Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
128 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, ando, Almaviva, 38 invisible), 1527 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1942310 - 08/14/12 12:38 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Mostly the Polonaise-Fantaisie and the 1st Scherzo these days. Both are beginning to feel very much "there". The secret to the Scherzo turned out to be playing most of it between p and mf!

-J
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1942311 - 08/14/12 12:38 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Trying to wrap up Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, but the second movement fast part and half of the third movement are proving to be extremely tricky...

The development of the 2nd mvt is VERY annoying to learn, but after you put in all those painfully long hours, it will start to kind of "play itself"..

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1942314 - 08/14/12 12:43 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Trying to wrap up Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, but the second movement fast part and half of the third movement are proving to be extremely tricky...

The development of the 2nd mvt is VERY annoying to learn, but after you put in all those painfully long hours, it will start to kind of "play itself"..

Well, the part where the piano plays all of the nice melodies is fine, just the part that enters after that huge whirl up the keyboard including the cadenza is just ridiculous. The rest is comfortable, just requires shaping a loong loong melodic line that accompanies the woodwinds.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1942319 - 08/14/12 12:48 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well, the part where the piano plays all of the nice melodies is fine, just the part that enters after that huge whirl up the keyboard including the cadenza is just ridiculous. The rest is comfortable, just requires shaping a loong loong melodic line that accompanies the woodwinds.

Are you talking about the middle section, or after the climax of the middle section, or/and after the recap, so the coda?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1942324 - 08/14/12 12:55 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

Are you talking about the middle section, or after the climax of the middle section, or/and after the recap, so the coda?

After the climax, when the piano plays in quick sextuplets that almost sound like trills flying around is the tricky part. The rest seems manageable...
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1942379 - 08/14/12 04:44 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I`m trying to get my head round some stuff I played in restaurants, and develop a unique style based not on skill, but making mistakes sound good . . . if you hit sufficient notes, some will invariably be correct.
Though maybe not in the correct order . . . .

""

#1942513 - 08/14/12 11:41 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

After the climax, when the piano plays in quick sextuplets that almost sound like trills flying around is the tricky part. The rest seems manageable...

Yes! Very annoying to learn. Take your time with it!

#1942536 - 08/14/12 12:28 PM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
This week's project: tightening up Beethoven 3rd and Stravinsky's Concerto for Piano and Winds. Both are somewhat unpianistic in their own ways!

#1942581 - 08/14/12 01:47 PM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Brendan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Brendan
This week's project: tightening up Beethoven 3rd ...
Piano Concerto or Violin Sonata or ? I'm kind of assuming you mean his PC and, if so, do you have a performance coming up?

#1948184 - 08/24/12 12:17 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Scriabin's 10th.

Much of it is readable, but there are deep mysterious pits of complexity. I just spent a half hour on a particular ten measures, mostly working out the rhythms. Yikes.

-J
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

#1948201 - 08/24/12 01:17 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

I'm assuming you're talking about pg 32-34 here? I honestly hate learning those passages.. I find it such tedious work. (One of the reasons I never took a real stab at the Rach 3--lots of passages like this.) Fortunately for most of them, there is a repetitive pattern within the passages, and once you identify it, it becomes far easier to learn. Then you just practice the pattern and you have the passage, no matter where it goes on the keyboard. I think in this section, there are seven patterns, 6-7 individual beat-long breaks from the pattern (some are only a half-beat), and then a quick run at the end. Once you break it down, I think you'll find it much easier to get through. smile

#1948220 - 08/24/12 01:58 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Mendelssohn's Andante Cantabile and Presto Agitato. 3hearts

Music is my best friend.

#1948227 - 08/24/12 02:14 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Learning Chopin's 9/3. Polishing a lot of stuff.

#1948267 - 08/24/12 05:06 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Now that Unsung III is all done, I'm playing through stuff to see what I want to work on next.

Obvious choice, the last three of the set of 12 Esquisses by Koechlin - they were, in fact, getting fairly far along before I ditched them to concentrate on the ones I did manage to upload. There were a couple of other things I started for Unsung III but dropped - a Bacewicz etude and a gavotte by Thuille. I think I'll keep working on them.

I have been having educational fun with Rach's arrangement of the MSND Scherzo, even though it's wildly beyond my reach. For some reason, I don't know why, it is teaching me how to relax, which has been a big issue for me. So I'm practicing it every day.

The A minor P&F from WTC II - it seems doable and is interesting. I may have learn it for real.

Other things I practiced in the last couple of days - some Clementi sonata movements, some chunks of Chopin op. 22, Rach prelude in G major from op. 32, Prokofiev's "Landscape" from his 3 pieces, op. 59 and the second of his op. 54 sonatinas (more and more, I'm liking some things from the more obscure corners of his oeuvre).

#1948339 - 08/24/12 09:04 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: wr]
Gerard12 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: wr
......I have been having educational fun with Rach's arrangement of the MSND Scherzo, even though it's wildly beyond my reach. For some reason, I don't know why, it is teaching me how to relax, which has been a big issue for me. So I'm practicing it every day.......

Good for you. If I'm reading (into) this correctly - and calling into account my past experiences with similar pieces of difficulty - this piece will not be wildly beyond your reach for too long.

(Though I'm not sure of how to define "long." :))

#1948366 - 08/24/12 10:01 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
prelude and fugue on a theme of Ponce.. it is fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDuUNAGZsw

especially the fugue.. pretty hard too. ok - I can't play the fugue no way, I can hardly play the prelude, but i can work on it and pretend I am a concert pianist.

pic coming soon.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1948372 - 08/24/12 10:09 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Schmoe Offline

Chopin's Ocean Etude
Copland's Piano Variations
Bach's Prelude and fugue No. 4 in C# minor from the Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1
Mozart's Sonata No. 17 K570

Well then, I best get back to practicing.

#1948398 - 08/24/12 11:07 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: apple*]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

apple, just a quick note -- if anybody belongs in the Unsung Heroes event, it is Manuel Ponce! The compositions I've heard of his have all been written beautifully for the piano, and his conceptions sensitive and elegant.

#1948405 - 08/24/12 11:21 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
R.Strauss-Fiorentino:Waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiaz5R7N5g

#1948417 - 08/24/12 11:48 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
1000 Post Club Member

Well, for me, two categories:

Bach -- Partitas in G Maj and C Min, for a Bach Around the Clock event that MAY happen in 2013 in Madison, WI (the woman who started it left the area for greener pastures, so we'll see).

My "REALLY" contemporary program, for the 2013 Boston Amateur Competition. Several of the Boston "contingent" were in Chicago for the Chicago Amateur this past May, and I informed them of my intention to foist...uh, present this literature to my adoring public. I say REALLY contemporary, incidentally, as a reaction to the fact that at the Colorado Competition several years back, I won prizes for the best "Contemporary" selections: but these were pieces drawn from the American piano literature of 1930 - 55; i.e., now 60 - 80 years old!

First round:

John Harbison -- On an Unwritten Letter (1999)
Milton Babbitt -- The Old Order Changeth (1999)**
Paul Schoenfield -- Boogie, from Peccadillos (1997)

**In memoriam; I really have no business trying to play him!

SemiFinal round:

Augusta Read Thomas -- Fire Walts (Homage to Bartok) (2003), or
Joan Tower -- Holding a Daisy (1996)
Katherine Hoover -- Toccata (2011)
Libby Larson -- Mephisto Rag (2003), or
Judith Zaimont -- Wizards - Three Magical Masters (2004)

Final round -- really up for grabs (I'll never get that far, anyway):

Steven Paulus -- Sprightly, and Rollicking, from Five Preludes for Piano (1993)
Richard Danielpour -- Elegy, from Enchanted Garden II (2008)
and Night, from Enchanted Garden I (1993)
Lowell Liebermann -- Nocturne No 8 (2004)
Michael Torke -- Blue Pacific (2006)

I've been working heavily on these over this past year, among others written over the past 20 years or so -- but this is the final cut! Obviously, not much time for anything else, although I do plan to dust off a few more, uh, contemporary American pieces from the 30s through the 50s for next year's Unsung Heroes (if there is one, of course).

#1948883 - 08/25/12 09:55 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Gerard12 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
.....My "REALLY" contemporary program..... I've been working heavily on these over this past year, among others written over the past 20 years or so -- but this is the final cut!....

Didn't I see Derek Bermel's Turning on a previous list? Did that one not make the final cut due to length? (Just curious. I just picked up the score a couple days ago - have yet to dig in.)

Edited by Gerard12 (08/25/12 09:56 AM)

#1948961 - 08/25/12 12:23 PM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Orange Soda King]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Bach-Busoni Chaconne. laugh

that's hard enough!

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1949000 - 08/25/12 02:22 PM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Gerard12]
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, you did Gerard12 -- and yes, the "problem" really was length -- but it is an excellent introduction, if you will, to several new "musics", and well worth working on. I particularly like the "Kowie at Dawn" segment, which (as Bermel indicates) is a pianistic evocation of various African percussion instruments. Just an incidental anecdote: Bermel wrote the work for Christopher Taylor in 1996, and Taylor has taught here at the Univ of Wisc Madison for several years now. He holds one free recital per year, and last year he performed "Turning", along with a couple of other contemporary selections. That guy can truly play anything and everything, and has proved it over the years!

#1949227 - 08/26/12 05:18 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bach BWV 849 smile (WTC book1 no.4 C# minor)
You have to play this piece to appreciate Bach's greatness. Been 1 week since I started the fugue, have 2 pages down pretty solid, last/next 2 pages sorta can play yay.

#1949228 - 08/26/12 05:30 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Finishing up the Bartok Sonata and some other stuff for comps. Fun piece to play. grin

#1949240 - 08/26/12 05:52 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Works1 Offline

Loc: New York
Scarlatti K87
Chopin Op.25/9
Faure Op.17/3

#1949271 - 08/26/12 09:16 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Current projects -

Bartok: Etudes op. 18 - have played the 2nd and just memorized the other too, but they're frightening to play and almost impossible for me to get up to tempo!
Debussy: Etudes, book 1 - Performing all of these later this fall in a Debussy festival, they keep presenting new and fascinating challenges to me. Pieces worth studying, for sure!
Beethoven - Hammerklavier, once again. The fugue is a pain in the butt every time I pick it up - some spots just don't have ANY plausible/comfortable solutions regarding fingerings and so on.

Trying to decide what else to focus on this fall, I have hardly ever looked at the Brahms concerti and would love to work on one of them...

#1949313 - 08/26/12 11:03 AM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: Hermanberntzen]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area
Roughly in descending order of "doneness":

Haydn Sonata Hob. XVI:23
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words: Nos. 25, 33 and 34
Brahms Op. 118, Nos. 2 and 3
Chopin Op. 27 No 2
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

#1949333 - 08/26/12 12:12 PM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: jmcintyre]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Restarting lessons at age 54, after 20 or so years of not having an acoustic instrument. My teacher assigned
Brahms, Op. 76, #1 (scares me)
Prokofiev, Op.12, #3 (Rigaudon)
Bach French Suite #2, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande.

exciting and scary, yes.

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#1949428 - 08/26/12 03:49 PM Re: What are you practicing? [Re: woodog]
Playagain Offline

Enjoy your lessons, Woodog!

Working on:
Chopin Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 no. 1
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Posthumous)
Beethoven Op. 13 (Pathetique) Adagio Cantabile
Beethoven Sonata in F Minor Op. 2 No. 1

Kathy

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349372 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission