Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (Aly Baracat, AZNpiano, AndrewJCW, augustm, 22 invisible), 906 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1799849 - 12/03/11 06:26 AM ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown
Jolteon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Perth, Australia
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Classic FM radio station has a bit of tradition of each year holding a "Classic 100 Countdown" in which listeners vote for their favorite works, often under a specific theme, and this year it was the 20th Century. The countdown has just finished, and here is the result:

100, ADAMS - Nixon in China
99, RAMIREZ - Misa Criolla
98, PROKOFIEV - Lieutenant Kije Suite
97, ADDINSELL - Warsaw Concerto
96, SHOSTAKOVICH - Symphony No.10 in E minor Op.93
95, TAVENER - Song for Athene
94, SIBELIUS - Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 105
93, ELGAR - Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61
92, BRITTEN - Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings
91, LLOYD WEBBER - A Requiem: Pie Jesu
90, SHORE - Lord of the Rings
89, LEHAR - The Merry Widow
88, ELGAR - Dream of Gerontius
87, O'BOYLE - Concerto for Didgeridoo
86, VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - Fantasia on Greensleeves
85, WEILL - The Threepenny Opera: Prologue and Act 1
84, VILLA LOBOS - Bachianas Brazileiras No.5
83, RAVEL - Daphnis and Chloe
82, GLASS - Akhnaten
81, MESSIAEN - Turangalila-Symphonie
80, GRAINGER - Irish Tune from County Derry
79, BARBER - Violin Concerto Op.14
78, ELGAR - Symphony No.1 in A-flat Op.55
77, GERSHWIN - Piano Concerto in F
76, BERNSTEIN - Candide
75, STRAUSS - An Alpine Symphony Op 64
74, KORNGOLD - Violin Concerto in D, Op35
73, MAHLER - Symphony No 6 in A Minor
72, GERSHWIN - An American in Paris
71, BRITTEN - A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
70, BRITTEN - A Ceremony of Carols
69, RACHMANINOFF - Vespers Op. 37 (All Night Vigil)
68, JENKINS - The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace
67, DEBUSSY - Preludes
66, MAHLER - Symphony No.9 in D
65, PARRY - Jerusalem
64, RESPIGHI - Pini di Roma (Pines of Rome)
63, SCHOENBERG - Verklarte Nacht (Transfigured Night) for string sextet Op.4
62, RAVEL - Piano Concerto in G
61, MAHLER - Symphony No.4 in G
60, SHOSTAKOVICH - Symphony No.7 in C Op.60, 'Leningrad'
59, BRITTEN - War Requiem
58, MAHLER - Symphony No.8 in E-flat, 'Symphony of a Thousand'
57, PROKOFIEV - Symphony No.1 in D Op.25, 'Classical'
56, PART - Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten
55, CANTELOUBE - Chants d'Auvergne (Songs of the Auvergne)
54, RAVEL - Pavane pour une infante defunte (Pavane for a Dead Princess)
53, RESPIGHI - Ancient Airs and Dances
52, PUCCINI - Turandot
51, SCULTHORPE - Kakadu
50, BRITTEN - Peter Grimes
49, EDWARDS - Dawn Mantras
48, SHOSTAKOVICH - Gadfly Suite
47, STRAVINSKY - Petrushka
46, SCULTHORPE - Small Town
45, EDWARDS - Violin Concerto 'Maninyas'
44, RACHMANINOFF - Symphony No.2 in e minor Op.27
43, GLASS - Violin Concerto No.1
42, BARTOK - Concerto for Orchestra
41, MESSIAEN - Quatuor Pour Le Fin Du Temps
40, STRAUSS - Der Rosenkavalier, Op. 59
39, KATS-CHERNIN - Wild Swans
38, PROKOFIEV - Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67
37, RAVEL - String Quartet in F
36, MORRICONE - The Mission
35, STRAVINSKY - L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird)
34, DEBUSSY - La Mer
33, MAHLER - Das Lied von der Erde (The Song of the Earth)
32, COPLAND - Fanfare for the Common Man
31, SHOSTAKOVICH - Symphony No.5 in d minor Op.47
30, SIBELIUS - Symphony No. 5
29, WESTLAKE - Antarctica Suite
28, PUCCINI - Tosca
27, SIBELIUS - Symphony No. 2 in D Major Op. 43
26, KHACHATURIAN - Spartacus
25, MAHLER - Symphony No.5 in c-sharp minor
24, GERSHWIN - Porgy and Bess
23, SIBELIUS - Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47
22, RACHMANINOFF - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Op.43
21, ELGAR - Pomp and Circumstance March No 1 in D Op.39
20, RAVEL - Bolero
19, RACHMANINOFF - Piano Concerto No.3 in D minor Op.30
18, COPLAND - Appalachian Spring
17, PUCCINI - Madama Butterfly
16, PART - Spiegel Im Spiegel
15, SIBELIUS - Finlandia
14, GORECKI - Symphony No.3 Op.36, 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs'
13, BERNSTEIN - West Side Story
12, VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
11, STRAUSS - Vier letzte Lieder (Four Last Songs)
10, PROKOFIEV - Romeo and Juliet Op.64
9, STRAVINSKY - Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring)
8, ORFF - Carmina Burana
7, BARBER - Adagio For Strings
6, RODRIGO - Concierto de Aranjuez
5, RACHMANINOV - Piano Concerto No. 2
4, VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - The Lark Ascending
3, GERSHWIN - Rhapsody in Blue
2, HOLST - The Planets
1, ELGAR - Cello Concerto in E minor Op.85

Listeners were allowed to vote for a maximum of 10 pieces. (the time frame was 1901-2010)

What do you think of this list? What would be in your 20th Century vote?

Here was my vote:
*RACHMANINOFF, S - Piano Concerto No.2 in c minor Op.18
*RACHMANINOFF, S - Piano Concerto No.3 in d minor Op.30
RAVEL, M - Piano Trio in a minor
Kabalevsky - Violin Concerto in C Op.48
*ELGAR, E - Pomp and Circumstance March No 1 in D Op.39.1, 'Land of Hope and Glory'
*GERSHWIN, G - Piano Concerto in F
*GERSHWIN, G - Rhapsody in Blue
NIELSEN, C - Symphony No.4 Op.29, 'The Inextinguishable'
PROKOFIEV, S - Piano Concerto No.3 In C Op.26
POULENC, F - L'embarquement pour Cythère FP150

I realise a lot of you dislike these kinds of votes and lists, because they are nothing more than a popularity contest - and most of the works in this list are more Romantic than they are of a "20th Century" nature. In fact, the ratio of pre-1950 to post-1950 is 80:20. But it's a fun thing to be a part of, and it's fun to watch all the comments from listeners about their opinions and so on.

Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#1799864 - 12/03/11 07:44 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

It's a VERY odd list, IMO. I mean really, the Warsaw Concerto is on it (and some other movie stuff), but nothing at all by Ligeti? And the Elgar cello concerto is No. 1? That is a wonderful piece, no doubt, but number one in the 20th century? The mind boggles. Australia is stranger than I thought... smile

Anyway, was it supposed to be all orchestral? Or did it just turn out that way.

I don't really hate these kind of lists, even if they are pretty silly, but I can't really participate in an honest way because I could never narrow my vote down that much. I suppose Stravinsky's Rite would have to be one of my ten choices, but after that, everything rapidly turns into really crazy juggling of literally hundreds of possibilities. And I don't like choosing between pieces that I love in very different ways - it's like asking parents which of their children they love the most.

#1799867 - 12/03/11 08:04 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
Jolteon Offline
500 Post Club Member

It isn't supposed to be orchestral, but I guess it's orchestral music that is often the most fun and big and exciting, and people would grow up listening to it. The Debussy preludes are in there at #67! smile

Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.

#1799882 - 12/03/11 08:48 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
Beethoven747-400 Offline

I would of loved to see the Prokofiev third and second piano concerto up there!

#1799896 - 12/03/11 09:31 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
Jame334 Offline

Oh hey look, Pärt is up there, 16th place.

#1799991 - 12/03/11 12:54 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: wr]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: wr
It's a VERY odd list, IMO. I mean really, the Warsaw Concerto is on it (and some other movie stuff), but nothing at all by Ligeti? And the Elgar cello concerto is No. 1? That is a wonderful piece, no doubt, but number one in the 20th century? The mind boggles. Australia is stranger than I thought... smile

It could also be that it's mostly weirdos who participate in these sorts of surveys. I don't think I've ever heard the Elgar Cello concerto and I'd wager that very few of the people I studied music with have either. To call it a popular favourite in Australia is simply bizarre. That whole list was bizarre to my way of thinking and doesn't even slightly represent the repertoire of music being performed across a multi-year cycle at the usual concert halls of Australia.

#1799997 - 12/03/11 01:10 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: ando]
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: ando
I don't think I've ever heard the Elgar Cello concerto and I'd wager that very few of the people I studied music with have either. To call it a popular favourite in Australia is simply bizarre.

I admit that seeing the Elgar concerto in first place was rather bizarre. But it is a key piece in the repertoire of any cellist, and no doubt you will soon encounter it! An incredible piece. It is even performed fairly frequently in the States, unlike, say, the Ab symphony or Gerontius.

#1800008 - 12/03/11 01:24 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
beet31425 Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I don't think this is a strange list at all. This is the wisdom of the masses, which gets certain things right (like Wikipedia), but reduces other domains to the least common denominator. I've heard about the Elgar cello concerto my whole life, long before I ever heard the piece.

I think this is a much more normal list than the idiosyncratic list of piano music from a few weeks ago, which seemed like it was compiled by a smaller number of people. (And which had, e.g., Shostakovitch's op.87 and Schumann's Davisbundlertanze towards the top-- choices which I love, but found unusual.)

The strangest thing that I see on this list is Strauss's Four Last Songs at #11. I would have expected Heldenleben or Zarathustra. Maybe the public is more in touch with rarefied exquisite morbid yearning than I thought. smile

-Jason

#1800019 - 12/03/11 01:45 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: argerichfan]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
I don't think I've ever heard the Elgar Cello concerto and I'd wager that very few of the people I studied music with have either. To call it a popular favourite in Australia is simply bizarre.

I admit that seeing the Elgar concerto in first place was rather bizarre. But it is a key piece in the repertoire of any cellist, and no doubt you will soon encounter it! An incredible piece. It is even performed fairly frequently in the States, unlike, say, the Ab symphony or Gerontius.

I don't think it's bizarre at all. The Elgar cello concerto is extremely popular in England, so it does not surprise me that it is the same in Australia. It's the sort of piece that people who don't know much about classical music will have heard of, and so might vote for.

#1800035 - 12/03/11 02:13 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: David-G]
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David-G

I don't think it's bizarre at all. The Elgar cello concerto is extremely popular in England, so it does not surprise me that it is the same in Australia. It's the sort of piece that people who don't know much about classical music will have heard of, and so might vote for.

Only bizarre, David, in that I didn't expect it to land in first place! Having been raised in England, I am certainly aware of Elgar's (deserved) popularity there, but down under was a bit of a surprise.

I would expect the Elgar concerto to place in any list of favourite 20th century compositions, and for that matter, in a list of the greatest 20th century compositions.

#1800037 - 12/03/11 02:15 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Well, yes, first place is rather bizarre IMO (although I do love it).

Music is my best friend.

#1800068 - 12/03/11 03:54 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: ando]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I don't think I've ever heard the Elgar Cello concerto and I'd wager that very few of the people I studied music with have either.
Perhaps they haven't heard of Jacqueline du Pre either - I think she had a lot to do with the work's popularity, and in my observation, yes, it is a very popular work in Australia.

The top 2 surprised me, actually - I expected Rhapsody in Blue, Carmina Burana, or the Rodrigo. But I didn't really think, given the nature of the countdown and the radio station's audience, that it was bizarre, and I do love the Holst and the Elgar.

#1800069 - 12/03/11 03:57 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: beet31425]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425
The strangest thing that I see on this list is Strauss's Four Last Songs at #11. I would have expected Heldenleben or Zarathustra. Maybe the public is more in touch with rarefied exquisite morbid yearning than I thought. smile
I *love* rarefied exquisite morbid yearning! smile

#1800080 - 12/03/11 04:40 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: currawong]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong

I ***adore*** it!

Music is my best friend.

#1800089 - 12/03/11 04:59 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Just one more comment. I think the list is influenced by the music that ABC classic FM has been playing recently, too. There are a large number of people for whom I suspect this station is their main source of knowledge and experience of classical music, and generally speaking it does a good job, particularly in the parts of the day/night where complete works are played. If this survey had been held in the same year as the SIPC (Sydney international piano competition) I think you would have seen more piano music, Ligeti included. (SIPC is broadcast and promoted extensively.) In the last year all the Mahler symphonies from the Ashkenazy/SSO concerts have been broadcast (and promoted, and recorded), for example. Specific genres were also suggested ("don't forget film music"), and a number of works played before the countdown began, with comments like "perhaps you might want to vote for this in the countdown".

I did enjoy the phone-in comments, ranging from "why do you bother with all this atonal crap" to "I used to hate music like this but I heard this today and was transfixed". Not everyone was fixed rigidly to their original preferences. Some said that now they'd heard all this music they'd never heard before they'd like to vote again.

I supposed what surprised me was that there actually was (for example) some Messiaen in the list. I fully expected that the results would favour 1900-1950, and romantic music at that, but I found some aspects of the whole thing encouraging. It's pretty commercial - there will now be a CD collection of snippets coming out - but I don't think it's a waste of space.

#1800102 - 12/03/11 05:22 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
IanW Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Another thing to consider is that the poll might say a bit about the "english-ness" of typical ABC Classic FM listeners. UK composers led the top 100 (19) followed by Russia (17) and USA(13), a result I wouldn't have expected.

Just one other piano related thing - I thought Simon Tedeschi and the ASO did a really astounding job on Rhapsody in Blue as part of the top 5 concert last night. Anybody else see or hear it?

#1800154 - 12/03/11 06:58 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I'm embarassed to admit that I've never heard of some of this music and a few of the composers. Others I know well and love. I'm going to print out the list and fire up Youtube so I can give them a listen. Thanks for sharing this Jolteon.

Deborah

#1800188 - 12/03/11 08:34 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: currawong]
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Perhaps they haven't heard of Jacqueline du Pre either - I think she had a lot to do with the work's popularity, and in my observation, yes, it is a very popular work in Australia.

I am glad to see you on this thread! Yes, Ms. du Pre did more than any other to popularize this incredibly written concerto. Her earlier recording with Barbirolli (along with Janet Baker's sublime Sea Pictures) is very much a force to be reckoned with.

But I cannot say I love it. It is too over-the-top, the kind of emotional overdrive which characterizes the screaming hysteria of the Mahler symphonies. Elgar was not Mahler, his muse was so much more subtle, totally devoid of Mahler's exhibitionism.

Elgar's quiet profundity seems so lost on Americans. Bernstein hated Elgar (how little he understood that man's music), but he so powerfully trained America to accept Mahler as someone they could really identify with. The nervous anxiety of the Cold War, all the ingredients were there in spades. Mahler was the man!

Don't expect anyone to agree. Mahler is GOD, it is okay to question the importance of Mozart, Chopin, Brahms, Bruckner or Wagner (it has been done on this board without murder), but Mahler? No, he is somehow above any criticism, no other composer has such a messianic significance. To love Mahler is to confirm, after all, that we can cry and pretend we're profound also.

Ah, the worship of Mahler. Good day, there are so many more important things in my life.

#1800196 - 12/03/11 08:47 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: argerichfan]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's quite possible that the Elgar Cello Concerto is played on that very station quite a bit. I don't listen to ABC FM like I used to. I can very well believe that people who are oriented towards cello music would be very well aware of the Elgar. I was not disputing that it might be a very significant work, more that it's not really in the universal consciousness of most listeners like, say, Ravel's Bolero. It is a wonder to me how such a work could find itself at number one.

It's funny actually, no matter who you are, there always seem to be works that have escaped you. I recognise about 85% of that list, yet I've never heard the Elgar Concerto. (and yes, I do know who Jacqueline du Pré was! Died so young frown ) For whatever reason, I don't seem to come across a lot of Cello Concertos, nor do I see them listed on programs terribly often. I'm certainly not an average Joe when it comes to repertoire either; when I was studying music (Melbourne, Graz and Vienna), I had the chance to hear heaps of Cello music. We were required to perform on a regular basis, and if you could nail down an accompanist, Concertos were quite available. There were several cellists around, still no Elgar. I just put it down to fate not uniting us yet. Still amazes me that fate united so many other people with the Elgar without my knowledge!

#1800204 - 12/03/11 09:19 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jolteon
It isn't supposed to be orchestral, but I guess it's orchestral music that is often the most fun and big and exciting, and people would grow up listening to it. The Debussy preludes are in there at #67! smile

Oh - I missed the Debussy on the list. And that just makes the list so much the stranger - of all the piano solo music in the world, that's the only example on the list!!

But now that currawong made the point that the list is probably strongly influenced by what has been heard recently on the station, I can see why it might be kinda peculiar, maybe even hella peculiar.

#1800668 - 12/05/11 02:55 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: argerichfan]
Sequentia Offline

Don't expect anyone to agree. Mahler is GOD, it is okay to question the importance of Mozart, Chopin, Brahms, Bruckner or Wagner (it has been done on this board without murder), but Mahler? No, he is somehow above any criticism, no other composer has such a messianic significance. To love Mahler is to confirm, after all, that we can cry and pretend we're profound also.

Ah, the worship of Mahler. Good day, there are so many more important things in my life.

What a load of unprovoked, unsubstantiated, aimless crap.

#1800675 - 12/05/11 03:43 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: IanW]
Jolteon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: IanW
Just one other piano related thing - I thought Simon Tedeschi and the ASO did a really astounding job on Rhapsody in Blue as part of the top 5 concert last night. Anybody else see or hear it?

Yes, that was one of the best performances I've heard of the Rhapsody in Blue. Shame the pianist with the Rach couldn't live up to it. smile

They said on Twitter that they are going to be releasing a 101-200 list soon, which will probably give us a bit of an insight into some less popular but great music. Apparently 4'33" was at #121 laugh

#1800677 - 12/05/11 04:06 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Sequentia]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sequentia

What a load of unprovoked, unsubstantiated, aimless crap.
Well it's certainly unprovoked. I can't recall any Mahler worship around here recently, unless it was me saying how much I love the last movement of the 3rd symphony and Das Lied von der Erde. Hardly worship, though. And who has ever jumped on argerichfan for criticising Mahler? No-one, that I can recall. Perhaps he's just having a bad day. Should listen to some Mahler. laugh

#1800750 - 12/05/11 10:06 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Even though Scriabin's masterpieces like the Poem of Ecstasy are too great to be even remotely associated with most of the music on that list, it's still sad that he isn't on the list at all.

#1800756 - 12/05/11 10:20 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: currawong]
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Perhaps he's just having a bad day.

No, not really. Thank-you anyway and Merry Christmas!

#1800757 - 12/05/11 10:24 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: babama]
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: babama
Even though Scriabin's masterpieces like the Poem of Ecstasy are too great to be even remotely associated with most of the music on that list...

WOW. A smiley or two might have softened the hyperbole. wink

#1800766 - 12/05/11 10:53 AM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: currawong]
beet31425 Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

I know *you* do. And if you were really an accurate representation of "the public", then "what a wonderful world it would be...." smile

-J

#1800896 - 12/05/11 03:15 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: beet31425]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, the public of ABC Classic FM is not the "general" public...

Music is my best friend.

#1800983 - 12/05/11 05:08 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: Jolteon]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
Ok as lists go - its not a terrible one.

Looking at the top 5 I'm not too surprised they are indeed 5 of the most familiar and well loved works - although "Lark Ascending" would be a lot further down my personal list and I'd probably put Rach #2 at the my personal top spot.

As for the Elgar - I am truly amazed that any serious student of music could be unfamiliar with it. It is a fantastic piece of music (I really enjoyed playing the Viola transcription of it back in the day - complete with de-tuned C string for a low 'B' in the slow movement!).
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#1801053 - 12/05/11 08:11 PM Re: ABC Classic FM - Classic 100 20th Century Countdown [Re: DadAgain]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DadAgain

As for the Elgar - I am truly amazed that any serious student of music could be unfamiliar with it. It is a fantastic piece of music (I really enjoyed playing the Viola transcription of it back in the day - complete with de-tuned C string for a low 'B' in the slow movement!).

Whether or not you think it's fantastic has no bearing on whether somebody should have become familiar with it. A lot of other instrument groups don't focus on cello music. I've heard hundreds of concertos in my life and have 2 degrees in music and studied at 3 different conservatories so if that still doesn't make me a serious student of music, well, so be it. I simply haven't come across it before. I can tell you that I have heard many great pieces of music that you have never heard too (most people can say the same). You have a particular interest in string music which makes it less likely that you would have missed certain works. Still, nobody has heard everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianos at the museum
by phantomFive
09/04/15 10:06 PM
Washington Post on Pianos
by BDB
09/04/15 09:26 PM
possible relocation to: Portland, OR; DC area; Phoenix, AZ..
by P I A N O piano
09/04/15 09:00 PM
LIPC seni-finalists announced
by Frankni
09/04/15 08:56 PM
Scarlatti K380
by teachum
09/04/15 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,681 Topics
2,442,112 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission