Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 44 of 47 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 >
Topic Options
#1803670 - 12/10/11 08:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm glad to see this thread resurrected also. I'm not in Book 3 yet, and as slow as I'm going through Book 2 I may never get there, but I like reading about what's up ahead. Congrats to everyone who has stuck it out through all three books. I hope that if and when I get to Book 3 this thread is still active.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1803840 - 12/10/11 04:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: TrapperJohn]
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Cyborg - good to see someone finally post here in this long dormant, but always worthy, thread - good luck with "Dancer" - hope it's not another 4 months until the next reply or post.

BTW - whatever happened to Undone, the last remaining regular here - did he become, well, a, er, undone...? He was a real player and we haven't even heard from him in the Recitals...

Trap

I work on/off in Book 3 with my lessons, so I don't really post here too much. I've decided I want to try and get out of Book 3 once and for all, so my teacher has agreed to accelerate through the lesson sections quickly and move onto to the "ambitious" section. Also, due to the pieces at the end of Book 3 I might be in it for a good while longer.

I wonder what happened to Undone too. He hasn't posted here in months. I'm more of a lurker than poster but I'm usually floating around at some point. If he has participated in past recitals, then that makes me wonder what's up.

#1803843 - 12/10/11 04:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: mom3gram]
Cyborg Offline

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
I'm glad to see this thread resurrected also. I'm not in Book 3 yet, and as slow as I'm going through Book 2 I may never get there, but I like reading about what's up ahead. Congrats to everyone who has stuck it out through all three books. I hope that if and when I get to Book 3 this thread is still active.

The attrition rate to get to and through Book 3 is pretty high. So I'd never expect this thread to be super active. But anyone who makes it to Book 3 is to be congratulated. Anyone who finishes it is a superstar to me.

I know I was sick of Book 2 when I finished it. I loved finishing it though because of the arrangement of "Canon in D". It's been my favorite Alfred's piece so far. I'm sure that will change in the near future since I'll soon be in the ambitious section of Book 3 and it has several pieces that I've always wanted to learn. I'm real excited again about things to come.

#1816545 - 01/01/12 04:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
I received this book as a Xmas gift smile

Still on book 2, but I spend some time ripping the CD > MP3 for my phone, so I can listen to all the pieces in book 3.

For the first time, I can see a light.. some of the pieces in this book are awesome! "unfinished symphony", "toccata" and then the ambitious section.

The whole adult series 1,2 & 3 has a perfect progression of pieces, although if you like more modern pieces, I could understand a disappointment with the collection. For me, the truly great pieces are spread thinly throughout, but with enough interesting lesson pieces to keep the interest.

Hope this makes sense, and doesn't appear to much as a necromancer at work lol

#1826830 - 01/18/12 12:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
After practicing earlier this evening, I spent some time reading through approximately the first 10 pages of this Book 3 thread. Will continue with the remainder in the next day or so.

I started Book 3 (All-In-One) about a week ago, although I read through the theory pages in the first quarter of the book before that. Like many others have pointed out, some of the "For Fun" pieces seem kind of lame, and I've given myself permission to give them short shrift. So "Super Special Sorta..." and "Calypso Rhumba" I did not spend much time on.

I am working on getting my speed up on Fandango. Jazz Sequences is a little further behind and just tonight I started looking at Serenade. Went through the first repeat section hands separate.

I'm still working on a few pieces from Book 2 (and will be for awhile). Outside of the Alfred books, I'm working on the Scherzo section of Haydn Sonata No. 9 in F major. I started on the "Married Life" section from "Up" but will probably shelve in for now.

I am hoping that the other Book 3'ers will check in with the thread now and then--it's always helpful and interesting to hear how others are faring.

#1832293 - 01/26/12 12:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

For those who might like to supplement or replace "A Very Special Day" by Willard Palmer with a Haydn (or rather R. Hofstetter) piece, try "Little Serenade."

It features the "new style of bass" featured in the AIO book and looks to be at about the same level of difficulty.

Haydn Little Serenade

#1843679 - 02/13/12 08:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
I was looking to see if this thread was continuing and I am glad to see familiar posts! I've been away from this thread, but have been working back on the pieces in book 3, the simple and the not- so -simple:-)

"Moonlight Sonata" I've gotten to the end and am working on other music, for my band. Besides that, work intervenes, which is a good thing!

I'm off today because I don't go in until later and it's my birthday, so I can play "catch up" with folks that I haven't heard from.

For those who are just beginning book 3, don't give up. If you have gotten to the "Ambitious" section, take your time. It is well worth the effort!

Keep on playing and Hang in there! Take care

#1868992 - 03/26/12 10:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Cyborg Offline

I hope to finish up "Trumpet Tune" this week.

#1869893 - 03/28/12 04:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Cyborg]
Stubbie Offline

Hey, Cyborg, congrats on being into the Ambitious section. I am oh so tempted to jump into it, but it will be better if I hold off a bit.

Meanwhile--I think I'm finished with Star-Spangled Banner. It is way far from polished, but I just don't enjoy playing it. Swan Lake is coming along, and I've played Scheherazade through HS once or twice. I'm doing other pieces outside of Book 3, so I'm keeping busy. My impression from reading this Book 3 thread is that a lot of people start adding in other pieces at about this point. I'm working on a version of Canon in D that I got from Monica K. I like it a lot better than the Alfred version from Book 2. Getting it up to tempo (lots of sixteenth notes in both hands towards the end) will be a challenge for me.

#1886539 - 04/25/12 07:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Hey! I was looking for this thread.. glad it's still going strong!
I've gotten busy with work and busy learning some other ambitious music--playing with a two piece band and continuing to go back and forth in book 3.
It's good to see folks continuing on! Take care!

#1937865 - 08/05/12 08:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
tlh1 Offline

Loc: Florida
Hurray! I've arrived in Alfred 3. The Canon in D was probably the best piece so far in the Alfred series but "A Super-Special Sorta Song" is a real low point in my opinion. Luckily it's not very difficult. However, it really tires my right lower arm. I haven't felt this tense (RH-wise) in a long time. What's my problem/mistake?

EDIT: Is someone else also starting with the third part?

Edited by tlh1 (08/05/12 08:08 PM)

#1937877 - 08/05/12 08:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

TLH, congrats on starting Book 3!

Super-Special looks like it keeps the right hand busy, but it's certainly no busier than, say, Canon in D in Book 2. So, sorry, I'm not much help there. If it hurts, stop.

For the last few months most of my piano time has not been focused on Book 3--there's just so much out there that looks good!--but I've just started buckling down again on #3. I'm working on Theme from the Unfinished Symphony and Steal Away. I use the "Just for Fun" and pieces I really don't care for for sight reading practice and spend my energy on pieces that speak to me.

Book 3 has a lot more theory and covers the remaining keys from the Circle of Fifths, so there's probably less space devoted to actual pieces than in the other books. If fact, other than playing in keys that haven't been covered in Book 2, one could probably dive into most of the pieces in the book whenever one chose.

#1937922 - 08/05/12 10:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Stubbie]
tlh1 Offline

Loc: Florida
May be it's the finger #4 or perhaps I just worked too much in the yard during the past days smile

I've been thinking a lot about straying from Alfred but I'm afraid of getting lost in the multitude of options. So my plan is to get a good start into Alfred#3 and then mix in other things sparingly.

Have fun with the "Unfinished". I wish that I could catch up with you but unfortunately I'm pretty slow and not brave enough to change the order of the book.

#1945582 - 08/19/12 02:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
amirall Offline

for those who have successfully completed book 3 (congratulations, I am hoping to reach that point as well), what pieces are you guys able to play (just after finishing book 3)? how did you guys further your piano education beyond the alfred adult series?

Edited by amirall (08/19/12 02:45 PM)

#1981547 - 11/01/12 09:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Amygdala Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi, Book 3 Piano Gang! I had a real time finding this thread, so thanks for the reference in the Alfred Adult Book 1 and 2 threads! I am a 58 year old self-teaching student and I've really enjoyed progressing at my own, albeit slow, rate.

Scheherezade, page 44-45 in the All-in-One.
So far, I've gone through all the pieces in the first two Alfred (Basic) books, and the All in One #3 thus far, and the interpretation has generally been obvious, but I'm stymied here. I'm having a bit of trouble with the bass clef slurs and ties, especially at the top of page 45, 3rd measure -- Does one play the G and E-flat together for 3 counts (dotted half in 6/8 time) and then smoothly (legato) go to the G and D for one count (eighth notes) ----- or, is the G held for 4 counts, while playing first E-flat and switching to D? So far, as I'm learning the piece, I've sounded the G twice in the measure, but I'm not sure that is correct.

I've listened to the piece (not a familiar one to me) played here and watched on Youtube, but my ear is just not able to pick that up.

How does one make the distinction when the notes are the same between the slur and tie?

#1997632 - 12/10/12 10:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Amygdala]
Stubbie Offline

Originally Posted By: Amygdala
Hi, Book 3 Piano Gang! I had a real time finding this thread, so thanks for the reference in the Alfred Adult Book 1 and 2 threads! I am a 58 year old self-teaching student and I've really enjoyed progressing at my own, albeit slow, rate.

Scheherezade, page 44-45 in the All-in-One.
So far, I've gone through all the pieces in the first two Alfred (Basic) books, and the All in One #3 thus far, and the interpretation has generally been obvious, but I'm stymied here. I'm having a bit of trouble with the bass clef slurs and ties, especially at the top of page 45, 3rd measure -- Does one play the G and E-flat together for 3 counts (dotted half in 6/8 time) and then smoothly (legato) go to the G and D for one count (eighth notes) ----- or, is the G held for 4 counts, while playing first E-flat and switching to D? So far, as I'm learning the piece, I've sounded the G twice in the measure, but I'm not sure that is correct.

I've listened to the piece (not a familiar one to me) played here and watched on Youtube, but my ear is just not able to pick that up.

How does one make the distinction when the notes are the same between the slur and tie?

I missed this post in the Alfred's Book#3 thread, so I'll take a stab at it now.

I believe the correct way to play those notes is your second method: the left-hand G is held for four counts, the Eb for three and then slide down to the B for one count.

A tie is usually indicated by having the curved line extending between the side of one notehead and another. A slur (or phrase line) is from one stem to another stem or between a stem and the top or bottom of a notehead.

A slur between two adjacent, identical notes doesn't seem that common--it's almost always a tie. At least in my experience (which isn't all that much). smile

#1997728 - 12/11/12 04:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I hope you guys will keep this thread alive, I'm looking forward to joining you in a couple of months!

I'm also interested in the answer to amirall's question:
For those who have successfully completed book 3, what pieces are you guys able to play (just after finishing book 3)?

#1998116 - 12/11/12 11:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: sinophilia]
Stubbie Offline

I haven't finished Book 3 by any stretch, so I can't really answer (I'm hoping others will), but as I mentioned earlier, many of the pieces in #3 seem to be similar in level (i.e., less graded in level of difficulty) than Books 1 and 2. Instead, Book 3 brings in a good deal more theory and the remainder (or at least most) of the keys.

For me, it was at the end of Book 2 that I started branching out. For example, Canon in D at the end of Book 2 is great, but I started learning an arrangement the Lee Galloway arrangement of Canon in D that I liked better still. The Chopin Waltz in A Minor is another I worked on. Walking in the Air (a section of the G. Winston arrangement) is another. If you liked Etude (Chopin Op.10 no. 3) in Book 2, then the first 21 bars of the real deal are not impossible (the middle part is still way beyond reach). And so on.

Here are a few links to earlier discussions of what people were working on that you might find interesting:

Life after Alfred's Book 3

Alfred Adult Users Supplemental Pieces

Of course, none of this addresses how well one can learn/play vs. polish/perform anything. eek

#1998151 - 12/12/12 01:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Thank you Stubbie! Can't wait to be done with book 2. I still have some 40 pages to do but I'm definitely starting to look for music outside of it.

#2001457 - 12/18/12 11:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

Hunh. I think I just discovered an error on page 137 in the Ambitious Section ("...well-known classics in their original form...).

It's Chopin Prelude Op. 28 no. 7, measure 13 with the big chord. Alfred’s has an F5 but it should be an E5, if I’m reading it correctly. Am I reading it correctly? (Alfred’s puts the F4 in the RH rather than LH, but that’s okay.)

I was reading an old thread and came across a reference to an E in the right hand in that chord and that didn't jibe with what's in the Alfred score.

Difficult chord....

#2024373 - 01/31/13 12:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Since I am now on Book #3.....might as well bump this thread smile

#2030718 - 02/10/13 06:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: monads]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
*toting cleaning supplies and tying on maid's apron*
*knocking cobwebs out of corners*

This place needs a good cleaning to get ready for sinophilia and monads!

*sweeping dust behind the door*

So how's it going Book Threeple?

*HatChoo!*

#2030783 - 02/10/13 08:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: malkin]
Stubbie Offline

Book Threeple--I like it!

As I've mentioned before, I find Book Three less 'graded' in the sense that Books 1 and 2 worked best when taken from beginning to end, adding skills as one progressed through the books. Book 3 invites a little more skipping around and/or going to the back for the "Ambitious" selections.

From the early part of the book: Fandango was fun to play, I thought. The pieces before that, not so much, imo. I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

So far I've played up to p. 74 (Shenandoah), though I have certainly not polished every piece. In the Ambitious section, I've played Prelude 28 no.7 (Chopin) and that piece I have buffed a fair amount. I like it. smile

#2030894 - 02/11/13 01:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: malkin]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin

This place needs a good cleaning to get ready for sinophilia and monads!

laugh

Thank you malkin, I'm (hardly) resisting the temptation to open book 3... Canon in D still very shaky... one more week I guess wink

#2036216 - 02/20/13 03:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

So... here am I at the beginning of the review part of book 3! I find these first songs easy to read and grasp - which is comforting after struggling with the last pieces in book 2.

This time I will try not to skip any song and at least sight-read and play each one of them for a little while, including the ones I dislike (Super-Special Sorta Song anyone?).

Fandango is very nice indeed. I love to learn chord progressions that can be applied to other tunes too.

#2036680 - 02/21/13 12:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Book Threeple--

Agree with Stubbie on Book 3 inviting more jumping around. I've only played up to pg. 24 "Alberti Bass". I look forward to the Ambitious Section at the end of the book but I'm not sure I totally 'feel' this Alfred Series. I supplemented the series with Alfreds Masterwork Classics and told my teacher I want to complete all Levels 3-10 even if there's overlap. We're also working on other materials and have spent the past month on Bach's Invention No.1.

I'm sure the supplemental material will facilitate progress through Book 3, somewhat jading my perspective.

But I will chime in as I progress through book 3 smile

#2052299 - 03/22/13 06:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Looking for words of comfort, as usual...

I went through the first few songs of this book in a breeze, then I somehow managed to learn Haydn's Serenade and now I'm stuck with A Very Special Day and Classy Rag. The first one especially shouldn't so difficult, right? And it's depressing to see how hard it is for me to coordinate the two hands in Classy Rag. Thought I was getting better at this.

#2052323 - 03/22/13 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

It sounds like the same old Alfred pedagogy. Tickle students with a few easy pieces and then slam 'em hard with a real doozie!

Hang in there sino! I'm right behind you. (Loch Lomond)

#2052499 - 03/22/13 02:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

malkin, I'm learning so slowly right now that you will catch up with me in no time! I'm also trying to prepare something for the next ABF recital, but my progress is so slow it might well be next year's recital!

#2052664 - 03/22/13 06:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

In order for me to catch up, you would have to take a few months off!

Page 44 of 47 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (A Guy, ajames, albumblatter, Al LaPorte, 36251, 34 invisible), 1127 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157136 Topics
2307756 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
08/29/14 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission