Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1801858 - 12/07/11 06:50 AM Whatever Happened to Alfred?
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
The last post in the long running Alfred 3 thread was back in Aug. - and the even longer running and more frequently posted Alfred 1 & 2 threads have been conspicuous more by their absence than anything else recently - whats up with this MIA status? Have they been banished for crimes & misdemeanors against the finer sensibilities of our more delicate members, or have they just died a natural death due largely to lack of interest?

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1801876 - 12/07/11 07:46 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Everyone finished - great job! wink

Kawai K3

#1801901 - 12/07/11 08:44 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
In my case, interest is definitely there, progress has hit a road block. Book 1 still has several newbies, although it's not as active as it used to be. Many of my fellow Book 2-ers have gotten more interested in finding regular repertoire and only dip into Book 2 occasionally. And it looks like everyone from Book 3 must have either graduated or moved on to bigger things.

I miss reading the threads too, but between eye trouble and lagging progress, I haven't been posting much. Hopefully that will change soon.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1801958 - 12/07/11 10:29 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: mom3gram]
Leon Shuffle Offline

I got up to the Star-Spangled Banner in book 3, got a bit frustrated with it, and then moved on to other things. Mainly, I downloaded the sheet music for Tom Waits' "Martha" (one of my favorites) and I've been working on that.

#1801964 - 12/07/11 10:36 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
LisaE Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
I did all of book 1 and most of book 2, but my present teacher is not happy with going through the book methodically and has been choosing a few pieces here and there while supplementing with repertoire and getting me working on RCM exams. I've done only a couple of pieces from Book 3 but she really dislikes the book and I have to say I agree. Not a lot of interesting pieces and seems to me to be kind of a big jump in difficulty from book 2 (but that may just be my own ineptitude). She's going to have a look and see what else she can find to replace it.

#1801967 - 12/07/11 10:41 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
And whatever happened to Mark..., the founder and chief promotional agent for the Alfred threads?

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1802013 - 12/07/11 12:01 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
For me it was finding more interesting and better sounding works to learn from like Burgmüller 100, Anna Magdalena notebook,Clementi 36.

I continue to review the Alfred books for music theory and am gradually learning the pieces at the end of book 3.

#1802045 - 12/07/11 01:14 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

because book 2 is too boring for me personally. i dunno about book 3 i look forward to it though if i can get thru the end of the back of book 2 hahahahahhaha LOL

#1802046 - 12/07/11 01:16 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: Andy Platt]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Everyone finished - great job! wink

LOL

#1802047 - 12/07/11 01:16 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: mom3gram]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
In my case, interest is definitely there, progress has hit a road block. Book 1 still has several newbies, although it's not as active as it used to be. Many of my fellow Book 2-ers have gotten more interested in finding regular repertoire and only dip into Book 2 occasionally. And it looks like everyone from Book 3 must have either graduated or moved on to bigger things.

I miss reading the threads too, but between eye trouble and lagging progress, I haven't been posting much. Hopefully that will change soon.

thumb

#1802118 - 12/07/11 03:26 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
I'm still slowly making my way through. I'm about 2/3 through it and at the rate I have been going it will be mid-summer next year before I finish. That will have been about 2 years for me. Definitely not the length of time I had hoped but it is what it is. I am slow.

I stopped posting in the thread because the only thing I had to offer was what I was working on and how my lesson went. It got repetitious and I didn't want to keep boring people.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1802184 - 12/07/11 05:28 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
DougF, it isn't boring to hear how you're doing.

I quit book #2, and I can sum it up in one word. Blah. I did love the progression of book #1.
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1802221 - 12/07/11 06:24 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Alfred's 2 has great things to learn -- but it is terminally boring. They could easily replace those dog-tired songs with new-age material that would accomplish the same pedagogical task. After two years of fairly productive self-teaching with Alfred's, I got a teacher who gives me assignments I want to play (Mannfred Schmitz - Beethoven Sonata in G 2d Movement, etc.)

I don't think I'll go back, but I respect the Alfred's program and it did a lot for me.

#1802410 - 12/08/11 02:01 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
I just received book 1 in the mail, so i'll be posting in that thread soon, probably. Trying to learn Bach's Minuet in G has been so fun that I think I'll always have a classical piece (or two) going on the side in addition to the lesson books.

#1802431 - 12/08/11 03:55 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
I am in book 1 of All-In_One. Other sources are Gil DeBennedetti web page, "Alfred Merry Christmas Book" (now at Christmas", "Alfred All Times Favorites", http://www.makingmusicfun.net/.

#1803130 - 12/09/11 09:15 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
I thought Book 2 was fairly boring with a few exceptions and Book 3 is even worse to me until the "ambitious" section. I'll be posting in the Book 3 thread real soon.

#1803232 - 12/09/11 12:42 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: jrcallan]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jrcallan
Alfred's 2 has great things to learn -- but it is terminally boring. They could easily replace those dog-tired songs with new-age material that would accomplish the same pedagogical task. After two years of fairly productive self-teaching with Alfred's, I got a teacher who gives me assignments I want to play (Mannfred Schmitz - Beethoven Sonata in G 2d Movement, etc.)

I don't think I'll go back, but I respect the Alfred's program and it did a lot for me.

thumb Somebody PapaPLEASE tell me book 3 isn't anything like Book 2...LOL

#1803242 - 12/09/11 12:56 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Tararex Offline

Originally Posted By: joeb84

I've found book 3 to be nowhere near as overwhelmingly mind-numbing as book two. It does have its dull moments...but it also has some very interesting pieces to learn.

It can't be too awful as I haven't thrown book 3 even a single time! grin (Book two was airborne quite often and eventually received early retirement.)

#1803255 - 12/09/11 01:22 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: Tararex]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tararex
Originally Posted By: joeb84

I've found book 3 to be nowhere near as overwhelmingly mind-numbing as book two. It does have its dull moments...but it also has some very interesting pieces to learn.

It can't be too awful as I haven't thrown book 3 even a single time! grin (Book two was airborne quite often and eventually received early retirement.)

yea...i noticed a lot of music theory books, book 2 is mostly HARMONY...probably the most COMPLEX part of music theory grinI honestly look FORWARD to it though thumb

Edited by joeb84 (12/09/11 01:22 PM)

#1803280 - 12/09/11 02:07 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Tararex Offline

The theory in Book two is actually useful and well presented. For me it was its non-musical learning pieces that pulled my interest into the abyss whenever I opened its pages. I stopped posting on the Alfred's thread after I realized that all I had to say was "Arghh, rip...tear...mangle".

I've never posted about my progress in book three as I barely have time to practice let alone post about my plinking on these threads.

I hope you have better luck and patience with book two than I did!

#1803373 - 12/09/11 05:31 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: Tararex]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tararex
The theory in Book two is actually useful and well presented. For me it was its non-musical learning pieces that pulled my interest into the abyss whenever I opened its pages. I stopped posting on the Alfred's thread after I realized that all I had to say was "Arghh, rip...tear...mangle".

I've never posted about my progress in book three as I barely have time to practice let alone post about my plinking on these threads.

I hope you have better luck and patience with book two than I did!

ehhhhhh frown thats questionable lol

#1805465 - 12/13/11 02:23 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
I started out four years ago returning to piano after an hiatus of over 50 years!!, I was inspired to continue learning piano via Piano World and the Alfred's threads. The Alfred's threads were started by Mark, who's last post was in June 2011....if your still out there..Thanks Mark.

#1805702 - 12/13/11 09:31 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
I ordered book one with dvd. Its on the air now.

#1806280 - 12/14/11 07:25 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: Weiyan]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Seeing that there are so many adult Alfred "dropouts" - and let me caveat this statement by saying that many of them are successfully playing piano - it led me to this very simple question: what is the goal of learning a "method?"

Here's why I thought of this. My daughter is now into her 3rd year of lessons, so I have decided that I'm going to give her her first "do-it-yourself" assignment - to play a simple arrangement of Silent Night and perform it by Christmas!!. She's never really worked on her own, without her teacher, on a real, actual piece aside from the simple little drills that she plays from her Alfred book.

I told her to first sight-read it, which she did :), and explained to her that if she plays and reads through the piece enough times, she'll have memorized it and will be able to perform it come Christmas.

So....I think she is at the point where she can get more of these "side assignments". She has gone through a method (several methods, actually - Alfred, John Thompson, Dozen-a-Day, Hanon, and various repertoire pieces) and has the necessary skills to be able to now do stuff on her own.

...so that led me to think - isn't that the goal of Alfred? Once the adult learner has gone half-way through book 2, he/she now has the necessary arsenal to play Eaunidi, pop songs, Christmas pieces, movie pieces, etc....instead of continuing the "boring" assignments, ...though boring, I realize each assignment does have its "pedagogical" goal, but I guess many adult students now don't want to play this stuff since they now have the basic language of music to play the "fun stuff."

I think my daughter is at this point now, as well where she can start picking things up and learning pieces. Of course, she will continue with a method and lessons, but will now receive side-assignments.

Anyway, just me rambling, and my contribution to this interesting discussion.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1806290 - 12/14/11 07:50 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Gee, I hope that "play it enough times and it will be memorized" works out for her laugh It never did for me. People are different - even for simple stuff - Happy Birthday anyone? - I have to really pay attention when I'm playing in order to be able to "memorize" it. Even when it does become quite familiar from playing many times the first time I play it "from memory" I usually have to stop and figure out some things I wasn't really paying attention to when I was reading.

My impression, too, is that there are supplemental pieces for Alfred's at each level, not just the ones in the main method book, and they're put together to give one practice on more tunes.

I think a method book at the beginning is really quite helpful - instead of being all over the map with not a good way to tie what I'm learning together I often have "bits and pieces" of knowledge, rather than building blocks.

Saying all that, I'm not currently in lessons, and haven't been for 50 years. But I had band, choral, and 2 years of piano when I was young, so I had building blocks. And my way of learning often consists of trying a lot of things out on my own and then going to take a class that puts them together philosophically in ways I might not have.

And yes, I think the whole purpose of learning in general is to become independent. But I don't think we're ever absolutely independent. There's much to be learned here in the ABF, for instance smile And different ways of approaching memorization in addition to just "playing it over and over" was a big one for me smile

So I'm not sure I think the "drop out" rate for the second book of Alfred's is maybe quite so one-sided as might be thought. A couple of people think the second book has boring tunes, and I'm sure that contributes. But I'd guess there's still a lot to be learned if one continues thru it, including things that would be useful in Einaudi. And, if my experience with other kinds of activities is any guide, there's some percentage of people who are going to drop out just - because.

Oh, and if your daughter's teacher isn't assigning some side pieces that's surprising to me. Even 40 50 years ago I had side pieces, and in the teachers forum here that seems quite common. Not that she can't do Silent Night and other things she/you might like, I'm just surprised if her lessons are all one method book.

My 2 cents, of course.

Cathy

Edited by jotur (12/14/11 07:56 PM)
Edit Reason: 50 years. How soon we forget :)

#1806300 - 12/14/11 08:26 PM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: jotur]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
Gee, I hope that "play it enough times and it will be memorized" works out for her laugh

Yes,it works. That's how I learn pieces, through involuntary memorization by sheer repetition..lol. She is wired just like me, but with more raw talent. Ultimately, my goal for her is to become fluent with sight-reading, which is very do-able for the 8 year old mind. smile

Originally Posted By: jotur
Oh, and if your daughter's teacher isn't assigning some side pieces that's surprising to me. Even 40 50 years ago I had side pieces, and in the teachers forum here that seems quite common. Not that she can't do Silent Night and other things she/you might like, I'm just surprised if her lessons are all one method book.

My 2 cents, of course.

Cathy

*sigh*..yes, it's a tough thing for a parent when the child won't practice on her own. She's got lots of Disney songs that she wants to learn but I have to supervise (coax) her to do things outside of her lessons and assigned pieces.

PS: Here's one of her earlier videos when she was just months into piano...again, loads of talent, but lack of interest.
It's a familiar tune. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3joFk3xO1a0

...and one of her latest ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TszQJevG4g4

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1806508 - 12/15/11 08:16 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Many of us "Book 2 dropouts" are not truly dropouts at all. We have been doing just that - taking time off from our method book to play other things - easier pieces, harder pieces, more interesting pieces, Christmas music, jazz, classical, new age, hymns, duets with friends, things we've found on youtube, you name it. But most of us admit to intentions to complete the book in our own time because we realize that there is still more to learn from a method book. After a few months of working on other things, I've started a new Alfred 2 piece this week.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1806545 - 12/15/11 09:58 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
There are some interesting thoughts over the past day. Here's my take on the Alfred's dropout issues more with Book 2 and less of Book 3.

I think by the time you are half way through Book 2 you have been at the piano long enough that you are tired or bored of working on method pieces. I've seen this time and time again on the ABF. Folks will start Book 2 or 3 with good intentions but never finish, as they naturally drift off to do their own thing. As an adult, we already have ideas on what we want to learn, where we want to go, etc. The method pieces are just something to get through because we know we need a foundation in order to get to the stuff we want to really work on. There comes a point where an adult says "enough of this" and moves on, especially if they working on their own.

I have to admit that the method pieces ended up frustrating and boring me to death at times. I didn't have this issue so much with Book 2 as I have with Book 3. My teacher always gave me lots of "non-method" pieces to work on and I think this helped postpone the inevitable adult method book crash. Still, about 1/3 of the way through Book 3's method pieces I was about ready to pull my hair out. I realize that I was learning something from the method pieces but a lot of the arrangements leaves a lot to be desired. This led to motivation issues, which made the pieces take longer to finish up than they should have, which made motivation worse and you see the vicious cycle get out of control. Also, I was anxious to get to the ambitious section and work on real classical pieces rather than method pieces.

I'm proud to say that I'm finally working on the last "method" piece of Book 3 before the "ambitious" pieces kick in. So 2012 should be a good year (NO MORE METHOD BOOKS)!

#1806564 - 12/15/11 10:26 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: Cyborg]
kurtie Offline

My experience with Alfred book 2 is in line what has been being commented here: the last part of the book began to bore me, and I finally was able to finish it (rushing a bit, I must confess as my motivation was going down) but I have no intention to even begin book 3. Instead I jumped to Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano, and I am enjoying it.

Alfred's books were very useful at beginning for acquiring the level needed to go for other things. But once that basic level is acquired, unless you really enjoy the style of songs in Alfred's (last part of book2 and specially book 3 seems way to classical for my taste), seems natural to drop Alfred's method and look at other directions.

Regards,
Kurt.-

#1806593 - 12/15/11 10:57 AM Re: Whatever Happened to Alfred? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
I didn't drop out of Alfred, my teacher tossed it at our first lesson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, a-z0-9, ando, 18 invisible), 1265 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293084 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission