2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Eric,
Great report.
It looks like you had a good time.

Frank,
Yes, Christian Bluthner IS that tall.
Sometimes I wonder if the European piano industry have a 6'5 plus height requirement.

The super tall club includes Christian Bluthner and his brother Knut Bluthner (who is the designer and production manager for Bluthner), Andreas Kaufmann (head of Bosendorfer marketing), Veno Laul of the Laul Estonia piano factory (Indrek's father), and Christian Hoferl (formerly of Bosie and now of Brodmann) among others.

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Double post.

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
Hi Eric--cool stuff. Thanks for sharing your personal impressions to us non-industry schlubs with limited travel funds.

And Alex, your post came off to me as defensive, insulting and condescending (in that order), and was particularly unwarranted since I saw nothing in Eric's description of Bluthner other than praise. Hopefully not opening a can of worms to derail this thread, but I thought it should be mentioned. Just an impartial observer here. Normally I enjoy reading your stuff.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

While Steingraeber uses the traditional laminated inner and outer rim construction, there are a number of other things they do differently.

One is the strings in the treble pass through holes drilled in the capo bar, rather than passing underneath (sorry, no photo). Anything in the capo bar area has to do with power and sustain, but maybe Ori can explain their specific reason?

They also spread black sand on the soundboard and activate it, looking for areas where the sand collects showing inactive sections. They then contour the soundboard to even out the sand distribution.

[Linked Image]

There are other unique steps, including a very interesting optional hammershank knuckle and optional bridge termination. But, at Steingraebers heart is traditional, hand craftsmanship with a specific sound in mind, following design ideas developed over many years.

Bayreuth is, first, not pronounced as it looks, and, as I'm sure everyone knows, is the home of Richard Wagner and the annual Wagner festival held at the Festspielhaus that was built for him.
[Linked Image]

I took this photo the evening we arrived. The next day, even though it was April, we were there in a lovely light snow.

Here are a couple of short videos. I compressed them a lot but they still take a minute to load.

The first is of Wagners home Wahnfried

The second is of the setting of Wagners grave.

Wagner married Franz Liszt's daughter. Papa Liszt is also buried in Bayreuth.

[Linked Image]

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Eric, thanks for this great thread and all the pics and info.
Very fascinating.
I also love living vicariously through your piano travels.

Putting sand on a vibrating sound board that distributes itself to show where the board needs to be modified for better sound is very clever.

Interesting that Steingraeber bass bridge is not cantilevered.
Don't all other makers cantilever the bass bridge on such a short piano?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Frank

My son really enjoyed the trip. His favorite parts were going over 100 mph for the first time:

[Linked Image]

and pretending that he owned a Trabi at the DDR museum in Berlin.

[Linked Image]

I also have a photo of him in Erich Mielkes office at the old Stasi headquarters in Berlin. It should be interesting when he gets to the Cold War in school

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Which brings me to one of my themes: high end makers often have qualities that come from their locale, either geographic or cultural or both. In my opinion the Bluthner piano is a great example of a unique individual instrument very much a product of its cultural environment.
Exactly - you nailed it!

P.S. Wonderful report.....

Norbert thumb

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm going to touch on another of my themes, namely that, at this level, to say that one particular feature or construction technique is better than another is nonsensical. Each of these makers has had a long time to learn what works and what doesn't.

More importantly, each has dedicated themselves to a particular idea of how a piano should sound, and imbued their instruments with this specific, very unique personality. This is why somebody considering purchasing a high end piano should spend more time playing them than worrying about whether something is "better" or "worse" than something else. Each feature plays a critical role in that makers unique sound and personality.

Now, extending this a little, one can also see that this makes sense since composers, at least the ones that people remember, also have very distinctive personalities and sounds. That unique, distinctive, memorable sound is what allows us to identify Brahms from Schubert, regardless if we have any idea of historical styles or not. These high end makers have all had close relationships with the composers and musical styles of their times. The sounds of their instruments have a direct relationship with the experience the company has had with the culture and personalities of their time. This is what makes the world of high end pianos so much fun (at least to me, and at least a couple of other similar nut-cases).

So, extending this a bit further, this is why I have trouble accepting the idea that there is one particular piano sound that is best for all performers, all composers, all halls and all audiences.

But, that's just me.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Bose Eric posted,
More importantly, each has dedicated themselves to a particular idea of how a piano should sound, and imbued their instruments with this specific, very unique personality.
I think that this is what Norbert is referring to when he mentions "soul."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Boxer:
Hi Eric--cool stuff. Thanks for sharing your personal impressions to us non-industry schlubs with limited travel funds.

And Alex, your post came off to me as defensive, insulting and condescending (in that order), and was particularly unwarranted since I saw nothing in Eric's description of Bluthner other than praise. Hopefully not opening a can of worms to derail this thread, but I thought it should be mentioned. Just an impartial observer here. Normally I enjoy reading your stuff.
Boxer, I really didn't have a problem with Eric's first post I just thought the conclusion he came to regarding what makes a Blüthner unique needed to be clarified.

My curt response was to his now deleted second response which I quoted and have now deleted myself.

But in the end no harm no foul, I appreciate Eric's great pictures and fun descriptions.

Blüthner USA, LLC
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BoseEric:
I'm going to touch on another of my themes, namely that, at this level, to say that one particular feature or construction technique is better than another is nonsensical. Each of these makers has had a long time to learn what works and what doesn't.

More importantly, each has dedicated themselves to a particular idea of how a piano should sound, and imbued their instruments with this specific, very unique personality. This is why somebody considering purchasing a high end piano should spend more time playing them than worrying about whether something is "better" or "worse" than something else. Each feature plays a critical role in that makers unique sound and personality.

Now, extending this a little, one can also see that this makes sense since composers, at least the ones that people remember, also have very distinctive personalities and sounds. That unique, distinctive, memorable sound is what allows us to identify Brahms from Schubert, regardless if we have any idea of historical styles or not. These high end makers have all had close relationships with the composers and musical styles of their times. The sounds of their instruments have a direct relationship with the experience the company has had with the culture and personalities of their time. This is what makes the world of high end pianos so much fun (at least to me, and at least a couple of other similar nut-cases).

So, extending this a bit further, this is why I have trouble accepting the idea that there is one particular piano sound that is best for all performers, all composers, all halls and all audiences.

But, that's just me.
Now that's worth quoting, remembering and repeating!
thumb

www.allegropianos.com
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More importantly, each has dedicated themselves to a particular idea of how a piano should sound, and imbued their instruments with this specific, very unique personality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that this is what Norbert is referring to when he mentions "soul."
It's even more so: "identity"

The endless North American "who's the finest on the wall" is not exactly a European tradition where a great deal of manufacturers have always attempted to create something unique and lasting for/by themselves.

This "identity" was often very much influenced and shaped by the unique cultural surrroundings of a particular area, it's tradition of music, its composers, it's political and cultural make up, even religion, food and things like that.

Think of the 'clean' lines of the north, the more colourful shades of the South, the more romantic,almost melancholic tendencies as you move East.

Isn't it nice to have many beautiful flowers in one's rose garden?

This in essence, is what Europe is - and has always been - all about.

Norbert smile

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
N, your post and BoseEric's are well worth repeating. I've bookmarked this thread.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
BoseEric,

I have been away but I have something to say after seing this thread for the first time.

Will you adopt me?

Seriously, tremendous post and great thread. Good show!

Also, both you and Alex have my tremendous respect and have always shown yourselves to be true gentlemen. I am glad this thread ended showing nothing but that.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rich....does that mean you want this thread to end??

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Blüthner and Steingraeber featured in the same thread. Wonderful! :p

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"In a world of mechanization and low production costs, the reasons for spending a lot of money on a high end piano often get lost. These pianos represent culture, history, human craftsmanship and inspiration and still exist as real world objects of importance, rather than some museum oddity like a Faberge egg".

Truly beautiful words.
Thanks

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
double post - please ignore

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
BoseEric said:
Rich....does that mean you want this thread to end??

No, no no!! Go on. Please go on.

I meant that the potential verbal sparring ended. You were both gentlemen.

Usually it is best to ignore me, BoseEric. wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just goofing on ya, buddy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission