2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 147 of 540 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
CebuKid, welcome back! I've dropped out before, so I know how wonderful it can be to return to the bench with energy and excitement.

PaperClip, congratulations on completing your cookery school program — and welcome back to PW! Your teacher sounds wonderful.

FarmGirl, great to hear of your continued progress.

Cas, fantastic to hear that your lessons with your new teacher are going so well. The right person can be so motivating!

My accomplishment this week is mostly mental. It comes down to focusing on the details of timing and dynamics during my practice *and* while playing during my lessons. After some rather sloppy playing in front of my teacher yesterday, I realized how much I'm impeding my own progress. So I'll be working on focus and consistency over the next two weeks at home and through my next lesson. We'll see how it goes. smile

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
B
B

Greetings everyone... it's been a long time since I've posted. It's good to come back and read how you are all doing...

I've been practicing less the last few months (because of... life), and dropped lessons altogether since my teacher's health went bad and is off in a care facility, probably for good. But, I never stopped practicing (nearly daily, even if for only 15 minutes)... I've managed to polish Schumann's "Happy Farmer Returning from Work" and learn and almost polish his "Wild Horseman". (Note: by "polish" I mean "can play through at speed with few errors but probably lacking a lot in the finer points". smile

Now I'm working on Fur Elise, which I can finally play through with some (serious) hiccups, but I've got it all memorized and roughly under the fingers... It's really fun to work on, but I'm sure it'll be months before it's fluid.

These were all things that my teacher had started me on, given me the fingering for... soon I'll be starting off into the unknown and begin a piece without "supervision". smile I think this is healthy for me, and that I'll be happy without lessons for a while, which is why I haven't tried to find a new teacher. Not having that weekly session both motivating practice and giving rapid feedback certainly has made my progress slower... but I don't feel it's made the journey less enjoyable, yet.

And FarmGirl, I'm jealous of the Arizonian's who get to go to your piano party - sounds like a blast!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cad and Pianodeb
Thank you for the kind words

Bessel - I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you are back.

My piano party update - it will be in Jan 2013. I wanted have in Nov but was advised to avoid year-end social seasons. I have 4 piano world forum members including myself and my teacher who has DMA & teaches at a comm college. I also have two friend who play the piano. So that'll be 7 pianists:). I'm very happy about it. If you are going to come to AZ for sun, let me know. We still have some room. It will be a great night for music, food, drinks and conversation. I will put a formal post as soon as I confirm the date.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I feel on cloud nine with renewed enthusiasm !

[Linked Image]

It is nice to see you back on track, C. I have a feeling you are really going to flourish with this new teacher.

Meanwhile, I've had a few frustrating weeks where I can't seem to get much done despite putting in the normal hours. I was beating myself up a bit till I realized that I've got three pieces going that are all at least somewhat above what I would call "my level" (whatever that is). Anyway, I'm trying to be kinder and gentler with myself this week, as well as narrowing the focus of my practice each day. Seems to be working so far.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
I was finally able to finish learning "Words Left Unsaid" by David Nevue. I'm self-taught and only have a little over a year under my belt, first 6 months of which I hardly played at all.

I remember listening to this song a few weeks ago and thinking it'd be ages before I learned it. It ain't perfect yet, but it's getting there.
Now to move on to trying to finish learning "Monday" by Ludovico >_<

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's been too long since I've checked in here! Work has been very busy, and my daughter just made a big move to Austin, TX. *sob* I've managed to keep up with practicing every day, but haven't been able to keep up with PW. So it's so nice to see everyone's accomplishments again.

FarmGirl, a piano party sounds like so much fun. I thought that if Arizona were close to Texas, I could fit in a trip to your party while visiting my daughter. But I just looked at a map. frown The Southwest is a pretty big area, isn't it? You'll love Chopin 10/3! I worked on that last year, and I remember thinking that it was the most difficult but most interesting piece I had ever played.

PaperClip, congratulation on finishing up school! It must feel great to have accomplished that. And now you can get back to piano again!

Cas, I'm so happy for you, that having a new teacher is building your enthusiasm. It's good to hear your excitement again. Did you say he is a conductor too? That must provide an additional dimension to his teaching, which perhaps you are noticing.

Bessel, maybe we should have an Ohio piano party! BTW, if you ever go back to wanting a teacher, I have a recommendation for a great one in the Cleveland area.

I have a couple achievements from this past week. I wrapped up the Bach 3-part invention that I had been working on, and we've picked out another to start on. I'm actually enthusiastic about learning more Bach now. Fur Elise is memorized without much sweat and tears, so maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this memorization stuff. Still working on expression with this one, and trying to "play outside the box". My teacher and I have had a few interesting discussions about this process along the way. The Chopin Waltz (C# minor) is coming along slowly (literally). The goal for this week is to work on bringing the tempo up. I continue to enjoy it all.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IreneAdler
My enlightened moment was yesterday. I sat down to practice "Moonlight" and was treated to a glorious full moon right out the window to my left.
Now after two months of practice the piece it sounding like a whole piece not simply measures 8-32 sounding good, but wonderously whole. I was playing it from the begining and the sound was so bewitching I was entranced by it and I lost my focus around the 38th measure and missed the next note, came back to reality. At that momemt all those hours spent working on a single measure, attempting to understand it, was worth a thousand times over...

Awesome!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
You are doing well with your playing learning Chopin and Rameau.
How long have you been playing the piano?

I taught myself as a teen, but just playing from fake books and the like. That was a few decades ago. 2 1/2 years ago I decided to improve and wanted to play classical pieces so I started lessons. So I had a running start at it.

I couldn't get on that well on my own- I really value having a teacher. What's a fake book? Heard the term but don't know what it means.

L
L
JimF, I think that's a great point about being kinder to ourselves. It's been a terribly busy week for me with my mom visiting from Florida, restarting choir and singing lessons, working full time, and trying to get some piano in. (I have managed to continue practicing daily but I've had a couple of literal 5 minute practice sessions.)

I either need less sleep or more hours in the day.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Edwardian - It's nice to have someone to play with. I think you will be recording a duet very soon

Oh not yet FarmGirl- I am nowhere near grade one as yet! But one day...

I am rather excited because I was listening to Rule The World by Take That but the version by Jonathan and Charlotte (operatic duo) sung in Italian and I suddenly "saw" my piano's keys and saw B and B major. I had a look online for the chords and keys (only could see guitar...) and I was right. Not even anywhere near my Piano cos I'm in bed on my netbook!
I might have a go learning the chords on Piano.
Normally I'd have to try the keys out on my Piano to find the notes/chords and now it seems I can find it in my head...

I am so excited..I went for 40 odd years not being much musical, but always loved music and longing to learn Piano and I feel as though something is bursting out of me which had been trapped inside, yearning for expression. Sounds mad I know!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/03/12 11:11 PM.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MaryBee, Happy birthday! I thought of you when I started planning for the party. Too bad we are so far apart. I still want to do the mozart duet someday with you. Do you have a wonderful bike trail in OH, then my husband may want to visit OH with me. Biking (bicycle) is his passion. It's funny you and me keep doing similar pieces! Interestingly, I struggle more with romantic pieces than Bach. How about you? I think I will have lots of struggle with Chopin 10-3. Again, I am so glad that I don't need to try Ballade #1. It would have been suicidal.

Bessel - I think Piano party in OH is a great idea.

Edwardian - Excellent discovery. You seem to have good ear. My awakening to music was late in my life as well. I was forced to take piano and violin lessons when I was young. Never appreciated it until I was close to 30. It was Chopin's music (cannot remember the name) that did it. I marvel at young people who seem to understand classical music at early age. Anyway, we have to start somewhere. I am glad I have music in my life now too.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Edwardian - Excellent discovery. You seem to have good ear. My awakening to music was late in my life as well. I was forced to take piano and violin lessons when I was young. Never appreciated it until I was close to 30. It was Chopin's music (cannot remember the name) that did it. I marvel at young people who seem to understand classical music at early age. Anyway, we have to start somewhere. I am glad I have music in my life now too.

Ah Chopin...dear Chopin- I disliked (most) classical music til I heard his music, then one day whilst volunteering at an art gallery, attending the art history training lectures, the lecturer was talking about art periods and music and mentioned Chopin's nocturnes.I was intrigued and went on you tube and...was blown away. What had I been missing all my life? It was like seeing in colour after a lifetime of seeing in black and white.
I listened spell bound and then started listening to other composers and went right off pop music with the exception of Sigur Ros who I adore. I don't mind the odd song like Rule The World but that is more for chord practise!
I even like opera now and used to hate that.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/04/12 12:37 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IreneAdler
My enlightened moment was yesterday. I sat down to practice "Moonlight" and was treated to a glorious full moon right out the window to my left.
How cool! Is it Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, or Debussy's Clair de Lune? Or is there yet another Moonlight piece?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
B
B
Originally Posted by MaryBee

Bessel, maybe we should have an Ohio piano party! BTW, if you ever go back to wanting a teacher, I have a recommendation for a great one in the Cleveland area.

Sounds like fun - and it even sounds like we could get FarmGirl here if we did it during biking season. smile

On the teacher front, even though I probably won't pursue it just yet I'd be quite happy to hear any recommendations... and not just for me but also potentially for my young boys. Please PM me with any names/evaluations!

B
B
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

Ah Chopin...dear Chopin- I disliked (most) classical music til I heard his music, then one day whilst volunteering at an art gallery, attending the art history training lectures, the lecturer was talking about art periods and music and mentioned Chopin's nocturnes.I was intrigued and went on you tube and...was blown away. What had I been missing all my life? It was like seeing in colour after a lifetime of seeing in black and white.
I listened spell bound and then started listening to other composers and went right off pop music with the exception of Sigur Ros who I adore. I don't mind the odd song like Rule The World but that is more for chord practise!
I even like opera now and used to hate that.

Add me to the list of people who realized they liked classical music late in life. Well, for me it's because there's a lot of classical music I don't like, but there's some that strikes really deeply. I had to run into that stuff, and frankly start playing piano, before I fell for it. I wonder if this is a common experience for adult piano starters or re-starters...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Possibly Bessel! Wonder how many of us go off pop music and into Classical. Having said that started listening to some of it aain for chord study and practise.

~MaryBee

By "Moonlight" I was refering to Beethoven's Piano Sonata no. 14. I should have specified which piece I was playing.

Last edited by IreneAdler; 10/04/12 05:55 PM.
D
D
A couple of weeks ago I played Elegie for my teacher and it was just one of those bad nights, and it truly was awful. To the point that he started talking about putting it on hold and starting an easier piece!
Well last night I played it for him again and it was good enough that he told me to start learning the next page. smile
I also played Clair de Lune for him last night, he hasn't heard that one for about six weeks now, due to circumstances, and was still under the impression that I was still learning it.
I've had it memorized for most of that time and have been trying to put as much polish on it as possible and he was very pleased.
He only recommended a handful of things to give it that little bit more polish.

It was a good night.

On a sadder note though, he also told me he was applying to four music schools back east, I only recognized Julliard, but I have no doubt he will be able to pick which school he wants to go to.
I'm happy for him, but that means next fall i'm losing my teacher. frown

Dave T.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well done Dave. Sorry to hear you may need a new teacher though.

T
T
My achievement this week was that I practiced an additional piece on my own and managed to play it reasonably in my lesson. I went on to the next book, which has now introduced some new things, so I am a bit like "oh my god there's an A?!" and the horror of different fingers playing different keys to what they did before. It's most unsettling, haha.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
Page 147 of 540 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission