Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 52 of 243 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 242 243 >
Topic Options
#1760226 - 09/27/11 07:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Hya AimeeO, I do hope you get better soon, maybe smoking would help, it helps Wayne and I, and mrs R. Actually if you are going to get accused of doing it anyway, then you may as well. Mrs R says "why deprive yourself of lifes little pleasures,especially when there are far more dangerous things in the world than smoking"

I tried to give up smoking once when I was eating my lunch, but failed miserably, the food just didnt taste right without a ciggerette.

Also, I have a couple of issues with the government in the UK...here are Rossys issues:
1st issue, My mam went to Belgium (dont ask why, it was just a holiday and nothing to do with poirot) when she was there she got me a load of Golden virginia tobacco at the cost of £1.78 for two ounces. she got ten packs, total cost = £17.80

here in the UK it costs (wait for it) £14.00 for two ounces, therefore for ten packs £140 pounds.

Obviously, they are not giving it away in Belgium, they are still making a profit.

So, our government is taking £12.22 PER PACK in tax. so for 10 packs they are taking £122.20.....

They have taken this amount of tax since time immemorable, in other words they have acted like the pimps of the tobacco companies, taking the lions share....

Then, they have the gaul to pass laws making it difficult to smoke and in some cases illegal, all over the place, this has put pubs out of business and closed down all sorts of establishments.

But, one place where you can still have a ciggerette or cigar with a pint?

The house of commons bar..

This in itself is a good enough reason to resist.

The other reason, is my grandfather gave his life in the war on a merchant vessal, like many, many thousands did, he rescued ten men out of a minefield in the north sea one night, sailing his trawler into the minefield in the dead of night, after another ship had strayed off course,and hit a mine and sank in minutes, leaving men in the freezing water, some clinging on to live mines.
He answered that mayday and rescued ten souls from certain death..
One of the first things that happened when the rescued men were brought on board his trawler after being dried off, was they were given hot soup, food and ciggerettes.

Unlike the Royal navy, this all came out of the trawlermens own pockets, not that they resented it of course..

For those that do not know what a "mary tin" is... It was a tin containing tobacco and a pipe and ciggerettes sent on behalf of Princess mary to the troops in the trenches in WW1.

A man called Rowland berkeley, wondered about any men that didnt smoke, so he took it to a committee. The committee decided that any men who did not smoke should be regarded as "a special group" and that in their mary tin, they should get some acid tablets, and pencil paper and envelopes instead.

The point here is that all those men gave their lives defending what they believed was our way of life, democracy and freedom...
Nobody would have tried to tell those men they couldnt or shouldnt be smoking,it was their right and their choice.

This also brings up my reasons why I will never carry any identity papers or cards our government decides to introduce, my grandfather gave his life so that we would not ever be put in a position to "show ze papers" in peacetime. To do so, for me, would be to betray his sacrifice.

It is worthy of note that when it comes to smoking, both royalty and government will both do what suits their objectives regardless of any perceived health issues.

Todays rant over.

anyways go here and click on your country where you live...live streaming of floyd!!!! from Pink floyds official channel.... wow..

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/OfficialPinkFloyd[/video]

Edited by Rostosky (09/27/11 07:28 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1760445 - 09/27/11 01:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
And here it is, I think I have found something both classical and unusual at the same time...
check this out....

Amazing! I loved it. Thanks Rossy!

#1760450 - 09/27/11 02:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Aimee. Sorry you've been under the weather. Hope you feel better soon. One piece of unsolicited advice from a former smoker, however. Don't even think of a future cigarette! I tried that hundreds of times before I finally understood I couldn't do that.

Also, thanks for the Donald Fagen post. I like his music too, and have a few of his albums. Right now I can only think of rain because that's what is happening here. Since I only have time for one post, here is B.J. Thomas singing "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head."

Have a nice Tuesday!

#1760467 - 09/27/11 02:35 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Don't worry Griffin - I quit 2.5 years ago. I'm not going to do it. But I've been extremely honest with myself since quitting, and I know I miss it. I'm really too cheap to go back, anyway. I look at how much they've gone up in price since I quit and I think it's crazy.

In honor of the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind being released, here's Lithium. I remember when this album came out, I had one of those "I need more of THIS" moments. I can't believe its been 20 years!

#1760480 - 09/27/11 02:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Here's Lou Reed working with Metallica. I thought I'd share since several of us like Lou Reed. I don't know if I like it. Lou's voice sounds great though.

#1760484 - 09/27/11 02:50 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Griffin, (lol) are you sure you are allowed to say "BJ thomas"
on the pw forums? I wasn't quite sure what that may mean in The uSA..
Anyways aimeeO griffin is totally correct, you must not think of how relaxing that next ciggerette will be, you must not close your eyes and think of that super dizzy first inhale at all. What you must certainly not do is imagine how naughty it will make you feel, how subversively equisite the intoxicating aroma of relapsing will be.

Never imagine having a cool beer with a ciggy, instead of twiddling ones fingers nervously whilst entertaining thoughts of something being missing.

Rossy: here to guide you in your hour of need.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1760485 - 09/27/11 02:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Here's "Pale Blue Eyes" to erase the memory of Lou Reed working with Metallica. I like how you can hear the whine of the tape turning. You can hear it throughout the album.

#1760488 - 09/27/11 02:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

we posted at the exact same time AimeeO sorry...

#1760492 - 09/27/11 02:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Rossy, the worst is thinking how magically 15 pounds would disappear. I was probably too skinny before, and could have used 5 pounds, but not the other 10.

#1760494 - 09/27/11 02:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Not a problem!

#1760495 - 09/27/11 02:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Anyway, off to the grocery store. I will check in a bit!

#1760499 - 09/27/11 03:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah, I can always make £15 dissapear!! as for 15 pounds, wow that aint much, especially if you needed five to begin with!
that just leaves ten, and whats ten pounds, its only five bags of suger or a large bag of potatoes ( in the uK we get spuds in five pound bags and ten pound bags)

yes actually, I have to agree, continuinly carrying an extra two bags of spuds around could be bad for your heart.
Therefore,
Rossys health advice for today: start smoking again for health reasons.

Does BJ thomas mean the same in the usa as in the UK?
just wondering because Griffin isnt saying and he said it to begin with.

While you are at the grocery store could you pick me up a pack of twenty, and hold them for me for a few days?

I totally trust you not to smoke more than half...

Edited by Rostosky (09/27/11 03:02 PM)

#1760503 - 09/27/11 03:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Back to serious...........

If you check out anything at all today or this week...
do check this out....

It's totally beautifull.. in my honest opinion...

#1760517 - 09/27/11 03:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Back to serious...........

If you check out anything at all today or this week...
do check this out....

It's totally beautifull.. in my honest opinion...

Incredible.

#1760538 - 09/27/11 03:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Griffin, (lol) are you sure you are allowed to say "BJ thomas"
on the pw forums? I wasn't quite sure what that may mean in The uSA..

Rossy, I just checked in and could barely contain myself! laugh The only answer I can give to the question (without getting into too much trouble) is "It depends on who you are hanging out with in the good ole USA!" grin

I'll leave it at that!

Edited by griffin2417 (09/27/11 03:58 PM)

#1760541 - 09/27/11 04:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

you laughed so much you said roosy!! hey that can be a new saying.."I laughed till I roosyed myself" lol Pity Wayne is absent... did you check out the moonlight sonata above??

Beethoven called it quasi una fantasia, this guy makes it ethereal...

It actually brought a few tears to rossys eyes, its unusual to have something that you love anyway suddenly unexpectedly bettered...

well done this guy......

#1760543 - 09/27/11 04:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Yeah, now I wish I hadn't corrected it after I read your response. We do need to have Wayne weigh in on this one too! I'm sure he'll have some interesting thoughts laugh

I've got a short thing to finish right now. I'll be back shortly after I have a chance to hear Moonlight Sonata. Looking forward to it!

#1760557 - 09/27/11 04:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Catch you later Griffin... I am off for an hour or two to see if I can fashion an adequate sounding kick drum in abelton.... hmmm, I know what I want it to sound like, but getting what I want is proving tricky...

My guess Is AimeeO didnt make it back from the grocery store without ciggys and now she is racked with guilt.. Rossys fault..
OR,
she bought so many groceries, she couldnt carry them home, and is waiting for a pensioner to appear that she can rope in to carry them in return for a ciggerette.

Or she got early onset alztheimers and forgot what she was going to the shop for , and went ten pin bowling instead because its more fun.

#1760563 - 09/27/11 04:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
Don't worry Griffin - I quit 2.5 years ago. I'm not going to do it. But I've been extremely honest with myself since quitting, and I know I miss it. I'm really too cheap to go back, anyway. I look at how much they've gone up in price since I quit and I think it's crazy.

Aimee, congrats on 2.5 away from the cigarettes!! It's quite an accomplishment. I know what you mean about the prices going up. I quit in the 1980s. I'm absolutely amazed at what they cost today!!

#1760579 - 09/27/11 05:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, I loved the Moonlight Sonata! I agree that it's very beautiful! I'm going to check out some of the other things this guy performs when I get more time this evening. Thanks!

Good luck on your efforts with the kick drum sound. One day, you and Wayne are going to have to help me understand more of the electronic side of things with the piano.

I'm holding off for several months until I get closer to my retirement. Right now, I barely have enough time to practice and rebuild my repertoire! I'll check in later!

#1760616 - 09/27/11 05:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

night night dudes and dudettes,
sleep well..

#1760994 - 09/28/11 09:08 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone! It's sunny in my part of the world right now. I'm going to have a busy day. I may not have much time to post. However, I must do this post. It makes me smile and brings me tears of joy. It's all about friends, and I'm definitely thinking about my friends I'm getting to know on this wonderful thread as well as my friends here at home. This one post is for all of you!

Have a wonderful day!

#1761021 - 09/28/11 10:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hi Griffin. Thanks for your beautiful post. Have also a wonderful day you too.

BTW, I loved the videos of Rossy about the glass harp. It's absolutely impressive!

Sadly I’ll never play a glass harp, but in contrast, I’ve ever interested in playing piano four hands; it has to be funny. I wish that I could do it someday.

It would be fantastic to play one of the Slavonic Dances by Dvorak on its original version, for example:

#1761100 - 09/28/11 01:08 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Evening all, looks like I missed all the fun yesterday! I did get chance to see the moonlight sonata last night however, how cool is that! Coincidentally, the first one you posted Rossy, I saw on TV the night before last, on a program about most viewed YT clips!

As for BJ Thomas, this is my first encouter with him, HONESTLY, but I must say, he sounds multi-talented (he can also sing)!

#1761105 - 09/28/11 01:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Recaredo, lovely piece of music... But rossy has to argue with you, but only for your own good: Never, never ever say "I will never play glass harp or armonica" You just never know what will happen in life, you cannot tell what is round the next corner.
One day you may just be bimbleing allong minding your own business and thinking of sandwich choices, you may turn a corner in an unfamiliar town, or a girl may invite you to her flat, and guess what?

There, just round that corner eminates a beautifull sound, you go over attracted by the beauty, after all, you have nothing better to do at that very moment, and there is a guy playing the glass armonica, you watch, he finishes and you say thank you and start a conversation... he asks if you would like a go, as he was just about to pack up for the day anyway...he shows you where the notes are, which are sharps and which are flats...you are amazed and enjoy it.

Or the girl that invited you to her flat... as you are walking there you mention the piano, she asks if you play, you say yes... she says I play an instrument, but doesnt say what... when you get to her flat, you are amazed at the table containing the glass armonica.... again you get to have a go..

One of the most oddest things in this world I have found in all my travels and tribulations, is that just when you think it is immposible that something could happen... it does happen....
In fact, just when you are not expecting that something like this could happen, is exactly when it is most likely to happen.

Mark my words, there will be what folk will call "co-incidental" happenings of glass harmonicas soon enough.. I just bet you.

Spain is a country that has a very good supply of wine glasses, which means there will be many folk who have got into this,in different ways.

But, it might not be tommorrow, or next week, it will be when you have probably just forgotten all about it...

Rossys prediction of the week: Recaredo will one day get the chance to have a go on a glass harp /armonica, probably just when he isnt expecting to.

#1761132 - 09/28/11 01:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
Evening all, looks like I missed all the fun yesterday! I did get chance to see the moonlight sonata last night however, how cool is that! Coincidentally, the first one you posted Rossy, I saw on TV the night before last, on a program about most viewed YT clips!

As for BJ Thomas, this is my first encouter with him, HONESTLY, but I must say, he sounds multi-talented (he can also sing)!

You handled that response beautifully Wayne. wink I knew you would!

#1761136 - 09/28/11 02:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hello folks. I'm on my lunch break, and just checking in. Recaredo, I really enjoyed the Dvorak piano duet. It's too bad we can't do a virtual piano duet in the future. Unfortunately, I have plenty of work with the piano pieces my teacher gave me to work on during the summer while he was on leave. YIKES!! I've still got my work cut out for me!

Rossy, I have to get back to work. However, I'm looking for an Andean post I think you might enjoy. We'll see how much time I can squeeze in today. If not, we'll get to it another day!

Aimee, I hope you're feeling better.

Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday everyone!

#1761157 - 09/28/11 02:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think griffin just said "wayne handled thomas well" but I can't be certain.

#1761231 - 09/28/11 05:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Some Theramin, its strange and unusual, its also like a sort of magic instrument. In fact, you know how your not meant to look at your fingers when playing the piano?

Well, with the theramin, theres no where to look at... how odd is that?

#1761239 - 09/28/11 05:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh dudes and dudettes, listen to the backing in this track and tell me you dont have one big grin afterwards...
From a very long time ago indded,
The memphis jug band......
Enjoy...

Page 52 of 243 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 242 243 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To bid.....or not to bid
by Bob
Today at 04:10 PM
Kawai ES100 splitting point
by tower120
Today at 03:54 PM
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
Today at 02:42 PM
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
Today at 01:58 PM
Happy Birthday Charles Ives!!
by Dfrankjazz
Today at 01:11 PM
Who's Online
142 registered (anamnesis, ajames, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1926 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158384 Topics
2325763 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission