2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I'm working on Schumann's "Eintritt" and have a question regarding the fingering. I've found that I can, in most cases, divide the inner voices of the piece between both hands, which is most comfortable and effective for me, or put them all in the right and play just the bass line in the left, which seems a lot more uncomfortable but the way many on youtube do it.

I've attached and image to show what I mean:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/eintritt.png/

all of the notes within the red lines are played in the left hand and everything above in the right. Am I cheating myself from developing proper technique or would this fingering be OK?

Last edited by paquijote; 12/14/11 11:19 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I believe that it's much easier to get the proper balance of the two outer voices along with keeping the internal accompaniment notes softer using the fingering as the original scoring suggests.

Splitting the accompaniment between the two hands doesn't make musical sense for me. I believe that it is harder to keep the accompaniment notes absolutely together and balanced when you split them between the two hands.

For me I would never contemplate doing that. I wouldn't say that it won't work, but I feel that the idea is somewhat misguided.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I would use the original fingering too.
Why do you feel uncomfortable with it? Are your hands too small or do your fingers feel weak? I have actually small hands too, but I just tried and I don't have a problem with it.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
OP Offline
P
Well, in measure 4 beat 3, for example, I find it difficult to sustain the D with my pinky while playing the D and F accompaniment notes in the right hand. It seems like a real stretch and I have difficulty with the line in general. My hands are not particularly small, either :S but I have not been playing piano very long, so perhaps I just don't have the strength in my hand/fingers yet? What would you all suggest to help with this? To what extent should I perhaps use the sustain pedal to help?

This edition does not have fingering within the notation, which makes it a bit more difficult as well to figure the most effective way to play it.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
In measure 4 beat 3: if you are playing D with the fifth finger and F and D with second finger and thumb, I find it hard to imagine that it "seems like a real stretch;" it's almost a normal hand position for someone whose hands are "not particularly small." It's not a question of strength and shouldn't even be one of flexibility; I'm having difficulty imagining why this is a problem.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you have problems sustaining a note while playing other notes, there are some exercises to strengthen your fingers. The best but probably most difficult ones are in Dohnanyi's Essential Finger Exercises, but Hanon's The Virtuoso Pianist and Brahms's 51 Exercises also have some nice ones. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
P
Originally Posted by paquijote
This edition does not have fingering within the notation, which makes it a bit more difficult as well to figure the most effective way to play it.

I don't see any point to dividing the middle voice between the hands. The fingering BruceD mentioned for measure 4 would work for virtually everyone - because it's assumed that virtually everyone can reach an octave with 1 and 5.

Also, many (if not most) can reach an octave with 1 and 4. I would play the octave on Middle C and the C above with 1 and 4, because it's most suited to articulating the slur in the upper voice.

[Linked Image]

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
If you have problems sustaining a note while playing other notes, there are some exercises to strengthen your fingers. The best but probably most difficult ones are in Dohnanyi's Essential Finger Exercises, but Hanon's The Virtuoso Pianist and Brahms's 51 Exercises also have some nice ones. smile

I'll definitely check those out! Yes, it isn't so much that it is a big stretch (I can stretch a 10th with 1 and 4 xD) but rather sustaining the D while playing the other notes; I haven't been playing very long so this is one of the first pieces where I have to do this, I'm just not used to it yet I suppose. Thanks for you help!

P
P
Originally Posted by paquijote
I'll definitely check those out! Yes, it isn't so much that it is a big stretch (I can stretch a 10th with 1 and 4 xD) but rather sustaining the D while playing the other notes; I haven't been playing very long so this is one of the first pieces where I have to do this, I'm just not used to it yet I suppose. Thanks for you help!

With a hand span like that, then the idea of dividing the inner voice is definitely a bad approach. Polyphony - where you'll need to hold one or more notes while playing other notes with other fingers in the same hand - is really common in piano music. This is a straightforward example of it, and I recommend you use it as a technical challenge to get used to it.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission