2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Bachtrack put out their 2011 statistics. They include most commonly performed composer, works, concertos, operas, as well as busiest orchestras and conductors and various other numbers. Interesting to read and may be to do a bit of data mining... Some entries are obvious: Liszt makes the 2011 lists displacing Chopin while the latter ruled in 2010. Others are less evident (to me): For example,
Bruckner's Fourth symphony was the second most commonly performed work in 2011 after the Messiah. It is followed by Beethoven's 7th and Liszt's First concerto. Mahler is not on that list (Not true in NYC though). Bach, Mozart and Schubert are overall the most commonly performed composers (in both years) and Beethoven was featured in the greatest number of concerts.
Interestingly, 20th and 21st century music was the most performed, followed by works from the romantic era ( a surprise, that).

Here is the link .

Last edited by Andromaque; 01/11/12 12:02 AM.
P
P
This is a weird coincidence. I wasn't even aware of Gustavo Dudamel - the youngest conductor on the list for both 2011 and 2010 -- until this week, when PBS aired a Great Performances program of Gershwin featuring Dudamel and Herbie Hancock.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianomie
This is a weird coincidence. I wasn't even aware of Gustavo Dudamel - the youngest conductor on the list for both 2011 and 2010 -- until this week, when PBS aired a Great Performances program of Gershwin featuring Dudamel and Herbie Hancock.

You really ought to get out more often... laugh
Dudamania has been going strong all over the planet for a few years already.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What!??! Gergiev was OFF the top 10 for 2011? That just cannot be right confused
I always thought of him as THE busiest musician I've ever seen. Maybe he stopped being so crazy?

Btw, glad to see so much Beethoven everywhere. That's how it should be!

But makes me sad to see no Rachmaninoff......... see, I should totally specialize in Rachmaninoff. No one else seems to play him grin

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
[...] see, I should totally specialize in Rachmaninoff. No one else seems to play him grin

In my opinion, given what I've heard of your Rachmaninoff, that would be a good thing! Go for it; we will all benefit!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...] see, I should totally specialize in Rachmaninoff. No one else seems to play him grin

In my opinion, given what I've heard of your Rachmaninoff, that would be a good thing! Go for it; we will all benefit!

Regards,

But I'll miss playing Brahms....!!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

But I'll miss playing Brahms....!!

I wouldn't suggest that specializing in Rachmaninoff would preclude you from playing Brahms. Perhaps you should just "specialize" and not "totally specialize" in Rachmaninoff. Ruth Laredo did play other composers, too, didn't she?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

I enjoyed that program too. I've enjoyed listening to Herbie Hancock for more than 40 years. This was also my first time seeing Dudamel. Great chemistry between the two!

Carl

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good to see Richard Tognetti on the prolific conductors list! smile

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
P
P
Originally Posted by griffin2417

I enjoyed that program too. I've enjoyed listening to Herbie Hancock for more than 40 years. This was also my first time seeing Dudamel. Great chemistry between the two!

For a minute I forgot I wasn't on Facebook - I wanted to click 'Like' on your post. smile

Anyway, I've also followed Herbie Hancock for almost that long through his phases of artistic growth. I loved 'Rockit' and his 'Gershwin's World' CD equally!

Originally Posted by wr
You really ought to get out more often... laugh
Dudamania has been going strong all over the planet for a few years already.

Truer than you know! I really don't get out at all.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission