2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 176 of 540 1 2 174 175 176 177 178 539 540
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Andy, the Chopin Nocturne is starting in the Classical Sonata Analysis thread. Anyone else with an interest is also welcome.

Richard
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
MaryBee, those are just the coolest lamps! Very interesting to gaze at--mesmerizing!

Andy, bist wishes for the nocturne. I got the Alfred Masterwork Edition of Chopin: An Introduction to His Piano Works as a Christmas present from my DH (it was on my wish list). Most of it is aspirational for me (another way of saying it'll be a good long while before I can play it), but it came with a nice CD. We listened to it this afternoon while we made homemade raviolis.

With respect to Valentina Lisitsa's flying hands--I suspect she lets loose with the hands only because she first got controlled hands down to absolute perfection.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

N
N
Not sure if this can be considered an achievement of the week, but my piano keyboard awareness has just increased tenfold (a figure I've plucked out of the air) purely by practicing my scales and arps with my eyes closed.
Never thought that would be something I could do as I heavily rely on hand watching everything I play. Wonder whether this could be applied to playing pieces? Small but steady steps......

It's also been a revelation for me to be playing on a proper acoustic instead of my digital, I didn't think my love for piano could get any stronger but it really has, I'm even enjoying the scales etc, always felt like a chore on the DP.

I've also just finished reading 'Playing the Piano for Pleasure' by Charles Cooke, an amazing read which I recommend to anybody looking for practice ideas. I've never in my life made so many highlights, bookmarks and notes in a book as I have in this one, its really inspired the way I'm going to approach practice in the future, I'm seeing the benefits already.

Hope this isn't too boring but it has excited me. Thanks for reading.

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That all sounds good Neil.

I'm not sure if I can explain what my accomplishment even is--for one tricky measure in a piece, it seems as though I have suddenly gotten some sort of map in my mind of my little finger landing in the right place. I have no idea what to call this or really how to talk about it. It isn't quite consistent and I hope it doesn't go away!

We are having the snowstorm that keeps on giving!
I'd rather stay at the piano or the forum, but I need to spend some more time with my shovel.

Learner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Checking out the BLOCK feature on the forum.
I like it!

Learner
N
N
Originally Posted by malkin
Checking out the BLOCK feature on the forum.
I like it!

What and why is that?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The feature makes it so a designated user's posts are no longer displayed. So if someone showed up and made weird and inappropriate comments you could block that user and not see those comments anymore.

The mods around here are pretty good at the long term solution to that sort of problem, but I was around on and off all day yesterday.

Learner

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
The feature makes it so a designated user's posts are no longer displayed. So if someone showed up and made weird and inappropriate comments you could block that user and not see those comments anymore.

The mods around here are pretty good at the long term solution to that sort of problem, but I was around on and off all day yesterday.

I think I know what you are talking about. I notified a mod when I saw what I thought was a very inappropriate user name, and then I reported several posts, and asked to have some of the removed. The mods are great - but I figure we have to help them and send up a red flag when we're concerned!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Exactly!

Learner
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I know what u are talking about too. I thought it was very strange. Thanks for doing it. Next time I will do the same if I know it's inappropriate. I thought it was a strange name. Kinda like a back scratcher.

N
N
It all makes sense now, thanks.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Week 44: the new desk location for the Yamaha NP11 is better. I buy a sturdy stool at the local thrift store to meet the new height requirement. I work on a companion piece to Shimmer. The new piece is slower in tempo, lower in tone, in the same key, same basic arpeggio pattern, similar harmonies.

It is revealing to me, how relatively minor changes make for a completely different mood. I call the new piece Shadow, because it is pensive and brooding in places. Shadow is a work in progress. I plan to perform what I have next Saturday at Songmakers. I may also have another go at Ashokan Farewell in front of the group. The last attempt in September was a crash and burn, so it would be nerve wracking. We will see. I am shelving some other projects to prepare for the performance day.

I am now doing about 60 minutes a day, up from 15 to 20 minutes a day during the September-December period. The increase in time makes a big difference. It felt like minimal if any progress during the three-month long period of limited time. At least I didn't stop, and slip back. I noticed more than a few others on the forum had long stretches of limited time, especially during the holidays. I have to watch my practice time, because I can get lost in the music, and my hands and wrists will complain after a longer day. I have a history of chronic use issues (hands, wrists, neck, shoulder, etc, etc, etc) that limit what I can reasonably attempt on piano.

The possibility of a new digital now looks unlikely. The desk is 42 inches wide, which is about perfect for the 41 inch wide 61-key NP11. The 88-key models are 52 or more inches wide, and there is not enough clearance for five inches of overhang on both sides. Sad. The good thing is that I didn't order a new rig (I was very close) and then find out that I don't have space for it. It may be possible to squeeze an 88-key digital in, but for now it looks like a bad idea.

As an aside, I return to my weekly yoga class. I highly recommend yoga for pianists or musicians or anyone. Yoga helps with the minor aches and pains that seem to multiply in my aging body. Breath is a big part of Hatha Yoga. Of course for flute, whistle, choir, where I have been, breath is near the top of concerns. More than a few folks in the goals thread, talked about reducing tension. Yoga, meditation would be ways to approach the tension issue, and I believe virtually all would benefit.

I find a YouTube from Allison Nisbett about some simple yoga-style stretches that she finds useful for pianists. I also view two from Graham Finch at Pianist magazine, one on tapping, staccato and legato, and another on voicing chords (varying dynamics for different notes in a chord). The magazine topics are above my level, but seeing and hearing give me more to think about. There was a video from a guy named Torley on how to play romantic piano music. Torley deconstructs some Yanni, Glass, Tiersan and then teaches some of the simple techniques that they use. It is right up my alley. Not only does it give me more to think about in terms of playing and composition, but also about process, of listening, and composing.

I mentioned the goal derived from the John Coltrane quote:
My music is a spiritual expression of who I am

With the new piece, Shadow and the companion piece Shimmer, I am getting closer to that goal. I can feel it in my bones. We will see what the live audience says. It may fall flat. That sometimes happens, a song or instrumental that I feel strongly about, gets the equivalent of yawns.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SandTiger. I am very impressed with what you are doing and how you logically approaching things. I think you are doing everything right. I wish I had treated each practice seriously like there's no tomorrow. Maybe I'm a bit emotional due to a departure of our dear friend Apple. Anyway the way to go! This is the kind of approach only possible to determined adults.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger, I love those titles for your composition and its companion piece: Shimmer and Shadow.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Not really an achievement of the week, but I got a new assignment now that Brahms intermezzo 118 #2 is somehow operational. For classical piece I'm working in the last movement of Mozart Sonata for 2 pianos in D Puano 1 part by 8/25 (for Lubec piano camp) and Haydn's f minor variations the whole thing which will take me a whole year probably. For romantic piece, i will do 2 Chopin etudes, #25 and #3. My teacher thinks I will be able to perform 25 by July. I'm still working on Bach f minor P&F from WTF Book II so we haven't decided yet. I went my second performance class. This time I screwed up more. Somehow in the middle I reverted to the second page if the piece and I could not understand why. So I repeated the section twice in an awkward way. My teacher was very encouraging and told me that I actually played better where I played and told me that I need to make all the possible mistakes before I can perform for audience. Ok. I shall try again. It's nice to have onstage performance opportunities every week though. I am trying hard to memorize the Bach piece. It will free up my mind to try out the terrace dynamics on this piece. Happy piano week for everyone!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am finally able to play the Carulli Vivace piece at 1/2 tempo and have begun to work on "I Wonder as I Wander" and "Linus and Lucy" grin.

Also started to journal my practice sessions to help my focus and be more productive with my time. I commited to increase my piano time by 25% (per 2013 Goals) but actually with the journaling it's about a 50% increase now... I notice a huge difference in my progress.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had a great lesson today and received lots of praise from my teacher, which always makes my day! She was very happy with my technical work, and pleased with the progress on the Chopin Nocturne. The finishing touches are going on the Bach Prelude. It is amazing how she can see that small changes in movement can completely change how something sounds. I actually had an "I've got this!" moment today that solved the problems that I had with the flow of the 3/4 trills in the prelude. I think I finally can get an acceptable recording of this piece and move on! She must have thought so too, because I get to start something new: Bach's Invention #4 in D minor and Debussey's Arabesque I! Yeah!

Last edited by SwissMS; 01/14/13 03:21 PM.
A
A
Teacher gave the green light on the piece I want to prepare for the february recital. Woohoo! I had learned most of the piece before I started taking lessons, more than half a year ago, but it was quite a bit beyond my technical level and mistakes were all over the place. I've been practising a bit here and there, leaving only one very hard section. "Too bad about those four bars, you can play the rest!" Then with five minutes of trying, he was playing it. *sigh* I don't know whether to be jealous or inspired, haha.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
She must have thought so too, because I get to start something new: Bach's Invention #4 in D minor and Debussey's Arabesque I! Yeah!

One of my current pieces and one of my old ones! The arabesque has slipped from my fingers just now frown but I think it could easily come back (and probably be better). Just watch out for those poly-rhythms! I suspect you'll find the invention quite straightforward and impossible at the same time. Impossible - why? Because it's Bach and he always, always manages to trip everyone up!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Impossible - why? Because it's Bach and he always, always manages to trip everyone up!!

Ha! Don't I know that! When I first looked at the Kleine Preludium I just finished, I thought it was easy. It took months to get my brain and my fingers to get on the same page, and another month for it to start sounding like music. I learned a lot from it though. I told my teacher I always wanted to have some Bach in the works. I may regret that.....

Page 176 of 540 1 2 174 175 176 177 178 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission