2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pw2u Offline OP
OP Offline
P
So many digital pianos have flimsy structures that buzz and resonate with some key presses. Wondering if anyone has mounted the innards in a more rigid and damped (more acoustically inert) structure. I used a Yamaha P80 and KX8. Both had superb key actions but buzzed and were very noisy because of particle board/plastic construction. If one replaced that with solid wood that was acoustically damped, it might transform the instrument.
Also wondering if anybody replaces the felt so the keys aren't so awfully noisy. There is key depression noise as well as key return noise. The key return noise seems to be worse in most keyboards.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Wait, the P80 doesn't have speakers. This makes it hard for me to imagine what you mean by buzz. Are you referring to pianos that do have speakers on that one or is there a buzz associated with the action you are referring to?

I totally know what you mean about the loud key depression and return noises. I think over time the felt (and whatever else) compresses and gets noisier than it was originally. In fact, I think manufacturers should be more careful to make that stuff quiet. Some manufacterers are better than others. I remember that my P80 was much louder and more abrupt in its key action than the Kawai I replaced it with.

When you have headphones plugged in, it makes quite a difference to others in your house.

I'm almost sure I've seen someone replace a strip of felt in their piano. Might not have been on this forum.

Good question, though. I wish digital pianos were a little more serviceable (or perhaps we just need to be a little more willing to tear into it and improve things). Probably as DP's proliferate, piano technicians will start doing some of this type of work.

Last edited by gvfarns; 12/09/11 01:11 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
gvfarns, you said :

"Wait, the P80 doesn't have speakers. This makes it hard for me to imagine what you mean by buzz. Are you referring to pianos that do have speakers on that one or is there a buzz associated with the action you are referring to?"

But pw2u is saying that the structure itself (body, panel or parts) resonates in sympathy with the key action - this is nothing to do with amplification & speakers or even sound generation.

I had this problem with the control panel on the HP302. A tiny rectangle of plastic cut out of a disposable razor cover, inserted between the red felt and panel above the penultimate key stopped the vibration.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission