Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1811544 - 12/23/11 11:57 PM Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ?
Fun2Learn Offline

Would we be be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 (console) instead of a Kawai MP 6 (stage piano), or vice versa?
Yesterday and today, my 14 year old daughter (who's played piano for 5 years) and I went out shopping for a digital piano for her birthday and Christmas present. After trying different brands and models within our price range (which has creeped up to double what I was originally intending on spending, LOL!), we narrowed down the "short list" to either the Kawai CN 33, which she tried out extensively in the store, or the less expensive, but more feature-laden MP 6, which she hasn't actually played, but it has the same action and sound generating system as the CN 33, (and has even better polyphony- but only one pedal (though you can purchase the other 2 as an option.)The sister branch of the Kawai store we were in today has a few MP 6 's in stock, so we could make the long, 2 hr. drive out there tomorrow to get it(or have it sent to the closer branch after Christmas.) Even after I would buy a stand, bench and speakers, the MP 6 set up would end up being about $300-400 less than the Kawai CN 33, even though that was on sale, too!

Would we be crazy not to get the MP 6, just because my daughter likes the console piano look of the CN 33 vs the stage piano look of the MP 6? (I would definitely have to get a nicer looking wood type stand for it.) She would like the extra features of the MP 6, but isn't sure how much more she would use them compared to the ones already on the CN 33(which has 36 sounds) or if it would be worth giving up the pretty cabinet for them. (Heh- she's only 14, so isn't always the wisest on these kinds of choices--and known to change her mind a lot, so that is why I anm asking you veterans!LOL)

The dp is going in her bedroom--we already have an acoustic in the living room. The whole reason for getting a dp is for all the extra features and effects that she wants to play around with and get creative with.

Opinions? What do you all think? Is it crazy to pay more for less features, but a prettier cabinet, when we already have a "pretty" acoustic ? The salesman in the store was pushing the CN 33, which he didn't even have in stock--so it is not like he merely wanted to sell us something that day. He seemed to think that we would be making a mistake going with a more complicated set up like the MP 6.

He did say that you can buy an inexpensive box that generates different sounds, and attach it to the CN 33 piano,if we should ever feel like she needed more sounds. IS anyone familiar with that?

Thanks in advance.

(By the way- she also tried out a yamaha arius 181, and the Yamaha clp 430, and didn't like them as much as the kawai. She also tried a Roland stage piano, the RP 7f, but didn't like the action (or looks--it was on a rickety x stand), but was having fun with all the features. In our humble opinions,we both thought that at that price range, the new Kawai sound and action definitelybeat both Roland and yamaha.)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1811578 - 12/24/11 01:20 AM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: Fun2Learn]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Fun2Learn
He did say that you can buy an inexpensive box that generates different sounds, and attach it to the CN 33 piano,if we should ever feel like she needed more sounds. IS anyone familiar with that?..

Today that "box" is a computer. I assume she must have one, or can get one. A tone generator is "so 1980s" Assuming you have a computer you get far better sound at lower cost and also the ability to edit and over dub and muti-track and on and on. Almost ALL recorded music today is recorded and mixed on computers. Any of the extra non-piano features are arguably better done on a computer.

Stage pianos are typically set up so that features can be accessed fast. You don't want to be "head down" in a muti-level menu system on stage. So they have a physical button for what you need. Stage piano user interfaces are typically much better than home piano.

As for feature, software far and away can have more and I think the user interface can be even better. A console piano with a Macbook on top is a powerful setup.
There is lots of software to choose from but if you have an Apple Mac, it is already installed and ready to use. The link below explains what can be done. With effort and some $$ the same can be done with a PC
http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/what-is.html#make

Funny how people see cosmetics different. I see a console type digital piano and it says "fake piano" or "ikea-like quality" the MP6 does not look fake or cheap. it says loudly "I'm a digital keyboard".

But it don't matter what I think or you. Buy here the one she LIKES. She will practice more if she just happens to like the piano. That is what matters.

I think I'm arguing for the console even if I'd prefer the MP6.

#1811614 - 12/24/11 03:28 AM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: Fun2Learn]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
"...which she actually hasn't played".

Are you kidding? Make sure she plays it first, then decide between the two.

#1811680 - 12/24/11 08:06 AM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: Fun2Learn]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
No internal speakers on the MP6, so you will have to buy a keyboard amp or studio speakers. If you buy a keyboard amp you'll have mono sound with only one.

A friend bought an MP6 and he was not happy with the sound. He used some high quality studio monitors but to him it did not sound as good as the ES6. He is selling the MP6 now. To each his own I guess.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com

#1811724 - 12/24/11 09:53 AM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: Ken Knapp]
Fun2Learn Offline

Wow-- very interesting about Ken's friend not liking the sound of the MP6 with some powerful speakers compared to the ES6, with presumably smaller built-in speakers. They both use the same sound generating "Harmonic imaging" system, right? Maybe there is an advantage to built-in speakers. (I know my daughter would prefer them built-in looks-wise.) The Es6 uses the older action, right? Is the difference in actions really noticable? I noticed that the Es6 has rythyms, which the MP 6 doesn't. Maybe that would be useful to the average player.
I would assume that since the CN33 has the same sound and action as the MP6 that they would feel and sound the same? Maybe that is a misconception? Thanks.

#1811729 - 12/24/11 09:58 AM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: ChrisA]
Fun2Learn Offline

Thanks, Chris A for explaining what the salesman meant by the "box" and about using the computer to get those extra sounds. The salesman was probably in his 60's (a retired music teacher)-- so that probably explains why he was talking about 80's technology!

#1811754 - 12/24/11 11:03 AM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: Fun2Learn]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
The MP6 default piano sound is newer than the ES6's, and uses a (presumably) more advanced version of HI (PHI), as well as 88-note sampling and new samples. It does sound quite different, and is a matter of taste as to which you might prefer - I initially did not care much for the newer samples. However, the MP6 also contains the older HI sounds as well. The action on the MP6 is newer and, IMO, better.

Edited by voxpops (12/24/11 11:05 AM)

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1811790 - 12/24/11 12:13 PM Re: Would we be crazy to get a Kawai CN 33 instead of an MP 6 ? [Re: Fun2Learn]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: voxpops

I would assume that since the CN33 has the same sound and action as the MP6 that they would feel and sound the same? Maybe that is a misconception? Thanks.

Yes, that's a misconception.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, acortot, 36251, 38 invisible), 1953 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156098 Topics
2292254 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wurlitzer electric piano sound
by 88 Fingers Jeff
Today at 01:24 PM
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
by Piano World
Today at 01:05 PM
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
Today at 12:25 PM
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
Today at 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
Today at 11:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission