Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1807707 - 12/17/11 02:43 PM Ringing,weird bass and noise relating to humidity
Flying Heron Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Well since i got my baby grand, i've had a lot of ringing,weird bass and noise problems. Some are the same as the problems described in this topic, which apparently caused a heated argument :
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1162294/1.html

Today i had a technician came and look at my problem, and he said it was the low humidity in the room that caused the problems. Now i live in Vancouver, Canada and the weather forecast says that the humidity is like 90%. So i didn't really believe him. However after trying the method he mentioned, which is placing a humid towel on the inside piano where the strings are for 8-10 hours, the problems ACTUALLY disappeared! The technician said that some (not all) technicians in North America seem to regard humidity as "not a big deal", however in fact it makes a huge difference. He also mentioned a case where a steinway concert grand had even more issues than my piano and they were resolved by increasing the humidity of the room.

So, i just wanted to share this with everyone so that people can be able to resolve the issues (especially those who say that the issues were caused by the low quality of the pianos, or short strings of the piano. because i have a 150cm baby grand and it does not have any problems now)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1807773 - 12/17/11 06:13 PM Re: Ringing,weird bass and noise relating to humidity [Re: Flying Heron]
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Damp towel inside the piano??
Are you crazy?

#1807778 - 12/17/11 06:27 PM Re: Ringing,weird bass and noise relating to humidity [Re: Flying Heron]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cold air holds less water than warm air. So when you heat up cold air, its capacity to hold water goes up, but of course it still has the same amount of water in it as it used to have when it was cold.

Relative humidity is expressed as a percentage of the amount of water air can hold. So if you heat up very cold air that was holding 90 percent of its capacity, and you don't add or take away water from the air, its relative humidity will drop.

It can drop a great deal and so it is common in cold climates for indoor air in heated homes to have very low relative humidity even though the weather report for the outside air gives an accurate, high relative humidity.

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1807971 - 12/18/11 07:59 AM Re: Ringing,weird bass and noise relating to humidity [Re: Konzert Patrick]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Originally Posted By: Konzert Patrick
Damp towel inside the piano??

I think the wet towels will not be able to change the specifications of your baby grand. It's should be a very lot, size of big room . Excessive moisture is not always good for a piano

#1807973 - 12/18/11 08:09 AM Re: Ringing,weird bass and noise relating to humidity [Re: Flying Heron]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
The design of the piano is such that varying degrees of sustained relative humidity really only changes the over all pitch and to a lesser degree, some of the action settings. Rust on metal surfaces can also occur if RH is extremely high.

Don't put damp things inside the piano unless its designed to be there (such as a DC system). I was under the impression that Vancouver sees a consistant high RH during the winter months, since its mostly raining or misting there during that time. It would probably be wise to use a dehumidifier or a DC system to contend with this.

#1808533 - 12/19/11 09:17 AM Re: Ringing,weird bass and noise relating to humidity [Re: Flying Heron]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Originally Posted By: Flying Heron

Today I had a technician came and look at my problem, and he said it was the low humidity in the room that caused the problems. Now i live in Vancouver, Canada and the weather forecast says that the humidity is like 90%. So i didn't really believe him. However after trying the method he mentioned, which is placing a humid towel on the inside piano where the strings are for 8-10 hours, the problems ACTUALLY disappeared! The technician said that some (not all) technicians in North America seem to regard humidity as "not a big deal", however in fact it makes a huge difference. He also mentioned a case where a steinway concert grand had even more issues than my piano and they were resolved by increasing the humidity of the room.

It seems inside this para that the question has been answered. It is true that Vancouver is rainy and wet for the most part 60-70 inches of rain annually.
But that is not inside your home. When the temperature here is 3-4C (38-40F) the damp and coldness causes the forced air to work overtime drying out the rooms in any building similar to if one lived in a more extreme climate with measurable snowfall.
As far as the wet towel is concerned there is potential damage to be caused by this exercise. Instead use a bucket of water placed on the floor directly underneath the sounding board or purchase a humidification unit and have it installed.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, ando, anamnesis, 36251, A Guy, 34 invisible), 1336 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158404 Topics
2326227 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission