2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's a test recording of the Nord Piano 88 - OS 1.44, Grand Lady D 5.3.

I did have to tweak it because it didn't have the proper EQ on my headphones so I added lows and mids. These have a significant effect on tone I might add. Listening to the recording, I may have overdone the EQ (too much mids). It sounds different from headphones.

My Romance
http://www.box.com/s/2jc0600qcp5q68hdu75n

I wanted to do a combo recording with a backing track but I couldn't mix it in easily. I need new cables to accomplish that so that'll be a later project.

There's also some slight buzzing. I'm recording direct from NP 88 to Zoom H4. Then I'm monitoring from Zoom headphones.

As far as feel, I felt like I had easy control of dynamics for example between LH and RH (for a DP). The sound had the fullness no matter how hard I play.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

F
F
Very nice playing.
I am pleasantly surprised by the piano sound you are using.
It reminds me of the tone Keith Jarrett manages to get out of his pianos.
I have been trying to find a digital piano that would come close to that sound and this one seems to get there or close to it.
I can't help wondering if that sound is as good when you play live or out of speakers/amplifiers ?

Thanks for the nice piece of music.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
filipi, thanks! I said the same thing in another thread. The tone is like a "Keith Jarrett" tone. So impossible to duplicate on a real piano but easy on the Nord! smile And it doesn't matter what dynamics I use, it still has that pretty sound all the time.

My Jazz Blog

J
J
I hope mine sounds that good !

Baldwin L - Rhodes 73
Yamaha P250 - Nord NP88
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I would agree with you that the EQ boost needs to be backed off a notch or two. There's a very pleasing overall tone that gets covered up at moments by a boxy-sounding mix midrange emphasis.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds very good. You can really hear the detail in the string and sympathetic resonance. Nord has done such an amazing job capturing those nuances. Are you also using the Long Release feature which I feel does add some to the overall sound, particularly for solo work like this.

As for your playing, very nicely done! I've gone back and forth as to whether I like the Grand Lady Steinway or not, but your mix and playing makes me want to explore it further.

Last edited by ZacharyForbes; 12/28/11 11:14 AM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
ZF,

From the original post I'd venture a guess it just might be called "My Romance"! thumb

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Good sound JW...glad to see you got it going.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H
I would agree with you that the EQ boost needs to be backed off a notch or two. There's a very pleasing overall tone that gets covered up at moments by a boxy-sounding mix midrange emphasis.

The good news is that there's amazing EQ control here. I couldn't believe the amount of tonal variation I got with that mid-sweep thing.

I didn't try to tweak this or try to re-record multiple times. I just plugged this in and played once. So I'm sure I'll get better tone and better playing too as I figure it out.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Sounds very good. You can really hear the detail in the string and sympathetic resonance. Nord has done such an amazing job capturing those nuances. Are you also using the Long Release feature which I feel does add some to the overall sound, particularly for solo work like this.

As for your playing, very nicely done! I've gone back and forth as to whether I like the Grand Lady Steinway or not, but your mix and playing makes me want to explore it further.

I have the Grand Lady D and the Bosie loaded. I switch back and forth and I'm gravitating more to the D. But this may also be a function of the EQ tweak. So I reserve the right to change my mind smile

My Jazz Blog

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes it's back and forth between these two, isn't it? (Same here.)

Nice recording, jazzwee. As to the EQ: For some purposes the Lady D may even sound interesting if the low mids are taken back somewhat (using gain -3 at 600Hz or so, with some boost in bass and treble). That's what I experimented with recently... wouldn't sound well with the Bösendorfer though; this one can take some midtone boost, to my ears at least.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I seem to be the only person who prefers the Yamaha studio 2 sound. It sounds somehow cleaner and slightly more cutting than the others. I do like the Bosie as well for solo playing.
Anyway here is a demo I did with the Yamaha studio 2 sound on my nord stage 2.

http://soundcloud.com/david-beebee/em-braceable-nord-stage-2mp-3

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I like Studio Grand 2 as well. Not instantly impressive perhaps but when you dig down into it there is a real sense of dynamics with it. Personally I'm not fond of Grand Lady D but I don't think I could convincingly explain why. I like the Bosie although it can be a bit nasal in the upper mids but it is one massive piano! With these three pianos there is genuine variety on the Nord Piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beeboss that sounds fantastic. I'm with you. My ears have always preferred the Studio Grand 2 C7 in both recording and live settings. I use the Bright Grand S4 Yamaha for live when I'm really needing to cut through.

What settings did you have on your recording? EQ?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, Beeboss, I'm interested in the EQ setting for C7. It just sounds so bright to me when I listen to it but it sounds really good in that recording. Or maybe it's just your playing. You could probably make an out of tune upright sound good.

Maurus, I'm going to check out your EQ setting too. Looks like that's the thing to tweak here.

I might try a different sample for a band recording I might do later.

In general though, all the samples still sound better to my ears than anything else I've played.

My Jazz Blog

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
jazzwee - just listened to your recording. I agree the mids need a tweak. Nice playing! You know that this recording is mono don't you? It would sound 1000% better in stereo.

Steve

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee

In general though, all the samples still sound better to my ears than anything else I've played.

Totally agree! There's nothing else remotely interesting to me in one package compared to the Nords, particularly the Nord Piano. I wonder when the Nord Piano 2 is coming...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by EssBrace
You know that this recording is mono don't you? It would sound 1000% better in stereo.

Steve

I did a quick listen, but lost interest as soon as I realized it was in mono. Gotta be stereo for us studio freaks!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes

Totally agree! There's nothing else remotely interesting to me in one package compared to the Nords, particularly the Nord Piano. I wonder when the Nord Piano 2 is coming...

I would not expect any announcement for this Winter NAMM. So, perhaps a year from now, minimum? More likely, two years. Only the bean counters will know for sure!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Yes, Beeboss, I'm interested in the EQ setting for C7. It just sounds so bright to me when I listen to it but it sounds really good in that recording.

Sorry I can't remember what it was, I usually just twiddle the eq until it sounds right and this changes depending on the acoustics and the monitoring. Often I use a small treble cut and a small bass boost. On that occasion it went through a small mixing desk so maybe I twiddled the eq on there as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission