2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 97 of 140 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 139 140
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
For my fingers the stretch is such there is no curve - my fingers are straight out like carrots to reach. I need finger 4 to contact in just the right spot, if it does, all is well.

Well it's gotta be tough playing with Ten Left Thumbs, innit? confused

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Brent H
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
For my fingers the stretch is such there is no curve - my fingers are straight out like carrots to reach. I need finger 4 to contact in just the right spot, if it does, all is well.

Well it's gotta be tough playing with Ten Left Thumbs, innit? confused

1 1 1 1 1

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Merry Christmas everyone, Have a joiful time! Been great working here in the last year and I look forward to learning from book 2 next year.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's going to be a great year!
++

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Anyone making goals for next year?

Last year I set myself the goal of improvising quavers, in control - and - I've done it.

I'm wondering if I should do something about comping for next year. I'll stick with joi, of course, it's not mutually exclusive. I'm just wondering how much it would take for me to get together with other jazzers and comp, and if that's a realistic goal for a year. Any thoughts?

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
Short term goal: to get a maj-min tune nailed e.g. Beautiful Love
Medium term goal: to finish JOI at the end of April, God willing it will be 2 years.
Longer term goal: Develop skills for arrangements.

What is your preferred style of jazz ? Do the other musos in Edinburgh play it ?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi custard, you are working steadily at this. If I remember right you're in the 40's with the tunes, so that would be on course for the end of April. As for arrangements, that could keep you busy for a while, depending on what you arrange....

As for Edinburgh there is this place:
http://www.thejazzbar.co.uk/

I have to admit I've never been there. It's in a part of town that's difficult to get to - or more to the point, difficult to get home from. Especially at 3am. I'm not thinking just now of performing at all. There is a music library in town, musicians put up fliers. Any time i go there there will be signs saying 'jazz singer wants pianist to accompany' etc, etc.

I think I need to focus on quick reflexes for chords for this. I'm sure there's more to it than that. I've not really done two handed chords.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I'm just wondering how much it would take for me to get together with other jazzers and comp, and if that's a realistic goal for a year. Any thoughts?
It takes less than you might think. I think towards the end of the year might be a realistic goal.

Gotta work on 2 things: Be able to solo on about 1/2 a dozen tunes.
Be able to improvise at 120 or so.

It think the speed thing would take maybe 3 months to feel good. Each tune is like 3 to 4 weeks. So it can be done! But it'll keep you busy!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Or did you mean comp for a singer in a duet?
I really have no idea how to do that, but you'd have to work with Dave specifically on this. I assume it will involve some basslines and playing in unfamiliar keys.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
hi knotty, thanks for the reply. i was just thinking of some kind of playing with others, not necessarily soloing myself. ive not taken 'comping' as a goal, but maybe i should? a year is long enough to build skill if i work.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's a nice goal!
There are some logistics involved, but the easiest is to simply sit at an open jam session, oR find someone that will host one and has a keyboard ready...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
the logistics are a problem. i could have one other musician in my living room, at the right time. i dont have a dp, neither can i see myself being able to afford a good one in the next year. still, you never know what opportunities might arise.

having hunted around i have an initial plan and would like to hear your thoughts. stage 1: master 2+2 voicings as in randy p228ff and apply to tunes. i prefer these voicings to levine's 1+2 which just feel a little childish (root note only in lh). i think i need to make a start on 2 handed voicings, and getting them to come quick. course i can do much smarter than randy p228, *but* i need them to come quick. sound like a good place to start?

the other option would be more familiar rootless rh + walking bass. probably also important, but i can only focus on so much at a time?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

You can worry about logistics later. Once you start looking, you should be able to find places to play.

I think it would be a better approach for you this year to lay out a stricter practice plan. Doesn't have to be logging hours or whatever, but just having in mind all the things you want to do in your practice, what specifically they will make you better at, and roughly how much of your time you want to dedicate to it.

2+2 is fine, it's a simple solo piano approach, but it's not going to get you much closer to your goal of playing with others.

Better might be to learn to play arrangements for about a dozen tunes by the end of the year. Maybe less than that.

Also, I think it's important that you stick to the JOI program. Finish the tunes, keep with the hanons, and a lot of improv. Some singing with solos would be great also.
Perhaps as much as 30% to 40% of the time should be spend on improv. Then maybe 10% on hanons, 10% on singing with solos, and 20% on arrangements (whether 2+2 or totally free). Some time on the joi tunes and you got yourself a nice routine.

Playing to me does not count as practice btw. Each time you practice something, you should have in mind why you're doing it. And so with improv, you shoudl stick to the plan, just playing simple progressions for now and working your way up.
I've been playing Yardbird Suite for almost 4 weeks, and no other tune. I am now starting to dig the changes to that tune. I'm taking it faster one notch at a time, and it's starting to really burn.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
hmmm, not sure. I just can't imagine saying, look, I've learned these 12 songs, lets do them - but if you want to do anything else it's going to take me a month to learn it.

The arrangements that I've done (and they took a lot of work to play to an acceptable level) didn't help me at all with coming up with chords quickly. Neither does improv because I work by setting my lh to autopilot.

I will absolutely stick with the joi plan.

but I think if I want chords to come quick, then that's what i've got to work on. Somehow.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
the key here is to practice two-hand 2-5-1 (for example) combinations. Dm7 - FACE G7 - FABE CMaj 7 - EGAD, is one of a million..play them whilst saying the name of the chord out loud, chromatically, around the cycle of 4ths, up and down min 3rds, eventually using the metronome at slow speeds.

This will give you the grabbing capability.

DF

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by davefrank
the key here is to practice two-hand 2-5-1 (for example) combinations. Dm7 - FACE G7 - FABE CMaj 7 - EGAD, is one of a million..play them whilst saying the name of the chord out loud, chromatically, around the cycle of 4ths, up and down min 3rds, eventually using the metronome at slow speeds.

This will give you the grabbing capability.

DF

that exact voicing is what i do with one hand. every key, every day. what should I do for two hands?

just to clarify - my mo has been every chord is 3579 or 7935 to make a smooth progression around or a little south of middle C.

i just need a bigger spread. for ultimate grabbability. smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
Are you talking about harmonising ?
For Dave's example which is a 7th chord you can use
LH) R 5 7
RH) 3 7

If you are talking about melody as well, for the RH you need to include the melody note on top. If the melody note is already 3 or a 7, then you don't need to.

btw I know it's scary but I think like Knotty help
Making your melody sing is important, much more important than harmonising your melody. To make your melody sing:
1. Stick closely to JOI (singing JOI tunes and the masters as you have been doing) and
2. Automate your LH to enable your brain to concentrate more on your RH.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
oops, I screwed up, the two handers would be like:
Dm7 LH DGC RH FA
G7 LH GF RH BEA
CMaj 7 - CE RH ADG

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by davefrank
oops, I screwed up, the two handers would be like:
Dm7 LH DGC RH FA

no worries. but im confused, why does the dm7 have a G in it?

G7 LH GF RH BEA
CMaj 7 - CE RH ADG

is the CE a third or a 10th? max reach is an octave.

so one thing i'm noticing is not being afraid to put root in bass.

thanks for all help.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

If you are talking about melody as well, for the RH you need to include the melody note on top. If the melody note is already 3 or a 7, then you don't need to.

hi cus, i'm talking about comping, so someone else is playing the melody, or soloing.

i suppose if i'm playing the melody then rh (melody) and lh (familiar chords i'm used to) would be a provisional start. probably worth practicing. but my range for chords is an octave and it would be nice to break out of this with two hands.

Page 97 of 140 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission