Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1813157 - 12/27/11 01:59 PM Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed
Benjamin86 Offline

hey folks!
i own a yamaha u1 (actually mc10b1) but it has no silent system. my neighbors got set up about how loud it is. since then i dont feel right when i play piano, i always must think of the angry neighbors.

my dealer said, a silent system costs 2000€. i guess its one of the pianodisk systems.

my question is, is it a good idea to build a silent system in a 20 years old yamaha u1? ive heared that the touch of the keys IN NORMAL ACOUTSTIC MODE is differently (worse) after the system has been installed. is that true? i like this piano much and i dont want to do negative changes to it.

and what about the sound? any experiences with that? i sometimes read i should buy a piano where the silent system is already built in. will this be the better choice?

advice please, thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1813262 - 12/27/11 05:30 PM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Benjamin,

I would personally never consider a retrofit.

If you have the space for it buying supplmentary a quality digital would be an option for playing at hours that do not suit the neighbours (knowing that each time - in terms of touch - you will also have to adopt when going back and forth from digital to acoustic piano).

If the influence on the touch feel when playing in acoustcic mode on a silent piano is your main concern then I did not find any better system today than Yamaha's factory fitted SG silent system with their 'Quick Escape Mechanism' that automatically sets back the let-off in it's optimal position when switching back to acoustic mode.

schwammerl.

#1814920 - 12/30/11 12:50 AM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
Benjamin86 Offline

thanks schwammerl.

i already own a highclass digital piano, but there is still a huge difference between the digital and the acoustic in terms of touch and sound, just like you described. what i mean is to play on a real acoustic is MUCH more enjoyable than on ANY dp. i tried a new silent yamaha u1 a year ago and i thought it was good, but very pricey. on ebay ive seen a 1980 u1 with original yamaha silent system. how is that possible? i mean in the 80s im not sure if there was silent system technique already or do you think this is a retrofit, too? old piano, new silent system?

heres the link: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-U1-Silent-...=item53eab85fe0

#1814942 - 12/30/11 02:46 AM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Benjamin,

I found some historical data on the internet saying Yamaha introduced the first silent pianos in 1993.

So I doubt the U1 from 1980 can have an original Yamaha silent system and that it is indeed a retrofit.
Whatever the system it will not be as performant as the new Yamaha systems and as a piano the instrument is 30 years+ of age, i.e. a careful check before buying would be required although the seller, Klavierhalle in Germany, seems to have a good reputaion from what I read.

However I am neighter a Yamaha dealer not a historician.

Should Chris Venables, a dealer forum member, not chime in here, you could always send him a PM (look for ChrisVenables in the member list).

schwammerl.

#1814974 - 12/30/11 05:40 AM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Hi Benjamin,

I assume you are in Europe and I do not know about distribution there, but here in the US there are two retrofit systems that work quite well, one by QRS and one by PianoDisc. They will both change the action very slightly when in use because the hammer strike (the actual strike will feel the same to you) happens millimeters sooner (which will feel a tiny bit different to you).

Play a piano with a MagicStar system installed in it and you will see what I am referring to quickly. I doubt that the small change in an upright would bother you, but a pianist who works on the regulation and voicing of their grand piano and likes it "just so" could be disappointed by that.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1815005 - 12/30/11 07:50 AM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: schwammerl]
ChrisVenables Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hampshire, England
Originally Posted By: schwammerl
Benjamin,

I found some historical data on the internet saying Yamaha introduced the first silent pianos in 1993.

So I doubt the U1 from 1980 can have an original Yamaha silent system and that it is indeed a retrofit.
Whatever the system it will not be as performant as the new Yamaha systems and as a piano the instrument is 30 years+ of age, i.e. a careful check before buying would be required although the seller, Klavierhalle in Germany, seems to have a good reputaion from what I read................

schwammerl.

Benjamin, Schwammerl gives good advice. I would endorse what he said and I'd recommend all customers to get as much info as they can from the dealer first - if he is reluctant to divulge, then find a dealer who will.

This is a weird one. Your link to the pics of this 1980 U1 show the piano as having at least the Yamaha shank-stopper rail, but the pics don't show the switch box clearly enough to identify that component. Yet, as confirmed by Schwammerl, the first Yamaha Silents in Europe were introduced around 1994 with the MP80. A 110cm piano with no hammer sensor and midi out only, followed later the same year with the MP100, (old U1 type at 121cm) again no hammer sensor and midi out only. In 1995/6 they upgraded these by adding midi in and aux in and aux out. The MP1 came out in 1998/9 based on the freshly designed much improved new U1, was improved again (electronically) in 2002 by the introduction of the MP1Z with new key sensors, shank-stopper rail and a 16MB tone generator. The U1, as a piano, hasn't changed since then, although the even better SG system was introduced into the upright models P, U and YUS series first in 2007/8.

There is a slight compromise to the touch, normally only noticeable when playing very softly or trilling softly, as the set-off (jack escapement) has to be around 6mm from the string whereas it's normally 2-3mm on a non silent model. (Only applies to upright Yamaha models.)

If you liked the new U1SG you tried, but thought it too pricey, why not take a look at the new P121SG? It's based on the new U1 design but with a German soundboard. In my view even better than the new U1 and which would probably only cost you 2,000 Euros more than the 30 year old U1.

Another option (if you don't need midi) is the B3 silent ( also based on the new designed U1, but with a laminated board, but still sounds way better than a 30 year old U1) which I think you could find for around 500 Euros more than the old U1. The B series silent uses the same sensor system and AWM stereo samples, but only one piano sound. The SG has recording, 30MB memory rather than 15MB, 50 demo songs and Midi and aux in and out.

A tip if you're trying the B3 Silent sound sample against the SG - use the same high quality headphones on both pianos, as the B series headphones are tacky.

#1815222 - 12/30/11 01:54 PM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
Benjamin86 Offline

ill try the p121 sg, though its still a bit pricy, cause here in germany, its around 8000€. i was looking for a piano around 6000€. a year ago i played the b3, but wasnt impressed with the sound. but ill give it another chance and listen again. will take a look at the kawai k3, too. what i will not do, is buy the old u1 over the internet, cause i have to play it before i buy it. maybe i get the chance to play a retrofit magicstar as well. we´ll see what my dealer has got.

Edited by Benjamin86 (12/30/11 01:54 PM)

#1815427 - 12/30/11 06:28 PM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
There are other options available but it would entail selling your piano and buying a hybrid. You'd save the difference either sooner or later based on how many times per year you have your present piano tuned. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1815744 - 12/31/11 04:19 AM Re: Yamaha U1 - SIlent system needed [Re: Benjamin86]
ChrisVenables Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hampshire, England
Benjamin, I believe Yamaha in Germany are offering a subsidised 'upgrade bonus' scheme, (ends mid to end of January I think) which should give you another 500-600 Euros part exchange.

The K3 is a nice piano too and worth comparing against the P121.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (aesop, accordeur, Almaviva, 36251, 36 invisible), 1410 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156850 Topics
2304668 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet music question
by Coconutyoghurt
1 minute 51 seconds ago
Smelly MP11 (or MP7)?
by rungabic
8 minutes 21 seconds ago
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
38 minutes 27 seconds ago
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
56 minutes 53 seconds ago
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
Today at 08:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission