2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
I like the Dvořák concerto, though it may not qualify as a virtuosic piece.

Not the original version, though the Kurz reworking might. It's certainly long enough. I think it compares favorably to the Tchaikovsky G major.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
I like the Dvořák concerto, though it may not qualify as a virtuosic piece.

Hardly virtuosic, the Dvořák concerto is still a mighty fine piece in the right 'hands'.

But I have always been conflicted about it. These days, the Kurz rewrite is horribly out of fashion, but IMO it is not a piece of hack work. Purists complain (not without merit) that Kurz overrides the folkish character of Dvořák's writing in favour of a more generalized Rubinstein/Scharwenka cosmopolitan virtuoso concerto.

Perhaps, but IMO there are passages in Dvořák's original which lack proper projection, they seem frustratingly provincial and sometimes just inept.

Jason
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
BRAHMS' CONCERTI ARE THE BEST!!! laugh

duuuuude, they're, like, totaly overated these days. Hummel's are way more epik and exxpressives and stuff, and Feilds's' are two, yah.

But no joke: they're seriously among the best works of all time. Period.

Last edited by AldenH; 12/03/11 04:07 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Verbum mirabilis
Originally Posted by bennevis
Are there more neglected piano concertos in this genre that you think deserve to be mainstream?

I'll add the piano concertos by Selim Palmgren. Number two, "Virta", used to be very popular.

These are worth hearing - there used to be a decent recording of all five on the Finlandia label. I particularly like the fifth.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
There are quite a few I have recordings of that I'd love to hear in a good live performance - 2nd Stenhammar, 1st Sauer, Renaldo Hahn, Berwald - off the top of my head. There are even more modern ones that I'd love to hear - but I'll stick to the topic.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
When does a virtuosic Romantic piano concerto become simply a good piano concerto?

Are there more neglected piano concertos in this genre that you think deserve to be mainstream?

Question:

As for everyone above, isn't there yet at least one other unmentioned masterpiece?

Continue below... if you do not have the answer.

@bennevis,

As for both of your questions, let's not forget to include the monumental Busoni Piano Concerto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFV_g6T5lM

I have posted only the first of nine parts which comprise the entire concerto as performed by Marc-Andre Hamelin.

It takes a few hearings to get this one under your belt, however, after doing so there's no going back!

Technically, it has to be among the most difficult in the repertoire for the pianist.

And, there is great beauty to be found in the slow movement.

Only a true virtuoso can completely master it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AldenH
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
BRAHMS' CONCERTI ARE THE BEST!!! laugh

duuuuude, they're, like, totaly overated these days. Hummel's are way more epik and exxpressives and stuff, and Feilds's' are two, yah.

But no joke: they're seriously among the best works of all time. Period.

lolz dude u speak da truth

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The Busoni concerto is almost mainstream these days grin - I've got Ogdon, Hamelin and Ohlsson on CD, and heard a few other pianists play it in concert too. But what about Reger's? It's almost an anti-concerto (a bit hard-going not just to play but to listen to......).

It's great to see so many people sharing my enjoyment of tuneful music which isn't necessarily profound but more than makes up for it in the fun factor and pyrotechnics. I've often wished that pianists would be more adventurous and play something other than Chopin/Liszt/Grieg/Schumann/Tchaik/Rach as their concerto offering. Though I suppose that many pianists are reluctant to learn a work only to find that after having recorded it for Hyperion, they find that concert promoters want to play safe and they never have the chance to play it in concert.

I can't wait to hear Moszkowski's other concerto.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Though I suppose that many pianists are reluctant to learn a work only to find that after having recorded it for Hyperion, they find that concert promoters want to play safe and they never have the chance to play it in concert.

And one top of that, many of them are outrageously difficult, too. For example, I think that Hough said one of the Hummels was the single most difficult concerto he has ever learned.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hyperian has a lengthy and wonderful series of cds ongoing with Romantic concertos by less-well-known composers. They are fun to explore and could offer interesting and surprising choices for pieces to learn. Not all of them are wonderful, but I have many of these recordings and have felt they were very worthwhile.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission