2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Do you ever feel like you have about a dozen projects you want to get started on at once... and can't seem to start any of them? LOL.

I guess I ought to be working on my NCTM profile project this week. It is due in September (I needed an extension -- how sad is that?) and every time I sit down to work on it, I get all these other teaching ideas and can't sit still! smile

Spending most of the break in my studio, despite it being... my break! But I get the piano all to myself, so there. :P laugh

Okay -- here is one of my ideas just in general. House concerts are getting to be so popular again (they really never went out of style, I suppose, just getting more media perhaps?). So I'd like to find a way to organize them in my city. Find a bunch of hosts and find interested musicians -- soloists and chamber groups, various instrumentation... I'd have to stick with "classical" for now, since those are the performers I know who might be interested.

Anyone here either host or perform house concerts? I played one for my parents in 2008... wish I had had more time to prepare for it, but the audience had a lot of fun. It was a birthday gift for my dad, who turned 60 that year. smile

Private piano teacher in Lexington, Kentucky
Member MTNA, NGPT Board of Adjudicators
http://www.pianolex.com
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

OK. Try this link. I went to acrobat.com and had to click on "publish". This is my first scan using my new printer/scanner and for some reason I was not able to upload the scan to the web host I usually use, but it would upload to acrobat.

I especially like the words "fortea" and "pino"...chuckling over all the correct letters there, but the "a" jumped over to "forte". smile

Priceless. smile That has to make you feel good!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MsAdrienne
Do you ever feel like you have about a dozen projects you want to get started on at once... and can't seem to start any of them? LOL.

I guess I ought to be working on my NCTM profile project this week. It is due in September (I needed an extension -- how sad is that?) and every time I sit down to work on it, I get all these other teaching ideas and can't sit still! smile

Spending most of the break in my studio, despite it being... my break! But I get the piano all to myself, so there. :P laugh

Okay -- here is one of my ideas just in general. House concerts are getting to be so popular again (they really never went out of style, I suppose, just getting more media perhaps?). So I'd like to find a way to organize them in my city. Find a bunch of hosts and find interested musicians -- soloists and chamber groups, various instrumentation... I'd have to stick with "classical" for now, since those are the performers I know who might be interested.

Anyone here either host or perform house concerts? I played one for my parents in 2008... wish I had had more time to prepare for it, but the audience had a lot of fun. It was a birthday gift for my dad, who turned 60 that year. smile

That's called A.D.D.

Last edited by D4v3; 12/19/11 03:45 PM.

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
Originally Posted by D4v3
That's called A.D.D.

No, I do eventually get things done, and am not completely paralyzed. It is perfectionism, which is also not so good. But, um, thanks. I think.

Sorry about that, Ann. Didn't mean to kill your thread! smile

Presently, I am refereeing my kids and this neighbor child while they play upstairs. Ready to send the neighbor home now.

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Sorry about that, Ann. Didn't mean to kill your thread! smile

Presently, I am refereeing my kids and this neighbor child while they play upstairs. Ready to send the neighbor home now.

No problems Adrienne! This thread is for ANYTHING you want to say. I'm glad to still see it going.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I dream about the day a student gives me a coach bag! Regift or not!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
T
T

Yes, all the time!

I'm working on my NCTM projects this year, too. I also needed an extension - it took me the first year just to print out the project information and buy my Flip camera and figure out how to record my playing and lessons. Mine is due in May! If they offered another extension I'd probably ask for one again.

Independent Piano Teacher
Member MTNA, NHMTA
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I anyone teaching this week? Our public schools run until Wednesday, but everyone is coming in unprepared (if they come at all!)

~Stanny~

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Stanny
I dream about the day a student gives me a coach bag! Regift or not!

laugh It's a coin purse, but still. I'm using it!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stanny
I anyone teaching this week? Our public schools run until Wednesday, but everyone is coming in unprepared (if they come at all!)

Yes, I teach this week Monday - Friday. Next week I teach M/T/Th only. Every school district has its own "off" day, so some of my students are in school until the 23rd [gasp!].

We just had our Christmas recital. Nobody bothered to practice, and several people cancelled the day before the recital. I may never do another Christmas recital, ever. It doesn't motivate my students, and the older kids have a billion school projects to do and essays to write--nobody is giving piano a hoot at this time of the year.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm teaching this week through Thursday.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
J
J
We just had our Christmas recital. Nobody bothered to practice, and several people cancelled the day before the recital. I may never do another Christmas recital, ever. It doesn't motivate my students, and the older kids have a billion school projects to do and essays to write--nobody is giving piano a hoot at this time of the year.[/quote]

You too? I came home from my annual group performance class and told my husband I was not having any more. Out of 30 students maybe 3 performed well, maybe another 3 or 4 OK, the rest were awful. Did anyone practice? No wonder they are nervous. I saw one high school girls hands shaking. She was terrible. Another primer student was so shy she was almost sick, but did she ever consider practicing? Sooooo disappointing and embarassing to have such terrible performances. I'm considering theory work sessions next year instead of performance.

W
W

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have my Christmas recital (Party) early in the month before everyone's projects are due. It seems to make for less conflicts as well.

Today I have a lesson with a student who's piano is covered with plastic this week because of home repairs, so he couldn't practice. But he didn't do a lick of theory either, so I have him doing it right now.

~Stanny~

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes indeed, it was money received alright. I don't usually receive tips but, I do get them occasionally. It is very sweet of people to go above and beyond even though they know it is not expected. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joyce_dup1
You too? I came home from my annual group performance class and told my husband I was not having any more. Out of 30 students maybe 3 performed well, maybe another 3 or 4 OK, the rest were awful. Did anyone practice? No wonder they are nervous. I saw one high school girls hands shaking. She was terrible. Another primer student was so shy she was almost sick, but did she ever consider practicing? Sooooo disappointing and embarassing to have such terrible performances. I'm considering theory work sessions next year instead of performance.

I think I'm going to have my studio recitals two weeks after the CM test, so that I get the comments from the evaluators and implement them prior to the recital--to make the pieces more perfect than they were at the exam.

Or I can just make recitals optional for the busy students in high school.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
After the first year or two of hosting a December recital, I decided not to do that ever again. Too much going on in December. It's too stressful for me, and likely to be less successful.

October works well for my studio, but this is in part due to my teaching year round.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One more lesson this morning and I'm DONE FOR THE YEAR!!!

~Stanny~

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Finished teaching yesternight for 2011... Now I do hope to get an extra lesson on Saturday (In fact I know I will... but anyhow), and I'm still working quite a lot to finish off other gigs, but lessons are almost over...

and it actually feels fine... :-/

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission