2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1809037 12/20/11 05:28 AM
I
OP Offline
I

This is so cool and funny. Just had to share.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I didn't really find it funny..found it disrespectful because all they talked about was the bikini. Had it been that and some other stuff, it would have been funny.

I wish they'd asked some intelligent questions. The funniest part to me was one hand gesture of hers. Was it unintentional? Or intentional?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A part of me thinks it's funny, and a part of me feels like it's three musicians sitting around being incredibly narcissistic. Something about it feels like: "Look at us, we're up and coming musicians who are also extremely clever and funny!"

I'd rather just listen to Michael and Yuja play the piano and Nick play cello. (The two guys are also extremely talented musicians.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with Kreisler. Just because you can make and post a "funny" video to youtube, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He needs to hire new writers. Maybe a laugh track. [facepalm here]

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The whole thing is stupid.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by rocket88
The whole thing is stupid.

+1

It makes me much less interested in seeking out these guys' performances, even if they are very good.

And unless she was "in on it" as the maligned guest, this is a perfect lesson for Yuja on when to walk out of an interview.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
It wasn't hilarious, but it didn't bother me either.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The 2 male interviewers ganging up on her - well, they're jerks. Sorry, so not funny.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It seems superficial, but I think Yuja needed that... Now where's the fighters against short red dresses?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I thought it was silly. Yuja seems humorless and the guys are inane. On the positive side, Yuja is aware that there were objections to her revealing dress. I doubt that awareness will change her wardrobe choices until she grows up but it's a first step.

Best regards,

Deborah
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by gooddog
I thought it was silly. Yuja seems humorless and the guys are inane. On the positive side, Yuja is aware that there were objections to her revealing dress. I doubt that awareness will change her wardrobe choices until she grows up but it's a first step.

However Yuja has very valid points. It was in LA that she wore a short dress and its not like nobody wears short dresses in LA. Her point about the moralities of the people around her who seem to criticize her is valid too. I love what she said about Hollywood. So people seem to want to invent all kinds of moral standards as they deem fit. Sometimes the standards are low, sometimes high.. there seems to be no real logical reasoning behind any of it. The major argument in that other thread about her choice of dress seemed to be "it takes away the focus from her music". Well, whose fault exactly is that? laugh So maybe its people that choose the high moral ground who have issues with self-control and focus.

P
P
That's quite awful. This might be a kind of humor I don't understand since English isn't my mother tongue, but the guys just look they're from high school, and the whole thing seemed silly.

Apart from the ugliness of her dress, I wasn't very shocked when I saw those photos. Who care ?
I read somewhere that Gulda played a concert naked once. That was probably many decades ago...
For me the only thing which could be important is why she did that.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yuja was most definitely in on it along with them. If I am wrong, then that makes it even worse. I just didn't find much humor in the video.

Hm. Am I the only one besides the OP that thought this was kind of cute? The entire thing is a clearly planned riff on the absurdity of the brouhaha surrounding Yuja's attire (something I had not been privy to until this point.) Yuja is in on the joke. The joke is that the "characters" that the two guys are playing (we are to understand that this is not their real life behaviour) are mildy smitten by her attractiveness and might, perhaps, want to encourage her to go further. They attempt to hide this in the guise of offering "career advice," but of course, fail. Yuja (or the Yuja "character") sees through this and inserts a few low key digs at the guys expense- which they miss. The guys are supposed to come off looking foolish and over eager.

It's a very low key form of humor. I chuckled at a few of the things struck me as somewhat "Flight of the Conchords" some what-Seinfeld-esque:

The tiny little extra "Nick" after the intro, very slyly introducing the competitiveness between the two guys. Nick wants to be the central focus of the interview, and Mike wants to prove himself to Yuja and make her like him.

Yuja saying "I'm feeling a little invisible here..." after the self aggrandizing intro of the guys.

Nick feigning ignorance "Ahh... that's right, that was you, wasn't it..." when clearly he was aware of the dress controversy (as of the very next sentence.)

The biggest laugh for me was Yuja's dig: "You have viewers?"

Nick's: "I saw pictures of it... (several times, actually")

Mike's "Like a burqua"

Michael insinuating himself into the proposed "date" - "yeah I like Pepsi"

It wasn't the funniest thing I'd ever seen by a long shot, but it's nice to see light-hearted joking amongst people we often regard "reverently" from a distance.

Last edited by Brad Hoehne; 12/20/11 03:30 PM.

1999 Petrof 125-111 (upright)
Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude op 25 #2 and op 10 #5
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Right, I understand all of that, and that's exactly the impression I got, but it just didn't make me laugh.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brad Hoehne
It's a very low key form of humor, somewhat "Flight of the Conchords" some what-Seinfeld-esque.

Also strongly influenced by Zach Galifianakis's "Between Two Ferns", interviews that revel in the awkward pause.

I found it 1/3 funny (I liked when Michael admitted he didn't get her sarcasm at first), 1/3 too precious ("look at us being funny"), 1/3 ick (this isn't quite how I want Wang to develop her professional image).

But overall, I like shaking up the establishment and seeing the musicians as real people. I like Denk's blog, Lang Lang talking about video games. So I think this is a small good thing.

-Jason

Well, humor is a very personal thing. I happened to think that Flight of the Conchords was the funniest TV show of the last decade- and the Mike/Nick back and forth sort of reminded me of that show. Yuja was the straight (wo)Man.

1999 Petrof 125-111 (upright)
Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude op 25 #2 and op 10 #5
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission