2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Emmery #1809949 12/21/11 01:08 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Another interesting thing about early tuning pins is that they had no becket holes. Instead, the wire had a 90 degree bent that was laid on the pin and the initial 10-12 coils were to hold the string tight to the pin. Then the pin was inserted and the remainder of the wire wound on. That's the original reason for the stylistic configuration of tuning pin coils on restored and reproduction early harpsichords some early pianos,

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

ChickGrand #1809959 12/21/11 01:22 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
'Hammer'?

Not when you bring tools on a flight, folks! Always refer to the tuning tool as a 'tuning lever'. Trust me on this.

Square grands? Sure, I'll tune them, when called upon to do so, if the thing is in any kind of reasonable condition. And that is very very rarely. I'd say that out of 15 calls to tune square grands, only one of them is even capable of being tuned. If it is in all original condition, and has never been re-strung, chances are excellent that it can't be tuned. I've written more 'death certificates' for square grands than receipts for tuning them. I use an extension-hammer, remove the dampers (...usually a simple thing to do; one thumbscrew and they lift out easily), and tune away. Yes, I have long arms! I also concur with tuning below A-440. Generally at least 20-cents flat (roughly A-435), and if the piano is already horribly flat, I'll level it out with mebbe a 10-cent raise maximum. Mostly, the people just want it usable, which is all they can get from these creatures.

And that story about burning the squares? True. I think it was the 1905 American Piano Retailers convention. They asked their members to bring along any squares left in their inventory built a pyramid 50-feet tall, and burned them to the ground to signify the 'end' of the square grand. No great loss. I've seen some desks, some planters, and a bookshelf (turned on end, vertical) made from the excellent looking cabinets. The legs have also been turned into tables and lamps that are quite distinctive...they are out there!

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
TunerJeff #1809973 12/21/11 01:41 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Here! I went searching....
-Jeff

We are almost upon the anniversary of a unique American musical event. On the evening of May 24, 1904, piano dealers piled a heap of the older-style square grand pianos on an abandoned beach near Atlantic City, New Jersey and set them on fire. The Great Square Piano Bonfire, front page news in the New York Times and hundreds of other newspapers, had been seven months in the making.

Professor William E. Hettrick of Hofstra has written extensively about the event, and composer Wajid Yaseen contributes this pithy summary based on his work:

“. . . one of the most notorious incidents of wholesale destruction of musical instruments was the burning of a large number of old square pianos at Atlantic City [actually Chelsea Heights], New Jersey, on the evening of May 24, 1904. The event was entirely the creation of Harry Edward Freund, the editor of The Musical Age, a New York trade journal aimed chiefly at piano dealers and among the many concerns that Freund raised in his weekly periodical, was the claim that dealers were suffering losses by having to give trade-in allowances on their old, outmoded square pianos. His solution to the problem was to stage a public demonstration of the worthlessness of the squares in a way that would generate maximum publicity and his campaign began in The Musical Age on November 7, 1903, with his editorial “Burn the Old Squares at the Atlantic City Convention.” Freund made sure that the bonfire ceremony was described in detail, especially the point at which he set his torch to the pile of kerosene-soaked pianos, reported to number one thousand.”

Many piano dealers offered credit terms, another factor in the economic mix underlying the stunt ostensibly about obsolescence.

Those of us who live in homes of 1904ish vintage can understand the popularity of square grand pianos even after their manufacture ceased: they fit in modest parlors and leave room for sofas, settees, whatnots, and the odd aspidistra. The modern grand piano may be easier to tune and louder, but it is so, well, piano-shaped, and rooms are not.

So this holiday weekend, take a minute from commemorating our military heroes and remember this uniquely American musical event, the Great Square Grand Piano Bonfire.

Jerry Lee Lewis, eat your heart out.

For the complete story, see Hettrick, William. Harry Edward Freund’s Great Square – Piano Bonfire: A Tale Told in the Press, .Journal of the American Musical Instrument Society 30 (2004): 57-97,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
Emmery #1809979 12/21/11 01:50 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It had precedents. The French Conservatory burned most of their harpsichords at one time, which makes old French harpsichords precious and rare today, as during the French Revolution, harpsichords were confiscated and sent to the Conservatory.

Semipro Tech
Emmery #1810151 12/21/11 06:54 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, the PITA factor. I took on a few in my younger-and-dummer years. I learned quickly that many of the old wooden action parts could not hold a reliable glue repair. 'Came near to getting sued on one old nightmare, and decided that life was just too short.

I did have one dear old lady who had a sense of humor as large as her bank account, and I approximated some sort of tuning for her on her huge old four-legger for several years, but have done none of them since.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
rXd #1810935 12/23/11 02:28 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
If one was loose it could be used like hammer to very lightly tap the pin in. Hence the term tuning hammer still used even for the lever shaped ones that cannot be used as a hammer.Thanks for the question.

Dear rxd , I really grasped the concept for a "hammer", thank you for the clarification. In Russian, it sounds like a hammer. I was not clear why the key adjustment named if it's don't nailed. Now it is clear that, initially, for harpsicord it's literally acted as a tool for fixing damaged and needed fixing pins nailed it's, In Russian, the tuning hammer: "настроечный ключ"

Last edited by Maximillyan; 12/23/11 02:30 AM.
Emmery #1810993 12/23/11 07:36 AM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Nailed it!!

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission