Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1812264 - 12/25/11 03:20 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Yes, there is a Level 5 of supplemental music. It's called AdvanceTime.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1814194 - 12/29/11 01:28 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Just to check in, fellow Faberites; I'm working on Swing Low, Sweet Chariot in the Faber Adult Book 2. I was really struggling with it for quite a while then it suddenly came together. That's happened to me several times and I can only guess it has to do with the muscle memory kicking in. I think I'll have the song down with a couple hours more practice.

I'm also almost through with the Faber Developing Artist Prep. Literature book. I love this book and look forward to starting the next one. It sounds like real music! You can hear me playing a few of the songs if you click on the link in my sig, although it probably won't be clear which songs are from the method book and which are from the Prep. Lit. book unless you look at the table of contents from one of them.

I hope you all enjoyed the holidays,

Dio

Edited by Dio666 (12/29/11 01:29 AM)
Chopin - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28 No. 4
Audio Progress Log:
http://soundcloud.com/rjdio666/sets/chris-learning-piano-12-2011

#1814217 - 12/29/11 03:22 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I've blown the dust off a 3a performance book. I'm going to play every piece in the book. So far so good.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1815719 - 12/31/11 01:36 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Just checking in also.. I'm plugging away on the same things right now.. busy with family for Xmas yet.. Hope eveyone is doing well and Happy Holidays!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1816830 - 01/02/12 01:28 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

I learned two key things today.....first....by moving my upright piano about 2 inches further away from the wall, it sounds much better! As long as I have lurked around this forum, you would think that I would have tried this months ago, but I didn't think it would make a big difference.....besides, I thought it would be painful to try to move my pain....it wasn't.

After the "BIG" move, I pulled out my PA book and started looking for something to play....I settled on Song to Joy (Ode to Joy.) It is written in lead sheet format using C, Am, G, E chords. I experimented with using octaves instead of chords. I also tried using C-G-C instead of a C-E-G. I like the result! I could have sat at the piano for a few hours tinkering with that one.

#1817550 - 01/03/12 12:10 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

Congrats on the improved sound, Michael. You think it wasn't painful moving your piano? Wait another day and tell us how your back feels. smile

I just did that Song of Joy tune recently. I was just happy to be able to play it as written. Maybe in another year I'll come back and try playing around with it.
Audio Progress Log:

#1817621 - 01/03/12 03:51 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

I survived the move! Piano still sounds great! I put another 30 minutes into Song of Joy. I will be experimenting more changing chords. My music teacher had initially recommended that I keep my left hand in one spot to play the C, Am, E, and G chord using inverted chords. I found that the piece sounds better by moving the chords up and down the piano to compliment the melody. It's not hard, give it a try!

#1817817 - 01/03/12 01:34 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Yes, there is a Level 5 of supplemental music. It's called AdvanceTime.

Hi and thanks for the heads up. I went into our local music store to check this out. However, I didn't get this book because I noticed another series from Faber and Faber. It is called The Developing Artis Library.

In this there is the PIano Literature Series with 4 books from Elementary to Late Intermediate.

There is also the Piano Sonatina Series with 4 books ranging from Early Intermediate to Early advanced.

I was excited to see more things from Faber. I ended up getting the Piano Literature Book 4. It came with a CD and I enjoyed listening to all the pieces. I've picked some favorites and waiting until I see my teacher to she what she thinks about starting one from this book while I continue to prep for my exam. These pieces will be a stretch for me but I am motivated to have a good challenge (especially after watching fellow forum member (candlelightpiano) self learn a very difficult piece! After having so much fun with the level 4 Christmas book I have been having trouble concentrating on what I should. I'm hoping a good challenge piece will keep me motivated and prevent me from jumping around between songs too much. (which I have been doing alot of lately!)

#1817819 - 01/03/12 01:37 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Michael Taylor]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
I learned two key things today.....first....by moving my upright piano about 2 inches further away from the wall, it sounds much better!

Hi Michael, my brother has been telling me to do this for a long time (and I haven't!). If he had his way I'd probably have the piano in the middle of the room (haha). But maybe after reading your experience I'll have to give it a try. Of course if I ask him to move it for me then he can say "see I told you so!)

#1817896 - 01/03/12 03:36 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm glad your piano didn't break your back Michael!

I just recorded and posted Scenic Train Ride from Faber in the piano bar! EEEP! Hopefully that will give me some good hints. Practiced a lot today just trying to do the video! LOL

I think I'm going to try to find the theory and technique books that go with these. Might help and possibly a performance book also.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821494 - 01/09/12 12:21 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I found the theory, technique books for primer level for the regular Faber (kids series) and the Performance for level 1 again the kids series. So I grabbed them. They aren't bad. I just ignore all the little cartoon drawings and they are actually helping. The technique one is invaluable for me as I switch to my acoustic. I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. LOL

How you guys doing?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821556 - 01/09/12 02:27 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Lyn in AZ Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm self teaching and picked up F & F Chordtime Jazz and Blues Level 2B at the used book store. I like it very much - I'm currently working towards the end of Alfreds Adult Basic Level 1 - and don't want to jump into level 2 to quickly. As F & F and Alfred's seem to compliment each other I've been thinking of ordering the Funtime Jazz and Blues Level 3. Since I'm not really all that familiar with F & F is there a big jump from Level 2b to 3?
Thanks

#1822031 - 01/10/12 08:41 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
3000 Post Club Member

Lyn in AZ, I don't know about a big jump, but I think it's true that the 3A music takes the concepts you've learned through level 2B and puts them together in more challenging ways. As well as adding more concepts, of course. I would wait until you've finished the Chordtime book before starting on Funtime. No reason not to order it and take a peek, though!

In response to BeccaBb's question about how we're doing: I need to sit down with my 3A and 3B books and work out a schedule to meet my goal of playing all the music in them this year.

#1822198 - 01/10/12 01:41 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Lyn in AZ Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Thanks PS88
for the good advice!
I do have Funtime on my wishlist at Amazon.

#1822664 - 01/11/12 10:05 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

Well I just finished learning Hava Nagila in the Adult Book 2 which was more challenging than I expected. I've decided to take a short break from the lesson book and finish up the Developing Artist Prep. Piano Literature book and learn a few tunes from the 2A and 2B performance books.

I have one song left to learn in the Prep. Piano Lit. book and it's a teacher-student duet. I want to record both parts together so I started tackling the teacher part which is very difficult for me, (because of course it's not meant to be played by the student at this level). But I'm going to try and learn it anyways. One beat at a time...

Dio
Audio Progress Log:

#1823436 - 01/12/12 02:40 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

I just heard two songs from the Piano Adventures Level 5 Popular Repertoire book. These arrangements sound great! I can't wait until I get to this level, (hopefully it will be before I die) smile

Youtube - Take Five
Youtube - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Audio Progress Log:

#1825940 - 01/16/12 01:41 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hiya Lynn in AZ, welcome to the Faber thread. smile

Dio hows the teacher duet part going? Your mighty brave doing that.. lol I just glance at those sections and shudder. LOL

I just interviewed a piano teacher. I get my first lesson on Wednesday. He's going to help me learn out of the Faber books! I am very excited. I've never had music lessons before. smile He's very relaxed and flexible. My dog likes him alot. Makes me feel very relaxed. He will be coming to my home to teach me for half hour once a week. I need to practice! I have to run through all my material at the first lesson so he can see what I need help with. Eeek!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1826400 - 01/17/12 10:06 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

Hey, Becca, that's cool that you're taking lessons. Let us know how it goes with your teacher. I took guitar lessons for a little while a few years ago, but that was before I had three kids. Now I can only practice very early in the morning or late at night, so lessons are out of the question for now.

When I first started taking on the teacher part of the duet, I thought I might be getting in over my head. By I just took it one measure at a time and now I've got it down pretty well. I'll make a recording soon and post it.

Now stop reading the piano forum and start practicing, Becca!

Dio
Audio Progress Log:

#1827687 - 01/19/12 08:04 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

So I learned both the student and teacher part to the duet, "Ponies", from the Faber Developing Artist Series Preparatory Piano Literature book. The teacher part was very difficult for me because it is not meant to be played by a student at my level, but I took it one note at a time and eventually got it down. It's also at a very fast tempo. This has given me some confidence, proving to myself that I can learn difficult material if I stick to it. You can hear a recording I made last night if you click on the Sound Cloud link in my signature. For those of you at a more advanced level than me, feel free to laugh at my talk about how difficult this was. smile

I think I'm going to learn a few pieces from the Faber 2B performance book and then I'll get back to the Faber Adult All-In-One Book 2, (I'm somewhere in the middle of it right now).

Dio
Audio Progress Log:

#1827834 - 01/19/12 12:51 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congrats Dio! Very impressive. I enjoyed listening to it. smile Now you have me wondering if that might be possible later down the road!

My teacher cancelled our first lesson as he was ill. Hope he feels better soon. I finally figured out the 3/4 rhythm on a Minuet. Man those are evil! LOL So I moved that piece into the "polish" section and went to the next page! I'm one page away from Unit 4. Seems like I'm just flying through it!

Off to practice!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1830370 - 01/23/12 03:16 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had my first lesson today. It went really well. I played the minuet for him and that one got assigned as homework to work on my rhythm, counting and dynamics. smile I was also assigned 3 new pieces to learn and concentrated on rhythm and accurate note learning from the level 1 performance book! It's a big jump in note reading skills but I knew most of it. (I read way ahead lol) I performed the 500 year old melody from the same book and it got the thumbs up! That piece is done! (it's my pick for the recital. )

I think he's a very nice fit for me. I still learn most of the stuff on my own, but he's going to help me pace myself (with more challenging peices and reworking where I have problems.) I really like having the teacher work on Faber with me.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1830416 - 01/23/12 04:13 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
3000 Post Club Member

BeccaBb, that's great news!

#1833775 - 01/28/12 05:19 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
3000 Post Club Member

I've improved in the last nine months! Last April, I worked through the first three chapters of Piano Adventures 3A. I found it really hard to play the pieces up to the suggested tempos. Now I'm starting from the beginning of 3A again, for my project of completing 3A and 3B this year. And, hooray! I find it quite doable to play the pieces at the suggested tempos. Plus in one piece there was a fingering that I found quite difficult. Now it's the natural and easy fingering I use, even without looking at the suggested finger numbers.

#1834538 - 01/29/12 09:24 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

Sometimes the fingering suggestions aren't the best. My former teacher encouraged me to write my own notations in my books. Her thought was to play it the way it was most comfortable for me. Hopefully I can get through the level 3 books this year, but it will be a bit of a stretch.

#1835058 - 01/30/12 02:57 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

That is awesome PS! I can't imagine the feeling!

Michael are you trying to do both 3A and 3B this year?

How long does each book take (on average?) Just curious since I'm not book one.

smile Well checking in. Had my second lesson. Did a bit of theory and have lots of songs for homework. That bloody Minuet in the lesson book is haunting me! Can't seem to get the timing down. Arggggg! I will get there! Got a metoronome so my teach incorperated it into my lessons and homework. I have real bad timing issues. LOL All is well though. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1835092 - 01/30/12 03:37 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
3000 Post Club Member

Michael Taylor, I don't know quite how I distinguish, but sometimes fingerings seem truly off the wall, and then I change them. Other times they're just hard for me, but it's a good fingering and any other fingering would be worse and even harder. So far I've found the PA fingerings to be reasonable.

BeccaBb, I don't know how long a book takes on average. I've seen teachers cite about a year per book. This is for younger students. I don't know how it translates to adults. I'm not learning the PA material from scratch: it's more a matter of just learning the pieces. My plan for 3A and 3B is to complete 4 pages per week (plus Theory and Technique); this leaves several weeks spare at the end in case I slow down as the pieces get harder.

How is working with the metronome going?

#1835705 - 01/31/12 01:06 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can keep the beat with the metronome for one measure, maybe. LOL That thing is evil. I'm Mrs. Super Speedy so I'm using it to slow myself down... it's helping that way. I think it might take awhile to get used to it.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1835762 - 01/31/12 02:49 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

The metronome is not evil, Becca, in fact it's quite the opposite. It's like a friend that is such a good friend it will tell you when you're getting fat. At first it feels like an insult, but then you realize it's because it cares. (Okay, that was a dumb analogy, sorry).

The metronome for me is essential. When I learn a new piece I first get it under my fingers, then I play it with the metronome at a slow tempo and gradually increase it until it's up to speed. The metronome immediately shows me when I have a problem. There can be a note or chord change that I don't even realize I am hesitating on until I play it with the metronome, so then I stop and work on it.

Even for pieces that are supposed to have variable timing, I first get it down with the metronome, and that way when I speed up or slow down for artistic purposes, it is deliberate and not just because I don't know any better.
Audio Progress Log:

#1841958 - 02/10/12 02:23 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

How you all doing?

Work on the metronome is starting to get a bit easier using the scales.

I'm finally done with the minuet! *wipes sweat off brow* I'm now learning a simplified Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and other peices.

I have a question sorta. I know I should bring this up with my teacher but I'm really not ready to yet. I am almost at learning 8th notes (which will requrie lots of work.) However after that the next new thing I will learn is Musical form on page 66. I'm currently on page 32! My teacher and I picked songs that filled in all that information in between so I learned by proxy and him. So even though I need practice with ever increasingly hard songs I'm already working out of two level one books. With your guys experience on this, would you ask about jumping up to that point in the lesson book after working on 8th notes or would you just work through it all anyways?

Now I don't mind working through it all in the least. The more practice I get the better. And I do need to work on my sight reading which working through it all will do. So would you ask your teacher about it or not?

Edited by BeccaBb (02/10/12 02:24 PM)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1841967 - 02/10/12 02:42 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
3000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on the Minuet, BeccaBb, and on your progress with the metronome!

I would work through it all in order to get the experience reading and playing.

If you can play them easily, then you'll get through them quickly. If they take more work, then you needed the practice.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, 255, 35 invisible), 1526 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76006 Members
42 Forums
157160 Topics
2308195 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My P155 died. Need a cheaper alternative.
by Lynsey
38 minutes 49 seconds ago
September Piano Bar
by ladypayne
Today at 12:14 PM
Scarlatti Sonata K380 Emaj -- How Difficult?
by ClsscLib
Today at 11:14 AM
High pitched sound from Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100
by Shiverca
Today at 10:43 AM
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:59 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission