2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianojosh23
It's unusual, too, Liszt usually being so good as a transcriber and there's no reason for him to not have given this work his best. Maybe he was just having a bad day?

Who knows, Josh. Considering Liszt's appetite for transcribing -and several times he made a transcription, only to later realize he had done it earlier- I have actually lost sleep wondering why he had so little interest in one of his greatest compositions.

The whole issue is not only incomprehensible, but totally ridiculous.

Jason
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
he had so little interest in one of his greatest compositions.

At least as far as his resulting transcription goes. I believe in his later years he actually called the Ad Nos one of his "least bad" compositions, or something like that. Interestingly Leslie Howard in his liner notes wrote that "The score of the work shows how carefully Liszt sought to make an effective duet version." Puzzling, overall. Regardless, we shall be forever thankful for Busoni! I can't imagine it being done better.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/13/12 09:34 PM.
T
T
I've spent last year exploring my fondness for Liszt. Before, he was ehh, but between Chopin and him, both are at the top of my list of composers for the piano.

To top it off, I get to see my teacher perform the complete first book of the Annees de Pelerinage tomorrow!

Fall 2012 Rep:
Polonaise Op. 53 - Chopin
Ballade Op. 47 - Chopin
Piano Sonata K.333 - Mozart
WTC Prelude and Fugue in D Major, Bk 1 - Bach
Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues - Rzewski
Piano Concerto No. 1 - Liszt
Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano - Cage
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Interestingly Leslie Howard in his liner notes wrote that "The score of the work shows how carefully Liszt sought to make an effective duet version."

But then Howard goes on to write that there are many passages in which all the material is redistributed about the four hands... which seems to me a bit of an overstatement. The end result doesn't particularly illuminate anything new about the original, and without access to the score, one might indeed conclude that the 'secondo' is in fact merely doubling the pedal line, a rather uncomfortable issue for Howard.

At this point we could honestly enquire: well then, why didn't Liszt go all the way and arrange it for two pianos? He certainly wasn't adverse to doing so -very successfully- with his symphonic poems.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Had some further discussion re this composition with a fellow organist this afternoon. (London Calling indeed -that brings me back- two years before I was born. Good thing I saw Billy Elliot)

But we both agreed that the original organ work is rather frustrating, but not so the Busoni!

Jason
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

But we both agreed that the original organ work is rather frustrating

In what way? I'm no expert on the work and don't know the ins and outs of the organ/organ composition so it would be interesting to hear both your opinions.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/14/12 10:37 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Some more neglected piano compositions that haven't been mentioned yet:

It's probably sacrilegious to say, but I prefer Liszt's Berceuse to Chopin's far better known work. Of course it's unlikely Liszt's would be how it is without Chopin's example.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/16/12 10:35 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Some more neglected piano compositions that haven't been mentioned yet:

While it's still full of Liszt's magic, I can't help but feel that his polonaises are all kind of "a la Chopin," and that he's just making fun. smile Great listening, nonetheless!

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

But we both agreed that the original organ work is rather frustrating

In what way? I'm no expert on the work and don't know the ins and outs of the organ/organ composition so it would be interesting to hear both your opinions.

Frustrating in that as Liszt had no formal training on the organ, there are several passages wherein the writing for the instrument is less than idiomatic. In the manual parts, Liszt sometimes seems flummoxed by the lack of a sustaining pedal, and then some of the pedal parts border the impossible. (Most organists edit them in varying degrees.)

It is interesting to compare with the organ sonata by Liszt's student Julius Reubke. There the pedal writing is seamlessly integrated with the manuals, and the piece never sounds like piano music transferred to the organ. (I have also never seen it transcribed for piano.)

But as much as I love the Reubke sonata (and it is a favourite with all but the most snobbish organists), overall it doesn't quite climb that Lisztian Parnassus of kinetic energy, mysticism, and spellbinding grandeur.

Jason
M
M
I have to confess I am not really a Lisztophile, (I overall prefer Chopin). But only Liszt could have created the Mephisto Waltz, and the Hungarian Rhapsodies. And every instinct tells me there has only been one 'perfect' interpreter of Liszt - Gyorgy Cziffra. His CDs take pride of place in my collection, along with Michelangeli's Debussy, and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf's Songs of Richard Strauss.

Apart from the phenomenal virtuosity Cziffra had at his command, he has, for me, the perfect blend of explosive bravura and melting lyricism that this music demands. Titanic!

I am not a performer, but a composer. But I have penned a very, very virtuosic work for piano, written in an impressionist/romantic style. For anyone interested you will find the work, Abyss, in the Composers Lounge Forum, and on youtube - marknicol7. Abyss is part of a 7-piece set, the 5th. of which is very Chopinesque. Any help with editing would be much appreciated, for, as things stand, 7 out of 10 pianists have told me that Abyss is unplayable, or almost.

Last edited by Mark Nicol; 10/16/12 06:30 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark Nicol
I have to confess I am not really a Lisztophile, (I overall prefer Chopin).

Strike one.

one 'perfect' interpreter of Liszt - Gyorgy Cziffra.

Strike two.

Abyss is part of a 7-piece set, the 5th. of which is very Chopinesque. Any help with editing would be much appreciated, for, as things stand, 7 out of 10 pianists have told me that Abyss is unplayable, or almost.

Strike three. Maybe the totally devoted to Chopin thread will be interested.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have to confess I am not really a Lisztophile, (I overall prefer Chopin).
I think a significant majority would agree with you about Liszt vs. Chopin.

And every instinct tells me there has only been one 'perfect' interpreter of Liszt - Gyorgy Cziffra.
Another good choice.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

We've been here before, but I think a significant majority vastly underrate and underappreciate Liszt, for a variety of reasons. Chopin is a great composer, but so is Liszt. I would say they both deserve the same sort of respect.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/16/12 07:23 PM.

We've been here before, but I think a significant majority vastly underrate and underappreciate Liszt, for a variety of reasons. Chopin is a great composer, but so is Liszt. I would say they both deserve the same sort of respect.
I think they're both very great, but a significant majority among both amateurs and professionals think Chopin is greater and would disagree with you.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I think they're both very great, but a significant majority among both amateurs and professionals think Chopin is greater and would disagree with you.

I maintain my stance that Liszt is significantly underrated, and that also, for the most part, much commentary on Liszt - both amateur and professional - is not to be trusted.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/16/12 07:59 PM.

I maintain my stance that Liszt is significantly underrated, and that also, for the most part, much commentary on Liszt - both amateur and professional - is not to be trusted.
I wasn't trying to convince you to change your opinion, only to remind you and point out that many don't agree with you.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

I wasn't trying to convince you to change your opinion, only to remind you and point out that many don't agree with you.

Fair enough, and yes, I do realise this and put the due stock into the opinions of others on the matter.

Anyway, it's not comparisons with Chopin that i'm concerned about, but rather the current status of Liszt - so I regret furthering any comparison with the Polish master.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/16/12 08:43 PM.
M
M
Yes,
sorry to start all of this Chopin v Liszt thing. I suppose, as a composer, one must make objective judgments about works and other composers who we will establish as models. There is, as I see it, more chaff in Liszt's output - but there are also the monumental masterpieces. Chopin just produced an extraordinary number of masterpieces.

I can understand that virtuosic pianists, in particular, can become intoxicated with the 'idiomatic superfluity' of Liszt's writing. This can lead to a lack of aesthetic and formal objectivity, so that we are left dwelling on sentiment and bravura, and such that we fail to focus on musical and artistic content.

Inversely, Cziffra does tend to butcher Chopin - primarily because the script does not offer the necessary challenge to his technical superfluity, and because the aesthetic does not cater to the extremes of his emotional temperament - much better suited to the most volcanic outpourings of Liszt.
I don't think I have found my ideal Chopin interpreter yet - but Sudbin may be coming very, very close.

Does anyone think they might be able to play my piece, Abyss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x52fhz9QLo&feature=plcp

Last edited by Mark Nicol; 10/16/12 09:18 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Inversely, Cziffra does tend to butcher Chopin - primarily because the script does not offer the necessary challenge to his technical superfluity, and because the aesthetic does not cater to the extremes of his emotional temperament - much better suited to the most volcanic outpourings of Liszt.

I agree with you about Chopin re Cziffra, but some of the Liszt recordings I have heard seem equally 'butchered'. Cziffra was so awesomely gifted technically -truly astounding!- but sometimes he inadvertently (or not) let his fingers and musical judgement run helll-for-leather.

Those recordings cause me to cringe, and as such perfect fodder for those who think Liszt is all show and no substance. No surprise that Cziffra is more successful in Liszt's shallower music. I would never want to hear Cziffra in much beyond some of the Rhapsodies, selected etudes, or the Grand galop chromatique.

I highly doubt he would even bring off something such as the great Norma Fantasy. Cziffra's pianism is too self-absorbed, it exists it its own world. Hamelin's uncomprehending recording -to me- strikes me as someone who has possibly never heard Bellini's opera. Liszt knew it very well, and I adore that opera, but only Lewenthal (of recordings I have heard) seems to put the pieces together and give a convincing performance of Liszt's brilliant commentary.

Jason
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission