2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What is the clef supposed to be in the right hand stave? Or was the treble clef changed at some point in history?

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tenor clef.
edit - no it isn't. I don't know.
Soprano clef, I think.

Last edited by Ferdinand; 01/07/12 02:12 AM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I am surprised at the surprise with the manuscript. Am I the only one who has it printed this way by a publisher? I was surprised the first time I saw the first two notes in the bass clef.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
why is this prelude always played so slowly? I can understand if you're playing accompaniment for Ave Maria, but the tempo marking is allegro. Don't most of the preludes have a fast tempo anyway?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Henle Urtext edition has no tempo marking.

Curiously, the AMB urtext shows the second note in the treble clef while the WTC urtext shows it in the bass clef. So it appears that each way has an authentic tradition behind it.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 01/07/12 02:09 PM. Reason: more precision

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by boo1234
why is this prelude always played so slowly? I can understand if you're playing accompaniment for Ave Maria, but the tempo marking is allegro. Don't most of the preludes have a fast tempo anyway?

Bach vary rarely (to my knowledge) put tempo markings on his keyboard works. One exception that comes to mind, among others, occurs in the Prelude in C minor from Book I of the WTC where, at measure 28 there is a Presto indication; at measure 34 there is an Adagio indication followed by an Allegro indication 35. None of the Preludes and Fugues from the WTC has an overall tempo indication at the beginning of the piece. The Allegro marking you speak of is obviously an editor's suggestion. Look at the manuscript in beet's post; there is no Allegro marking.

One reason that the tempos of Bach's Preludes and Fugues vary so much from performer to performer is based on the very fact that there are no tempo indications.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
not so. it can be played fast or slow, depending on what mood you want to make. i once saw an older pianist playing it really fast (no pedal), making it furious sound.

i play it faster, but not that fast.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234

Allegro? Where in the world did you see that? The tempo should be based on the character of the work.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Bach vary rarely (to my knowledge) put tempo markings on his keyboard works. One exception that comes to mind, among others, occurs in the Prelude in C minor from Book I of the WTC...

The other exception from WTC (the only other one as far as I know) is the final pair from Book I: the prelude gets an Andante and the fugue gets a Largo. Neither of which stopped Gould from playing them (beautifully) at a ridiculously fast tempo.

-J

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by beet31425
Originally Posted by BruceD
Bach vary rarely (to my knowledge) put tempo markings on his keyboard works. One exception that comes to mind, among others, occurs in the Prelude in C minor from Book I of the WTC...

The other exception from WTC (the only other one as far as I know) is the final pair from Book I: the prelude gets an Andante and the fugue gets a Largo. Neither of which stopped Gould from playing them (beautifully) at a ridiculously fast tempo.
-J

... and in the Peters edition, Prelude XVI, Bk II, is marked Largo; presumably this is Urtext, as this is the only Prelude with a tempo indication in Bk II of this edition.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have the ABRSM Edition edited by Richard Jones, with commentaries by Tovey. Tovey suggests "Moderato." And the score has the E in the treble clef, with the stem pointing downwards, the editor has written an L next to it.

Interestingly, Tovey makes mention to an earlier version which consists of different chords. I suppose the above facsimile was of whatever later version.

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have "Moderato" too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission