2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thanks, CMohr, for the acknowledgement on Softly As In A Morning Sunrise. It was the only tune I played with any regularity when I was only able to steal bits of time at the keyboard, so I thought I'd do another take on it now that I am getting a bit stronger - so glad you liked it!

Studio Joe ~ Blue Velvet...Great to see you back at the Piano Bar! That was a fantastic arrangement of Blue Velvet. I look forward to hearing more of your music.

ladypayne ~ Home...I'd not heard of David Nevue until I heard you play some of his arrangements. This is a beautiful piece you played so very nicely!

Elssa ~ Tara's Theme...great rendition of this piece in your style. I really like this tune.

BrentH ~ Misty...Erroll Garner is one of my favorite pianists. You did this piece justice.
Bewitched...you did a wondeful job with this tune. It is a beauty.

MaryAnn ~ I enjoyed your Bach very much - I had to listen/watch at home, because FaceBook is blocked from this location.Welcome to the Piano Bar!!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
ah, shoot. i couldn't think of where else to post it first before embedding it here. I didn't want to brave youtube.

p.s. I've made it public on fb. I hope that helps at least fb users.
If you upload to youtube you can choose to make the video public(everybody) or private (only "frinds" on YT), or to have it only viewable with the link. If you did the link option people reading the forum would be able to view it by the link here in the thread but it would not be searchable on youtube or up for viewing on your channel page.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
MaryAnn - Sorry I can't access your piece. I really would like to hear it. I don't do facebook, so maybe that's the reason. But congrats on submitting!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Brent H - Like Trapper John I am also a big fan of songs from the Great American Songbook. I really enjoyed listening to your take on these classics. I think that these songs sound better when you free yourself to interpret the phrasing and dynamics and play what feels right.

I also look forward to more from you. Keep 'em coming.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Brent H
I had my first piano lesson in 36 years a couple days ago and here are the first two songs we're going to work on. The first is "Misty" by Errol Garner which I think is approaching the general neighborhood of being ready:

http://soundcloud.com/brent-hutto/misty

OK, the "Misty" recording as well as the two "Bewitched" versions were recorded with a single microphone inside the piano, mono recordings. Now I've acquired a second microphone which I placed underneath the piano pointing up at the belly of the soundboard.

http://soundcloud.com/brent-hutto/the-shadow-of-your-smile

This is a tune I've just started learning in earnest the last two days. So the first 65 seconds or so (long intro) has several places where I just totally got lost. You might want to skip forward about a minute and let me know how you like the "stereo" recording.

The reason I put that in quotes is it's not really recording left-right so there's not a coherent stereo image. The underneath microphone is panned left and the inside microphone slightly to the right which gives some space but doesn't really localize anything.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Very nice, Brent. You are doing great. The microphone placement works quite well - good separation across the register for a decent stereo effect! A good tuning will make a huge difference in the sound, too.

Once you find a way to maintain a consistent tempo (my achilles heel, too), you will be well on your way with this fabulous standard. Thanks for your music - good work!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Part of my problem on the intro was just getting losing my orientation on the keyboard. But in my piano lesson this afternoon I'm going to ask for help with finding a feel for it. The intro is marked "In Two" while the actual tune is "In Four". I can't for the life of me hear or play anything like a feel of two on that intro and it kind of hangs me up.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Just tap your foot and follow the notes to the beat (yes, easier said than done). Once you get the music better under your fingers, you will find yourself not thinking about it as much. You are doing great, Brent.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Maybe I'll change my .sig line to "Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping"! Actually, that's not bad advice for life in general.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I like that, Brent - glad to help out. If you've got a metronome of some type, it can help with the discipline of keeping time. It is one of many New Years resolutions (make correct changes in time). Another good goal of mine is to focus more on the music rather than the notes. It's a bear, no doubt.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
L
OP Offline
L
Here's another song from me. This one is from the newer Peter Pan movie that was made in 2003. Song is called Flying. Enjoy!

http://www.box.com/s/c41a0pn6kg84uodzbjuq

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
That was fantastic! So many things going on, lots of twists and turns. It sounds like you were enjoying playing it - I sure enjoyed listening!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
ladypayne - nicely played. You just improving smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
M
Nice work, Ladypayne! The starting theme has a soaring feeling to it. The other parts make me imagine shots of various places as they fly over them.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Brent - You have a great start on "Shadow of Your Smile". I really liked this. I relistened to "Bewitched" and the second mike on "Shadow" really gives a fuller sound. Much nicer recording. (You have a couple serious mikes there!)

LadyPayne Wonderful! I think I heard Tinker Bell, the lost boys and pirates and indians all in there! What a fun listen!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Now that I am slowly ramping up, being able to practice again, here is a piece by Massenet (for cello and voice) that is slowly getting under my fingers and very short improvisation Ideas in F (causes some foot tapping, maybe) based in part on Good Morning Heartache.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I love that Massenet piece, just the thing for a drizzly Friday afternoon!

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glen,

One of the nicest things about PW is getting introduced to new music and composers. If I'd heard of Massenet before, the context escapes me. What a nice little dark morsel that piece is..........does it have a name?(edit: oops, I see its Elegie) Looks like good left hand independence practice work too. Loved your dynamics.

Jim

Last edited by JimF; 01/20/12 07:00 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ladypayne - What an interesting and well played piece. Loved it.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Inlanding - Élégie - Massenet - An elegant performance of this lovely piece. Well done.

Ideas in F - some very good ideas. The first idea was more playful - the second a little more uptown.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission