2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 105 of 370 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks wayne... I was trying to ignore it... but thanks for the thought!!! we posted at the same time..lol.
where have you been, what have you been upto, have you been doing reason.abelton.??

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I got an excellent pressie off young Rossy, he had gone to the trouble of wrapping it all up and putting it in a box as well ( did I mention that I have many boxes today?)
Anyways,
I opened the box very carefully, ( not wanting to damage the potential expensive electronic equipment that I believed to be inside) then there was three different layers of wrapping paper, one was quite pretty so I had to undo it with unusual carefullness. I took the time and trouble because it has flowers on it, and my mum likes flowers , so I thought i could re-use it at christmas, as it looks expensive.

then there was cheapo flimsy paper ( three rolls for a pound from shops that appear and only open for christmas then disappear again, and also sell cheapo christmas lights that may cause harm and suffering and rob you of all the childrens pressies in the resulting fire)

Then there was a layer of newspaper, one that i had allready read, so just rubbish really, then i got to the pressie....

The pressie was of an unusual construction, it consisted of a overipe banana with two tomatoes not very carefully , (but extremely securely) sellotaped to one end, with a card attatched that read "this is you, this is"

I rechecked the return address to see if it had definately come from young Rossy, and allthough he had used some subterfuge by trying to make out it had come from the Welsh singer Tom Jones , we rumbled that it must have been sent by young Rossy, because we didnt believe Tom Jones would have just put his initials on the return address.

And thinking about it, why would Tom Jones be sending me perishables anyways?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Griffin is an acedemic bird that does not mince his words and can deal with abstract concepts.....

Unfortunately "alex" died not long ago.... but well worth a watch...

Sorry, did I say griffin is an african gray? ( sorry griffin, did that get you going lol)

Enjoy....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My main area of study in university deals a lot with comparative cognition, and this bird Alex has been massively important to the study of it. It is easy to watch these YouTube videos and see this bird as kind of a funny pet, but this bird (and the years of training that has been put into him by Dr. Pepperberg) has been a tremendous value to science.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is it your birthday Rostosky? Well I have a present you might find amusing since you are a South Park fan.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
He's got a great name, and obviously quite intelligent. Not to suggest the name had anything to do with the intelligence, of course grin

Actually, I found this and PPP's post very fascinating. Thanks.

PS. I had to keep a close and watchful eye on my cat as he watched too!

Last edited by griffin2417; 11/04/11 01:01 AM.

Carl

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
agck! I missed your birthday, Rossy! Happy birthday!

talking birds freak me out! Although I wonder how my cat would act if a bird mimicked her..

Anyone who knows or has heard about the Suzuki method, will appreciate. If you are impatient, skip to 0:54.

And, I guess, happy birthday.

Learning since July 2011
Piano recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/guciekpiano

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

That was fun and worth listening to the end. Thanks guciek!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Indeed PPP. If you want to read an excellent scientific study written over ten whole years, in this area, may I heartedly reccomend, "Ravens in winter" by Bernd Heinrich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_Heinrich)

He studies ( in total isolation in the mountians) the symbiotic relationship between Ravens and wolves.
Also ( amongst other things) he searches for the reason why sometimes ravens hang round in groups and at other times they do not....

But, the ravens did not give their secrets away easily!! ( to say the least) every time he went up to the cabin in the frozen winter months with a new theory, the ravens blew it apart by doing something contradictory... the book has its humourous moments, as Bernd carries frozen goats and roadkill and skunks up the hill in winter to the mountain retreat in an effort to prove his theories....

Ten winters he did this, total dedication to trying to fathom extremely complex behaviour patterns..

In his second book "The mind of a raven" he tries to figure how ravens find their food ( amongst many many other things) The behaviours are so complex, he starts to believe they can only do it by smell, he devsied many experiments to try and ascertain this notion..... all ended badly in failure, untill finally he figures it..... Ravens have no sense of smell, and they dont find their food this way..

I wont give away how they do... suffice to say, if you bury a rancid skunk as long as you are being watched by the ravens , they will find it, but if you do it seruptiosously in the night, they wont.

In all seriousness, if you are really interested in cognitive behaviour experiments, these are certainly two books for you, heindrich dedicated so many years to these studies and made some amazing discoveries...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
where have you been, what have you been upto, have you been doing reason.abelton.??

Not yet Rossy, will get around to it, just too much on at the mo!

The pressie was of an unusual construction, it consisted of a overipe banana with two tomatoes not very carefully , (but extremely securely) sellotaped to one end, with a card attatched that read "this is you, this is"

I rechecked the return address to see if it had definately come from young Rossy, and allthough he had used some subterfuge by trying to make out it had come from the Welsh singer Tom Jones , we rumbled that it must have been sent by young Rossy, because we didnt believe Tom Jones would have just put his initials on the return address.

Are you sure TJ's address wasn't suppose to be the forwarding address?

Griffin is an acedemic bird that does not mince

U sure? pmsl smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah Wayne, there you are! now dont go teasing Poor griffin, he allready has a very bad disease that cannot be cured by conventional medicine, and is wasting away with just half a bowl of soup a day, and stale bread for his packed lunch at work.
someone should give him a cigar, as its not really smoking, or not smoking.. as you dont inhale, that will get rid of a cough anyways..sooner or later...

Anyways pink floyd dudes and dudettes and "have a cigar"

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello!

This week it has been raining on my city, and the weather is already cold. Here we have no autumn, since we pass from hot to cold too easily.

Anyway, I wanted to post about a great soviet composer: Gavriil Popov. He has been unfairly forgotten throughout the time. Popov had serious problems with the soviet regimen like many others composers of his time, but when he could compose with freedom, he wrote amazing music, like this magical Chamber Symphony.

It’s a bit long, but is a worth listening. If any of you have enough time, I encourage listening to this little symphony carefully.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Ah Wayne, there you are! now dont go teasing Poor griffin, he allready has a very bad disease that cannot be cured by conventional medicine, and is wasting away with just half a bowl of soup a day, and stale bread for his packed lunch at work.
someone should give him a cigar, as its not really smoking, or not smoking.. as you dont inhale, that will get rid of a cough anyways..sooner or later...

Anyways pink floyd dudes and dudettes and "have a cigar"

Well it seems I need to step in here to clear up any misperceptions about things. It's too bad I'll have to wait until I get to my desktop in order to hear Pink Floyd. I'll hear it later. However, I do hope there are no cigars in it. I loathe cigars, and I doubt they would have any medicinal value for the condition of the ailing mythological character Rossy described grin

BTW Rossy, haven't I told you a hundred-million times not to exagerate? Well, maybe I've only told you that a million times. I'll get back to you on the exact number! I do want to set a good example by being accurate! laugh

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Griffin! Nice to see you. We have posted at the same time!. I hope you are doing well.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Good morning everyone! This often happens to me. I go to sleep thinking I'm going to post one thing, and then I wake up with something completely different. I have no idea as to why.

Today is no exception. Last night we were watching a great video of Elton John at Madison Square Garden celebrating his 60th birthday. An awesome concert, I must say. I went to bed certain I would post some Elton John music. Instead I woke up this morning thinking about Lucinda Williams. HUH!!! I have no idea why. Now don't get me wrong. I love Lucinda Williams' music. I have some of her albums. I just don't know why she occupied Griffin's brain this morning.

I guess the occupation of Griffin's brain wasn't complete enough. The next thing I know is I'm thinking about AimeeO. I wondered if she might like to hear some Lucinda Williams too. After investigating, I found out AimeeO has posted Lucinda's music once before. All of a sudden I'm visualizing Lucinda and AimeeO standing side by side holding up posters. "More Lucinda!" the banners read. The banners kept multiplying into a sea of banners with the clear message being held up by people I don't even recognize. Perhaps it was just a crazy dream resulting from my recovering from that pesky virus. Don't know. At any rate, I shall happily bow to the demands for more Lucinda Williams music. I'm easy!

After I get through with my Lucinda postings I think I'll take a nap and see if I can continue that dream where that sea of banner holders are so happy they spontaneously write a new message on their banners, "Occupy Wall Street". What might that dream look like?

Now, here's Lucinda Williams, "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road"

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Here's more Lucinda Williams.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Finally, I leave you with Lucinda Williams' beautiful "Blue". Enjoy your Saturday everyone!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

After I get through with my Lucinda postings I think I'll take a nap and see if I can continue that dream where that sea of banner holders are so happy they spontaneously write a new message on their banners, "Occupy Wall Street". What might that dream look like?

How about a twisted, unsanitary, violent nightmare?

Here's Lucinda's best known tune (thanks to the over-produced "Country" version by Mary Chapin Carpenter a little while back) - I've always liked her Grif - I have 3 or 4 of her older albums and remember her from "Austin City Limits" and other TV shows - thanks for the reminder - I need to check in here more often!

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Originally Posted by griffin2417

Here's Lucinda's best known tune (thanks to the over-produced "Country" version by Mary Chapin Carpenter a little while back) - I've always liked her Grif - I have 3 or 4 of her older albums and remember her from "Austin City Limits" and other TV shows - thanks for the reminder - I need to check in here more often!

Trap

Nice Lucinda posting Trap. I've enjoyed this as well. I remember her on Austin City Limits sharing the stage with Roseann Cash, and Emmy Lou Harris. It's a great program to get introduced to a wide variety of artists.

Of course, my music tastes are VERY eclectic grin You won't see any Lucinda Williams posted by me on Sunday. I'm already working on my regular "Classical Sunday Music" postings!

Enjoy your Saturday!

Carl

Page 105 of 370 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission