2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 95 of 540 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 539 540
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jotur

Sam - I love following your progress. Learning new stuff is the best, no?

Thanks Cathy! I'm glad there's at least one person I'm not boring!

The only thing better is learning old stuff wink

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

Been there, still doing that. I have notes going back to 2005 on one of my standard repertoire pieces, and I'm still working on it smile

Or is that not quite what you meant? laugh

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 12/19/11 02:30 PM.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MaryAnne,

Highly recommended: Alfreds Scales, Arpeggios, Chords and Candences - amazon link

I can't imagine not having a reference work to look up standard fingering or to correct occasional brain cramps. This book has all the major/minor scales with fingering for multiple octaves. All the arpeggios with fingering. And the chords for every scale degree in every key. For eight bucks you can't go wrong IMO.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Originally Posted by jotur

Sam - I love following your progress. Learning new stuff is the best, no?

Thanks Cathy! I'm glad there's at least one person I'm not boring!

Don't be silly, Sam. I'm sure there's way more than one person you're not boring!

JimF: thanks for the tip. I'll get that next time I'm ordering from Amazon.

Last edited by MaryAnn; 12/19/11 10:16 PM.
G
G
This past Oct, I started taking lessons (after wanting to for eons).

As of about 2 weeks ago, I could competently play through this at proper tempo and from memory:
Prelude #3 by Carolyn Miller (early intermediate)

Last week, I started the next piece (a bit easier) and can play about 3/4 of it decently, albeit a bit slower then full tempo., from memory:
More Fireflies by Carolyn Miller (late beginner)

3 pages of fun each :-D Fairly beginner stuff for most, but they are real pieces and they sound like real pieces (unlike some page out of alfred :P).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the thread Gomer. It sounds like you are really off to a great start.

My lesson this week was a rollercoaster. She loved my scales in 10ths and another exercise and complimented my progress on the MacDowell piece. I gave her a copy of MaGraths for Christmas and she shocked me with a gift of a very nice Ravel CD as well as a nice new score for one of his Preludes - which I'll start this week. The downer was my performance of the Christmas Song. I had played it without error not two hours earlier at home, but somehow managed to mangle it at the lesson. cry Arrrrggghhhh, I feel like such a head-case sometimes. I'm having guests over for Christmas so I hope it goes better by then. I also wanted to get in a recording, if possible, but we are having a pool put in and it seems every morning during practice there are jackhammers,tractors, chainsaws, etc. all wailing away not 30 feet from the piano. f Arrrrrrgh, the dogs will love the pool at least, and they never fail to love my playing smile.

Wishing all of you a very happy holiday season full of great piano performances.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This was a one step forward, two steps back week for me. I arrived at my lesson on a cold, snowy day and absolutely could not play. I started with my Bach piece and could not make my hands move fast enough. I couldn't even get through the first measure. It really shook me up, even though I knew that it was probably just from the cold. That added enough angst that I played everything with tension, making a ton of mistakes. I practiced a lot this last week, four hours a day or more, so it was frustrating to do so poorly in a lesson. However, I did learn a lot during my lesson. My struggle with the Bach prelude is because I have been trying to learn it in too large of chunks and I am playing too fast for this stage of my knowledge. So I need to SLOW DOWN, analyze the progressions, and play HS. I have also been having pain in my right hand at the base of the fourth finger the past couple of weeks. We identified the cause. I tend to stretch my hand rather than move or rotate my arm when I play. When I tried things with the arm involved, I had no pain and no tension. That is a major discovery because I was afraid I might be developing Carpal Tunnel or RSI. We also agreed that I needed to put more time on scales to improve my technique. I have only been playing a few months since my return to the piano, and I haven't really developed enough confidence and precision on the keyboard. So even a "bad" lesson can be a very good one!

M
M
swissMS

Have many 2 step forward and 1 step back days myself....

Progressing, no matter how small the step is....

I downloaded Stairway To Heaven and have roughly got it together - practice practice practice to make it perfect - I also transposed it to Violin music, now that really is a Stairway To Heaven (for a quick death) lol

Love my piano - love me!!! - I'm not a person without my piano...orrrr.... You never know what you can do till you have a go...
P
P
Passed grade 7 on tuesday with 82/100. Pleased with that.My Bach piece was a nightmare due to nerves but did well everywhere else. Looking forward to playing some new pieces in 2012!!

Piano Yamaha U1
Studying Grade 8 piano and 6 theory

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)
B
B
My AOTW - first lesson in about 2 months, having returned from the sunny, chilly, far south. As seems common in our reports, I managed to flub fabulously on a piece (Bach minuet in G) I've been playing flawlessly** at home, though I made it pretty well through the first half or so of the sonatina I'm working on, which is all I know so far. So, we concentrated on my flubby spots in the former and the "leading edge" of the latter - all good. And very exciting in that I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for this movement of this sonatina (Clementi 36 no 2 3rd mvmt)... it's going to come together in this lifetime, really.

And today has me yearning for a nice acoustic, preferably a fine grand in this dream, since I think a fair bit of my flubbing at lessons may be driven by the difference in feel between our dp and my teacher's grand - much harder action on the latter. Or at least that's a good excuse for the moment. smile

** Poetic license disclaimer: "flawlessly" = "pretty well for me", not "well for a pianist" or better. smile

Last edited by bessel; 12/23/11 11:17 PM.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'm learning my "easier" pieces (Für Elise and Gymnopedie #1) at a much faster pace than I thought I would. One caveat - I had "looked at" Gymnopedie for a while on my own a year ago. That was one of my overall goals, to be able to play the pieces at the easier range of my abilities much quicker.

Trouble is, I'm probably not focussing enough time on the Gavotte & Variations ....

Last edited by Andy Platt; 12/24/11 08:56 AM.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
My goodness, a whole week with no musical achievements?

Ah, well, it is a busy time of year.

I don't have any significant achievement either for the week - however, like many of you here, I've just completed my achievement of the year and earned my MOYD2011 badge.

Wishing all my AOTW friends a very happy new year and all the best for 2012!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Piano U1 - well done. Quite an accomplishment smile

bessel - "flub fabulously" - I think I've just found my new goal for 2012 smile I've always "flubbed hilariously" but it hasn't got the same ring to it, tho it always makes me laugh! "flub fabulously" is much more elegant, something else I wouldn't mind being smile

Happy new year to all of you for whom it already is, and have a safe NYE for the rest of us!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Happy New Year!!

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The last few weeks I only practised Black Eyes Boogie second half to bring it up to speed, so I could test it on some visitors on NYE. And I did!

While playing it seemed they got more interested, I think because it has so many fast notes. It doesn't sound like a beginner piece, heh. smile

And the end had a marvellous effect, because it ended in a glissando and hitting the lowest D. It was an END in capitals. They reacted quite fast after it. The test was succesful. smile

Thank you Martin, for composing this briljant piece!

Chris

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi I am baaaack. Happy new year to everyone.

This is the first time I opened my laptop since I went to Japan. No piano achievement. My wonderful childhood Kawai piano did not survive the quake. Somehow, I cannot even depress many of the keys cry Instead, less expensive piano (I have no idea where it was made) used by mom's kindergarden survived. I was heart broken but it really did not matter since I was too busy helping my parents move to enjoy the piano anyway. It was very cold. The old house was tilted and very dangerous. Snow was falling in from the partially broken roof. I could not believe my parents lived in the broken house as long as they did.

I practiced 3 hours today. It's going to take a few days to get back in shape but I feel great being able to do what I would like to do. We have great weather here in Arizona. What a wonderful place.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Welcome back dear FarmGirl!

Your parents are amazing people - I can not imagine how they managed to live in such a damaged home for so long - and in winter too!
They (and you) must be very relieved that they are settled in their new home.
What a good start for their new year.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chris, Glad to see you have finally mastered that difficult song. Congrats!

Welcome back, FarmGirl! I admire the courage of your parents. Thanks for sharing such an impressive story.

B
B

Welcome back, FarmGirl. I hope your trip had its positive sides to it - such a tragedy.

Enjoy your return home, and your return to playing!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Recaredo! Finishing the song is special to me, because my teacher didn't believe I could pull it off when I started.

Farmgirl, glad that you are back. I was a bit worried, because there was a new earthquake in Japan at 1 januari. I hope the new home of your parents is a bit earthquake proof.

Casinintaly, congrats for playing each day of the last two years. That is a major achievement.

Andy, I'm sure Gavotte and Variations will be in your easier range next year. But it's already an big achievement that you experience Für Elise and GymnopedIe in that way, because they are not quite easy at all.

Chris

Page 95 of 540 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission