a few hundred bucks and the simulation of a real piano is terribly close to believable through headphones. Is the storage and CPU capacity needed for that just simply too expensive to bundle into a digital piano?

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1801416 - 12/06/11 01:47 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: anotherscott]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I did not find the Rolands to be convincing, though they can certainly be nice and pleasing to play. For one thing, the difference in brightness between soft and loud velocities was more exaggerated than I think any real piano would be.

Yes I think I agree with you. The Roland SN pianos become metallic and brittle too suddenly, especially in a couple of clusters of notes in the middle of the keyboard. However, I possess recordings made by another forum member where a RD-700GX with SN upgrade sounds uncannily good and to my ears extremely authentic. On material that doesn't excite the Roland's twanging noises in the mid-range it is an entirely believable representation of an acoustic piano to my ears. And I would suggest the Roland, whilst providing very high sonic quality, also provides the connection between keys and sound that seems so elusive with software pianos.

Originally Posted By: Brent_H
At least the better Roland models' sustain doesn't seem to have that uncanny effect where it sounds very like a piano for the first three quarters of a second and then exactly like someone turning down a volume knob as it decays...

Yes, it's a dead giveaway.

#1801421 - 12/06/11 01:49 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: anotherscott]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

For one thing, the difference in brightness between soft and loud velocities was more exaggerated than I think any real piano would be.

Thereby rendering that Roland BETTER than any real piano, because that renders it more EXPRESSIVE than any real piano, and more expression is a good thing. I don't want a digital piano to merely be "as good" as a real piano - I want it to be BETTER than a real piano! ;^)

"Beautiful In My Eyes", by Joshua Kadison is one example of a song in which the (obviously digital - or is it? Is it a processed acoustic?) piano sounds perhaps more expressive than any real piano, and it sounds excellent.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (12/06/11 01:51 PM)

#1801424 - 12/06/11 01:51 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't anyone was questioning the beauty and expressiveness of the best digital pianos. It just seems if you can do "BETTER" and "MORE EXPRESSIVE" there ought to be a knob you can turn down and get "JUST LIKE" an acoustic. thumb

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1801425 - 12/06/11 01:53 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

The Roland SN is highly tweakable, isn't it? Perhaps it can indeed be adjusted to have it's expression reduced to be more authentic. (I've never tried. Anyone?)

Greg.

#1801445 - 12/06/11 02:18 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: anotherscott]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
... I have not heard anything from a Roland that I would consider indistinguishable from a real piano when recorded.

Mostly with amateur A/B tests we can tell right away which is the acoustic piano because the acoustic recording is technically of poor quality. Few home recording studios will have the space or the equipment budget to record a grand piano properly.

Today's technology is such that only professional recorded acoustic pianos are better than digital pianos

I think if we limit the discussion to home recording, the digital piano wins.

The obvious case where the acoustic piano wins is for live performance of solo piano music.

#1801450 - 12/06/11 02:30 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

None of my comments were directed at the limitations of bad recordings or out of tune acoustic pianos. But I suspect comments to that effect are indeed why no maker of digital pianos can be bothered to go to the trouble and expense of providing truly state of the art sampled/modeled/whatever acoustic piano sounds. As long as the intended buyers consider the current DP's good enough (because they compare them to bad acoustic pianos or badly recorded ones or to ones used in a mix where you can't tell a Steinway from a Yamaha) there's no compelling reason to do any better.

In a very real sense the target of a digital piano is not the sound of an acoustic piano. It's the sound of a whatever piano filtered through numerous distorting, limiting, compressing and obscuring elements in a finished recording or performance. Which makes perfect sense now that I think of it that way.

So can I assume that MIDI keyboards into software pianos are the order of the day in more sound-quality-conscious recording projects? If you want a track as part of a project that will sound beautiful and expressive in the same way as a Steinway or Bosendorfer piano then you either put a Steinway/Bosendorfer in the studio or you fake it with some high-end software. Makes sense.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1801468 - 12/06/11 02:59 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It makes sense that DP manufacturers only feel the need to make their pianos sound better than bad acoustics because bad acoustic pianos are the real competition for digitals. Almost everyone who gets a digital would get a nasty old upright if digitals were not available.

Very few people say "I'm trying to decide between a mnint-condition Steinway D and a Yamaha P155 and I can't make up my mind." More like, "my friend is willing to give me the 1910 no-name upright that his cat has been living in for some time, but I was thinking a P155 might be better."

DP manufacturers might aim higher if their main clientèle was more similar to many members of this forum...people who actually want them to sound as good as top shelf acoustics and could tell the difference if they did.

#1801476 - 12/06/11 03:09 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I should take a lesson from the consumer electronics and computer markets. What matters is how many things it does, not how well it does them.

Then again every musical instrument I've ever played my ears have been operating at a budget about 10x larger than my wallet...which in turn is about 10x larger than the budget justified by my ability.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1801485 - 12/06/11 03:32 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Gomer Offline

if only there was a "software DP". Take a DP with a good action, and have it directly run with internal hardware to run up-gradable software like Ivory or Gallaxy. Do away with all those silly (imo) frills/sounds and just do piano right.

#1801488 - 12/06/11 03:37 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Brent H]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

As long as the intended buyers consider the current DP's good enough (because they compare them to bad acoustic pianos or badly recorded ones or to ones used in a mix where you can't tell a Steinway from a Yamaha) there's no compelling reason to do any better.

It's likely not a representative sample, but there are plenty of DP users her at PW who are so dissatisfied with the internal sounds of even the very best DPs that they end up substituting them with external sample sets run on external hardware.

And I imagine recording studios could really use something like an unlooped Kawai MP10, where the performer plays to MIDI on a thumb drive, which is then edited on a PC for mistakes and such, and finally rendered on the instrument so that the nuances and dynamics of the original performance track perfectly.

The industry seems to be completely ignoring both of these groups, and why that is I have absolutely no clue. Surely there is money to be made and prestige to be gained by manufacturing a product such as this, and certainly it is doable.

#1801495 - 12/06/11 03:45 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Gomer]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gomer
if only there was a "software DP". Take a DP with a good action, and have it directly run with internal hardware to run up-gradable software like Ivory or Gallaxy. Do away with all those silly (imo) frills/sounds and just do piano right.

I've been predicting NAMM 2020 for this threshold to be crossed. When the Nord sample sets get about 10x larger we'll be there. Korg could do it right now if the severely pared down the Kronos, used a better action, and made the hardware and software more robust.

#1801501 - 12/06/11 03:59 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Brent H]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I'm frankly a bit amazed that for a couple thousand dollars, there are not DP's on the market which, through headphones, are indistinguishable from an excellent recording of a fine piano. I have yet to hear any that are even remotely in the ballpark. It sure seems doable at the price points you're talking about for a performance-grade DP.

Brent H, I'd be interested in your reaction to this recording of our RD-700NX: LINK - particularly the first and third movements. I suspect the MIDI source may have been manually sequenced rather than performed, which makes the result that much more impressive IMO.

#1801919 - 12/07/11 09:28 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Brent H]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL

The problem is, I can pay a few hundred bucks for a software piano to run on a PC costing at most a few hundred bucks and the simulation of a real piano is terribly close to believable through headphones. Is the storage and CPU capacity needed for that just simply too expensive to bundle into a digital piano?

Apparently, yes. The software piano requires gigabytes of storage and a lot of processing power to do sympathetic resonance and reverb and all. It's probably quite doable to have all that on an inexpensive digital piano, but not with the horde of other voices and functions that are standard on DP's.

#1801924 - 12/07/11 09:40 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

dewster,

I took a quick listen this morning and I agree that the piano sound is largely free of the kinds of obviously digital piano-ish artifacts that seem to plague DP's in general. The only part that stood out as very un-piano-like was the very lowest notes especially when they were not played softly. Overall I thought the illusion was quite convincing at soft dynamic levels and better than usual throughout.

That said, this evening I'll give it a play when I have access to my good listening equipment (i.e. the headphone and headamp setup I use when I'm listening to music for pleasure). I'll comment after no how well the illusion holds up to Hi-Fi reproduction.

P.S. For what it's worth I plugged the MIDI file into my rather cheapy software piano (the Basic edition of Garritan Authorized Steinway) and those lowest notes sound more realistic. But overall not particularly so, just that one specific range of notes at certain dynamics.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1801949 - 12/07/11 10:17 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Brent H]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think I have an excellent acoustic. I also have the Kronos, the Jupiter, Komplete 8, Pianoteq and a few of the EW pianos. The SN pianos on the Jupiter are the only ones I enjoy playing. I feel the way the SN sounds respond are the most natural and the tone is most pleasing to my ear.
Roland Jupiter 80

#1801953 - 12/07/11 10:22 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: tinknocker]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tinknocker
The software piano requires gigabytes of storage and a lot of processing power to do sympathetic resonance and reverb and all. It's probably quite doable to have all that on an inexpensive digital piano, but not with the horde of other voices and functions that are standard on DP's.

Some of the top DP models have relatively little in the way of non-piano voices and functions... i.e. Yamaha CP1, Kawai MP10, Roland V-Piano. But they are not inexpensive.

My guess is that cheap DPs often have lots of other functions because they don't cost all that much to add, and they make the unit more marketable. Certainly most sounds don't require nearly the processing horsepower required for the piano sound itself. Once the processing power is there and paid for, the incremental cost to add some of these other functions is probably negligible.

But to get back to Brent's comment, the horsepower required to run a software piano may seem cheap when you look at a laptop, but a keyboard manufacturer can't build that as cheaply as a computer company can.

And I think it's also worth keeping in mind that computers are a high-volume, low-margin commodity business... keyboards are not. If it costs Dell $300 to build something, they can sell it to you for under $400. If it costs a keyboard company $300 to build something, it's probably over $1,000 at retail.

#1802019 - 12/07/11 12:07 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: anotherscott]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

My guess is that cheap DPs often have lots of other functions because they don't cost all that much to add, and they make the unit more marketable. Certainly most sounds don't require nearly the processing horsepower required for the piano sound itself. Once the processing power is there and paid for, the incremental cost to add some of these other functions is probably negligible.

I totally agree. The sample size for an instrument that you can semi-realistically do can be orders of magnitude smaller than that for a similarly presented piano. If it doesn't have a decay phase and it isn't too dissonant, you can probably get away with using a single cycle for the loop phase. Drums can be fairly short samples (though I often wish for a worldwide moratorium on looped cymbals). It's not unusual for an AP to consume half or more of the total ROM space in a somewhat piano-centric GM implementation.

Most of these addons don't need complex key/pedal tracking, lots of layers, sympathetic resonance, etc. and they are generally perceived as adding value even if they aren't at the same quality level as the main piano voice.

But to get back to Brent's comment, the horsepower required to run a software piano may seem cheap when you look at a laptop, but a keyboard manufacturer can't build that as cheaply as a computer company can.

And I think it's also worth keeping in mind that computers are a high-volume, low-margin commodity business... keyboards are not. If it costs Dell $300 to build something, they can sell it to you for under $400. If it costs a keyboard company $300 to build something, it's probably over $1,000 at retail.

Both very good points. But if you remove the bloated non-RTOS operating system coupled to expensive bloated multi-core processors (up to 2.6 billion transistors!) and other hardware that you typically find on a PC, things get a lot easier and cheaper.

So while the economies of scale work to give you a cheap PC, a lot of fat can be trimmed away to balance the lower sales and higher NRE of DPs and still give you a high performing product for a reasonable retail price. From what I've seen of DP guts there's probably not over $100 of electronics in most high-end DPs, and less than $30 in vast majority of the rest. $100 can buy a heck of a lot of embedded horsepower and memory these days.

#1802254 - 12/07/11 07:37 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
From my point of view it's pretty clear that the DP in the OP link doesn't sound exactly like the acoustic piano.

However, if I don't sit down and minutely focus my critical ears to any differences, the Digital piano sounds pretty darn nice. If you ask most people what they think of the sound of a decent DP with decent speakers, I think they would say the same.

I've been in situations where there is a horribly out of tune, miserable old piano to play and the people there think it's just fine.

I enjoyed both instruments.

#1802297 - 12/07/11 09:04 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Roger Ransom]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Roger Ransom
If you ask most people what they think of the sound of a decent DP with decent speakers, I think they would say the same.

Not trying to harsh on your post, but most people aren't in a position to judge this very well. In many cases this can work for you (e.g. sucker born every minute) but it's cold comfort for those who just dropped >$2k on a DP expecting recording quality or sound on par with PC samplers from even 10 years ago.

#1802303 - 12/07/11 09:17 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think that's the point he's making: most people don't actually have that high of standards for piano, so the fact that a digital is in perfect tune and shares some characteristics with really nice pianos is enough to make them sound really good.

And sooo many people have really nasty uprights in their house. You would cry (with pain) if you heard or played the spinet I grew up on. For sure it was never tuned in the 30+ years my parent owned it.

For the most part it's only when you sit down with discriminating headphones or maybe speakers, as an experienced pianist that you really notice deficiencies.

#1802465 - 12/08/11 05:33 AM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
2000 Post Club Member

I agree - most people, even those spending 2,000+, are looking for something that looks piano-like, sounds piano-like and plays in a piano-like way. And they all do this successfully until you commence a forensic deconstruction of what they do and how they do it. Then deficiencies are revealed but to the average DP buyer it doesn't matter.

I mean, people often buy upright pianos maybe because they don't like the idea of a digital, maybe because they have directly compared one to a digital and preferred it. But speaking very personally I wouldn't give ANY upright piano house room - I've never heard an upright I like the sound of - that clunky toneless low bass. I could vomit at the thought. So maybe that is me forensically examining an upright acoustic and rejecting it. I'd rather listen to a looped grand piano bass than any upright bass.

Leaving aside the needs of a gigging pro I think we should accept that for most people the DP is an alternative to an upright piano, not a grand. And at the price of the average console DP it does a reasonable job in my opinion.

Just my thoughts...I'm now ready to be pounced on by AP aficionados that will say despite all its faults that their knackered old upright had/has a better range of expression than any DP. Maybe, but they're only good for fire wood in my opinion.

Steve

#1802681 - 12/08/11 01:35 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: EssBrace]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I agree - most people, even those spending 2,000+, are looking for something that looks piano-like, sounds piano-like and plays in a piano-like way. And they all do this successfully until you commence a forensic deconstruction of what they do and how they do it. Then deficiencies are revealed but to the average DP buyer it doesn't matter.

The forensic analysis isn't to show that a given DP sucks (because all of them do in one way or another and in varying degrees) but rather to explain why and how they suck. The average person knows when a console DP has woefully inadequate speakers due to missing bass, gross distortion, etc. and past that maybe can't put their finger on exactly why it doesn't sound 100% convincing even through good headphones (if they bother to do that and really listen). People who aren't interested in paying much attention to the sound of their DP will become much more familiar with it over time if they play it enough, and even with the most recent crop that can breed free-floating discontent.

The DP buyers I feel most sorry for are those who believe (due to slick and often deceptive advertising) that by buying the most expensive model they are getting uncompromised sound, a sound on par with the expensive realistic key actions, expensive polished cabinetry, etc.

Just my thoughts...I'm now ready to be pounced on by AP aficionados that will say despite all its faults that their knackered old upright had/has a better range of expression than any DP. Maybe, but they're only good for fire wood in my opinion.

Let me be the first to pounce! wink There is obviously some upright AP quality threshold below which I would prefer something like the SN sound, but that threshold for me is really low. And nothing but sampled sympathetic resonance can come close to the sound of real strings humming away on a wooden board.

It's not that I have any romantic attachment to physical pianos, DPs just haven't managed to capture the full resonant abilities of even the cheapest upright yet (though I suppose special pleading could be made here for the V-Piano or the Kronos).

#1802705 - 12/08/11 02:13 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: dewster]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am with you, dewster. Keep up your good work, and keep reminding producers to improve their piano sounds - good bye stretching, good bye looping, good bye cheap layering. Welcome subtle resonances of all kinds and welcome other noises... and don't forget full tuneability.

#1802713 - 12/08/11 02:30 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: dewster]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster

It's not that I have any romantic attachment to physical pianos, DPs just haven't managed to capture the full resonant abilities of even the cheapest upright yet (though I suppose special pleading could be made here for the V-Piano or the Kronos).

As an owner of the Kronos, I'm not overly impressed with the pianos. The EPs are another story.
Roland Jupiter 80

#1802758 - 12/08/11 03:44 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: maurus]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: maurus
... and welcome other noises .....

Your opinion. My opinion - as long as they can be turned off. smile

To counter slightly Dewster's opinion, I don't want my DP to sound like a piano, well most or all pianos you find in homes. Maybe a concert ready tuned piano, and without some of the 'noises' you mention above. But I do support the principle he is driving at.

#1802773 - 12/08/11 04:17 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: spanishbuddha]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

Your opinion. My opinion - as long as they can be turned off. smile

Absolutely.

Some of the noises of an acoustic I'd like to turn on in my DP's:

- the quick dampening of the strings when I release a key, you can actually control the noise
- the complex sound produced by strongly pushing down the sustain pedal
- the noises of quickly or slowly releasing the sustain pedal
- full and varied attack noises

plus some imaginations: various modes of picking the strings of a piano, with felts released and with felts on the strings, various ways of 'drumming' on the piano, etc. - think experimental music... cool

#1802776 - 12/08/11 04:31 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: GoodTimes]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe it's in the expectation level. When I bought my DP I did not in any way expect it to sound and play as good as my old Yamaha G7 that I spent $9,000.00 restoring.

But, with good speakers/headphones, it sounds pretty nice. I bought it so I can take it with me to places that have NO piano or a piano I cannot make myself touch, or play at night, or experiment with arranging, or play with MIDI stuff or various other reasons.

I just think they both have pretty well defined purposes and I still think a good DP sounds very good as long as I don't get too analytical.

They're both REALLY, REALLY fun and they make me smile.

#1802800 - 12/08/11 05:19 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: Roger Ransom]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Roger Ransom
... and I still think a good DP sounds very good as long as I don't get too analytical.

This is my opinion too. However, I seem to more easily impressed as a listener, as opposed to when I am actually playing.

Greg.

#1802957 - 12/08/11 10:00 PM Re: Listen to Real Grand Piano vs. Digital Grand Piano [Re: sullivang]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sullivang

This is my opinion too. However, I seem to more easily impressed as a listener, as opposed to when I am actually playing.

Greg.

Yes, this is definitely true. I have stored songs in the keyboard, played them back later and was surprised how much better it was than when I was playing it. I'm not sure what's going on there in my brain (no surprise there), but it sure is true for me.

All very interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 01:24 PM
Don't you just love.....
by D7K
12/18/14 01:23 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159957 Topics
2349111 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission