2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Curious, what do you guys do/what helps?

I know believing in yourself helps and knowing your stuff etc., which I do, but anything else?

I have a recital on Friday... half solo half with a violinist. We have 1.5 days to put it together, I'm a little nervous; it's not a small piece.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Slow practice. ha

But seriously folks.... grin ....there are lots of different kinds of things that could be said, but for you, the main thing I'd say is just remind yourself that you can play these pieces, and that you can play them well -- because you have been playing them well, over and over again.

Right?

If you haven't been, then do it -- and then it'll be true. smile

One other thing: Something I've done sometimes, and still usually do: Write myself a note the night before, and leave it someplace where I'll see it right when I get up:

"Remember, ENJOY!"

It's easy to forget that this is something we do because we love doing it.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I've been doing run-throughs every day, sometimes twice a day, of the first half... Hope that helps! I've performed the violin sonata several times, but just never played with this particular violinist!

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
....I've performed the violin sonata several times, but just never played with this particular violinist!

But you've rehearsed, right? grin
And it went OK, right? smile

(P.S. see edit of above post; I added stuff.)

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No we haven't...... yet...... She's been away for concerts. We'll have about a day and a half!

No we haven't...... yet...... She's been away for concerts. We'll have about a day and a half!

Well that's just insane. In that case I can't help you, except to say, if that's how it's been, there's no need to care at all about it. grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For me the best is being rehearsed but it's probably likely that most people listening cannot fill your shoes. Also I like to enjoy the moment because it is fleeting as is much of life.

rada

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Well that's just insane. In that case I can't help you, except to say, if that's how it's been, there's no need to care at all about it. grin

What do you mean? This wasn't my fault... my original violinist got injured and I didn't have the option of cancelling the recital. It so worked out that this was the best situation. The current violinist got delayed by a day, so we would've had about 3 days originally but, [censored] happens..

It's not insane, it can be done, I just need a way to stay calm.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rada
Also I like to enjoy the moment because it is fleeting as is much of life.

rada

That's extremely true.. something I frequently forget.

What do you mean? This wasn't my fault...

Of course it wasn't! You thought I was yelling at you or something? grin
No way.

....It's not insane, it can be done, I just need a way to stay calm.

Right. It's unfortunate and far from optimal, but it happens. But what I meant was that in such a situation, I think it's important to realize that the goals are scaled down. We're not shooting for the stars, but just trying to run through the piece, survive it and give a creditable performance, with 'something' of ourselves in it but not necessarily a whole lot. Anyway that's how I'd view it -- and I would hardly be nervous at all. Just play, and follow each other, as you would at a run-through. What makes me nervous is shooting for the stars.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ohhh hahaha, I see.. yes. That's true. Unfortunately it's adjudicated and there will be about 100 people there. But I think the person adjudicating knows the situation and hopefully understands!

Hahaha, "run the piece and survive it".. that's what usually happens with this particular piece. I'm actually starting to think this will be a really fun test!

...Hahaha, "run the piece and survive it".. that's what usually happens with this particular piece. I'm actually starting to think this will be a really fun test!

See, you're already most of the way there for not being nervous! ha

I once sight-read stuff for an audience of about a thousand, and I had no problem viewing it like how we're saying -- not expecting a whole lot, and having "fun" -- partly because it's ridiculous grin and partly because I figure heck, we're musicians, so let's just make music and the he11 with it. It was sort of a classical jam session at a big local concert hall. They used to have these community concerts where people could just show up and play. This thing was "Wall to Wall Schubert" -- a many-hour marathon where people just came, and the program was whatever. I was sitting next to a singer who wanted to do some Schubert Lieder and didn't have an accompanist, so I said heck, sure I can do them with you. So we just went up there and did it -- and it was fine, even though I missed a key change and played in G# minor instead of G major for about half a measure. ha
She just winked. smile

R
R

dope.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I know believing in yourself helps and knowing your stuff etc., which I do, but anything else?

I have a recital on Friday... half solo half with a violinist. We have 1.5 days to put it together, I'm a little nervous; it's not a small piece.

If I were not a little anxious before a performance, I'd stop performing.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I know this makes me sound like Mr. Zen, or a self-help mush head, but:

The maxims I heard over and over from my teachers and mentors when I was just starting out was "We always get the work that we need to get, " and "You'll get the work when you're ready for it"

Meaning that a lot of the things that fall into our laps like this are pretty much inevitable. And they wouldn't have happened if we weren't ready for it, or if we weren't ready to learn from the experience - even if it went badly.

I bet that maybe this isn't the first time this type of situation has come up? It certainly won't be the last.

Just judging by what little I gather about you from your presence on this forum, I wouldn't worry about this, if I were you.

Most of us performing folk live in a constant state of nervousness, depending on the season. We just accept it and not try to subdue it - 'cause IMO, that's when the trouble starts.

Piano instruction and performance
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Have you ever nervously played for a small audience, then after waiting a bit, get a second chance to play and find your are much calmer? Somehow, on the next go around you're not as nervous - maybe because you have already proved yourself or maybe because you flubbed the first time and want to prove you can really play well and you believe that things couldn't possibly go as badly as the first time.

What I do is pretend my first time on stage is really my second time. I mentally wave to the audience and think, "Hi, it's me again." Somehow, I'm much calmer.

I also picked up something worthwhile from an Etude magazine dated 1923. The writer said: You are nervous because you want people to think you are better than you really are." I think it has something to do with accepting who you are and realizing you can only be as good as you are at that moment. Self acceptance, I suppose.

Third is a picture from Westney's "The Perfect Wrong Note" that I've often posted here. Unfortunately, I do not have the image here at work. The first image shows the crushing critical energy of the audience pointing towards the bowed back of the pianist as he worries how they will judge him - bad idea. The second image shows the pianist sitting up straight and sending energy back to the audience - the idea is to share your love of the music - good idea. You create a positive connection with you, your music and the audience. They are not there to judge you, (I hope); they are there to enjoy themselves.

Best regards,

Deborah
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by gooddog
Have you ever nervously played for a small audience, then after waiting a bit, get a second chance to play and find your are much calmer? Somehow, on the next go around you're not as nervous - maybe because you have already proved yourself or maybe because you flubbed the first time and want to prove you can really play well and you believe that things couldn't possibly go as badly as the first time.

That happened to me recently. I've never really played the piano for people and so that makes me very nervous about it. So I decided that I'd do a small recital for friends and invited 4-5 of them over. I had an audition the next day. I flubbed so badly.. these were friends who had no idea about classical music, but I flubbed everything I played so badly. Towards the end, I asked to play the etude a second time and I played it better.

The audition next day went absolutely fine though. I played much better than I expected (and the outcome in turn was a positive one). I did not feel nervous because I knew I couldn't play worse than I did the previous night and that I would be content as long as I did better! :P

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Play in front of people more.

Eat a banana a bit before the concert.

Think of something else MORE stress inducing that's after the concert. That way, you won't be so worried about this one. (Okay, that might not work/be the best plan, but that's happened to me before!)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I read recently (here I think) that switching the focus from you being judged by the audience (perceived judgmental focus inward to you) to you giving the audience a gift (focus outward, giving a musical present to the audience) changes everything.

I have tried it, and it does help.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission