Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, Anita Potter, ando, A Guy, anamnesis, accordeur, 30 invisible), 1398 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1807681 - 12/17/11 01:46 PM Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart !
zack! Offline

Loc: france
Hi all,

I am 40 yo, french (sorry for my english). My daughter is 7 yo. She started piano since september (1 quarter so) with a teacher. I help her to practice at home, and well, I find myself trying the exercices, and being very happy to do so. So somewhat I started playing piano too, or more precisely to re-start...

I used to play 2 years 30 years ago, I am also educated in basis of music theory and I grew up with an upright at home (my sister used to play for a longer time). I am also a self (and poorly) educated accoustic guitar player (mainly as accompaniment instrument).

We just bought a brand new digital piano for Christmas (a Kawai CN-33). So I have been posting in the digital piano section.

For the moment, I am working with the piano method of my daughter (Howard Kasschau Piano Course Teach Me To Play), 2/3 is done.

I also have piano lessons recorded in my DP, and just found related music sheets on the web :
- Burgmuller, 25 easy studies, opus 100
- Czerny 30 new studies in technics, opus 849

So, I was wondering, how to go ahead...Any advice ?

Best Regards

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1807761 - 12/17/11 05:22 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
If you intend to teach yourself, a good book of all the scales, broken chords and arpegios is invaluable. If you can afford a teacher, even for just half an hour a week, then that would help you avoid all the advice to get a teacher!
Which will happen soon on this very thread unless I am very much mistaken...lol.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1807790 - 12/17/11 07:01 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: Rostosky]
zack! Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
If you intend to teach yourself, a good book of all the scales, broken chords and arpegios is invaluable.

Could you advice one ? Is there any public domain / download book ? Is the Czerny studies, some sort of equivalent ?

If you can afford a teacher, even for just half an hour a week, then that would help you avoid all the advice to get a teacher!
Which will happen soon on this very thread unless I am very much mistaken...lol.

Well, my idea was to continue to follow/sponsor my daughter education , so indirect teaching. So 3 very short sessions (15..30 minutes) per week with her (I do not really play, but control music sheet, correct fingers, keep tempo, demo a phrase, etc). I try to add 1 or 2 longer practising session for me alone (30..60 minutes) but it is not easy to find time. I have only some lessons in advance, and I try to achieve better results if I am too in advance (better tempo, quicker play, better expression).

I think I can continue by myself (for the moment, I really need to work the basics : reading music sheet and elementary exercecice for hands independence). And save a little money if it works (reserve lessons when the difficulties arrives). But should be easy to take some lessons with the same teacher if you think it is necessary.

I don't know if I should begin to work my fingers ability, or continue a more "by tiny pieces" approach like with the current children method I use. Should I continue this serie ? Or is there any specialized "integrated" method (step by step, mixing exercices and mini pieces). Or is the piano book I cited are good, burgmuller seems more "mini piece", and czerny more "half piece, half exercice", so perhaps working the 2 books at the same time is good (I can hear the models on my digital piano) ? I don't know...

I am also wondering if I should try to work by "real/hard" piece approach, some I love, like a "challenge". Don't know if this is better or worse for motivation, and if this way is "effective" or not (granted I can't really work every day, nor achieve more than 2 hour by week).

Well, you see, I am a bit lost. Need a bit of guidance...

#1807804 - 12/17/11 07:37 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hya Zack, dont apologise for your English! Its fine and 100% better than my french.

The Book I recomend ( and no teacher will ever tell you this is not an excellent book)
Is:
The manual of scales arpeggios and broken chords.
BY The Associated Board Of the Royal schools of Music.
Its published by ABRSM publishing
and the ISBN no is 1-85472-066-x

It has all the major and minor scales, and double thirds both major and minor in standard fingering and two group fingering. arpeggios etc.

This will stand you in good stead whatever happens in the future and is a great investment.

Are you actually there when your daughter is getting her lessons each week?
IF I understand you correctly, you are in the same room, so indirectly getting the same lessons?

I think it is good to work on a "challenge" something that is a little outside your ability , but attainable with work... Dont go for things that are VERY much outside your ability or you may become despondant or frustrated if you cannot accomplish these pieces...

Practicing scales should be done as well as everything else you are doing, this will only benefit you !

Also, dont be afraid to play things that are fun, just so you enjoy being at the piano.

Time spent at the piano is time well spent, so dont worry any about that.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1807837 - 12/17/11 08:54 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: Rostosky]
zack! Offline

The manual of scales arpeggios and broken chords.
BY The Associated Board Of the Royal schools of Music.
Its published by ABRSM publishing
and the ISBN no is 1-85472-066-x

thanks

Are you actually there when your daughter is getting her lessons each week?
IF I understand you correctly, you are in the same room, so indirectly getting the same lessons?

No, no physical attendance. But my wife is not musician, and my daughter is still young to remember advice. So teacher write down some notes for me. The teacher put some quick notes (sentences) or drawings where there is some issues, or some special difficulty, on her piano book ("hold this one", "more legato", "keep the tempo", "fingering", etc). So as I supervise the practicing, I figure out what I need to fix for next lesson. She also comments briefly the achievements of the week ("need to work more reading of left hand clef", "lesson 17 very well executed", etc ), and introduce work for next time ("we begin half note, make her sing the notes and clapping hands in tempo to feel the rythm, before playing the piece", etc). So I receive feedback of what is good or not in the playing of my daughter, so if I follow her, I can feedback indirectly my "teaching" and my own "practising".

I think it is good to work on a "challenge" something that is a little outside your ability , but attainable with work... Dont go for things that are VERY much outside your ability or you may become despondant or frustrated if you cannot accomplish these pieces...

Any list of pieces for that purpose in ABF ?

Practicing scales should be done as well as everything else you are doing, this will only benefit you !

Also, dont be afraid to play things that are fun, just so you enjoy being at the piano.

Ok, but now my outlook is now full of work wink I am really a beginner, so everything is quite slow and difficult for me. So I can't do many things. But so far, all is quite new, it is not boring, every exercise is a mini piece (2, to 3 lines). I also have fun with the digital piano (trying sounds, etc). So this is alright.

Time spent at the piano is time well spent, so dont worry any about that.

But I haven't this time smile

#1807959 - 12/18/11 07:14 AM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zack!

But I haven't this time smile

Zack, It's a matter of love.
How much do you love the Piano?
If you love it enough you will find the time, for instance as you have a DP you can play with headphones, which means there is nothing stopping you from going to bed an hour later at night OR getting up an hour earlier. OR : Both.

When I am playing the piano for instance, I lose all track of time, I forget to eat, I put off washing my hair or having a bath.
I dont do the washing up or Hoover the house.

I do the shopping another day and make do with left overs or some toast instead...

Thats because all of the above things make no difference to anything in the end, Playing the Piano is the most important thing to me...

What i am trying to say, is the more you love it, the more time you will find from anywhere, like anything in life really.

Hope this helps!

#1807991 - 12/18/11 09:21 AM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Zack -
I'm in a similar situation... my 7 year old son started taking piano last Feb, so I started too. I started out by just following along, then occasionally getting pointers from his teacher, then more frequently lessons along with his. I do go to most of his lessons, and also find the time (late at night) to practice most nights, though I didn't have any previous experience in piano... so in those respects a little different from you.

If you manage to practice a similar amount to your daughter, I suspect that unless she's a prodigy you will progress faster, so my guess is that the notes associated with her lessons will probably do you very little good. So, I'd say you are for all practical purposes in the "self teaching" category unless you decide to tag along or set up your own lessons.

For easy things to begin with outside your "method" book, I enjoyed John Thomposon's first grade etudes book, but then after 8 months moved onto some easier classical pieces... FWIW those were/are Clementi sonatina's 1 and 2 (third movements of each... but these would have been harder were it not for my instructors help/fingering notes), and Bach's minuet in G from the Anna Magdelena notebook. If you're interested in non-classical maybe someone else can suggest some pieces once you're ready to branch out. There have been threads recently about first/easy classical pieces, so you might search for those.

At any rate, make sure you have fun, as that's the reason to embark on all this!

Edited by bessel (12/18/11 09:21 AM)

#1808250 - 12/18/11 05:40 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
zack! Offline

Thanks for your support and advices.

#1808952 - 12/19/11 11:41 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
gahdzila Offline

Good luck, zack. I started out almost exactly like you - had a year or two of lessons as a child, but none since...my son started lessons, and I followed along for a while. I bought the Alfred's All In One Adult method book, and worked on that on my own and also helped him with his practice. But it wasn't long before I realized I wasn't progressing much. Things didn't really start taking off for me until I started taking lessons myself, from the same teacher. Get a teacher, you won't regret it!

Your English is much better than my French! grin

Edited by gahdzila (12/19/11 11:42 PM)

#1809419 - 12/20/11 04:52 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Start hunting around for more resources, e.g. books and websites (http://artiden.com, http://youtube.com, etc.), for more help. Following your daughter's lessons is a good idea, but you eventually will want an instructor of your own (to suit your level and your needs).
Good luck!

#1809668 - 12/20/11 11:16 PM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: zack!]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Bienvenu à Piano World, zack! Je ne peux rien te dire au sujet de tes études au piano, sauf dire que le piano est un bel instrument. Il y a aussi un forum francophone de piano, pianomajeur.net, si ça t'intéresse.

(Welcome to Piano World, zack! I can say nothing to you on the subject of your piano studies, except to say that the piano is a lovely instrument. There is also a francophone piano forum, pianomajeur.net, if that interests you.)

#1810433 - 12/22/11 06:30 AM Re: Hi, I am a newcomer needing some advice to restart ! [Re: PianoStudent88]
zack! Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Bienvenu à Piano World, zack! Je ne peux rien te dire au sujet de tes études au piano, sauf dire que le piano est un bel instrument. Il y a aussi un forum francophone de piano, pianomajeur.net, si ça t'intéresse.

cool Salut l'Acadien !
Cela fait plaisir de trouver des francophones de l'autre coté de l'océan (ca fait comme avoir des cousins éloignés wink ) .
Merci pour le site francophone, je suis venu ici, car on trouve plus de messages sur les pianos numériques... Comme ca je travaille mon anglais en plus du piano !
Joyeuses fĂȘtes aux Acadiens et aux quebecois !

hi the acadian,
Pleased to find french speaker from over seas, make me like having sort of distant cousins... Thanke for the french link, I come here to find more messages on digital piano section. Moreover it allows me to practise my english in addition to piano learning...
Happy chrismtas to acadians and quebec people !

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
13 minutes 30 seconds ago
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
15 minutes 18 seconds ago
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
37 minutes 42 seconds ago
piano with willie
by TonyB
Today at 08:25 PM
Weird notation in the left hand
by LarryShone
Today at 07:43 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160026 Topics
2349976 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission