2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1804710 12/12/11 09:30 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Inspired by Deliah Derbyshire (special thanks to eglantine for reminding me !) and being a life long fan of Tangerine dream, I composed this,
Its not a song, it has only DP (and software)and is a "soundscape"
Entitled "21st Centuary Hobo"

You will need good headphones, cheap pound shop ones make it sound tinny, as it has not been digitally mastered.

Anyways, for 7 mins I wish you happy trails..

Last edited by Rostosky; 12/12/11 09:52 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Rossy,
This is absolutely OUTSTANDING!  You truly captured the feeling and sounds of riding on the rails. The timing and the rhythm is excellent, and very modern sounding. Did you do the video shoot?

You should know that I am a railroad buff. I worked on passenger trains as a coach attendant and a waiter in the dining car. I did this during my summer vacations when I was a college student. That's how I earned money for my tuition. I grew up with trains in my life. My Dad did the same work to earn a living.

You really nailed it Rossy with capturing all of the important details of the sounds. I literally closed my eyes and could feel train ride to the sounds you created. Yes, I could feel the training leaving, and I could feel the rhythm of the ride, and the sounds of the train coming to a stop in the terminal. I loved the percussion used to emphasize the sound and feel of the ride without overdoing it. It had a cool jazzy kind of feel to it, yet a bit subtle.

Congratulations Rossy!

Carl

N
N
Wow! That was absolutely incredible, my hat off to you. You're very creative!

The music was as much a journey as the video that went with it, fitted together perfectly.
While I was watching I had the thought that the music would also have made an excellent theme tune to a futuristic sci-fi movie, along the lines of Tron.

The footage from the front of the train was like being on a roller coaster simulator at Universal Studios or something, loved that!

Well done,

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks, guys, I composed the music first, and then went and "found " footage to go with it. I thought of shooting my own video, but we live out in the sticks, and the rail line out of town is single track, so no chance of trains passing each other , and i had allready created those sounds.

I have to admit to spending many hours doing this! neil, if you or anyone knows of anyone making a sci fi film, then they can use the soundscape, if I get paid a little! I so need a job.

Griffin, I suspected you may have spotted a couple of mistakes with the actual trains!!! lol.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I also liked it. Reminds of me of the chemical brothers, very soothing music. Well done.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Well done, Rossy. Great fun. My favorite is when they pass at 1:52. Could've done with more actual train sounds throughout, I think.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks legal, funny you should say "more actual train sounds" I have a sneaky suspician brewing that there may be a "less actual train sound" comment coming from another member in the not to distant future!! lol

I can redo it with more train sounds added, as I have saved all the project files, will see what others say. I didnt want to overdo it though..

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
What a ride! Outside of London or the insulated scenes of country estates of the manor born and their environs in the late 18th C shown in Jane Austen movies, I never really knew what a British landscape looked like in the 21st Century. I loved the way you turned the train whistle into music and used it as the central theme for the composition. Once again your integration of sight and sound was masterful. For me, you have a knack for evoking the past in the present. The combination of what used to be a sound associated with wistful dreaming and longing to leave the slow paced monotony of the country for adventure and a more exciting life combined with the frenetic rhythm of modern life and its own treadmilll monotony was chilling. I agree with Neil, it'd be perfect for a SciFi movie. Don't forget our deal regarding the country estate jamming arrangements should Hollywood come a calling--or rather, can we amend it to include that circumstance?

Last edited by Starr Keys; 12/12/11 06:15 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Rossy, this is very good! I’ve liked the rhythm with those fast melodies. The combination between the music and the images is fantastic.

When you become a famous composer, I hope you remember the friends wink .

Congrats again, Rossy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wow thanks Starr Keys and Recaredo.
Starr Keys, The deal does not need amending because it matters not how I get a ruined mansion or castle in the country ( with massive fireplaces and an east wing) The "free house" offer stands, there will be a room of pianos with no locked lids, and you can all come and stay for as long as you want to!!

The only rules will be: (a.) no rules. (b.) taking it in turns to cook. (c.) ladies try to remember to leave the loo seat up for the men..(optional)
Recaredo, Of course I will remember the friends!! I never forget friends, ever!!!

You will all be so invited!!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Great work. I really felt like being on a train. Where is it in UK really? Well, I only know two areas really, London - Brighten or the train ride between Glasgow and Edinburgh. You must live up North, of course, in your body:) The cool music and beautiful scenery. I think this music really work for this scenery. You might have had to create different sounds for the Southern line - most likely you have to include a long stop for signal changes (something like that).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya folks, well here is Rossys admission! As a few of you have asked, I feel it only fair!

I put all of the music together first, including the train setting off and arriving at its destination.
This also included the two trains passing.

Then i went and "collected" videos to chop up and edit to fit, I did not shoot these myself, because as allready explained I live out in the sticks and the local line is only a single line, so no chance of trains passing!!! ( when I realised that I was a bit miffed, but onwards and upwards)

So., the train sets off ( In the music, somehwere in germany I believe from the announcers accent)

In the video footage, i dont know where it sets off from, but when it cuts to looking out of the window, you have just left MILAN in italy, and are on your way to london VIA the channel tunnel...

I suspected Casinitaly may recognise the scenery..

However, when it cuts to looking out of the drivers window you are in AUSTRIA!

When it pulls into the station at the end, I believe you are in the UK.....

It is difficult being a 21st century Hobo, as the technological revolution makes little sense, I was trying to express a bit of that in the music.

I live out in the sticks in Wales UK ( south west wales )

Last edited by Rostosky; 12/13/11 11:12 AM.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Great video, and music :-)

Although the title threw me a little....

Nevern station must be new, since I last lived in Pembs crazy

Rob
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ROB, AHA, well done indeed, brilliant, you are absolutely correct there is no station at Nevern !!!

You obviously know Nevern is totally in the middle of nowhere.....

And you have just unwrapped another layer, The piece is called 21st century Hobo ( Journey to Nevern) for this reason: It expresses a journey to a place where I composed a piano piece called :"Nevern:Pre gregorian dance, Ogham stone Celtic Cross"

I did that in the church at Nevern, whilst Mrs R wandered around collecting Sap from the "bleeding yew" a red resin from a "holy" tree.

We then spent the rest of the day observing the Ogham stone and celtic cross etc...

21st centuary Hobo,therfore also represents a spiritual journey to a pre gregorian dance that will be coming next, just as soon as I have recorded it.

21st century hobo also contains a few of the chords of the said pregregorian dance that is yet to come, it "hints" at it.....

We actually went on the motorbike, that you should be able to see in the picture through the stones at Pentre Ifan.... I rode it right up the and through the stones, didnt want anyone nicking it!!

here are a couple of pics to remind you of Nevern....
Thanks ROB!!

First one Mrs R in bulky bike leathers at Nevern next to celtic cross...

[Linked Image]

and second one is at pentre Ifan on the way to Nevern with my bike in the background...

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Well, I have to confess, the station wasn't immediately recognisable as Milan smile ...however the grey stone wall is of the type often found in the lower than road level railway lines.... and the lakes looked Italian.

I believe the end shot is in Germany someplace, I was trying to listen but it is hard to make out.

Your music really suited the video - you caught the energy, for sure.
Good for you! I would like to be able to get the music that is in my head out into the world so effectively!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
DB (on the train) stands for Deutsche Bahn (eg check http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en where you can see their logo). Definitely not UK.

The canal tunnel is run by Eurotunnel and their trains look different eg

[Linked Image]

These mountains are too high for the UK, right? I have never seen such mountains in the UK. They seem so high that I'm suspecting the alps (very south of Germany).

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ahem! When you are looking out of the train window, you are on the Milan to london, you may or may not change to go on the eurostar, i dont know.

when you are looking out of the front of the train, you are on an Austrian train.

When you see the train on the platform, both arriving and departing you are not seeing the same train, as the one you are looking out of...

You may spot that the one on the platform both arriving and departing is considerably shorter in length than the one you are looking out of...

This was made up by editing four seperate trains and two seperate journeys!!!

It could be any train and anywhere as far as the music is concerned. It can also be NO train, just the one you imagine when you shut your eyes and just listen to the soundtrack.

And the journey imagined can be your own... should be your own.

No mountain scenes came from the UK.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Krautrock!

The ICE train - closing shot - is a German intercity express.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Eglantine, as I consider Tangerine Dream experts at their craft, "krautrock" is a wonderfull compliment for my efforts!

I guess you may have "spotted" the initial station announcer had a German accent? That was my "nod" to Tangerine Dream.

More layers are being exposed!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Absolutely brilliant Rossy......

well worth all your hard work, and I think it's cool that it incorporates your's and Mrs.R's memories, PLUS including an introduction to your next compo, you really are on a roll!

A big congrats from me smile bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
I think the 'audio train' (announced at the beginning) is
"Berlin Ostbf via Berlin Hbf – Hannover Hbf – Bielefeld Hbf – Hamm (Westfalen) via Dortmund Hbf – Essen Hbf – Duisburg Hbf – Düsseldorf Hbf to Köln/Bonn Flughafen"
and it's come from Berlin, so it could be anywhere from Hannover to Dusseldorf.

That's an ICE train... as are the opening train and the closing train in the video.

Anyone would think I was a German train junky!

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
DB (on the train) stands for Deutsche Bahn (eg check http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en where you can see their logo). Definitely not UK.

The canal tunnel is run by Eurotunnel and their trains look different eg

[Linked Image]

These mountains are too high for the UK, right? I have never seen such mountains in the UK. They seem so high that I'm suspecting the alps (very south of Germany).

Those are nothing like the Eurostar rolling stock I've travelled on.
Those trains above are marked 'Eurotunnel'. That's not Channel Tunnel rolling stock.

This is what Chunnel trains look like:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eu...p;ved=0CJ0BELAE&biw=1416&bih=689

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Rossy, lots of thoughts going through my head right now. So many in fact that I'm going to break my reply down into separate categories.

Initial impression: My honest first impression after reading your description and watching the first few minutes (of the entire video) was that of joy. I was happy because I could tell that you put a lot of effort and time into this production and were happy to display your results. I was happy for you, this in turn just made me smile.

The video: Your use of dramtic landscape scenes along with thrilling high speed trains kept my interest and attention throughout the entire production. The 'techno' synthesized keyboard notes and simple melody went perfectly along with the change in dramatic scenery. The 'choo-choo' type sound that the notes and melody used were based upon was just perfect. It just worked well with the visual of a train speeding along and hearing the speedy sounding 'choo-choo' notes in the background. A+ on that idea.

My thoughts: I think everything about your production (presentation of visual and audio effects) was very well thought out and executed. It is obvious to me that you put a lot of time and effort into matching up the visuals along with compatible audio sounds. Excellent job.

My only 'concern' would be how far from a 'solo piano' performance this was.

Our AB forum is meant for non professional adult amateurs and beginers (of any conceivable level) to interact with each other regarding the topic of the piano. Does this mean 'solo piano' performances only?, mostly?, or anything that has any form of a piano in it? This has never been discussed and is not notated anywhere....which leads to my 'concern'.

'Concern' is probably a poor choice of words however as it is better described as an unanswered question I have. Better yet, I'll shortly post a new thread discussing this very topic as to have a better and clearer understanding for everyone.

That is a separate topic however and to keep this thread ON topic I will say once again excellent overall production.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for the pics, and extra info, Rostosky smile
They brought back memories of school outings which always seemed to include a visit to the 'bleeding tree'.
Looking forward to your next composition cool

Rob
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
My only 'concern' would be how far from a 'solo piano' performance this was.

Our AB forum is meant for non professional adult amateurs and beginers (of any conceivable level) to interact with each other regarding the topic of the piano. Does this mean 'solo piano' performances only?, mostly?, or anything that has any form of a piano in it?

[Linked Image]

Ferrets in Turtlenecks; thus it follows from this that your question is illogical.

(i.e. Rossy used a DP to compose it, therefore it has a place on the ABF.) smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks again folks...
I feel I must respond to the "solo piano" concern. I will split my reply to this into two catergories.

First catergorie: great classical composers of the past. would they have used all available technology to their advantage?
History says : Yes they would, just as soon as pianos were invented they used them, as soon as they had pedals, they wanted them... As soon as Horns had valves they wanted these new fangled trumpets..

Second catergorie: My DP.
My Dp has 500 "voices"
10 piano sounds, harpsichords, clavinets, strings , brass bass , drums etc etc..

Am I only allowed to use the "piano" sounds?

Software: (sorry third catergorie) I am using Pianotech as a VST plug in to abelton software, with abelton I can change that sound to anything..

Pianotech has a paid advertisment that helps support this site I believe...

And in conclusion, I have worked extremely hard to understand the music program, it was extremely difficult and time consuming to figure , and certainly it did not come any where as easy to me as playing the piano does..
It was a technological challenge to my non technological mind....

However, I really wanted to learn this , and am more than willing to pass on what I have learnt to others that want to record things like "just piano" or Piano and voice/s

Many folk have Dp's and I wanted to explore what could be got out of them with good software and the knowledge of how to use it.

I believe this opens up a marvellous whole new world of sound possibilities , I am an amatuer, and a beginer, and love the piano and keyboards. Hopefully I may get to help another with a DP realise the music that is in their head can be got out.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rostosky

First catergorie: great classical composers of the past. would they have used all available technology to their advantage?
History says : Yes they would, just as soon as pianos were invented they used them, as soon as they had pedals, they wanted them... As soon as Horns had valves they wanted these new fangled trumpets.

You forgot the cannons. Tchaikovsky used them in his 1812 Overature. smile

Last edited by Starr Keys; 12/14/11 02:58 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Indeed Starr Keys, not to mention the Avant gaurd john cage putting springs and nails inbetween the strings of a piano to make different textures...

With Rachmaninov its easy folk can just say "rach" and have no fear of miss-spelling... I noticed a distinct lack of mention on PW for Tchaikovsky, I put this down solely to one of two things:

(a) there is no abreviation like "Rach" for Tchaikovsky ( chai doesnt really work) and its hard to spell.
(b.) Cannons.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I could be wrong, but I don't think it was Tchaikovsky's idea to use the cannons. Though, the piece works much better with them than without them.

Last edited by polyphasicpianist; 12/14/11 03:25 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Are you suggesting the "restrained" use of trebuchets in my next composition?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
what I meant was this trebuchet is being used for Solo Piano.
One piano at once.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Rossy, I think you should do a piece centered on owls. Oh please, oh please? You already have some excellent video to start. I'd commission the piece, but I haven't the funds to be that much of a patron, so I'm reduced to begging.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Legal Beagle
Rossy, I think you should do a piece centered on owls. Oh please, oh please? You already have some excellent video to start. I'd commission the piece, but I haven't the funds to be that much of a patron, so I'm reduced to begging.

If you do decide to compose it just make sure it includes some heavy artillery. (Not directed at the Owls, of course)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
It's Okay legal, I can work for any "spare" change. ( absolutely no euros)
I have paypal. the beauty of paypal is that if you dont approve of the product , you can do a "chargeback" ( a legitamate legal move) and keep the product, saying it was broken or you didnt get it, or it was lame ( applies to donkeys and tapir's)

Say $50 as it would be my first commission, sort of a special rate for at least three weeks work?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder what a Rossy video production, using his owl footage, would be like?

*u*k it! wink

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PPP are you suggesting "the mig strike aircraft and the injured owl?"

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
I loved it Rossy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Why thanks AimeeO and so glad you are back albeit temporarilly!

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
This also reminded me, in a way, of all those Wim Wenders German road movies: Alice in the Cities etc.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
nearly missed that Eglantine, I had to go and look up Wim Wenders, thinking I hadnt heard of him, but Mrs R reminded me of Paris, Texas and then I remembered, Funnily enough he sits on a jury that looks at undiscovered filmakers works...
Thanks so much that is a great compliment, appreciated.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Indeed, Mrs R is correct: Paris, Texas... But before that he made a bunch of European 'road movies', and others that featured European trains (such as the original adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's Ripley's Game, as The American Friend, which had local German trains). There was always something magical about those continental 'chemins', whether they were of the asphalt variety or 'de fer' (railroads).

I lost most of my first year at uni to German and Polish and French film-makers of the 1970s-1980s. Miss-spent youth, eh?

Last edited by Eglantine; 12/20/11 12:47 PM.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah,, Ripleys game, yes I have seen that as well, John malkovich played an excellent lead.
It looks like I know the movies, just didnt know Wim wenders was behind them...
I think I have also seen "the talented Mr. Ripley"

I dont think it was a misspent youth Eglantine, to have the knowledge of some of these fantastic films is marvellous.. I wish I spoke as many languages and then I could watch some..
I hate subtitles , they make it difficult to watch, I would rather they be dubbed badly!

There are some amazing ghost/horror coming out of Japan, now theres a language!! The japanese horrors and Korean Horrors ( like platoon) can go on for hours before an alleged point happens,often with totally pointless hours of build up!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission