2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 370 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 369 370
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have spent the past few days in a marathon of reading and writing in a desperate attempt to finish a paper by a deadline. The results for the paper came in late and the deadline was fixed, so a bunch of sleepless caffeine induced nights ensued.
[Linked Image]

But I am done now and can return to my regularly scheduled ABF posting, and I figure that since the paper was on "The ability of adults to use the geometric properties of an object array to locate a location outside the immediate environment" (try staying awake while writing about that!) my post should be something Science related.

Last edited by polyphasicpianist; 08/21/11 01:38 AM.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning everyone! I'll be scarce again today. However, it's Sunday, and I like to share some of the classical music I find of interest. My first post is "Concerto for oboe and strings - 2nd movement - Adagio - in D minor," by Alessandro Marcello. Oboe played by Derek Wickens with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra lead by Elgar Howarth.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I love classical and Baroque trumpet pieces. One of my favorites is Josef Haydn's "Trumpet Concerto in E flat Major." I first heard this performed by Wynton Marsallis. I have the recording on CD, yet have been unable to find a decent video of Marsallis' performance. However, I found a good video of trumpet virtuoso Hakan Hardenberger performing the entire 15-minute concerto with the German Philharmonic Orchestra. How could you possibly be disappointed with Hakan Hardenberger? Enjoy!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

That's all I'll have time for this morning. I will be lurking throughout the day, however. Rossy, I hope you are having a good time with your piano!

Have a great day everyone!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Has the jazz gone now?
PPP;It seems a slightly flawed question, surely it should read "The ability of SOMEadults etc etc" as some adults cannot even find their way home from the pub or find their own socks let alone locating (an unspecified?)location outside the immediate enviroment.
Would a simple sextant or compass help me wonders..if they were set in geometric boxes say of the art deco period.
They would certainly help me locate Alaska, (somewhere outside my immediate enviroment)

I often find when faced with awkward questions, that seeing if the question itself is ambiguous helps, if it is and can be read in an unorthodox and unintended manner for the purposes of going off on a tangent more familiar to the person answering the said question, so much the better..

In this case though it would appear that going off on a tangent is actually relevent as tangents can also be used in location excercises.

Anyways, hopefully that wordsmithing, has negated my need to comment on any possibility of jazz re-occuring.
Maybe.
Mostly.

Griffin, I am happy to see you are communicating nicely with TrapperJohn, and sharing music.

This is an excellent thing, allthough Trapper did express to me personally once ( or four times, I forget) that he has a laughing "problem"
Apparently, there are only seven things in the whole universe that can make TJ burst into uncontrollable laughter, And I, am not one of them.

In fact , I think it was TJ that once said "Rostosky,you brainless , immature, unfunny specimen of human detritis, I would rather stand over recent roadkill and laugh at that inanely for 16 weeks than smile at one of your jokes"

At least I think it was TJ, or it might have been my mum,when she beat me for playing in my sisters underwear drawer when I was little, it's hard to remember these painfull episodes in my life sometimes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
OOps, forgot to put the sunday morning song! (doh)
Anyways here it is a little late for some...
The velvet underground and NIco, and Sunday morning!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I remember some stalking going on, (I once met my stalker, turns out, he'd got the wrong person)...........

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Here's my Sunday morning song hehehehe

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rossy, you have done an amazing work with your keyboard. Thanks for sharing those photos.

Griffin, you know that I enjoy your posts on Sunday. Fantastic posts again.

Now one beautiful waltz, from the interesting music that Shostakovich composed for films.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aimee, We have posted just at the same time! laugh

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
We did! Nice waltz! I love waltzes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Really nice stuff, everyone! Rossy, I enjoyed your "birdie" postings. laugh Glad you finally were able to get your keyboard in good shape! thumb

I'm a big waltz fan, too. smile

Masquerade Waltz (Khachaturian)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had never listened to piano version on that waltz. Very good post, Elssa.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don’t like one thing on Sundays: ironing time. See you later.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words of support over my keyboard trials and tribulations.
I can say that after three hours serious and heavy duty playing, everything is totally in order and it is like new again.
In fact it seems much better than new, which does make me suspicious a little. Did I get a shop display model? Probably.

Anyways, the woes are all over. Magic.

Seeing that Adeltrout von Rutzen loves waltzes, Here is one I found a little while ago, It is suitably named "Waltz of the dead" and I think 'In dark solitude' does a great job.....

What do you think dudes and dudettes?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
not bad at all Rossy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Cool ! I like "spooky" sounding things, since I was little I loved dance macabre, I used to love waiting and listening for the cockerals call.. and could really imagine and see all the spirits rushing to return to their graves till next time... excellent.

Sparing a thought or seven for Recaredo, who unfortunately believes he has to be miserable every Sunday because of something he calls in his native spanish tongue "Ironing" which is excellent English as usuall, but totally wrong in his assumption that it is something that "Has" to be done..

"Ironing" does not have to be done, at all ever. It is a silly falicey.

"Ironing" is a modern invention, for thousands of years nobody did "Ironing" for instance Iron itself has not long been invented to do "Ironing" with, if the whole history of man is taken into account 99.9999 % of all people that ever lived did not do Ironing.

Please folks dont waste your life ironing, what does it ever achieve, (apart from the drudgery it was intended to bestow on housewives to give them something to do)

Clothes get creased, you Iron, few minits later they are creased again.

Has anyone refused to serve you in a shop because you had too many creases?

Has a girl ever said, "I am sorry you cannot have sex with me because your shirt has three creases?"

Life is just too short, no wonder some folks dont ever seem to have enough time to practice as much as they want to, get a grip dudes, ditch the crease removing tool, and the big board that takes up space (and smells funny) put them where they belong, in a skip or landfill.

If the worse comes to the worst then you only get one life, and this is no dress rehearsal, dont waste it.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi folks. I've often thought that I didn't care for waltzes. I really appreciated hearing the variety of waltzes today. Because of what I've heard today, I now realize I've been hearing the wrong waltzes. I liked these.

Recaredo, thanks for starting it off with Shostakovich. I'm also glad you enjoyed my morning classical posts. Elssa, thanks for the Khachaturian waltz. It also reminded me that I have a lot of work to do on another Khachaturian piece my piano teacher assigned me to work on this summer. I haven't gotten very far! eek

Rossy, a death waltz? More variety in waltzes than I could have ever imagined. As usual, I learn a lot on this thread! Thanks.

Aimee, thanks for Johnny Cash. I hadn't heard that before.

I still have things to do. However, I'll try to do one final post later.

Carl

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Great waltzes! Adeltrout likes the dead one. Elssa, the Khachaturian was great too.

Not a fan of ironing either. I just burn myself. Recaredo, try throwing stuff in the dryer and fluff it. Not always perfect, but good enough. When I was younger and worked retail, I was always impressed with the steamer thing. Much faster than the iron, in my opinion.

Glad you liked the Cash, Griffin. I like to pick up guitars and strum them real quick and introduce myself as Johnny Cash. In the privacy of my own home, of course, as I cannot play guitar.

I'm done for the day. I'll leave you with this. It was running though my dead today, and I have no idea why.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

Hi folks. I've often thought that I didn't care for waltzes. I really appreciated hearing the variety of waltzes today. Because of what I've heard today, I now realize I've been hearing the wrong waltzes. I liked these.

Is there anything better than a waltz in a minor key...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Page 51 of 370 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission