2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Thanks for the positive feedback! Some of the pieces are easier than others, but I take the same approach to all of them. I play the right hand separately. The right hand part is generally pretty simple. For the left hand section, I look for patterns. Generally, there are only a few chords in each song that repeat over and over (see O Holy Night.) The other tactic is using a metronome to help set the tempo (start slow and increase speed.) Given the way the chords are broken up, keeping the tempo becomes easier once you get used to playing both hands. I have learned 4 pieces from the book. It took about 1 week for each piece before I was able to play proficiently. O Holy Night was the most difficult for me. One last thing, I add/change certain parts of the piece, so my play doesn't necessarily match the sheet music.

Good Luck!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
M
M
Thanks so much for your advice. I've got the right hand mastered as it's essentially the same from 3A. In fact there are sections that are identical even with the left hand. I'm having trouble keeping a nice pace with the left hand in addition to reaching all the notes so I have taken your suggestion and have begun using the metronome. Over time I may come to some version that is pleasing.

M
M
this is a great thread I am starting work on big time piano level 3a-3b and this has encouraged me to get the adult all in one volume 2
indeed I believe when you finish this book I should be at level two
I believe this book is equivalent to the john thompson book two and three.
I was a john thompson advocate but the level three book was monotonous the songs all sounded the same to me.

one thing I will give to the original john thompson course is the etude selections which seem to not be available anymore.

I am going to go to Faber because I need songs that are interesting to play I am 44 and have little tolerance to just do exercises
if Faber adult book prepares me for a true fourth grade leve then I will be very happy indeed

and for material you can always buy a intermediate folio of songs at the 3rd grade level to give you more to munh on.

I'm told that the adult all in one includes 3a and 3b. It may not be worthy your money.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
maduro, when you say "true fourth grade level", every series, and every rating scheme, varies a little bit in its levels.

If you're just starting work on the Faber & Faber BigTime piano books, then I think (contra Michael Taylor) that the Adult All-In-One Book 2 is a good choice. As Michael Taylor says, it covers Piano Adventures levels 3a and 3b and prepares you for Piano Adventures level 4. It will give more explanation and reinforcement of what you're seeing in the BigTime books, including some (but not onerously many) exercises to solidify certain skills.

But we're basically saying the same thing: it overlaps the skills tested in your BigTime books.

I see the overlap as good, because it goes into the material in more specificity and I always think that's good. Michael sees it as maybe not worth it, precisely because it's similar material.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
I went to the Faber website and read through the catalog at Piano Adventures.com

I'm wondering if my plan to skip book 3a/3b is a good idea. The website basically points you to book three after completing All In One book 2. I'm not interested in skipping any material. I've taught billiards in the past. Everyone wants to skip the basics and learn trick shots, bank shots, etc.....all the exciting stuff. Fundamentals are important. That being said, I think I will get a little bored with book 3, as much of the material in book 2 is a little slow for me. What keeps me going is that I am still learning new things each week. I keep my excitement level up by learning more complex pieces.

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 12/08/11 07:38 PM. Reason: Corrected issue with bad link.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Michael Taylor, the link in your post doesn't seem to go the the Faber Teacher's Guide you mention, and I can't find anything on the pianoadventures.com website that talks about what level follows Adult Book 2.

maduro, I have to correct what I said. The Piano Adventures website says that the BigTime level, which you say you're doing, corresponds to PA 4, not PA 3A/3B. So I agree with Michael Taylor that Adult Book 2 may not have much new material for you. On the other hand, you may find tidbits in there that you haven't seen before. You can always use it for sight-reading practice.

Regarding whether Adult Book 2 should really be followed by PA 3A, 3B, or 4: based on the chapter titles PA 4 would follow. But it may be that to truly master the 3A/3B material in Adult Book 2 you need more time with it, in which case PA 3A or 3B would be better to do next.

I tried asking this on the pianoadventures forums but got no reply for the Adult books. And I do seem to recall once seeing there (but can't find it again) something saying PA 4 was not always the best follow-on to Adult 2, and 3A or 3B would be better.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Hello everybody!

I just started the Adult All-In-One Book 1 last night after unpacking and putting together my new Kawai CN43 digital piano. I taught myself to play keyboard as a kid, (I'm now 31), just playing melodies on the right hand and block chords on the left. I played trumpet all through highschool and guitar for the last ten years. My classic rock band just broke up so I decided to finally learn to properly play the piano, (without a teacher for now).

I'm solid on music theory and can read and play treble clef music pretty well, but learning to read bass clef and use my left hand independently is going to be my first big challenge.

In the couple hours I've been able to play, I got to page 53 or so in Book 1 but I'm going to hit a wall real soon as soon as the left hand stuff picks up.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going because I'm sure I'll need help as I get going over the coming weeks and months.

I too was curious about where to go after Adult Book 2, but I won't have to worry about that for a while...

Kawai CN43
Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 2
Faber Developing Artist Library, Book 1
Chopin - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28 No. 4
Audio Progress Log:
http://soundcloud.com/rjdio666/sets/chris-learning-piano-12-2011
Sorry about the bad link. My iPad and I don't get along well some days! If you open the catalog (from the Faber website) and go to page 4. There is a nice diagram that shows how the adult piano adventures matches up with the Piano Adventure series. I guess I will be doing book 3. I will likely try to pick up the pace. I was really looking forward to book 4, but I guess it will be a little bit more time before I get there.

With so many Faber students here, there is no need for the CD's! Post some videos!

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Welcome, Dio666! Looking forwad to hearing your progress and cheering you on.

Michael Taylor, thanks for pointing me to the Catalog/Teacher's Reference. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Level 3. I find the biggest challenge n the regular PA pieces to be the speed at which it's suggested to play them.

@PianoStudent.....do you find them too slow or too fast?

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Too fast! I read the Teacher Guide/Catalog last night, and was intrigued by the information about level 3B and playing fast. In particular, new to me was that one of the goals in practicing slow is to practice the gestures that you'll need to play fast.

I adore the PA emphasis on gesture, and I wish my piano teacher did more of that with me. I'll ask her about it. Maybe I'm doing it all perfect already, laugh.

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Aha, at last! A reply on the pianoadventures forum about what follows Adult Book 2:

While I move Accelerated 2 "completers" into PA 3A, I move Adult 2 ones into 3B. I think 3A is too much of a repeat for them, yet 3B is good preparation for Level 4.

M
M

+1

I just bit the bullet on adult book two I am using this to replace thompson book three
and I am already curious how to follow
what you say makes sense going to 3b
I wouldnt mind doing that before going on to book 4
great compromise

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just picked up the accelerated learning books for the "older" beginner. It's meant for teens but I liked its content better than Alfred or the adult books. I have book 1 and 2. I can play minimal songs with bh, but sight reading is a chore. So I'm on page 10 right now. Just clapping out rythms and trying to keep with it on the keyboard. I have no rythm at all. The quarter notes seem to tangle me up really bad for some reason. I'm also practicing other songs seperately so should be interesting.

Becca

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
After today's lesson, I have decided that I am definitely moving to book 3 next. I just don't know if I should move to 3a or 3b. I have come to realize that my site reading ability still needs a lot of work.

I have played several pieces from the level 4 books (the Christmas pieces, and Canon in D, and Hungarian Dance) but it takes a good amount of practice to be able to play them fluidly. I have played a few pieces from the level 3 books such as (America The Beautiful) which I righteously bombed in my very first recital!

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 12/09/11 07:04 PM.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
BeccaBb, the Accelerated sounds like a good choice. Good luck with your rhythm practice. Let us know how it goes.

Michael Taylor, if I were wanting to improve my reading, I would go with 3A to get really rock-solid at that level and to increase the amount of reading practice I'd have before ultimately getting to 4. Among other things, 3A introduces the Alberti bass pattern that you'll see in a lot of classical music, so it's a good source for practice in reading it.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 12/09/11 08:34 PM.

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Re-revising my thoughts: I'll check the overlap between pieces in the Adult Book 2 vs. 3A (and 3B) when I get home.

The All in One book 2 also introduces the Alberti bass. I don't mind the repetition, but I hope it's not the exact same pieces!

[Linked Image]

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
OK, the count is in.

Level 3A Lesson has 22 pieces, 12 of which appear in Adult 2, including most if not all of my favorites from 3A.

Level 3A Performance has 15 pieces, 1 of which appears in Adult 2.

Level 3B Lesson has 18 pieces, 5 1/2 of which appear in Adult 2. (The 1/2 is House of the Rising Sun, which is arranged in 3B and in lead sheet format in Adult 2.)

Level 3B Performance has 14 pieces, 1 of which appears in Adult 2.

The Technique and Artistry books give several more, slightly shorter, pieces, along with lots of exercises to practice the technique secrets for each level. One teacher I've read talks about these as the core of the PA method, with the Lesson and Performance books existing to provide practice with the good technique promoted in the T&A books.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission