2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 232 of 540 1 2 230 231 232 233 234 539 540
T
T
Originally Posted by 255
Originally Posted by casinitaly
What are you pleased with this week?

I finally got a teacher.

Great news. What's your teacher like?

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Wow! What a great list of achievements: new teacher, new challenging music, playing in public, recitals, recordings and Dubussy too. Kudos to all of you.

I've been immersed in final exams, grading, grade complaints etc...the usual for end of semester.

I was scheduled to take my piano theory exam (written) on May 18 and I studied and rested and felt prepared. When I arrived at the scheduled exam center there was not a soul in sight...no cars...no life at all. I called, I knocked on the door, I finally left my business card and went home disappointed. The Music Achievement Program (RCM) had confused the center director by cancelling one event but not all. SO...I had calls of apology from the center director and MAP. My exam was rescheduled at my convenience (that was nice) and I took the Basics Rudiments on Tuesday May 21. Felt like I passed...could have done well IF my less certain responses were indeed correct.

Next step is the performance exam for level 5 coming up on Saturday June 1 at a different location. Somedays I practice pretty well but other days...ouch. My listening skills (playback, intervals, clapping rhythms) all depend on how hard a test selection they give me. Hoping for the best.

I've missed being on PW. Good to know you're all doing well.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Break a leg, WiseBuff! I'll think about you on June 1 - good thoughts all the way!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Got the Seacoast NH Music Teachers' Honors rectial this Saturday June 1st. Heaven help me, but I have decided to play the Chopin a minor Grande Valse Brilliante from memory. I've worked very hard to get it really cemented in my mind. And reading it from music will only be confusing at this point. Another recital on Wednesday June 5th. I'm playing the Grieg Op 71 no 7 Remembrances for that. And NOT from memory. I've got the first page memorized. But, then I've found it difficult to memorize for some reason. The various modulations are so smilar but in different keys, and my brain is in revolt!!! So, from the music on Wednesday. Two more little pianos coming to my signature. Having these little medals for achievements is kind of fun! I'm so glad I found this site!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I played the piano while everyone was talking and eating. My buddies were closest to the piano and could actually hear me (It was pretty noisy in the room) - and I got applause. That was fun.

I guess so Cheryl, what fun. What sort of things did you play? Was the piano a good one...in tune I hope. grin

I played Sneakin' Round and Gypsy Legend - not too much but it was important to me to give it a try and take the challenge!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
AOTW is finally learning how to slow down and turn the volume down on midi files. I have an old laptop hooked up to my dp which can play midi files through the dp and thus into my headphones (my wife could not put up with the noise of me practicing....neither can I some days).

Anyway I always read you will benefit by playing along with another piano player, although I will settle for a midi file. But despite several months of tinkering I could not get a system up and working, Yesterday I cracked it, so look out there is two of us now.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
warlock214 - Congrats on your achievement with dynamics.
Michael_99 - Nice to read your detailed opinion about so great stuff. And good luck with your new piece.
floydthebarber71 - 20min is better than nothing. Keep practicing!
ElleC - Great news about your Prelude in Em. Can we ear your record?
rnaple - Beeing constructuive is always a good point of view. Nice story.
casinitaly - Yeah, congratulations! I wish I could listen your performance. Must have been fun!
FarmGirl - Yes, play it slowly, fell the music and enjoy. It's always a good approach.
Saranoya - I'm sure you'll do your "exame" with confindence. Try to think you are going to have a good time playing for friends, and enjoy.

More later...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
D
D
Played Chopin´s Nocturne No.9 Op.2 through for the first time today and it even sounded pretty nice. Of course its not even near perfection but still, i´m pretty happy! I´m so glad that i picked up that piece, although it felt really really hard when I started to play it (and still does).

Last edited by Dumik; 05/28/13 03:00 PM.
255 Offline
Originally Posted by Toastie
Great news. What's your teacher like?

He's a professional pianist, he's young and motivated, and well... since he's my first one I can't compare him with anyone else but he's ok and now I'm not lost anymore about what and how practicing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My recital is coming... Saturday June 1st.
Last Sunday I had my second rehearsal in front a competent public (a former piano teacher, friend of my mother); I was really nervous, my hands were so cold and I made some errors but didn't stop - big improvement for me.
I got advices from her.

I wonder how I will survive a hall full of people (it will my next AOTW!)...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

Way to go, putting yourself out there in the public eye. It must have felt great to get that applause out of the crowd.

I had a very good lesson today. I played my recital piece, which is a short melodic section that comes in the middle of the third movement of Chopin's piano sonata no.2. I managed get through it with only a minor slip the first time through, and pretty much as intended on the repeat. My teacher had some very nice things to say. Even though I suspect she was pumping up the team in anticipation of the big game next Sunday, I'll take the compliments. Oddly, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the recital this year. Maybe I'll find that inner child yet. grin

She goes on vacation after the recital, so she also gave me a new piece to work on by Scriabin. She played it for me, and casually added "after you learn this you will never have a problem with three against two." Yikes, it is all three against two.....some of it three against two in the same hand! arggggh.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Good luck to everyone playing a recital this weekend! The ABF will be pulling for you!!! I know each and every one of us will do our best. Hopefully we will have some fun and enjoy playing for other people too.

I had a good dry run today. Friday the piano will have been moved into th recital room and I have been told I can do a dry run if I want to. I think I will. Anything to make myself more comfortable for SAturday.

Good luck everyone!!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Catching up!
Warlock - congrats on improving your dynamics - it is lots of fun when you can get rolling on adding expression to the notes!

Saranoya - In boca al lupo for your exam! (you have to say "crepi") (It means "in the mouth of the wolf" to the person taking the challenge, and the reply is "he will die". It is similar to "Break a leg" in English. You just can't say "good luck" to an Italian for an exam, so I will just extend the net to include Belgium.

MaryBee, judging from your last few recital pieces, I would say your teacher isn't getting soft - but rather you are definitely making some big strides in your playing!

Jim - I haven' had any problems with deciding on shoes (at home I usually wear flipflops)...however my first teacher did warn me to never wear high heels for a performance. So...watch out for that eh?

Michael - you always show how much joy you get from playing the piano - congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new!

Floyd - you are certainly determined and dedicated to getting in as much practice as you can. Obviously things move slowly when you don't have much time but you can make the most of what you have!

ElleC - have fun with the Grieg piece!

Rmaple - you've got a positive outlook, but it does sound like the performance overall was a let down. Better luck next time.

SwissMS - thanks smile I think the trick was that I went up to the piano after an 8 year old, and before the other 2 REALLY GOOD pianists lol. It was fun though. It sounds like your Liszt is really coming along - I look forward to hearing it !

FarmGirl - Hang in there , your Mozart will come together before you know it!

SandTiger, I like to hear about your inspiration!

255 - Congrats on your teacher - Have fun and learn lots!

Wisebuff - how very disconcerting to be set for your exam and have a no show from the examiners!!!!! I hope your impression of how well you did is right (and it probably is...we tend to be overly critical of ourselves) - and best wishes for the 1 June session!

Dynambot - sounds like you've got a lovely set of pieces for the recital - best wishes and do let us know how it all goes!

Earlofmar - techno-success! So..does this mean that you have musically cloned yourself?

CarlosCC - thanks - and hey, you HAVE heard my performance...:) But yes it would be fun to play/listen in person --- Next year Lisboa for the EPP!

Dumik - What a wonderful feeling when you start to sound "pretty nice" - Chopin is so challenging that we need that first level of "ah, ok, I'm on the right path!"

Torquenale - another recital on 1 June! In boca al lupo (and I know you don't need the explanation!

Jim: You know, it is funny , I didn't feel I was putting myself on the spot at all - my friends all know I'm a newbie (compared to all of them!) and they were so encouraging and very sweet.
Another "in boca al lupo" to you too for your recital - it sounds like you are very well prepared! I supposed one day I'll be trying to do this mysterious 3 against 2 that seems to be all the rage lately wink

I had a good lesson today - played the Radetzky with my young friend and we got through 2 of the 5 pages (big print) sounding like we were actually playing the well known piece. It was fun. I got good feedback on my 2 Schumann pieces and we picked out Beethoven's Ecossaise in E flat for me to try - and I think I'm also going to go back to Beethoven's Sonatina in G. I had started on that a good while back, but then got hit very hard with some tension issues and ended up dropping it. I am curious to see how I do with it now, after all the things I've been working on since then.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Yes! Excited! I bought myself a new Mac! I couldn't take the PC problems anymore. Hope you understand my Piano runs on my computer. Now maybe I can concentrate on music instead of technical problems.

I wish everyone the best. Recitals, tests, teachers, new music. Sounds like everyone is accomplishing.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It doesn't matter how old you are, you are always learning something. I had surgery in late January and the doctor told me it could take 6 months to get back to normal. So this is 4 months and things are good but the weeds in the tiny lot are up to my waist and I am 6 foot tall. So I realized I had to do something or I wouldn't be able to find the front door to the little shack amongst the weeds. But doing so means I have to leave my piano unattended! So yesterday I got up at 5 a.m. and worked till noon and then the rain came - so wet - I had to quit. So hopefully - now 5:00 - today I can get rid of the weeds and have the place looking almost civilized. I got up at 4 a.m. and played the piano for an hour so there is an incentive to get the weeds under control . So my achievement of the week is getting rid of the weeds and what got me excited is that get to play the piano without worrying about the weeds.

Last edited by Michael_99; 05/29/13 08:13 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I played Sneakin' Round and Gypsy Legend - not too much but it was important to me to give it a try and take the challenge!

Oh I remember that song "Sneakin Around". In fact it's in one of those books you told me about. grin It looks like a fun piece to play too.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Michael_99 - Yes, right. Sometimes is good to put the "weeds" away from our lifes.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was really nervous, my hands were so cold and I made some errors but didn't stop

That's an AOTW right there. I used to always stop or hesitate when I flubbed something. Now I just try to play right through it. Good for you! thumb

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A really great lesson yesterday, teacher passed me on Lunar Eclipse and I passed myself on Snowflake being satisfied with it now. So it's back to "Down By The Sally Gardens" and continuing with "Come Back to Sorrento". I have made pretty good progress on the latter. Teacher says I'm soooo ambitious because I have not previously studied the techniques involved in this piece <shrug>...I'm having fun with it and learning them as I go. laugh

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Michael_99
... there is an incentive to get the weeds under control ...get to play the piano without worrying about the weeds.

Get yourself a sheep, or goat, or cow. Anything that eats grass. They include an automatic fertilizer...for free! How can ya beat that? Huh? Just add water.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
Page 232 of 540 1 2 230 231 232 233 234 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission