2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mostly the Polonaise-Fantaisie and the 1st Scherzo these days. Both are beginning to feel very much "there". The secret to the Scherzo turned out to be playing most of it between p and mf!

-J

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Trying to wrap up Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, but the second movement fast part and half of the third movement are proving to be extremely tricky...

The development of the 2nd mvt is VERY annoying to learn, but after you put in all those painfully long hours, it will start to kind of "play itself"..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Trying to wrap up Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, but the second movement fast part and half of the third movement are proving to be extremely tricky...

The development of the 2nd mvt is VERY annoying to learn, but after you put in all those painfully long hours, it will start to kind of "play itself"..

Well, the part where the piano plays all of the nice melodies is fine, just the part that enters after that huge whirl up the keyboard including the cadenza is just ridiculous. The rest is comfortable, just requires shaping a loong loong melodic line that accompanies the woodwinds.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Well, the part where the piano plays all of the nice melodies is fine, just the part that enters after that huge whirl up the keyboard including the cadenza is just ridiculous. The rest is comfortable, just requires shaping a loong loong melodic line that accompanies the woodwinds.

Are you talking about the middle section, or after the climax of the middle section, or/and after the recap, so the coda?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Are you talking about the middle section, or after the climax of the middle section, or/and after the recap, so the coda?

After the climax, when the piano plays in quick sextuplets that almost sound like trills flying around is the tricky part. The rest seems manageable...

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I`m trying to get my head round some stuff I played in restaurants, and develop a unique style based not on skill, but making mistakes sound good . . . if you hit sufficient notes, some will invariably be correct.
Though maybe not in the correct order . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

After the climax, when the piano plays in quick sextuplets that almost sound like trills flying around is the tricky part. The rest seems manageable...

Yes! Very annoying to learn. Take your time with it!

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
This week's project: tightening up Beethoven 3rd and Stravinsky's Concerto for Piano and Winds. Both are somewhat unpianistic in their own ways!

Online Content
Originally Posted by Brendan
This week's project: tightening up Beethoven 3rd ...
Piano Concerto or Violin Sonata or ? I'm kind of assuming you mean his PC and, if so, do you have a performance coming up?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Scriabin's 10th.

Much of it is readable, but there are deep mysterious pits of complexity. I just spent a half hour on a particular ten measures, mostly working out the rhythms. Yikes.

-J

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I'm assuming you're talking about pg 32-34 here? I honestly hate learning those passages.. I find it such tedious work. (One of the reasons I never took a real stab at the Rach 3--lots of passages like this.) Fortunately for most of them, there is a repetitive pattern within the passages, and once you identify it, it becomes far easier to learn. Then you just practice the pattern and you have the passage, no matter where it goes on the keyboard. I think in this section, there are seven patterns, 6-7 individual beat-long breaks from the pattern (some are only a half-beat), and then a quick run at the end. Once you break it down, I think you'll find it much easier to get through. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mendelssohn's Andante Cantabile and Presto Agitato. 3hearts

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Learning Chopin's 9/3. Polishing a lot of stuff.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Now that Unsung III is all done, I'm playing through stuff to see what I want to work on next.

Obvious choice, the last three of the set of 12 Esquisses by Koechlin - they were, in fact, getting fairly far along before I ditched them to concentrate on the ones I did manage to upload. There were a couple of other things I started for Unsung III but dropped - a Bacewicz etude and a gavotte by Thuille. I think I'll keep working on them.

I have been having educational fun with Rach's arrangement of the MSND Scherzo, even though it's wildly beyond my reach. For some reason, I don't know why, it is teaching me how to relax, which has been a big issue for me. So I'm practicing it every day.

The A minor P&F from WTC II - it seems doable and is interesting. I may have learn it for real.

Other things I practiced in the last couple of days - some Clementi sonata movements, some chunks of Chopin op. 22, Rach prelude in G major from op. 32, Prokofiev's "Landscape" from his 3 pieces, op. 59 and the second of his op. 54 sonatinas (more and more, I'm liking some things from the more obscure corners of his oeuvre).

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by wr
......I have been having educational fun with Rach's arrangement of the MSND Scherzo, even though it's wildly beyond my reach. For some reason, I don't know why, it is teaching me how to relax, which has been a big issue for me. So I'm practicing it every day.......

Good for you. If I'm reading (into) this correctly - and calling into account my past experiences with similar pieces of difficulty - this piece will not be wildly beyond your reach for too long.

(Though I'm not sure of how to define "long." :))

Piano instruction and performance
prelude and fugue on a theme of Ponce.. it is fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDuUNAGZsw

especially the fugue.. pretty hard too. ok - I can't play the fugue no way, I can hardly play the prelude, but i can work on it and pretend I am a concert pianist.

pic coming soon.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
S
S
Chopin's Ocean Etude
Copland's Piano Variations
Bach's Prelude and fugue No. 4 in C# minor from the Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1
Mozart's Sonata No. 17 K570

Well then, I best get back to practicing.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
apple, just a quick note -- if anybody belongs in the Unsung Heroes event, it is Manuel Ponce! The compositions I've heard of his have all been written beautifully for the piano, and his conceptions sensitive and elegant.

Online Content
R.Strauss-Fiorentino:Waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiaz5R7N5g

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Well, for me, two categories:

Bach -- Partitas in G Maj and C Min, for a Bach Around the Clock event that MAY happen in 2013 in Madison, WI (the woman who started it left the area for greener pastures, so we'll see).

My "REALLY" contemporary program, for the 2013 Boston Amateur Competition. Several of the Boston "contingent" were in Chicago for the Chicago Amateur this past May, and I informed them of my intention to foist...uh, present this literature to my adoring public. I say REALLY contemporary, incidentally, as a reaction to the fact that at the Colorado Competition several years back, I won prizes for the best "Contemporary" selections: but these were pieces drawn from the American piano literature of 1930 - 55; i.e., now 60 - 80 years old!

First round:

John Harbison -- On an Unwritten Letter (1999)
Milton Babbitt -- The Old Order Changeth (1999)**
Paul Schoenfield -- Boogie, from Peccadillos (1997)

**In memoriam; I really have no business trying to play him!

SemiFinal round:

Augusta Read Thomas -- Fire Walts (Homage to Bartok) (2003), or
Joan Tower -- Holding a Daisy (1996)
Katherine Hoover -- Toccata (2011)
Libby Larson -- Mephisto Rag (2003), or
Judith Zaimont -- Wizards - Three Magical Masters (2004)

Final round -- really up for grabs (I'll never get that far, anyway):

Steven Paulus -- Sprightly, and Rollicking, from Five Preludes for Piano (1993)
Richard Danielpour -- Elegy, from Enchanted Garden II (2008)
and Night, from Enchanted Garden I (1993)
Lowell Liebermann -- Nocturne No 8 (2004)
Michael Torke -- Blue Pacific (2006)

I've been working heavily on these over this past year, among others written over the past 20 years or so -- but this is the final cut! Obviously, not much time for anything else, although I do plan to dust off a few more, uh, contemporary American pieces from the 30s through the 50s for next year's Unsung Heroes (if there is one, of course).

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission