Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1808959 - 12/20/11 12:00 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Stanny]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Stanny
I anyone teaching this week? Our public schools run until Wednesday, but everyone is coming in unprepared (if they come at all!)

Yes, I teach this week Monday - Friday. Next week I teach M/T/Th only. Every school district has its own "off" day, so some of my students are in school until the 23rd [gasp!].

We just had our Christmas recital. Nobody bothered to practice, and several people cancelled the day before the recital. I may never do another Christmas recital, ever. It doesn't motivate my students, and the older kids have a billion school projects to do and essays to write--nobody is giving piano a hoot at this time of the year.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1808964 - 12/20/11 12:10 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I'm teaching this week through Thursday.

#1809395 - 12/20/11 04:22 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: AZNpiano]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
We just had our Christmas recital. Nobody bothered to practice, and several people cancelled the day before the recital. I may never do another Christmas recital, ever. It doesn't motivate my students, and the older kids have a billion school projects to do and essays to write--nobody is giving piano a hoot at this time of the year.[/quote]

You too? I came home from my annual group performance class and told my husband I was not having any more. Out of 30 students maybe 3 performed well, maybe another 3 or 4 OK, the rest were awful. Did anyone practice? No wonder they are nervous. I saw one high school girls hands shaking. She was terrible. Another primer student was so shy she was almost sick, but did she ever consider practicing? Sooooo disappointing and embarassing to have such terrible performances. I'm considering theory work sessions next year instead of performance.

#1809427 - 12/20/11 05:00 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Nikolas]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria

#1809435 - 12/20/11 05:04 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have my Christmas recital (Party) early in the month before everyone's projects are due. It seems to make for less conflicts as well.

Today I have a lesson with a student who's piano is covered with plastic this week because of home repairs, so he couldn't practice. But he didn't do a lick of theory either, so I have him doing it right now.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1809439 - 12/20/11 05:07 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Yes indeed, it was money received alright. I don't usually receive tips but, I do get them occasionally. It is very sweet of people to go above and beyond even though they know it is not expected. smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1809759 - 12/21/11 02:16 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Joyce_dup1]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Joyce_dup1
You too? I came home from my annual group performance class and told my husband I was not having any more. Out of 30 students maybe 3 performed well, maybe another 3 or 4 OK, the rest were awful. Did anyone practice? No wonder they are nervous. I saw one high school girls hands shaking. She was terrible. Another primer student was so shy she was almost sick, but did she ever consider practicing? Sooooo disappointing and embarassing to have such terrible performances. I'm considering theory work sessions next year instead of performance.

I think I'm going to have my studio recitals two weeks after the CM test, so that I get the comments from the evaluators and implement them prior to the recital--to make the pieces more perfect than they were at the exam.

Or I can just make recitals optional for the busy students in high school.

#1809850 - 12/21/11 09:30 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
After the first year or two of hosting a December recital, I decided not to do that ever again. Too much going on in December. It's too stressful for me, and likely to be less successful.

October works well for my studio, but this is in part due to my teaching year round.

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1810442 - 12/22/11 07:01 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One more lesson this morning and I'm DONE FOR THE YEAR!!!

#1810472 - 12/22/11 08:31 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Finished teaching yesternight for 2011... Now I do hope to get an extra lesson on Saturday (In fact I know I will... but anyhow), and I'm still working quite a lot to finish off other gigs, but lessons are almost over...

and it actually feels fine... :-/

#1810516 - 12/22/11 10:07 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
After the first year or two of hosting a December recital, I decided not to do that ever again. Too much going on in December. It's too stressful for me, and likely to be less successful.

October works well for my studio, but this is in part due to my teaching year round.

I get asked by parents all the time about Christmas recitals. While I'm glad that they're interested - and sometimes their kids seem truly interested, it seems that every attempt to actually put one together is thwarted by everyone's wacky schedule.

I think that Stanny has the right idea.

This is not keeping me from thinking about joining forces with another studio or 2, and putting together programs for local nursing homes next Christmas season. I figure that we can get enough students to participate this way.

#1810769 - 12/22/11 06:04 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I ended up getting my refrigerator cleaned out without doing the work myself! smile My 14 year old son and his friend cleaned it. I picked up pizza, and let them rent a movie and get snacks. Good use of a rainy day off, and good for them to have a break from screen time.

It took two 14 year olds just 30 minutes. Good clearance! Yipee!!

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1810775 - 12/22/11 06:27 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

It took two 14 year olds just 30 minutes.

Holy cow! Do you have grass growing in there or something?

#1810784 - 12/22/11 06:34 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I ended up getting my refrigerator cleaned out without doing the work myself! smile My 14 year old son and his friend cleaned it. I picked up pizza, and let them rent a movie and get snacks. Good use of a rainy day off, and good for them to have a break from screen time.

It took two 14 year olds just 30 minutes. Good clearance! Yipee!!

Was there meat-cake? laugh

(George Carlin talked about it when things were so old you couldn't tell whether it was meat or cake!!!)

#1811144 - 12/23/11 12:00 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: AZNpiano]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
It took two 14 year olds just 30 minutes.

Holy cow! Do you have grass growing in there or something?

smirk

3 containers did seem to have something growing in them. But it wasn't grass.

That was my only job--executive decisions about whether something should be discarded.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1811164 - 12/23/11 12:16 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Gerard12]
trublues Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Gerard12
This is not keeping me from thinking about joining forces with another studio or 2, and putting together programs for local nursing homes next Christmas season. I figure that we can get enough students to participate this way.

A group of us have done nursing home recitals and they have worked well for us. . Whoever wants to play can play so only the ones who have time and are motivated will be there. It's a great way to be a blessing to others, too. The focus becomes more about who we're playing for and offering a musical gift to others and less on "self".

#1812160 - 12/25/11 10:12 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Tavner Offline

Loc: San Diego
I hosted my 2nd Christmas student recital at my home last Sunday. I was only able to get 8 students to perform because most of the others were already leaving town for their Christmas break.

Most of the students performed up to my expectations. I plan to host an end-of-school year recital in late May or June for the students who didn't come to the Christmas recital.

I found the recital to be of as much value for the parents as for the students. Families were able to meet each other. Also, I played a couple of pieces in order to "prove" my competence as a pianist to the parents!

I hope the recital will motivate some of the students to practice harder. Let's wait and see in January!

#1812215 - 12/25/11 01:39 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like the idea of a Nursing Home recital!

#1812220 - 12/25/11 01:48 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...A new student gave me an unwrapped Coach box. Inside was a Coach coin purse with a price tag attached (had been marked down to $69). It's a silver colored leather with a cloth lining. The gift paper was extra crinkled which made me certain this is a re-gift...."

There's an old Russian saying that goes, "If you want money, buy a new purse." In other words, if you want something in your life, make a place for it.

Sounds almost like your new purse and Jerry's hundred-dollar tip met at the mall. Nice presents for both of you.

#1812278 - 12/25/11 03:56 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Jeff Clef]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

There's an old Russian saying that goes, "If you want money, buy a new purse." In other words, if you want something in your life, make a place for it.

Sounds almost like your new purse and Jerry's hundred-dollar tip met at the mall. Nice presents for both of you.

Thanks for the Russian saying. I'll think of it as I use this coin purse. I'm chuckling over the purse and tip almost meeting at the mall. Not sure what it means, but still sounds funny. smile

When I get back home I intend to send a thank you note to the family that gave me the coin purse.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1812509 - 12/26/11 09:00 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Happy Boxing Day!

I woke up with my usual "Ugh, it's Monday", then immediately remembered that I'm not teaching one single lesson this week...a whole week of vacation time! Yippee!

#1812747 - 12/26/11 05:15 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I woke up thinking, "I'm back to teaching, YES!!!"

I do NOT like "time off"...

#1812807 - 12/26/11 07:30 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You don't???

I don't think any of my students would come the week between Christmas and New Year's anyway, but I definitely need the mental break!

#1812837 - 12/26/11 08:24 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
My teacher is teaching this week, so I assume she has some students! I, alas, am away with no piano. Maybe I can convince everyone in my family to buy a piano so I can play it when I visit them, LOL.

#1812958 - 12/27/11 12:57 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Stanny]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stanny
You don't???

I don't think any of my students would come the week between Christmas and New Year's anyway, but I definitely need the mental break!

First, I don't like this time of year. For me it is a reminder of how many people I have "lost" to time and death. And things stop. Nothing on TV, a small thing, then people I normally talk to are gone. And something like this forum will be dead until sometime in January.

But mostly I thrive when I am with people, but not in a "social" way.

My schedule today was blocked, no gaps, no holes, and students came in with very positive moods. smile

#1812959 - 12/27/11 12:58 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: PianoStudent88]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
My teacher is teaching this week, so I assume she has some students! I, alas, am away with no piano. Maybe I can convince everyone in my family to buy a piano so I can play it when I visit them, LOL.

Or travel with a DP. smile

#1814339 - 12/29/11 10:18 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Speaking of a DP reminds me of the 3 day visit with family. The sister who hosted our gathering has an old DP with 77 unweighted keys and a pedal attached by a cord.

I had my Christmas repertoire ready so I played the DP. To keep that pitiful excuse for a pedal from moving away from me, I used my left foot to keep it from moving to the left, and positioned it against the wall in front to keep it from moving forward.

I kept recalling a scene from "A Tuna Christmas" in which a young woman (played by a slim man wearing sweat pants with padding to give a very wide bottom) tells her mother (played by a large man) in an uppity manner with a Southern accent "I am not going to waste my artistic talent on that pathetic little tree" (refusing to help decorate the tree for Christmas). laugh

Instead of seeing it as wasting my talent on a pathetic little keyboard, I humbled myself and played it anyway. I changed the voice to vibraphone and made the most of it. It was better than having no keyboard or piano at all.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (12/29/11 10:19 AM)

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1815029 - 12/30/11 09:02 AM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
My 17 yr. old girl needs some conversation and 'therapy'. I suggested she just drop by sometime so we could talk, not during lesson time.

The struggles and passions of the young.. imagine a girl with a horse, considerable talent, 4 young handicapped adopted brothers, a new boyfriend, a loving family, a new farm and house they are building, the two bedroom house they will move into during transition period an uncertain future with many choices........

Poor sweetie.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1815993 - 12/31/11 03:43 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Gary D.]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary D.

First, I don't like this time of year. For me it is a reminder of how many people I have "lost" to time and death.

Gary, I'm sorry you've "lost" so many loved ones. Your post has weighed on my mind lately. I'm startled enough to realize I am middle aged. And how depressing to think of losing one family member after another over the years...especially after 65.

How do you have something to look forward to in old age? I guess you try to make connections with the younger family members. And try new things. Keep trying new things, exploring new music etc.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (12/31/11 04:39 PM)

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1816031 - 12/31/11 04:38 PM Re: just making conversation [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This evening I plan to lighten up my mood by watching "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and having snacks.

Hope you all have a great new year's eve!

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (Abby Pianoman, alfstan, AmateurBob, ajames, 41 invisible), 1439 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156185 Topics
2293552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
9 minutes 37 seconds ago
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
28 minutes 39 seconds ago
PianoDiscs and Synthesia
by pianistfromSG
46 minutes 0 seconds ago
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
46 minutes 21 seconds ago
Has any franchised their studio?
by Tommy13V
48 minutes 55 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission