2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 158 of 370 1 2 156 157 158 159 160 369 370
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Recaredo
Done! It's a nice avatar, without doubt.
Only problem is now I can't tell whose posting what by just glancing at the avatars. I have to actually read your names crazy

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

It looks great Recaredo! The Rossy avatar becomes you! smile I guess I am going to skip doing any further postings today. I am running out of time and my computer is running really slow today. Instead, I'm going to continue piano practice and take short breaks. I have a lot of piano work to get accomplished in 2012! I'll be back shortly.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
If anyone is having trouble with not seeing the badge, OR it being slow to load, Mrs R has also uploaded it to flicker.
It is possible that imageshack may be experiencing slowness problems.

Anyways, flicker is stable so here is the link if you have a problem.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6671512249_6f23958865_t.jpg

So far though, only one person has told me about a problem, so it may be that it is their computer being slow.

Onwards and upwards.

Its very early in the morning here, 5.42 am, and today we have to do the fortnightly food shop, so I will be away till noon.

I hate this, I hate shopping trolleys except when they are used for alternative things like trolley racing or turned on their sides and a fire lit in them , and then the top used for a barbecue grill.

Apparently, you are not actually allowed to do this in Asda carparks.

I dont see why not though, after all you have paid a pound to get the trolley, and there is no sign saying "No using the trolleys for barbecues"

why do they have to make things difficult for us? Having to wait to get home to eat the chicken we just bought there.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi Rossy! I was just about to turn in for the evening when I decided to check in one last time. Here you are! I'll probably be in the bed by the time you receive this. Alas, my extended holiday has ended. It's midnight here, and I'm back to work tomorrow.

Before I go to sleep I've been meaning to ask you about shopping trolleys. What are they exactly? Are they public transport to get you to the market...or something?? I've never heard of them.

Good night Rossy! I'll look forward to an explanation soon!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya Griffin, and a good evening to you! Sorry, I think in the USA shopping trolleys are called "shopping carts"

Anyways, here is a picture of one, on its side, ready to have a fire lit inside it, so the top can be used for a barbecue griddle.

[Linked Image]

or alternatively, it can be used on top of the fire like this:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rostosky; 01/10/12 03:07 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi there, mind peeking into Rossy land? I could not resist. It's funny that there are so much differences between English and American English. I got into strange situations over it when I worked in our Brighton office.

My apologies, it's a long story.. It started out when American Airline lost my luggage. I only had what I had on when I was traveling - Jeans and comfy sweat shirt. I was only going to stay in Brighton for 2 weeks, so I decided to tough it out. I wore same clothing every day for about 3 days. People did not appreciate my frugality. Mind you, I washed what I could wash. Anyway, a secretary for a VP told me that Company has money for situations like this so I was given 250 GBP for clothing. She also told me to go to the M&S at Shoreham immediately and gave me a taxi docket for that. It was a fantastic store. Immediately after I set my foot in the store, I noticed a bitching pair of boots for about 200 GBP. The rest is a history. I bought the boots and decided to buy cheap clothing using the rest of the money. After all I have clothing at home. I went to a store called Happit where they keep clothing for old women. I got a couple of tacky nylon browses and 2 pairs of trousers with elastic band instead of tailored fit ones that I normally buy. I went to the office next day in my new clothing and boots. My good friend John noticed my shiny boots and new clothing right away. So, I told them the story. I said, " .... I went to Happit and got myself a pair of old women pants with elastics waist.. (since they are laughing, i added) .. Well, they are not very fashionable but comfy to take a nappy nap in" Everyone was busting out. I did not understand why. John explained to me, pants = knickers (underwear) and Nappy = Diapers in UK. So it was hysterical.. they all pictured me in old women elastic waste underwear, you know, those big mama pants... and having diapers...

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi Farm Girl! I enjoyed your story, and it certainly was not too long. I was glad to see your post, and I hope you will post again some time. There are so many differences between English and American English. It's tempting to tell a few stories about some of my experiences. However, it will have to wait. I don't have much time for my postings. I have to get ready for work shortly.

I'll be right back!

Carl

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
...two countries separated by a common language... confused

Rob

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good Morning everyone! Rossy, thanks for the shopping trolley explanation. Yup! We call them shopping carts in America. I don't hate them, however, unless it's hard to separate them from the other shopping carts. So what did a shopping trolley do to you to make you dislike them so?

I better quickly post before I make myself late for work! Let's start with Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here."

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
When my mam went out, to first canada and then the states in the 1950's , she got a job in the aircraft industry. One morning after a heavy weekend she asked one of the neighbours to make sure she got up in the morning on time.

When she got into work the guys said to her "ah, you got up in time then"

My mam said out loud in a crowded office, "yes one of the neighbours knocked me up"

It went silent. Apparently it does not mean the same as over here.

Up untill victorian times over here there were professional "knockers" who for a small fee , would "knock you up" in a morning.

I believe they had a pole and would tap on your window with it.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi Rob. I see we posted at the same time. Have you noticed differences between Aussie and British English or American English? I'm just curious. smile

I'll be right back with my next posting.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry Griffin, we posted at the same time... Good morning to you!!! have a good day, I love floyd!!!
Thanks...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EVERYONE POSTED AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

WOW!!! WE're on a roll today! Here's another one you'll like, Janis Joplin singing "Cry Baby"

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Before I go to work I've made a pledge to practice on the piano before going to work, even if it's only for 10 minutes. Off I go! Have a great day everyone!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Have a great day Griffin, love the JJ !! she cant do any wrong !! lovely.
Will be back later, shopping has been done.
Why do I hate trolleys? well today I got the one with a sticky handle... yuk, had to go to the bathroom to wash my paws, then use a plastic bag wrapped round the handle for the rest of the shop.
It could have been anything..ew.

Later dudes and dudettes, I feel an afternoon nap coming on....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi!

Lovely songs Griffin! Rossy, I liked to read that anecdote of your mom.

Farmgirl, I’m glad to see you over here. I’d also like to hear about your favourite music.

Today I’m going to post about other unfairly unknown composer. Vicente Martín y Soler was a musician from Valencia (Spain), who lived in the XVIII century. He composed several operas which got great successes at the biggest European theatres of that age. Even Lorenzo da Ponte, the famous librettist, worked for him.

Listening to his music, it’s difficult to understand why this composer has been forgotten.

Here we can listen to the overture of the opera called “Il burbero di buon cuore” (The Good-Hearted Curmudgeon).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good morning everyone!

You all forgot the Canadian English accent, eh! laugh

I spent all morning in line-ups getting x-rays and bloodwork done, so this is for our crappy healthcare waiting lines!!!!!!!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Everyone posted at the same time!

This evening I've been at a harpsichord recital at Handel House, where Handel lived for almost three decades... and where Hendrix lived much later. grin

The programme included
PC Foucquet (mind how you pronounce that!) - Le Carillon de Cythere
J Duphly - La Forqueray
C Balbestre - La Lugeac
Scarlatti - K 132 and K 133
Mozart - variations on 'twinkle twinkle..' (you know the one)
and finally a Mozart piece originally written for glass harmonica
all expertly played by an incredibly young Nathaniel Mander.

Here's Claire Williams playing K 132 only a couple of hundred metres away:

I have spent the evening with two Canadians, one from London Ontario. It's a small world!

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Dudes and dudettes, good morning to you all....

This only takes one minit, and its worth it for the look of sheer joy on the guys face...

Check this out.....

Page 158 of 370 1 2 156 157 158 159 160 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission