Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1800365 - 12/04/11 08:55 AM Just Intonation....
RoyR Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I've heard of tuning to Just Intonation, but up until now, I've never tried it, although my two keyboards can do it.

I was wondering if many of you have experimented with this type of tuning? I realize you must play within the single key you tuned for, so there are limitations, perhaps more severe limitations for advanced players who fluidly move between keys.

So...what types of music have yielded the most pleasing results using Just Intonation for you? Do certain voices--and multiple layers of voices--work better than others, such as string ensemble or full orchestra? Can you suggest hints on it's proper use?

I posted this thread here on the Synth forum, since only electronic instruments can readily tune in this manner. Perhaps I'll post it on another PW forum as well.

FYI, in case this is relevant to my questions: I primarily play on a Roland Juno Gi, which can split/layer as many as four voices/tones in any four overlapping or separate ranges on the keyboard.

Now...off to try this out!

Roy

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1800366 - 12/04/11 09:01 AM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The strange thing for me, I'll play in a different tuning just for the heck of if it and then when I switch back to equal temperament tuning I'm not 100 percent sure if I'm really ... back. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1800429 - 12/04/11 12:17 PM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome to the world of alternative tunings!

I admit to love playing with these alternatives. I even invented my own tuning some time ago... Just tuning gives (in the selected base key) pure intervals in the tonic, subdominant, and dominant chords. Since pure intervals have no beats, these chords may sound very static and a little lifeless. But if you want to indulge in pure major and minor chords, go for it!

Due to the fundamental problem of tuning (the comma) intervals not belonging to the basic chords (such as the fifth between the second and the sixth tone of the diatonic scale) will sound rather out of tune in just tuning. This is where other tunings try to improve: mean tone temperament, or one of the well-tempered tunings of the 18th century (which are again different from the more recent equal temperament and also have a base key). Just try them out, and listen to thirds and fifths in particular to hear the differences.

And yes - Dave is absolutely right: After having adapted to one of these tunings, returning to equal temperament may sound rather odd. Main reason: The major thirds of equal temperament are much larger than the 'natural' intervals, while minor thirds are much smaller than their 'natural' counterparts.

PS. Apologies if my technical terms are not perfectly correct, I am not a native speaker of the English language.

#1800820 - 12/05/11 01:17 PM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
arley Offline

Here is a mathematical analysis of the difference between just intonation and equal temperament:

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html

And if you're really interested in this, Ross Duffin has written a spirited book on the subject, "How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony (And Why You Should Care)":

http://www.amazon.com/Equal-Temperament-...8572&sr=1-1

I have a Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner for my guitar. Generally I use the default temperament, but when I tune the guitar in an open tuning (say, for doing slide work, or just playing a song in an open tuning) if I have the time I'll retune in just intonation. Steel guitar and pedal steel guitarists often use just intonation, I believe. Just intonation seems to be most useful for things that can be infinitely adjusted (unfretted stringed instruments, the human voice), but for fretted instruments and keyboards you pretty much have to choose some sort of a compromise temperament, and equal temperament is by far the most commonly used.

#1801014 - 12/05/11 06:13 PM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
David Sprunger Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
To me, Just Intonation sounds out of tune. That a subject statement I know, but I'd go so far and say that I think it really is out of tune, considering that equal temperament has an equal distance ratio between the frequencies of all the notes.

That's totally my opinion, and I'm not basing my eternal salvation on it smile but I'm pretty convinced of it.

Some have said that "equal temperament" is a compromise between all the notes, but I think it's actually a natural arrangement of the scale.

In just tuning, the 4ths are "beatless", and that's why it's so easy for strings players to tune their instruments in 4ths. But I think it's artificial, and very sterile sounding. Not to mention it's totally whacked when you go chromatic. No wonder Bach so enthusiastically wrote the "well tempered clavier" in response to someone putting in an equal distance between all the notes.

David Sprunger - Learn to play piano by ear using the revolutionary technique of "Rhythmic Patterns". Piano Lessons Homepage here - includes library of piano lessons for beginners through advanced piano and keyboard players.

#1801039 - 12/05/11 07:27 PM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Bach's "well-temperament" was not equal temperament.

Just intonation sounds quite IN tune, so long as it's been tempered for the key you're playing in. That's the trouble with it (and other temperaments): You get in trouble when moving to distant keys.

#1801195 - 12/06/11 03:31 AM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

There is no perfect tuning for a piano-type instrument. All tunings are compromises (and so is equal temperament). Choose your tuning according to the music you are playing. It's great that our modern gadgets allow for this (and all modern DP's should). Bach is said to have been able to (re-)tune his instrument within 15 minutes or so. Clearly he was a fan of changing his tunings (or at least his base key) as well....

#1801287 - 12/06/11 10:11 AM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
There were some entertaining attempts at keyboards that could deal with this with many more notes to the octave.

With 53 notes per octave.

#1801314 - 12/06/11 11:02 AM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: David Sprunger]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: David Sprunger
To me, Just Intonation sounds out of tune. That a subject statement I know, but I'd go so far and say that I think it really is out of tune, considering that equal temperament has an equal distance ratio between the frequencies of all the notes.

The first time I heard Just Intonation was in an NPR piece on the subject. I was expecting some kind of magic to pour forth from the speakers, but instead the instrument (harpsichord IIRC) sounded somewhat out-of-tune, but in an intentional methodical way. I didn't care for it at all.

Originally Posted By: David Sprunger
Some have said that "equal temperament" is a compromise between all the notes, but I think it's actually a natural arrangement of the scale.

I haven't exhaustively studied it, but it seems pretty amazing that 12 note equal temperament more or less aligns the fundamentals with so many important harmonics. Like Ben Franklin's apocryphal beer, maybe it's a sign that god loves us? wink

#1801605 - 12/06/11 06:43 PM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't know why the thread is so fixated on just vs. equal... Equal temperament is so so and quite usable, just is very special and for most purposes quite horrible. As usual, the truth, and the art, is in between smile

And a tip to all fans of equal temperament: Do not ever listen too extensively to some beautiful thirds in one of the well-tempered, unequal tunings.

Edited by maurus (12/06/11 06:45 PM)

#1801987 - 12/07/11 11:17 AM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

If you play simple music (like most pop) which stays in the same key, or at most modulates to the dominant/subdominant/relative minor, using an unequal temperament which has pefectly tuned 3rds or 5ths (usually Meantone) will sound great. Once you start straying away from related keys and lots of accidentals intrude, the music begins to sound abrasive - great if you want this effect (amd some Baroque composers deliberately make use of it) but not if you don't. Not for nothing is Bach's '48' also known as 'The Well-tempered Clavier', even if he probably didn't use equal temperament as we know it today.

Classical singers and string, woodwind and brass players often flit between equal and unequal temperaments depending on what they're playing, and they probably do so without consciously thinking about it. When a solo violinist is playing double-stopped notes in 3rds, 4ths or 5ths, he'll obviously tune them perfectly with each other, for instance. A piano playing the same notes will sound slightly out of tune.

#1802005 - 12/07/11 11:47 AM Re: Just Intonation.... [Re: RoyR]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Meantone fifths are much smaller than 'natural' fifths (in order to reduce the comma). Still, due to nice thirds the basic chords sound quite well.

The human voice is least bound to a given tuning. Thus a solo singer or an a capella choir can (and often will) slightly shift intonation along the way. Keeping close to 'just' intervals when modulating may sometimes lead to an (intentional) overall increase or decrease of intonation at the end of a piece....

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 43 invisible), 1542 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155770 Topics
2287042 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CP4 or RD- 800
by Abby Pianoman
07/10/14 10:02 AM
Lauberger & Gloss
by David, Las Vegas
07/10/14 09:40 AM
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
07/10/14 05:08 AM
Funny way to end a Mozart sonata...
by JoelW
07/10/14 04:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission