2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I’m glad you and the mom can work things out. It’s not surprising to me at all that the mom doesn’t realize that her daughter is very talented. Parents who don’t have a music background can be quite wrong in this regard, some think their “average” kids (if one dares use this word) are quite talented, some look at what their talented kids do and think that everyone can do just that. It takes a while, but observant and thoughtful parents eventually will figure out what is considered normal and what is considered very unusual at each stage…

Another way to discipline the kid is to use the “if you do a really good job at chores you will get x minutes of extra piano time” strategy. It might just work.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Your story is similar to the many battles I'd have to fight against parents, not students! Most students are fine. It's harder to convince/educate the parents in these isolated cases.

I hope it all works out for you!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You can also ask her the girl what her chores are and teach her to do them faster.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by keystring
If the girl is bright and self-directed, wouldn't it be good for the girl to know she has to make time for her other chores, and have her get a handle on her time? I mean in the sense of making sure her other things being done. A practice log would be deadening. If you are being inspired by what you are doing, getting insights, and you have to start reporting everything you do, then you can no longer concentrate on the music in the same way. Practice logs are good for people who don't want to do things.

I raised two self-motivated kids. Although it was in a homeschooling context some of what we did might still be useful. There were things they had to do, such as reading, spelling, math., and chores, and other things they were allowed to do which were the things they were interested in. They knew they could do the second once the first was done (which also had to be done correctly). So they found the most efficient way of doing what they had to do, and did it well. Then they had as much time as they wanted for the other things.

I actually agree, which is why I never use practice logs. However, sometimes we have to make compromises with parents. All I want her to write is start time/end time. I'm not interested in being her mother -- I just want Mom to let her keep taking lessons!

Piano teacher since 1995
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Candywoman
You can also ask her the girl what her chores are and teach her to do them faster.

grin I like this idea. She could practice doing them at my house. It might take her years to master them and then I would have more time to practice!

Piano teacher since 1995
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
She's only seven. I think you could expect her to make her bed, side on and off the table, and feed the cat. But she sounds like a terrific student!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Congrats on working out a deal! Let's hope that it works

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Make sure that mom gets regular positive feedback from you. She sounds clueless. Maybe invite her to sit in on an occasional lesson.

If she gets weird on you again, just ask that lessons at least continue through the academic year, instead of ending abruptly.

But congratulations for turning this around. And enjoy that student: she sounds wonderful to work with!

Peter

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Newbie question: I just tried to edit my prior post. I clicked the "Edit" box, and drafted something. Then when I went to post it, the software said that too much time had elapsed to allow for editing.

How much time is allowed for editing? And why would an "Edit" box appear under my prior post if there is no longer time available for editing?

Thanks for the advice,
Peter

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Peter,

I think your question is way off topic (which is the original question of the poster, also referred to as OP). It would be better if you find an appropriate thread matching your question or posting your question in a new thread.

Last edited by wouter79; 01/08/12 03:07 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
How much time is allowed for editing?
I think the window of opportunity is only a few hours.
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
And why would an "Edit" box appear under my prior post if there is no longer time available for editing?
I have no idea on that one! But PW is full of little mysteries. smile

Du holde Kunst...
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
If this site works like another site I frequent, the edit window can still be open when you click the edit button and start editing, but expire while you're composing your edit.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mum is obviously a "Muggle" (Potter lingo) ...
what I can't fathom is how such inartistic parents bear such remarkable offspring.

But then, as Piano Teacher, one is constantly
aware of the drag of a Muggle on any student's prospect of advancement. Without an encouraging voice on the home front, the path
becomes that much steeper.

Mum should be led away to the stocks should she dare to curb this child's piano lessons.

N
N
btb, are you a parent yourself? I ask because, if you were, you would know that as a parent there are a million and one things a parent is responsible for toward that child's upbringing, not just to cater for the child's piano needs. If said child is neglecting other things in life such as chores (and times for being a kid?) then isn't it appropriate for the parent to take action? In my child years my parents would target things I enjoyed (going out to play with other kids mostly) normally through 'grounding' me for a day or two.

As for leading the "Muggle" (whatever that is) to the stocks, well......

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper than just through the eyes of a piano teacher. As shocking as it may be to some, there is, actually, more to life than piano.

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I dont usually post here (I'm not a piano teacher)...

Not only can she play piano, but since she "fools around" (transposes, makes up different endings, introductions, etc), I suggest she try composing, as well as continuing playing piano.

1942 Baldwin M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is actually another possibility why the mom doesn’t see that her daughter is gifted. Of course this is pure guessing, but it is possible that the mom herself is gifted musically but simply has not had the chance to develop the gift. This is a common pattern, mentioned by experts of gifted education in books on how to parent gifted children, in families where both parents and kids are gifted: whatever the kids can do just doesn’t seem so out of the ordinary in the parents’ eyes. So in some cases a gifted kid is actually appreciated less by her own parents than by “outsiders”.

Sometimes it can take quite a bit of time for a parent to believe that her kid is talented. Maybe after listening to a lot of youtube videos, maybe after going to enough recitals and realizing what “average” kids do… I’d give this mom the benefit of the doubt, especially because she is open-minded enough to discuss with the teacher and change her mind upon new information.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Someone please define a "muggle"- I can't keep up with all the new words invented in movies today..
(sorry to sideline a bit)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
A muggle is an ordinary non-wizard person, as compared to the wizards. It's from the Harry Potter series.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission