Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1809216 - 12/20/11 12:15 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: stores]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: stores
. . . . None of them have been more of an outstanding pianist/musician as a result of their AP (which cannot, by the way, be taught/learned)...

+1

What musicians and composers "should" be learning, studying and practising is RP.
It's a waste of time and energy to try to achieve AP.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1809343 - 12/20/11 03:26 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: currawong]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: currawong
Originally Posted By: rob.art
I agree, not all people will be able to re-learn but if you tone dead you shouldn't be seeking carrier in music anyway smile
Huh? You're saying people who don't have absolute pitch are "tone dead"? (or "tone deaf", if that's what you meant) Sounds like you don't know much about relative pitch.

I agree. But anyway, I don't suppose many people have a carrier in music.

#1809432 - 12/20/11 05:03 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Hey, another perfect pitch war! This time, let's get it settled once and or all eh?
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

#1809500 - 12/20/11 06:28 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: rob.art]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: rob.art
Originally Posted By: stores
(which cannot, by the way, be taught/learned...argue with me on this point all you like, but you'll be wrong).

if there is something you cannot learn assuming that everybody can't as well is silly and kinda arrogant.

I didn't say that IIIII couldn't learn it (which I can't) did I? Perhaps reading the entire post and digesting what you've read first will help prepare a better response next time.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1809518 - 12/20/11 06:58 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: cinstance]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cinstance
Originally Posted By: liszt85

My very modestly qualified first teacher (he didn't go to college for piano) taught me the differences between those chords when I was about 9 and I could identify them all by ear. Neither of us had AP.

As for tricks, all I remember him getting me to do was listen to these different chords for hours, trying to focus on the different qualities. As simple as that, no tricks. Just some decent amount of hard work. To learn this, he had me sit in a cabin with a keyboard, 2-3 hrs per day, for a couple of months (it was not just these chords). So there's your trick.

Didn't you just prove by yourself it is an advantage for AP to learn those cords.

My son seems never need to memorize a score. The score just comes to his memory. His teacher told me it is because of his AP. I do not know if there is any truth in it, but his teacher does have AP too, and was speaking from her own experience.

How exactly did I prove that? I thought the AP possessor in this thread found these chords "indistinguishable" whereas almost everybody else here (who do not possess AP) did just fine distinguishing between those chords.

Edited by liszt85 (12/20/11 06:59 PM)
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1809530 - 12/20/11 07:19 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: AZNpiano]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Whoever wrote that doesn't really understand music, or did not major in music. Are you kidding? AP is extremely helpful. It helps with dictation, interval and chord recognition, and memory! If you have AP, once you memorize a progression of sounds/notes, your fingers actually move toward those keys naturally. You can also start playing a familiar piece/tune in the correct key without the score.

I teach kids music theory. Those with AP are at a distinct advantage. How can you (aurally) tell the different 7th chords without being able to recognize the individual notes?

When playing on a transposable keyboard, that would be a problem, because people with AP would have memorized a piece in its original key. If you just move the notes down a M2, it would cause major issues for people with AP.

I'm sorry, but nothing you mentioned has much relevance. Memory, chord recognition, etc. of course that are important things. But MUSICALLY it means 0.

#1809756 - 12/21/11 02:03 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: liszt85]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I thought the AP possessor in this thread found these chords "indistinguishable" whereas almost everybody else here (who do not possess AP) did just fine distinguishing between those chords.

That's just factually wrong.

#1809772 - 12/21/11 02:56 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: AZNpiano]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I thought the AP possessor in this thread found these chords "indistinguishable" whereas almost everybody else here (who do not possess AP) did just fine distinguishing between those chords.

My bad. You were talking about your non AP students there.

In any case the point still holds. Non AP people here (which is the majority in this thread) haven't had issues with the chords you mention. So your failure to teach your non AP students to distinguish between those chords probably has nothing to do with having/not having AP.
Next in line:
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1810054 - 12/21/11 03:20 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: liszt85]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In any case the point still holds. Non AP people here (which is the majority in this thread) haven't had issues with the chords you mention. So your failure to teach your non AP students to distinguish between those chords probably has nothing to do with having/not having AP.

And this earned me a message from the mod. Good job AZN.
Next in line:

#1810127 - 12/21/11 05:24 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: liszt85]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And this earned me a message from the mod. Good job AZN.

Why do you need to complain about this? You like to report people too. What goes around, comes around.

#1810133 - 12/21/11 05:37 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't report people unless it completely goes out of hand. It has happened VERY few times in the past. I don't report people saying that they had misquoted me.

Edit: Ah I remember now Ron. I think I reported you about a year ago when you sent me PM's full of filthy language. Is that what you're complaining about? That really did qualify for the rarest of the rare cases. Sorry.

Edited by liszt85 (12/21/11 05:45 PM)
Next in line:

#1810139 - 12/21/11 05:44 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm thinking maybe I should start using the notify button more often. People provoke me clearly knowing that I'm going to respond. Take RonaldSteinway for example. He and I have had numerous differences before. Right here is a clear attempt at starting a new fight with "what goes around comes around". Many people here would report me to the mod for posting something similar. Why should I then not use the notify button? I personally think we can take care of our business without having to bother other people (mods) with silly matters. Apparently, not many share that view. So maybe I'll start bothering the mods myself because I haven't been treated fairly in the past and my not using the notify button enough may have to do with that because many times, mods tend to miss the first shot (and other continuing veiled shots).
Next in line:

#1810405 - 12/22/11 03:42 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Some say 1:10,000, but we thought there might be more hope here in a recent thread...

Here is a test...

The test is useless. If the first pitch is heard correctly, or guessed, all the rest can be nailed through RP...

#1810500 - 12/22/11 09:32 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: Gary D.]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Some say 1:10,000, but we thought there might be more hope here in a recent thread...

Here is a test...

The test is useless. If the first pitch is heard correctly, or guessed, all the rest can be nailed through RP...

LOL, that's exactly what happened! I got 12 out of 12. Theoretically, I have perfect pitch. Yet I know I don't. I hear a few notes perfectly, D being one of them, so I got the first note right. After that it was RP all the way. Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

#1810517 - 12/22/11 10:09 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: ando]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando

Here is a test...

LOL, that's exactly what happened! I got 12 out of 12. Theoretically, I have perfect pitch. Yet I know I don't. I hear a few notes perfectly, D being one of them, so I got the first note right. After that it was RP all the way. Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

If you don't get the first note correct, you are screwed then.
To me PP is only useful, if you need to accompany such as in a church when suddenly the priest sings with incorrect key. PP people will be able to adjust to the correct key right away. RP people will have problem, or in Jazz improvisation where you need to join in the middle, and did not have the chance to find out the key. Otherwise, RP can be used for most occasions. Having great note recognition ability does not guarantee that one will be a good pianist. It definitely helps the learning process.

#1810535 - 12/22/11 10:31 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: RonaldSteinway]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway

Here is a test...

If you don't get the first note correct, you are screwed then.

Pretty much, yes!

Quote:
... or in Jazz improvisation where you need to join in the middle, and did not have the chance to find out the key.

I think even in Jazz, people who don't have AP just learn ways of coping. That has been my experience. For example, if I can't guess the key straight away, I'll play a short chromatic or whole tone run, and within a couple of notes, you hear through RP how far off you are. Jazz players often approach notes this way anyway so it doesn't disturb the listener. After that, you settle in and play around the chord changes until you have your bearings. The only difference for an AP person is that they might be able to avoid the little guessing tool right at the start. A lot of people with AP do not process the identity of notes seamlessly at any speed. They often need a bit of time to concentrate on what they just heard. I suspect that when it comes to imitating phrases in a Jazz improv setting, there is still a degree of RP going on. I don't believe that anyone with a good ear can dispense with RP entirely. It's critical to understanding the tonal hierarchy and playing with correct emphasis on the right notes. AP alone will not inform this if the music is flowing along at a fair speed. With AP, tonal/harmonic thinking is something of an add-on to what's happening (it requires an extra thought process). With well-developed RP, it is part and parcel of it because it is the major tool for how you are getting the notes in the first place. In either case, somebody with highly developed hearing will use a fair degree of RP. AP people are not savants for whom music is revealed effortlessly without conscious effort. It's just a tool that works in a select range of circumstances.

#1810562 - 12/22/11 11:09 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ando, how much time did you take with each note in that test? I've heard that its the time taken that is crucial with these tests.
Next in line:

#1810625 - 12/22/11 01:10 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: liszt85]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ando, how much time did you take with each note in that test? I've heard that its the time taken that is crucial with these tests.

I took about 2-3 seconds per note, I think.

I should add though that I have known about a dozen people with AP in my life and they were not all the same. Some of them took some time to zone in on the particular note they were aiming for. They were extremely accurate, but not always instant. In fact, it generally took slightly longer than I think it took me to get a note using RP. But I think it does come down to what sort of work the individual has put into their pitch training. I put a great deal of work into my RP. I went around singing scales, modes, arpeggios and intervals to myself for several years until I felt very secure with my listening. I consider it to be possibly the single most beneficial thing I ever did for my music.

Likewise, I think a lot of people with AP also put extra work into being very accurate with it. Whether it's testing themselves by getting people to play notes, trying to identify specific notes within dense textures or even by singing into an electronic tuner. Some are even able to discern between a US temperament and a European temperament. (differences of 5 cents or less). All of that is the product of some effort. I think it is often misrepresented as a skill that people get like some sort of idiot savant, but I think it's more like something people pick up by intense musical study and involvement at an early age. Like any skill, it can be honed and improved. Absolute pitch is not absolute! It happens to different degrees and proficiency levels.

I once took part in a 2 year study of pitch recognition. All subjects underwent rigourous testing with PET scanners over their brains. The test pitches were delivered quite rapidly at certain stages to try and separate those who used AP and those who used RP, but it didn't turn out to be so simple. The scan results themselves pointed to the fact that different people take different amounts of time to use either method of pitch recognition. I was classed as having "quasi-perfect pitch" - which means I hear a few select notes absolutely if given enough time to resonate with it, but that I primarily use relative pitch as my tool. I hear guitar notes much more absolutely than piano notes too. I never got around to reading the final results of that study but I might see if I can get my hands on it. Fascinating stuff.

#1810658 - 12/22/11 01:43 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: ando]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I put a great deal of work into my RP. I went around singing scales, modes, arpeggios and intervals to myself for several years until I felt very secure with my listening. I consider it to be possibly the single most beneficial thing I ever did for my music.

The last time I did this was when I was around 10-12 (don't recall exactly). My teacher put me in a room one day with a cassette player playing some popular songs. My job was to figure out all the chords. I didn't even have a pitch to start with but I remember getting all of them right (even the absolute pitch). I did take some time to figure out the absolute pitch (I probably used some vocal cord memory too).

I think I should do some of that training again!
Next in line:

#1810661 - 12/22/11 01:45 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: ando]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

but I think it's more like something people pick up by intense musical study and involvement at an early age. Like any skill, it can be honed and improved.

Research has shown that early musical training plays a huge role in the development of AP.
Next in line:

#1810731 - 12/22/11 04:03 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: ando]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's a very nicely designed little test, and I will recommend it to good students with the idea that it is a good start for testing or working on intervals.

After all, it is not even an octave range (A to G#/Ab) and only single notes. smile

#1811090 - 12/23/11 10:49 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
rob.art Offline

if you've really been good all year sometimes you can get perfect pitch for Christmas present.

#1811097 - 12/23/11 10:57 AM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If you have perfect pitch, your sense of hearing complex figurations and notes can get better, but I don't think there's any way to bridge the gap between having it or not.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no.3

#1811153 - 12/23/11 12:06 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: Kuanpiano]
rob.art Offline

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
If you have perfect pitch, your sense of hearing complex figurations and notes can get better, but I don't think there's any way to bridge the gap between having it or not.

wrong, this is called color hearing - a ideal and most suitable for musician hearing.

#1837423 - 02/02/12 07:11 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I never really cared about obtaining perfect pitch until I saw this:

#1837431 - 02/02/12 07:36 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: Damon]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Originally Posted By: Damon

Very appropriate! Good find Damon.

#1837433 - 02/02/12 07:41 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: Studio Joe]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe

Very appropriate! Good find Damon.

Oh man, I'd forgotten how terrible those old Batman episodes were! eek

#1837462 - 02/02/12 08:55 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: music producer]
Synival Offline

Loc: Monmouth, OR
When I was young, I couldn't name any notes upon hearing them, but I had a good musical memory and always hear in song in my head in the same key. Using that, I taught myself to identify pitches based on songs I knew - Bolero begins with a C, the DSCH moniker in the 8th quartet begins with a D, Ravel's Pavane begins with a G, and so on. I can recognize some notes more easily than others (G's are EVERYWHERE in everyday life), and for others, I need to use relative pitch. If you always hum your favorite tunes in the same key, you should be able to train your ear this way, but beware - I'm convinced some of my favorite recordings are in different tunings, which has really messed with my head wink

I was able to use absolute pitch for ear training exercises back in college, but even if you have that ability, I would NOT recommend it! I really regret not working on my relative pitch - it's much more essential than naming a note out of the air - but it's a neat party trick smile

#1837567 - 02/02/12 11:46 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: Damon]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Holy perfect pitch!!! <snicker>

#1837569 - 02/02/12 11:50 PM Re: Perfect Pitch - What are the odds? [Re: Gary D.]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Holy perfect pitch!!! <snicker>

Yes, it's useful sometimes. ha

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (accordeur, Atrys, angga888, antony, Ashish, 34 invisible), 1207 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251517 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission