2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1816154 12/31/11 09:43 PM
K
kdi Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have a six year old Yamaha P90 stage piano that I bought new. After about a year the B just below middle C would very occasionally stick or more accurately require more effort to push down than the other keys. Now other keys are exhibiting the same behavior on a more regular basis. It also seems to occur generally on keys below middle C.

I gave this piano to my grand daughter several years ago. When we visited over Xmas and I sat down to play it was clear that something needs done. Can anyone offer a guess as to what the problem may be before I track down an authorized repair facility.

Thanks. kdi

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had the same issue with a YDP-113 that probably had the same action. I took the whole thing apart and didn't find anything visibly wrong, so I don't think I'd go the "exploratory surgery" route. It's possible that it needs a re-lube, but it could be other things as well. Seems like I heard that hairline cracks in the keys themselves can cause this problem. I never worked out my YDP's issues because I sold it "as-is" a few months later.

Since the piano is no longer under warranty, there wouldn't be any harm in asking a tech what the problem might be. Maybe something you could fix, maybe not, but it would be good to know beforehand.

Come to think of it, a friend just bought a P-80 with the intention of retrofitting it in to an old birdcage upright cabinet, and it has the same issue. It's a very slight problem and only a player who knows how it's supposed to feel will notice it, but I would say that given this and my previous experiences, it's not that uncommon of a problem.

Les C Deal

S
S
i had the same problem with my p250 - if you call Yamaha it should be under warranty. They may replace the whole keybed (which WILL change the feel) or they will send you a replacement key. You will have to pay labor, but the parts should be free. It is deteriorating plastic on the white keys.

Last edited by mitzysman; 01/01/12 10:09 AM.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
K
kdi Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks to all for the info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission