Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1808392 - 12/18/11 11:02 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: voxpops]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: voxpops
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
I have an old soft case for a Casio Privia so I presume that will be large enough for the NP 88.

I think you'll find that the Nord is slightly too deep for the Privia case. I use the Privia case for both the FP-4 and the Numa Piano, but IIRC I used a Roadrunner case for the NP.

Which Roadrunner case did you get?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1808393 - 12/18/11 11:05 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: voxpops]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

One thing to remember about the NP88 is that, even though it's still a DP, it's the only truly upgradeable piano from any of the major manufacturers. With luck, and goodwill from Nord, it should still be going strong years from now. And you should never get bored with it.

Is the design of the keyboard 'samples' based only or is there some modeling in existence already like for EP's?

#1808400 - 12/18/11 11:26 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

James and voxpops, thanks for trying to shed light on the "long release". I presume it's intended to correct what is an abnormal behavior, and not adding a feature. right?

#1808407 - 12/18/11 11:32 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I have an old soft case for a Casio Privia so I presume that will be large enough for the NP 88.

I think you'll find that the Nord is slightly too deep for the Privia case. I use the Privia case for both the FP-4 and the Numa Piano, but IIRC I used a Roadrunner case for the NP.

Which Roadrunner case did you get?

I'm not sure of the model number, but I already had the RR keyboard porter (with wheels), and so used that. It's OK, except for the handle position, which tends to allow the case to run away from you.

#1808410 - 12/18/11 11:34 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One thing to remember about the NP88 is that, even though it's still a DP, it's the only truly upgradeable piano from any of the major manufacturers. With luck, and goodwill from Nord, it should still be going strong years from now. And you should never get bored with it.

Is the design of the keyboard 'samples' based only or is there some modeling in existence already like for EP's?

I really don't know, but suspect that it's mainly samples.

#1808412 - 12/18/11 11:38 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I already have the case with wheels too but it added a good 15 lbs to the weight of the FP7F. At this lighter weight of the NP, it may be easier to have a lighter hand carried case like the Casio one.

I guess there's no immediate rush since I still have the wheely version. It just seems like the other cases may be too deep and the DP will shake around inside.

#1808416 - 12/18/11 11:42 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

James and voxpops, thanks for trying to shed light on the "long release". I presume it's intended to correct what is an abnormal behavior, and not adding a feature. right?

That's my take on it. It's a very odd "feature" to add wink

#1808420 - 12/18/11 11:47 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm guessing here but on a real piano, gradual key release so that the damper is just in partial contact with the string causes a change in color on the sound and a soft landing on the cutoff of the note. Perhaps that's missing originally? I'm never actually tried to test that on a DP including the Roland.

If this is it, it would apply to slow slow finger legato then. Probably inconsequential to uptempo jazz but might affect ballads.

#1810774 - 12/22/11 06:26 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Emeritus Offline

Loc: Maine
jazzwee, the UPS Santa should have come down your chimney by now. So...

#1810864 - 12/22/11 09:49 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

They misplaced it!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for a call to pick it up as soon as they find it. Maybe I'm on the bad list...

The ups truck already came and went with supposed location undetermined.

#1810882 - 12/22/11 11:00 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
What! What does that mean!

All the best with getting it back to where it belongs...YOU!

#1810918 - 12/23/11 12:48 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I got an "Exception" message from UPS that it was "late" arriving at facility and so it was rescheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'm not around tomorrow. So I called up UPS and we've been tracking it all day. They said there are so many packages right now it's like a needle in a haystack.

When the delivery truck came, he said it could be on the loading dock since his truck was full and he couldn't fit it. So I said hold it at the UPS facility and I will pick it up.

They said sure. Except they called me back again and said they haven't found it yet. GRRRR. If I miss this shipment, then with the holidays, I'm not going to see it till Dec 27. There goes my Christmas present in Christmas Red.

Anyway, there's still a chance I might see it tomorrow. Or maybe they can hold it for pickup by tomorrow night.

So frustrating...

#1810930 - 12/23/11 01:03 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I got an "Exception" message from UPS that it was "late" arriving at facility and so it was rescheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'm not around tomorrow. So I called up UPS and we've been tracking it all day. They said there are so many packages right now it's like a needle in a haystack.

When the delivery truck came, he said it could be on the loading dock since his truck was full and he couldn't fit it. So I said hold it at the UPS facility and I will pick it up.

They said sure. Except they called me back again and said they haven't found it yet. GRRRR. If I miss this shipment, then with the holidays, I'm not going to see it till Dec 27. There goes my Christmas present in Christmas Red.

Anyway, there's still a chance I might see it tomorrow. Or maybe they can hold it for pickup by tomorrow night.

So frustrating...

They often give you the run around when they don't want to admit that they aren't sending parcels as quickly as they should. Sometimes you pay for priority shipping when it's actually being sent on a regular truck with all the other cheaper sent parcels.

I don't buy it when a shipping company says they aren't sure where a parcel is. It's all logged and they know where it is at all times. every time it changes location/vehicle it gets logged to its new position. That's the only way they can get any parcel to go anywhere. It's a very efficient system actually, but there is some deception involved. The tracking programs available to the public are not the same ones that they use internally. They lack a lot of detail so they can fudge the dates and times a bit. The reality is they try to limit the number to truck runs they do and put as much as they can on each one. Sometimes you are lucky and your priority parcel gets on the next truck leaving - when that happens your perception as a customer is that the service was very good value and that your parcel was a high priority. If you are unlucky and your parcel missed that truck and ends up on the next one, it can be delayed and then you end up wondering why the delivery time-frame doesn't seem to be holding up. That's when they start giving you vague information in the hope that they can distract you long enough for the parcel to arrive in the meantime. It really is luck of the draw a lot of the time, unless you pay megabucks for absolute guaranteed delivery times. The good news is that most parcels eventually get there, and undamaged. Your's will turn up soon enough. Hopefully in time for Christmas!

#1810937 - 12/23/11 01:46 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

ando, I hope they're not lying to me when the lady I talked to 3 times today said she personally searched for the package and couldn't find it. Their volume is extraordinarily high, she said, and the stacks are big. She couldn't find a keyboard shaped box.

The other possibility, she says, is that it went out on the wrong truck, in which case it will be sorted out tonight.

#1811548 - 12/24/11 12:06 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

LOVE IT! Thanks Santa!

Worst case scenario as always. One day late and at NIGHT. That's when the keyboard arrived. So quickly plugged it in and just gave it a play.

WOW. This has the sound I remember that has so much body. The piano sounds like you're playing a horn. Just played around with Grand Lady D which is loaded. This thing is just perfect for jazz.

The weight of the keys is great. Heavier than the FP7F so I felt more in control. Reminds me of the Casio Privia weight although it doesn't feel the same. And as hard as I hit on it, nothing metallic comes out. I may actually set it for a lighter touch at a gig, which is unusual for me since I'm used to the heavy weight on my grand. I surprised at the comments wanting more hard touch.

As I was playing this, I was thinking to myself. Did my playing improve? My tone and articulation just sounds so much better.

Now I had expected the board to be lighter. But I guess 36 lbs is still substantial. Not something I'd want to lug around in my arm.

Next thing to do is learn all about the OS and downloading samples etc. Maybe read the manual. I never do that. smile

My wife was a little shocked at the red color. "Really? You got a red keyboard? uh...OK".

#1811553 - 12/24/11 12:23 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So glad it arrived, and is not damaged. Not really worst case, eh?

Sounds like you made the right decision! Those gut feelings are pretty reliable, usually.

#1811557 - 12/24/11 12:29 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks voxpops.

UPS called me early in the morning -- "your package will be delivered before noon". Yeah right. At noon: well, I had to leave today and so I left my son at home while the rest of us went somewhere. Then I get back and it's still not here. I left again and and got back right before dinner. I thought I had to hold up going to eat just wait for this thing. Whew.

But I guess I need to be understanding. The truck driver says he had 800 items on his truck. The last delivery day before Christmas. So that must be close to that many number of stops. Wow.

So anybody want an FP7F?

#1812116 - 12/25/11 03:58 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Siriosys Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Congrats on your NP purchase and what a fantastic Xmas present!

I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum for promoting other ones, however, there is a dedicated Nord User Forum (www.norduserforum.com) which has some equally talented members as there are here and in fact, some of the members here, are members there......... myself included. There, you should find some great tips on updating, downloading sounds etc etc, however, it's all pretty easy stuff. I would certainly recommend you check the OS version of your instrument and ensure you're at the latest level.

Go grab that Bosie sample in XL format and upload and see how that grabs you. It's now my mainstay piano and I couldn't be happier. Although I'm using a Nord Stage 2, the sounds are identical and the long-release feature helps add so much realism with legato pieces.

#1812126 - 12/25/11 05:20 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the welcome Siriosys! I have a lot to learn here. I have downloaded all the sounds and OS update. I left to go to a party while it was downloading the bank to the Nord and I came back many hours later and it didn't take.

So here it is stuck again saying "Preparing Bank Download". Something got messed up.

I think maybe I should update the OS first.

Just from playing it yesterday and a little today, I feel really connected to this machine. This is such a good decision for what I do.

I still have the FP7F on the upper stand and an A/B test shows that thinness that bothers me. It's so obvious side by side.

Anyway, I hope I get it running again without too much trouble.

#1812240 - 12/25/11 02:33 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Darn. Having such a difficult time loading the piano samples. Every time I leave my computer, it stops. And the only way to get it started again is to reboot the computer.

Fortunately, I loaded the Grands (which is mostly what I use) so maybe I'll take a break from this.

Got 1.44 OS loaded (came with 1.2). And my two favorite ones are the Grand Lady D and the Bose Imperial. I think with these two I'm functional.

#1812260 - 12/25/11 03:13 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
If you're having problems, contact this guy. He gets back to you pretty fast.

Pablo Mastodon
Nord Technical Support USA/Canada
(800) 994-4984 x3030
(813) 644-8480 (direct line)
Pablo.Mastodon@AmericanMusicAndSound.com

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#1812304 - 12/25/11 04:46 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Darn. Having such a difficult time loading the piano samples. Every time I leave my computer, it stops. And the only way to get it started again is to reboot the computer.

Fortunately, I loaded the Grands (which is mostly what I use) so maybe I'll take a break from this.

Got 1.44 OS loaded (came with 1.2). And my two favorite ones are the Grand Lady D and the Bose Imperial. I think with these two I'm functional.

jazzwee, sorry to hear that you're having some issues transferring sounds to your Nord. As you're no doubt aware by now, it can take some time to transfer the larger instruments, so I'm wondering if your screensaver, virus checker, or any other background applications are kicking-in and disrupting the transfer process? If possible, try to disable or close these additional tasks before starting the Nord software manager.

Also, are you using a Mac or PC? I have a small netbook running Mac OS X which I use almost exclusively for uploading samples to my Electro 3. Fortunately, I've never had any problems with the computer locking-up during transfers, I'm 'only' ever sending the 'L'-sized sounds, as the largest 'XL'-size do not fit within the Electro's memory.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1812317 - 12/25/11 05:19 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

James, I'm using Windows 7. Seems to be some intermittent USB problem and yes, it is possible that some CPU intensive task is affecting it as I have not turned anything off on the computer.

Is there a way to incrementally add a sample instead of loading the whole bank at once? Now that I have the Grands in there, I don't want to restart again from the beginning.

I'm not even close to filling up the memory. I should have 73mb free. But it just keeps stopping at some random point.

Dave - I didn't want to call anyone for support on Christmas day so I'm trying to figure out for the moment. Otherwise, that's great information. Thanks.

#1812323 - 12/25/11 05:32 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

Is there a way to incrementally add a sample instead of loading the whole bank at once? Now that I have the Grands in there, I don't want to restart again from the beginning.

Are you using the "Nord Sound Manager v5.30 " ?

It was easy once I did that..otherwise, being the total computer idiot I am, I never would have been able to figure it out..

I'm on a 2.5 year old iMac with the older OS-X 10.5.8. I just went into the "sound manager" and individually deleted all the upright samples and grands to free up memory space and then loaded in the XLR samples of the Bosie and Yamaha Bright Grand. It took awhile for those to load -probably 20-30 minutes for each one, but it went very smoothly.

'Those two are all I need. The Bosie for more solo or ballad stuff and the Bright for cutting through in the group.

In any case give Pablo a shout tomorrow if you're still having problems.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#1812326 - 12/25/11 05:43 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Before I started, I loaded the newest Clavia drivers for USB and the latest Sound Manager.

Initially, I tried to replace the entire bank before I changed the OS. AND THEN IT STOPPED. So then the keyboard had no sounds. I saw there was an old bug with this.

I tried updating the OS. It kept "losing connection" with the NP. After multiple NP restarts, it finally took and fortunately here there was no reboot of the computer which takes so long.

Then, after some many reboots later, I finally got the download started on the NP. I thought great, let me just leave it alone. I left it overnight and apparently it stopped at whatever I saw last that night.

My bank selection - I removed all the uprights, clavinets, harpsi. I just need EP and Grand. So looks like I can probably add one more Grand to the list.

Anyway, now that I have at least the grands loaded, this keyboard is great. I sound so different on this. Like I have more control over the character and dynamics in my solos. It's just so perfect for jazz! And that strong sustain on the tone is so forgiving compared to the FP7F.

#1812352 - 12/25/11 07:51 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Figured out a workaround! Downloading entire bank is very buggy. Takes very long to do anything (20 minutes per sample). And then it always stops so I have to start again.

But downloading individual samples seem to work fast like 3 minutes apiece. I've already loaded 2 in a few minutes.

Wasted the last 2 hours on repeated rebooting.

#1812354 - 12/25/11 08:00 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

jazzwee, what do you mean by 'downloading and entire bank'?

Up until now, how were you transferring the sounds if not dragging them onto the Nord Sound Manager individually?

Cheers,
James
x

#1812446 - 12/26/11 02:45 AM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

James, I really didn't know what to do and then I saw the option Bank Upload/Download so that's all I used. I put all the sounds that was on the NP onto a folder. I replaced it with newer ones I downloaded from Nord Samples. Then I did a bank "download". This means I had to replace 500mb or so each time. Chances of timeout 99.99%.

I think there was a bug in the Sound Manager (new version).

I only figured out today that I could load samples individually. But I spoke too fast earlier. After 5 tries on the Bosie sample, it kept stopping so I gave up. Shorter samples didn't have an opportunity to timeout so they were fine. On the Bosie, I would get timeouts as far as 97%! What a waste of time.

I then loaded the older Sound manager (5.28) that was on the DVD, and it loaded the Bosie with no timeout and no reboot. So my opinion is that the new version (was it 5.8?) of Sound Manager is not ready for prime time.

I now have only the samples I need and I still have over 200MB available for something. I'm fully functional now with all the latest stuff.

I will probably email the support guy to let them know of my problems with the latest Sound Manager. I also turned on "Long Release", though I still have no idea what the difference is smile . Everything is sounding good.

I'm developing a preference for the Grand Lady D 5.3 over the Bosie. But I have both loaded and one C7.

I'll probably record something shortly here and give it an official whirl.

I'm officially a Nord convert!

#1812707 - 12/26/11 03:48 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to club red! I love my Nord instruments. Still using them all the time. Starting a new jazz trio in January and gonna hit the music performance career hard this year and I'm totally confident and totally equipped with my Nord Piano for all my piano work, both in and out of the studio. Like you said, if you've got a real piano, don't worry about loss of technique playing the Nord. I practice almost exclusively on my AvantGrand and do the gigging on the NP88. I purchased the Nord Gig Bags for both of my Nords and they are NICE. Well worth it. Built first class and attention to detail is second to none. I expect that though coming from a company like Nord. smile

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1812738 - 12/26/11 04:54 PM Re: Pulled the Trigger on a Nord Piano 88 [Re: jazzwee]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Well said Zachary!

BTW, long time no see...good to hear you're progressing with your playing.

James
x

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
09/22/14 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
09/22/14 05:39 PM
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
09/22/14 04:56 PM
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, AEMontoya, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1558 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157696 Topics
2316310 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission