Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, anotherscott, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1709 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1805831 - 12/14/11 03:45 AM Kurzweil PC88: Fatar key assembly question
1976pianoman Offline

Loc: Northridge, CA
Hi,

I'm wondering if the TP 10 in the PC88 can be replaced with the TP 40? I presume the TP 40 is better? I've never played it.

I have a PC88 that I am expecting to have key trouble with sometime soon. I know what the life span is of the TP10 and this one is near the end.

Does Fatar even make the TP10 anymore? Can I still get it?

Finally what is the terminology for replacing only the hammer assembly below the keys. Is that the "key assembly" or does the "key assembly" include the keys as well?

Thank you.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1806324 - 12/14/11 09:41 PM Re: Kurzweil PC88: Fatar key assembly question [Re: 1976pianoman]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/contatti.asp

I would contact them, but I am not sure if they only sell bulk to manufacturers.

I had the action in my Fatar Studio-900 which I kept from 1997 to end of last year. It was very similar to a PC88 when I had it hooked up to my micropiano module.

It defintely felt different at the end, almost as if it was decaying and it felt louder. I enjoyed using it with my piano modules, but felt ready to get something all inclusive.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1806415 - 12/15/11 02:45 AM Re: Kurzweil PC88: Fatar key assembly question [Re: 1976pianoman]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Good luck getting in touch with Fatar. Might try calling Sweetwater instead.

I don't believe the Fatar TP-10 is available anymore. The original had lead in the hammers, so they became "illegal". Doesn't make a ton of sense to me since lead is still manufactured and sold for other purposes, but what can ya do. The lead was inside the hammers under the keys -- inaccessible during normal use, FWIW.

The K2500X/S has this same action. You really have to search for used or new-old stock to find replacements.

Kind of a rabbit trail, but...
I believe the K2600X/S uses the TP-10MDF action. There are some differences, one being the underside of the key. The "finger" arrangement (which pivots the hammer) is different. Also, I believe the lead was replaced with steel. The K2600X/S action should work, however, Fatar no longer makes this model action either, and the likes of Sweetwater and Kurzweil can't even get a replacement key for any older PC or K series board. Same case for older SP series pianos. Basically, unless you have a current model Kurzweil, you can't get action parts for it. I found a parted out K2600X and hoarded a set of keys, but lack hammers. No problems yet... We'll see. The PC88 and K2500 hammers were very weak, but my K2600 seems fine after about 12 years. Anyway, I'm rambling and somewhat off the subject.

To address your actual question, I don't think the TP-40 action would work. Mechanically, it would probably fit, but I have heard an account of someone dropping a TP-40 in to their K2600X, which as stated above, is designed for the TP-10MDF. The result was mismatched velocity readings between the black and white keys. The processor just wasn't designed to handle the differing signals the keyswitches were sending. I don't think there was a fix for this. Maybe you could pull the TP-40 sensors out and put in TP-10 sensors -- I don't know. Most Fatar keyswitches are the same (two long circuit boards), but I wouldn't say 'all', because I have only been inside a few versions of Fatar actions. There's also the fact that if you were to get a new action from Fatar by some miracle, it would cost several hundred dollars. Unless you are completely in love with your PC-88, it wouldn't make sense economically. I know how you feel though -- I will one day face the same dilemma with my beloved K2600X. I'll probably save for whatever Kurzweil's best workstation is at the time, but I will still hate parting with it. Especially if it's just the keys that are worn out and otherwise looks/works like new (as in its present state).

"Key assembly" or "Key bed" generally describes the entire assembly -- keys, hammers, sensors and all. Note that there is no "hammer assembly". They are all independent hammers which attach to the key frame (which is essentially the key bed) using a metal rod which passes through their fulcrums. It's kind of like a Rubics cube in that you can't just take one out [or all in one piece] and that they are not a system separate from the keys. Once they're installed, they're integrated. The whole system has to come apart piece-by-piece and then what you have is a pile of keys, a pile of hammers, a pile of tension springs, and then this long metal frame which they all attached to. If you order a "counterweight set" (good luck on that too smirk ) you will likely get a set of 88 counterweights, which are basically these plastic blocks with metal inside that are shaped kind of like Tennessee. They have felt on one side and a hole near one end -- really pretty simple. Heck you could probably have some milled out of aluminum. It'd change the feel (maybe for the better?), but they would last for-freakin-ever! Really the individual hammers and a thin metal rod is all that there is to the weighted hammer mechanism. No 'assembly' per se, as they become part of the final key assembly/key frame/key bed/whatchacallit.

Hope this helps. Sorry for all the over-descriptive writing. If you have any specific questions or descriptions, let me know!

As far as I know, the TP-40 IS better -- better feel and no reliability issues that I've heard of. Second-hand knowledge of course.

Edited by LesCharles73 (04/20/12 12:36 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77383 Members
42 Forums
160041 Topics
2350197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission