Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
122 registered (A Guy, alans, 36251, Alexander Borro, 30 invisible), 1597 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1819130 - 01/05/12 02:25 PM Topics needing more attention
Gisele Offline

Loc: Schenectady, Saratoga Counties...
What are some topics that you are finding your students need to spend more time on, in order to thoroughly understand?

I am relatively new at teaching so I am finding out suddenly at each lesson what each student is not understanding. They can play the pieces but they had no idea what topic they had just learned. Then I have to backtrack and approach the topic another way.

So far, the more challenging topics have included: V7, the I V7 IV pattern, 6th and 7th intervals, and syncopation.

What have you found more difficult to teach? In order to drill these topics into my students' heads, I'd like to start looking for additional material to supplement their books already being used.

Thank you very much!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1819545 - 01/06/12 07:29 AM Re: Topics needing more attention [Re: Gisele]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Really, it's important to address topics in a logical manner. For example, before they can learn anything about the V7, they must have a grasp of how to build a major chord. Or before talking about a 7th interval, they must have learned 2nds and 3rds and worked their way up. These things are best discussed when encountered in music they are playing. Conversely, it makes little sense to have a student learn a piece with a dotted 8th note and sixteenth rhythm if they have not yet learned 16th notes. This is how piano pedagogy works.

Not only do students need to learn things in proper order, but they need sufficient time to review it before adding something new. So several pieces covering the same new concept would be best. The more they encounter the same concept in different ways (think visual, audio, and kinesthetic/touch) the better chances they have of understanding it.

There are a great number of pedagogy books out there that would help you in this.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1819712 - 01/06/12 02:09 PM Re: Topics needing more attention [Re: Gisele]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I concur. I find that both in my own experience as a student, and watching my students develop over time, these concepts which seem so easy to us now, were quite the mountains to climb back as elementary students. I do make students count out intervals on the piano, form the chords, etc., and it seems to help somewhat, but as they have little interest in chord formation at early stages of music learning, it seems to have little retention. If that makes any sense.

#1820016 - 01/07/12 12:09 AM Re: Topics needing more attention [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
I concur. I find that both in my own experience as a student, and watching my students develop over time, these concepts which seem so easy to us now, were quite the mountains to climb back as elementary students.

thumb
I often feel like Micky Mouse with the brooms (Fantasia). Or something like that.

The only thing I know for sure is that finding the most logical possible order in which to present things is probably about 99% of what makes success, and I keep tweaking, teaching some things earlier, some thing laters, also adding things I have not stressed in the past.

For me the mystery is trying to retrace how I absorbed and mastered things. It's always the same. Anything that I learned when very young seems to have to stages. One, I remember not knowing something, and a first lesson. Then I remember having it mastered. The in between steps disappeared. I know they happened. But I can't remember them.

I also find that I am strongest in teaching things I missed, as a young student, and had to straighten out in my late teens, early 20s, or later. My fingering was very weak, so I am very good at breaking down fingering for students, any age. But I can't explain how I came to sight-read really fast, because I got paid for doing that (as an accompanist) at age 15. And ear-training remains a mystery to me, because I never remember a time when I had any problems looking at a score and hearing it in my head.

Edited by Gary D. (01/07/12 12:10 AM)

#1820085 - 01/07/12 03:34 AM Re: Topics needing more attention [Re: Gisele]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Every student is unique. I've taught a student who can play super advanced pieces, passed Level 10 with honors, but can't hear the difference between major and minor chords. Some students play beautifully, but when you present them with the theory book, they totally shut down.

Some students are naturally strong in verbalizing ideas (and thus can understand your verbal directions well), while others are strong in math and have a natural feel for rhythm. It's really a mixed bag for each student.

As a private teacher, you can/should customize the education experience for each student. I tend to focus on the students' weaknesses, though, so their weaknesses can "catch up" to their strengths.

#1822719 - 01/11/12 11:36 AM Re: Topics needing more attention [Re: Gisele]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Yes theory! I am not a teacher but a lifelong student. I think when people hear the word "theory" they think of deep scientific thought...like theoretical physics, or something somewhat vague and hard to explain...i.e. "My theory for why this might have happened...." Theory sounds boring. Instead it is a blueprint for how music is structured that is pretty concrete.

It was really never explained to me why there you commonly see a F# accidental in the key of Gmi, that has 2 flats! Or why is does the Bb keep showing up in the key of C, that has no sharps and or flats? How can a group of musicians get up and play the blues in E together without sheetmusic or previous practice? How does one improvise and make it sound good? Then there is transposing....It all requires theory.

Edited by Stanza (01/11/12 11:36 AM)
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Salesperson Dilemma
by RGibson
12/18/14 12:01 PM
Fast scale and trills in Chopin Nocturne op.62-1 in B major
by ppianist
12/18/14 11:10 AM
Kenny Barron and Dave Holland
by jjo
12/18/14 10:13 AM
Coming around the backstretch...
by RonTuner
12/18/14 09:11 AM
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159951 Topics
2349057 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission