Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
173 registered (Albunea, Alexander Borro, amv256, 47 invisible), 1613 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1819358 - 01/05/12 09:46 PM Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another)
dcb1987 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi,

Quick background: From late elementary school through the beginning of high school, I learned piano on a family heirloom upright (not sure what type or if it was any good...would guess no, though).

Of course, I hated piano then, though I made decent progress. Recently, I have taken piano back up and absolutely love it. I'm more interested in learning classical, but I like some pop from time to time.

My skills have regressed quite a bit (I would probably consider myself an advanced beginner on a good day). I've been practicing on a friends keyboard (low quality) and on an upright in the break room at my grad school when I can.

I'd like to buy a digital piano but I'd like to make sure the piano I get is of good quality (at least in my price range) and has room for me to grow (probably about 4-6 years before I'll upgrade again). I'm most interested in the DP that can best replicate the sound and feel of an acoustic. I don't care about multiple voices, portability is of no concern, and I don't care much about aesthetics (nicer looking is always better of course, but far from a priority).

As a grad student I have some money saved but won't have any income to replace it for several years. Keeping this in mind, $2000 is my absolute max, $1500ish is probably a bit safer in terms of saving money for other pursuits, and roughly 1000 would be sort of ideal, if I'm not sacrificing too much.

Given all this, the p155 keeps coming to mind. Reasonably priced at about 900 to 1000, relatively good quality. Thoughts? Too old? Are there other DP in the under 2000 range that are worth the extra $$ over this (e.g. YDP 181, though I'd rather get increased quality for same price even if it means sacrificing the console)? Should I wait until NAMM to see if a new model announcements push prices down (esp. for the aging p-155)? I'm getting a bit antsy, not having a piano to play on regularly.

Thanks for reading such a long post. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Edited by dcb1987 (01/05/12 09:48 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1819361 - 01/05/12 09:49 PM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Roland FP-7F.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1819391 - 01/05/12 10:26 PM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Go to a local store. They all carry Yamaha and Roland. See if you like the P155. If you do, get that. It's the best deal in digital pianos. Good sounds, good action, small, cheap. It's not too old. I expect that it will be years before it will be replaced. (use headphones when testing)

If you hate the Yamaha feel or sound, then look to the Roland FP7F.

Failing that, consider Kawai MP6. The problem will be finding a place to test it, but it's a winner.

#1819432 - 01/05/12 11:42 PM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
dcb1987 Offline

I've tried both the P155 and the FP7F. While I like both, I definitely did like the Roland a bit better. I grew up playing a heavy upright, but I always liked the lighter grand touch of my teacher's piano and the Roland better emulates that. Sound wise, I liked both. I probably prefer what I heard as a deeper, Roland, but there are times when I liked the airier Yamaha.

So all in all, I'm still sort of stuck. I like the Roland better, but it's not a blow out (yet). I'm just not sure if it was enough to justify the extra 800 or so. I'm not very discerning right now and have been practicing on garbage, so the Roland might continue to please me more and more. I haven't tried the MP-6, but I'm intrigued, as I've heard good things.

Prices I've been able to find are 999 for the Yamaha (with LP 140 stand and bench), 1499 for the MP-6, and 1699 for the Roland (both without stand and bench) - all prices for new. I'm leaning towards the Roland, but just can't pull the trigger. Not sure I'll be able to beat that price, though.

#1819569 - 01/06/12 08:59 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
The P155 is a good value, but there's a fair amount to hate in there when it comes to sound, and if you practice through headphones you'll probably end up hearing it sooner rather than later. Maybe try to find a used RD-700GXF? I see one at Sweetwater for $1550 "like new" & free shipping.
!IMO!

#1820057 - 01/07/12 01:42 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
dcb1987 Offline

Well, others convinced me that I really wanted the Roland FP-7F, so I purchased it. No regrets.

However, I've just about busted the bank and don't yet have a stand or bench. Ultimately, I'd like to get the Roland would stand, as I won't be moving this thing around unless my landlord kicks me out when I can't afford rent next month laugh. So, can you guys give me suggestions on a stand and bench that come to a total of about $100 or less, keeping in mind that I will be able to upgrade to better equipment in 4 to 6 months.

For the stand, first and foremost, I want something that can hold the board safely and securely. I'd also like to be able to comfortably place my legs in the proper position without hitting some bar on the stand. I won't be moving the piano around, so portability is not an issue.

If I have to skimp now, I'd prefer it be on the bench. Something functional at the proper height. More comfortable if possible at such a limited price range.

If it matters, I'm 6'1 195.

Thanks! These forums have been really informative.

#1820086 - 01/07/12 03:34 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformStd is all the stand you will ever need.
Nobody needs a bench ...I use a cheap office chair ...nothing is as comfortable.

#1820088 - 01/07/12 03:39 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: Dr Popper]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformStd is all the stand you will ever need.
Nobody needs a bench ...I use a cheap office chair ...nothing is as comfortable.

I disagree. I have one, and there is some side to side wobble. It's not too bad, but I do not think it qualifies as "all the stand you will ever need" by any means.

Greg.

#1820095 - 01/07/12 04:02 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
Kawai James Offline

Absolutely no side-to-side wobble on my K&M stand.

James
x

#1820096 - 01/07/12 04:05 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

James - got a link to your stand?

#1820101 - 01/07/12 04:11 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
Kawai James Offline

#1820105 - 01/07/12 04:36 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Looks like a more solid version of the Onstage idea, doesn't it.
Anyway, in my honest opinion, the KS7150 is not quite stable enough for everyday use, assuming mine is functioning properly. It is great for casual use when travelling though, and that's why I have this stand.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I've seen positive comments about the stability of these other two Onstage stands: KS7350 folding Z and WS8550 T Stand

Greg.

#1820691 - 01/08/12 05:37 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Note that I've only had my PX-330 on the KS7150 so far. The amount of wobble may depend on the weight of the keyboard. The PX-330 is extremely light.

#1820812 - 01/08/12 10:34 AM Re: Need help deciding on a DP (sorry, yet another) [Re: dcb1987]
OPATRIOT Offline

Gday Friend .. I just purchased the Roland stand ..this one and it is easy setup and stable .. I have the P155 ..
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/roland-ks-18z-keyboard-stand--88-keys/450697000000000

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A pianist's 'touch' affects sustained tone - NOT!
by prout
25 minutes 37 seconds ago
Will Steinway really pay me to downgrade my Bösendorfer?
by Thrill Science
29 minutes 12 seconds ago
Roland F-130R review
by JaneW
Today at 01:02 PM
a take on piano (again) new to the forum
by Spinel
Today at 11:43 AM
Should a child begin his lessons on a digital piano?
by viettube22
Today at 11:26 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,439 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,380 Topics
2,411,147 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission