Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (Aspirant, anotherscott, Auver, Artur Gajewski, Anita Potter, 46 invisible), 1411 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 17 of 26 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#1662931 - 04/19/11 12:53 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
boneitis Offline

Loc: California
Hello. Been lurking for a couple weeks, and now I've decided to register.

Played violin from around years 11 to 18 of age. Flute around 11 to 15. Piano from around 13 to 16. These have all been pretty much "formal" playing; that is, with lessons. Came back perhaps three years ago (currently 24) to the piano, playing on my own... very on-and-off, although I'm playing a lot more these days for the past half-year -ish. Mostly learning music from Japanese videogames I've played. I may, at times, play a lot of piano, but I don't intend to take it to anything beyond hobby status. I'm more a math and science kind of guy, anyway.

I've recently taken a liking to jazz, particularly jazz trios where piano is boss =), so I'll probably be wanting to get some of that sort o' stuff up in my repertoire.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1668725 - 04/29/11 07:04 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
emmov Offline

Ah, hello all! I'm fifteen and have been playing piano for ten years now. It has only been recently (talking about the last year or so) that I've gotten a lot more serious about piano, though I've been competing (and if you'd like to know whether or not I'm good, yes, winning) ever since I started.

I can't really say anything here that most of you (probably) already know: music is more than incredible and piano, piano is love. My new baby grand just came in a couple of days ago- I'm still smiling. I'm ecstatic! Yes, I'm serious about piano. It's depressing the number of hours in a day and all the obligatory things in life that take away from the time I can be playing.

In addition to piano, I play cello but I'm not serious about that at all. It's something fun, something different.

I'm kind of wary to put myself online here but I have to admit it's intriguing and I'm looking forward to being uh active? Anyways, hi, nice to meet everyone, and I'm excited to start conversing (or just lurking wink ) here! Oh- and CLASSICAL! I play classical piano, neh? Not that I have anything against other genres (e.g. jazz) but I'm really strictly a classical pianist.

#1677438 - 05/14/11 08:14 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Edel Offline

Hi, I'm Edel!
I am 15 years old and have just bought my very first grand piano! It is a Wendl & lung 161, from 2007. I know it is not exactly the best you can get but is good enough for me.

I have played for about 6 years, and I really love it. At the time I play Aufswung by Schumann, and I am working on two rhapsodies by Bhrams. I am here to get inspiration from other pianists, and to have discussions and conversations about music.

#1679795 - 05/18/11 01:41 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
meL_lovesChopin Offline

Yow everyone!!! grin I'm a new member here.. laugh
Lemme introduce my self 1st..

I'm Amel..
From Bali, Indonesia

I lovvvveeee pianoo really much..
Esp. Chopin and Bach..

Well umm.. as a new member, I wanna say.. I hope we can be friends... and nice to meet you all.. laugh

#1682213 - 05/21/11 04:55 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: bellamusica]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm glad you graduated to a real piano. I often judge competitions here in So. California and occasionally a young student will come in and become disoriented at the grand piano, not knowing which octave to play in. This is a sure sign that he has been practicing on a short keyboard.

Your current program is an interesting and challenging one.

If you are interested in practice tips and technical suggestions, you can find some of this information on my blog: neilstannard.blogspot.com.

#1683801 - 05/24/11 03:54 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
justarobert Offline

Loc: SFBA, CA, USA
Hello! OSK and some others in the Van Cliburn Amateur Competition chat room pointed me to this forum. I've been playing piano for almost thirty years now, and am currently working on polishing about an hour's worth of music for competitions and recording. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area with a Grotrian 192 and a cat. Hope to see some of you this summer at one of the amateur piano competitions!

#1683803 - 05/24/11 04:00 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
Welcome!! Glad to have you aboard. smile

#1683827 - 05/24/11 05:02 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: sarah_elizabeth]
justarobert Offline

Loc: SFBA, CA, USA
Thanks! Is there a pointer to etiquette and/or common practice for the Members' Recordings section? (e.g. Is editing discouraged? What streaming/hosting platforms do people prefer?)

#1685244 - 05/26/11 09:06 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
I don't think there is, justarobert... A lot of folks here use box.net to upload recordings, with Youtube for the videos of course. I don't think most PW members have a problem with general editing techniques (adding reverb, cutting out mistakes or page turns, and the like).

#1685252 - 05/26/11 09:28 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: justarobert]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: justarobert
Thanks! Is there a pointer to etiquette and/or common practice for the Members' Recordings section? (e.g. Is editing discouraged? What streaming/hosting platforms do people prefer?)

Right. It might be nice to slip in that you edited a recording if you did, but aren't studio recordings edited anyway? I just wouldn't use them for auditions or saying that you didn't edit them.

#1686845 - 05/30/11 01:46 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
mrscostco Offline

Loc: Texas
Hello robert! Good to see you. I'm originally from the SFO area, my family is there. Welcome to the forums. :-)

Elementary Music/Choir Teacher

Estonia L190

#1687566 - 05/31/11 05:05 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
AnnaS Offline

Loc: Malta Europe
Hi there! i'm from Malta (Europe) here's a link to another thread where i introduced myself smile

[url=My Thread]http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1686864/Hi%20There,%20i'm%20new%20:).html[/url]

Anna

#1687650 - 05/31/11 09:19 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Grobanite23]
AnnaS Offline

Loc: Malta Europe
Hi Grobanite,

I found you by chance here, are you really a grobanite? are you on fojg? i am there too, let me know who you are i'm curious!! LOL!

#1688209 - 06/01/11 12:38 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Skriabin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: li, new york
I Lurk =)

#1689217 - 06/02/11 12:24 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
nola Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I'm new to the site. Blogged and enjoyed the V.C.Amateur
competition. Learned much from the comments & inspired by
the performers, so much that I am learning "Widmung" and
a Rach.Prelude and back to Czerny et al.

Will there be live streaming video of the Boston competition?

#1689225 - 06/02/11 12:37 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: emmov]
nola Offline

Loc: Louisiana
nice to meet you and share your enthusiasm and appreciation for the piano.
Keep on posting!
Are you liking your new grand piano? It will be a life-long treasure.
I love mine. It was given to me by my parents and for that has special
meaning.

#1689445 - 06/02/11 06:51 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: nola]
emmov Offline

Yes! I love my piano. I can't quite remember how it felt to practice on an upright (my former piano)

#1690097 - 06/03/11 07:43 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
sesquipedalian Offline

Loc: Michigan
I took my first piano lessons as a sophomore in college (I think) and progressed at a satisfactory rate (to me) given that I rarely practiced. Upon transferring to a different university, I continued lessons for two more years but grew frustrated with my slowing progress (although not surprising as I still was not inclined to practice).

After graduating, I didn't take lessons and didn't have access to a piano, so I played sparsely (if that) on an inexpensive keyboard until I broke down and purchased a Roland digital piano probably around 2002 or 2003 (about 8-9 years after graduating). I enjoyed it immensely for the first year or two but began to grow dissatisfied with the clacking keys and general action (even though the sound was really nice). The digital piano began to collect more and more dust until I finally decided to sell it and purchase an acoustic upright piano in 2008 (new Yamaha P22).

With the new piano, I found great pleasure in the sound and action and became motivated to sign up for lessons again. I am still taking lessons as of now. I practice more regularly, but finding time and motivation seems to be a great challenge. Without the lessons, I think my skills would continue to languish.

My current teacher is really good, but I feel that I am learning things (posture, hand movements, etc) that I should have already learned but didn't. I am trying to cultivate better habits, but progress seems to come at a glacial rate compared to when I first started over 15 years ago. In addition, while barely better than a beginner (especially when it comes to sight reading and rhythm), I have a growing desire to move from my upright to the action and expressive capabilities of a grand piano (mostly from my experience of playing on one for my lessons).

I am now looking to purchase a grand piano, thus coming upon this forum while searching for information. Currently, I am investigating a rebuilt (actually still being rebuilt) Mason & Hamlin 1952 AA (yes, it really is a 1952 AA, see http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...mlin%20Pur.html for more info).

I probably will be primarily a lurker, but I hope to continue to learn from the knowledgeable people here.

#1690775 - 06/05/11 07:04 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Please.Teach.Me. Offline

Loc: Philippines
Hi everyone,

I'm a 17 year old incoming college student from the Philippines. I've been playing the piano since I was 5 years old. I joined because I found these forums to be a great source of guidance and knowledge and because I wish to learn more. I wish to further enhance my playing. Right now I'm learning Debussy's Deux Arebesque No.1, Bach's two part invention No.8, Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, and Ernesto Lecuona's Malaguena. As my username says, please teach me, I'm more than willing to learn.

Thanks!

#1693119 - 06/09/11 06:27 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Renata Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hello my name is Renata, a 16-year-old level 8 pianist. I have been playing piano for 9 years but I did take a year off to take some dance classes. I also play French horn, guitar, recorder, and trumpet. I am a performing arts high school student. I hope to learn a lot about pianos at this forum.

#1698084 - 06/19/11 12:36 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Chilang42 Offline

Hi. I'm new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I have been lurking for a bit, but the information provided by the posts here regarding the Cliburn Amateur competition and the wonderful advice and support here have inspired me to join.

I started lessons just before high school, but I had to drop them when I got to college. I have played for some weddings (mostly friends and family) and have accompanied some vocal students. I picked up lessons seriously again after I got married. However, after the arrival of my wonderful children, I stopped the lessons to focus on them. Now I try to practice whenever I have spare time, working on pieces that pique my interest.

Music is a large part of my life and I enjoy discovering new composers and works. My current classical listening obsessions include Feinberg, Medtner, Mompou, and Ligeti.

I hope that I can contribute as much to the discussions here as I have learned since finding this site.

Thanks,
Steve
Mompou: Cancion y danza #7
Medtner: Sonata-Reminiscenza
Zabrack: Scherzo
Rachmaninov: Concerto #1 (2nd movement only)

#1699372 - 06/21/11 01:55 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
thegaffer11 Offline

What's up? I'll just stick with the name the gaffer, although I'm not a gaffer, someone just thought it sounded funny and I got the name. Anyways, I haven't played the piano or any instrument since I was about.... 11 or 12 (~10 years) until I heard an awesome piano song from a video game I was playing, and my fingers caught on quick to songs somewhere in the intermediate level. I very easily made significant improvements to sheet music and started improving fairly easily after a couple of months. My fingers started doing all sorts of ludicrous things I never thought possible for someone who never really played any instruments... Except for Guitar Hero, I'm pretty addicted... and I don't tend to brag, and don't mean to brag now by saying I couldn't believe I was doing these miraculous things, I'm being 100% honest. I keep putting challenges in my way that I think will destroy me because of the speed and need of trained hands or lots of experience, but I have been surprisingly successful. It makes me deeply regret giving up my piano lessons when I was a child.... well I'm only 24, so I'm still a child to some degree, but it seems like with those years of experience, I would be pretty decent by now.

I've been playing for about 8 months now, and already have a ton (30 or 40ish) of awesome video game songs, and I know that probably 95% of the people who look at this sight probably don't care whatsoever. However, The first two on my list I would say are about a 6 on a scale from 1-10 (10 being a song like La Campanella by Liszt). Anyways, my favorites are:

Approaching Champion Cynthia - it's pokemon, which I obviously am wwaaayy too mature for, but found it by luck by typing battle theme piano music, or boss battle piano on everyone's favorite video hosting site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Egwloq6Lk

Jenova from Final Fantasy 7

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jenova+piano&aq=f

Theme from Kingdom Hearts - and my version is way better... to me and my buddy anyways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQzRAaXxjek

Mario 64 Final Bowser theme as fast as possible

I have a tendency to just speed up every song I play until there's no way I can get it to go any faster, so I have also been getting into a lot of the classical musicians as well because they are much more sophisticated, pace controlled, emotional, and genius. My favorites out of the ones I've learned are

DeBussy - Claire De Lune, which is probably my favorite right now

Although I'm too lazy to learn all of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, I could play the first 20 second Riff of the 3rd movement all day and never get tired of hearing or playing it because it's so awesome. And that's one of those things I don't understand about how my hands and fingers are doing it.

Bach
Tocatta & Fugue In D Minor
Solfeggietto

O ya, and I had to learn motzart's Alla Turca or however you spell it for my niece who always makes me play it. no disrespect to wolfgang

I also like Yann Tierson and Ludovico Einaudi alot.

Anyways, I've run across this website so many times, and always been incapable of getting the information I need by not being a member. My piano desire is running out because I need new songs that I have a desire to learn, and I'm hitting barriers with the frustration of reading sheet music because it takes SOOOO long since I just started learning how. I want to be a master now, and I'm hoping this website helps me out. I hope I can help any of you guys out if I can, I don't have much experience or knowledge, but I know a lot of awesome video game songs.

#1701829 - 06/25/11 01:00 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: thegaffer11]
StepmaniaFreak Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hello everyone. I have no real reason for joining other than just wanting to find another resource to get any help on songs I would like to learn in the future.

For a little bit of info about me, I'm 18 years old and only know songs that I've memorized by watching videos online. I can not play by ear or read sheet music. I do, however, have about a dozen or so songs committed to memory. That all started several years ago when my dad picked up an old upright at a local auction for $10. Yea, it needed a lot of work but after it was all said and done I had a piano for a little more than $150 and some elbow grease. It sounded alright for me at the time since I hadn't touched a "real" piano in a very long time and I was also very young.

One day, I was bored and looked up a song I had liked. I decided to try and learn it by watching a video of someone playing it and copying what they do exactly. It was slow, tedious process but after a couple weeks of work, I had learned my first real song, Jennifer Haine's The Storm Begins (Not me). I enjoyed playing that so much that I started searching out more videos of song I liked that I could learn.

Fast forward to today and I'm playing fairly difficult pieces for someone who can't even read sheets. smile I only recently started taking piano lessons again to learn to read. It's a slow process but I'm sure I'll get there soon enough!

Edited by StepmaniaFreak (06/25/11 01:03 PM)

#1701838 - 06/25/11 01:17 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: StepmaniaFreak]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Hey, welcome! You might enjoy the "Pianist Corner - Non Classical" are a bit better. The title of this forum "Pianist Corner" is not the most specific one, in that this area is geared more toward classical. But that does not mean you can't be here! Just if you want help with some of the tunes you're learning on piano, I think you'd get better feedback in the Non Classical forum.

Originally Posted By: StepmaniaFreak
I only recently started taking piano lessons again to learn to read. It's a slow process but I'm sure I'll get there soon enough!

That's GOOD. smile Knowing how to read music is (I believe) a very, very good skill. smile

#1702834 - 06/27/11 08:29 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello to everyone!! I'm a pianist, I'm 13 years old, I play fairly advanced repertoire. I started learning piano at the age of six and a half. It's fun, and I enjoy it (as I should, otherwise I shouldn't, wouldn't be playing today). I don't play any other instruments, I used to sing in a choir, I can't really think of much else. That's my intro!

#1703746 - 06/28/11 06:22 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
delina.dea Offline

Loc: italy
Hello all!
I started playing piano and violin when I was 12 and now I am teaching the others...I live in Europe,Italy,it's a beautiful country!!,but would like also to know what is going on at the international stage as well :-)Hope I can learn it from you.
Nice to meet you all,a presto!

Edited by delina.dea (06/28/11 06:23 PM)

#1706237 - 07/02/11 02:29 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
bigguy Offline

Hey there everybody. I'm one of those "returning" piano students; I only took lessons for maybe 4 months when I was about 10 years old, and now at 23 I've decided to start learning to play again. I'm a hack guitar player and played the saxophone for 1 year in the middle school band, but my knowledge of music is pretty rudimentary.

I've always loved music and have attempted to teach myself various instruments (guitar that I never got very far, and piano where I progressed... well, I really didn't) but for some reason I've never been able to have any success without someone there to help me along.

I've only been taking lessons for 3+ weeks, but I can already feel the desire kicking in; I've progressed through a lot of material in the short period of time. I play on one of those really cheap Casio keyboards with 61 keys for now, but hopefully will have reason to upgrade a few months down the line. I really have an appreciation for certain video game music, but also enjoy popular and classical pieces; I'm interested in learning all sorts of music.

I was drawn to sign up here because I don't really have anyone in my family/close friends who seems to "get" why I'm drawn to learn the piano. It's something that I'm constantly thinking about, but don't really have anyone to talk to about it; thus, here I am on the internets. Hope to become an active member and see you guys around! laugh

#1706692 - 07/03/11 02:35 PM Hi everyone / Bach d minor two-part invention [Re: Kreisler]
Gimp Michele Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Hey everyone,

Just discovered these forums via a web search about an hour ago. How exciting! Many years ago I got my bachelor's in piano and not quite so many years ago I had to quit playing due to a chronic repetitive stress injury. I'll never play seriously again, but I recently inherited my mother's piano and have been playing a bit now and then. So here's my question…

Been looking at the Bach two-part inventions – specifically the D minor – and I'm interested in hearing your comments about why the left-hand trill in bar 29 is notated with an upper auxiliary of F natural. It creates a lot of tension and excitement because it's so dissonant with the f sharps in the right-hand. I love the sound, but I'm curious what's going on there from a theory and analysis standpoint. Hoping somebody whose last theory class was less than 25 years ago can enlighten me!

#1708630 - 07/06/11 06:28 PM Hi everyone [Re: Kreisler]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Hi you all. I discovered the forum a while ago when I decided to restart playing piano. I'm "mid 30s" I started playing piano as soon as I started reading or earlier... than I slowed down later in high school and at the end a bad car accident put a stop to that about 10 years ago... after "some" rehab for my left arm/hand I felt that I was able to restart and than.... I got a yamaha ydp 161 to practice waiting to buy a real grand....

my target is be back close to where I "mentally" left in 3 to 5 years....

:-)

Edited by Ataru074 (07/06/11 06:29 PM)
Mozart: Kv330
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
===============================================

#1709350 - 07/07/11 08:37 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
PianoTrends Offline

Loc: Chicago Area
Pianos Are People Too....at least in the sense that they become good friends to those who appreciate, care and play them for life's enjoyment
http://www.PianoTrends.com
email:sales@pianotrends.com

Page 17 of 26 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
Today at 06:22 AM
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
Today at 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
Today at 02:12 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159287 Topics
2339884 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission